Tax refunds - anyone else?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dogbones

Tax refunds - anyone else?

Post by dogbones »

I am not surprised I guess. Our federal taxes are still not processed per our online account but they received our envelope per our certified mail tracker. For some reason our accountant still prefers to go via paper/mail and this will be the last year we use him (although it's a family friend). Our taxes are not so complicated that I couldn't do it myself on a program and submit electronically. It's moreso annoying because it's a significant chunk of money ($5k). Anyone else waiting on their federal refunds? Are they still so backlogged?
jebmke

Re: Tax refunds - anyone else?

Post by jebmke »

per IRS web site
WASHINGTON — National Taxpayer Advocate Erin M. Collins today released her statutorily mandated midyear report to Congress. The report expresses concern about continuing delays in the processing of paper-filed tax returns and the consequent impact on taxpayer refunds. At the end of May, the agency had a backlog of 21.3 million unprocessed paper tax returns, an increase of 1.3 million over the same time last year.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
MICKFI

Post by MICKFI »

We have not received our refund either. We submitted taxes by mail in mid-April. Normally we owe every year so it didn’t matter much to us when the return was processed. Seems like the IRS is always fast to cash the check!

This year we are getting g a refund with $5K being in Ibonds. Last time I checked a couple of weeks ago the return was not showing as in process on the IRS website. I’ve heard they have a backlog of 20MM returns.

Next year we’ll file electronically especially if we get a refund. I expect we will because we are contributing to our DAF again this year.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

2021 was the first time ever that I filed electronically.
Thankfully my return was simple.
Received refund of $3K within 3 weeks.
It was an incredible feeling.
Topic Author
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

MICKFI wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:01 pm We have not received our refund either. We submitted taxes by mail in mid-April. Normally we owe every year so it didn’t matter much to us when the return was processed. Seems like the IRS is always fast to cash the check!

This year we are getting g a refund with $5K being in Ibonds. Last time I checked a couple of weeks ago the return was not showing as in process on the IRS website. I’ve heard they have a backlog of 20MM returns.

Next year we’ll file electronically especially if we get a refund. I expect we will because we are contributing to our DAF again this year.
You're ahead of me then - mine was sent in early March! You'd think there's some ordering system, but maybe mine is toward the bottom of a barrel so they're completing most recents :? Ah well - lesson learned -- ETA I just realized you said it was not showing in process!
billaster

Post by billaster »

dogbones wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:49 pm For some reason our accountant still prefers to go via paper/mail ...
One reason would be that your accountant prepares no more than 10 tax returns per year. If they do more than 10, they are required to efile. Apparently they are doing this as a part-time gig.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:17 pm 2021 was the first time ever that I filed electronically.
It's a great feeling, isn't it, that the 1990s are over? :D
It's been said that once you file electronically, you'll never, ever, go back to paper.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

billaster wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:55 pm
dogbones wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:49 pm For some reason our accountant still prefers to go via paper/mail ...
One reason would be that your accountant prepares no more than 10 tax returns per year. If they do more than 10, they are required to efile. Apparently they are doing this as a part-time gig.
That is interesting - I didn't know of such a requirement
mmoneytalks

Post by mmoneytalks »

dogbones wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:49 pm I am not surprised I guess. Our federal taxes are still not processed per our online account but they received our envelope per our certified mail tracker. For some reason our accountant still prefers to go via paper/mail and this will be the last year we use him (although it's a family friend). Our taxes are not so complicated that I couldn't do it myself on a program and submit electronically. It's moreso annoying because it's a significant chunk of money ($5k). Anyone else waiting on their federal refunds? Are they still so backlogged?
After completing my 2021 paper 1040, I paid my outstanding 2021 federal taxes online on 31Jan22 and mailed the the hardcopy 1040 on 2Feb22 (using the IRS address for Refunds since no check was included with my return). Even though the IRS website reflected my tax payment that I made on 31Jan22, I’ve been checking the website every month to see if they actually received my return (I did NOT send it certified mail) and FINALLY when I checked on 2Jul22 it showed an Account Status update. It took 5 months!!
bberris

Post by bberris »

Still waiting for my return to be processed for 2020.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

dogbones wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:09 pm
Professional tax software is very expensive for small preparers e.g. $429 plus $91 per return for Lacerte (https://proconnect.intuit.com/lacerte/pay-per-return/) and there is no such thing as Free File Fillable Forms or any of the other free file options for prepared returns. So paper it is.
billaster

Post by billaster »

Makefile wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:15 pm
dogbones wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:09 pm
Professional tax software is very expensive for small preparers e.g. $429 plus $91 per return for Lacerte (https://proconnect.intuit.com/lacerte/pay-per-return/) and there is no such thing as Free File Fillable Forms or any of the other free file options for prepared returns. So paper it is.
There are cheaper alternatives. For example there is TurboTax for professionals that will do individual federal and state returns for around $25 each. That's half the cost of TurboTax for an individual. There's really no excuse for even part-time professionals not filing electronic returns.
talzara

Post by talzara »

billaster wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:42 pm There are cheaper alternatives. For example there is TurboTax for professionals that will do individual federal and state returns for around $25 each. That's half the cost of TurboTax for an individual. There's really no excuse for even part-time professionals not filing electronic returns.
Intuit's lowest-cost professional tax program is ProConnect. You'd have to buy 200 returns to pay $25 per return. For 5 returns, it's $50 per return.

Professionals may not use TurboTax at all, not even to prepare 5 returns. The End-User License Agreement says:
You are not licensed or permitted to use the Software, or to allow the Software to be used, to prepare tax returns, schedules or worksheets on a professional or commercial basis (i.e., for a preparer's or other fee or consideration).

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/desktop.jsp
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

samsoes wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:07 pm
Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:17 pm 2021 was the first time ever that I filed electronically.
It's been said that once you file electronically, you'll never, ever, go back to paper.
There's a learning curve.
I used the H&R Block software.
I will be using it for 2022 federal taxes that is for sure. :happy
billaster

Post by billaster »

talzara wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:08 pm Intuit's lowest-cost professional tax program is ProConnect. You'd have to buy 200 returns to pay $25 per return. For 5 returns, it's $50 per return.
You can get 20 returns for $519. That's $26 per return.
Or 50 returns for $829. That's $17 per return.

That's dirt cheap for a professional tax preparer.
talzara

Post by talzara »

billaster wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:31 pm You can get 20 returns for $519. That's $26 per return.

Only if you prepare 20 or 50 returns.

You said that a "part-time professional" can pay $25 per return, and you also defined "part-time gig" as "no more than 10 tax returns per year." That is incorrect. If the OP's accountant only prepares 10 returns, then a flat price of $519 would be $52 per return.

This is what you wrote:
billaster wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:55 pm One reason would be that your accountant prepares no more than 10 tax returns per year. If they do more than 10, they are required to efile. Apparently they are doing this as a part-time gig.
billaster wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:42 pm There are cheaper alternatives. For example there is TurboTax for professionals that will do individual federal and state returns for around $25 each. That's half the cost of TurboTax for an individual. There's really no excuse for even part-time professionals not filing electronic returns.
TurboTax cannot be used by professionals, and ProConnect does not cost "$25 each" for a "part-time professional" who prepares "no more than 10 tax returns per year."
billaster

Post by billaster »

talzara wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:41 pm
billaster wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:31 pm You can get 20 returns for $519. That's $26 per return.

Only if you prepare 20 or 50 returns ... If the OP's accountant only prepares 10 returns, then a flat price of $519 would be $52 per return.
Or they can get 1 to 9 returns for $52 each. I'll repeat -- that's dirt cheap for a professional.
you also defined "part-time gig" as "no more than 10 tax returns per year.
No, I did not. I only stated that fact that the IRS requires anyone filing more than 10 returns must efile.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Per the IRS:

As of June 24, 2022, we had 11.2 million unprocessed individual returns which include returns received before 2022, and new tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 1.9 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 9.3 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

bberris wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:12 pm Still waiting for my return to be processed for 2020.
Ditto for my daughter.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
barberakb

Post by barberakb »

I haven't received a refund since I left the military in 2019.

But they sure process my payment super quickly...
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Still haven't received a refund for my 2020 return efiled with TT on 4/14/21 and accepted by the IRS a day later according to TT's email on that date. Noticed on the IRS website there is a "Verification of Non-Filing letter" for 2020 in my records. To make matters worse, I'm having a tough time getting in contact with TT because I don't know my password. I don't remember creating one and don't remember logging into TT ever. Just opened TT (2020 desktop version) and still says my return was accepted.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

billaster wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:59 pm Or they can get 1 to 9 returns for $52 each. I'll repeat -- that's dirt cheap for a professional.
I guess it depends on perspective. If the small-time preparer would have used a Free File Fillable Forms interface had it been available and therefore the interview interface and other features have zero value, then $52 to upload a few kilobytes to the IRS is outrageous.

Maybe we need to ask the OP what the family friend tax preparer is charging. If it's $100, that's one thing. If it's $1000, then yes they're just being a cheapskate.
talzara

Post by talzara »

pshonore wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:39 pm Still haven't received a refund for my 2020 return efiled with TT on 4/14/21 and accepted by the IRS a day later according to TT's email on that date. Noticed on the IRS website there is a "Verification of Non-Filing letter" for 2020 in my records. To make matters worse, I'm having a tough time getting in contact with TT because I don't know my password. I don't remember creating one and don't remember logging into TT ever. Just opened TT (2020 desktop version) and still says my return was accepted.
Call Intuit at 1-800-4-INTUIT. Don't use the website. Desktop returns do not show up on the website, even when e-filed. In addition, Intuit deletes the Modernized e-File (MeF) package sometime in January or February of the next year. To fix this now, Intuit support may have to get a copy of your .tax2020 file and import it into ProSeries or Lacerte. (They sometimes do this when TurboTax just won't e-file a return.)

You should demand that Intuit pay any IRS penalties and interest for the late filing. TurboTax has a calculation accuracy guarantee, and failing to file is an even bigger bug.

You could also mail the IRS a paper copy of the tax return, including the Certification of Electronic Filing that TurboTax includes at the end of the PDF. Include a cover letter that references the non-filing letter, and ask for the penalties to be waived due to a software e-filing bug. This could take about a year since it will be a paper return. You'll still have to call Intuit if the IRS doesn't waive penalties, so it's better to start by calling Intuit.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

Here’s a photo of Austin IRS

https://www.businessinsider.com/photo-i ... rns-2022-6

Here’s a photo of Ogden IRS

https://www.wsj.com/story/irs-races-to- ... m-137aede3

Paper returns are still hand typed (data transcribed) by employees the same way they have for decades. The mail room only opens the envelopes. They are not scanned. It’s all manual labor with employees doing the step by step processing.

The IRS currently has three buildings for paper processing and plan on closing Austin, leaving two buildings. Paper processing will not be improving in the future.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

2021 tax forms mailed mid-Feb 2022 with a small refund.

Still no updates when I check on IRS.

Correction. I just checked IRS to go after posting and I finally saw a real message. Still being processed and no date yet.
Mid-40’s
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I filed a paper return that the IRS got on about March 15th. I filed a paper return because my tax software, H&R Block, said I couldn't file electronically due to the fact that I had other or miscellaneous income. This was the first year I filed a paper return in about 15 years.

Now IRS tracking says there is no record of the return. Fortunately, I sent the return certified mail, and have a receipt showing that it was received by the IRS.

Not that concerned about the refund. It was only about $300. However, am concerned that it might cause some headaches if it isn't process by the tax filing deadline for the 2022 tax year. Also, it's in the back of my mind that it could be delayed because someone stole my SS#. Would like to get some closure. I gave up trying to contact them.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I filed my 2021 return on paper in mid-February, expecting a refund around $750, to be sent electronically. When I do that "Where's my refund?" thing in the IRS website, all I get is that "We know nothing about your return" or similar mumbo-jumbo. I have an account in the IRS website, too, but haven't checked it in about a month. Nothing there, either. I just hope I get the refund before I file my 2022 taxes, as I expect to owe some money (a lot less than $750).
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Wow! Today, finally, I got a different message from the "we know nothing....." one which has appeared on my screen since I began inquiring about my 2021 return back in March, after I mailed it out in mid-February.

I now see a message which tells me, "We have received your tax return and it is being processed." There is a color-coded progress bar with the first of 3 parts colored in red, telling me the return has been received. The message continues by telling me I should get my refund in 21 days, barring any problems, and how it could take longer anyway.

But at long last, there is progress and a light at the end of that long, seemingly endless tunnel. :happy
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"Still waiting for my return to be processed for 2020."

Hey, get in line. No pushing. :mrgreen:

My wife, as executor - or former executor anyway - is still waiting for her brother's $91 refund from 2019. The IRS has been no help at all. Due to the delay and lack of any info whatsoever, the County Commissioner of Accounts has approved the final accounting and closed probate.

Her brother, a Catholic Priest, died in January of 2020.

My wife and her two sisters aren't expecting to ever see it. And it's too much trouble for anyone to make another phone call at this point for their $30 and change.
Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander »

Just as a data point I filed 2020 on paper in Oct. 2021 and got my refund two weeks ago.

I got smarter for my 2021 tax return and did some research. One of the boxes on the W-2 is optional / non-substantive and if you enter it straight off the W-2 it blocked me from e-filing. Turbotax forums say you can enter a random string of numbers and it doesn't matter and will enable you to efile. I didn't feel great changing up the info on the form but it's also BS that they collect optional data and aren't prepared to accept all formats of that data electronically.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

scrabbler1 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:50 pm Wow! Today, finally, I got a different message from the "we know nothing....." one which has appeared on my screen since I began inquiring about my 2021 return back in March, after I mailed it out in mid-February.

I now see a message which tells me, "We have received your tax return and it is being processed." There is a color-coded progress bar with the first of 3 parts colored in red, telling me the return has been received. The message continues by telling me I should get my refund in 21 days, barring any problems, and how it could take longer anyway.

But at long last, there is progress and a light at the end of that long, seemingly endless tunnel. :happy
And yesterday, another great update when visiting the "Where's my refund?" page. It said my refund was approved and will be in my bank account by Thursday.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Filed on 6/27. Mine shows approved. Already got my $7 from the state.

Edit: bank just texted deposit received.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
talzara

Post by talzara »

Cobra Commander wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:50 pm Just as a data point I filed 2020 on paper in Oct. 2021 and got my refund two weeks ago.

I got smarter for my 2021 tax return and did some research. One of the boxes on the W-2 is optional / non-substantive and if you enter it straight off the W-2 it blocked me from e-filing. Turbotax forums say you can enter a random string of numbers and it doesn't matter and will enable you to efile. I didn't feel great changing up the info on the form but it's also BS that they collect optional data and aren't prepared to accept all formats of that data electronically.
Most of the Modernized e-File (MeF) package is ignored when it arrives at the IRS. Only the lines that are typed in from a paper return get sent to the mainframe for processing. The W-2 is not typed in, so the entire W-2 is ignored unless your return is selected for audit. You can actually enter anything on any line of the W-2, as long as that line is not used for calculating the rest of the return.

The IRS collects more data than it uses because of two failed attempts to rewrite the Individual Master File. The plan was to collect the data and send it to the new system, but the new system could never be finished. The IRS is now doing a third rewrite that will probably also fail.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:03 pm
bberris wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:12 pm Still waiting for my return to be processed for 2020.
Ditto for my daughter.
+1. Waiting for 2020 and 2021! $$$ :oops:
Cobra Commander

Post by Cobra Commander »

talzara wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:18 pm
Cobra Commander wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:50 pm Just as a data point I filed 2020 on paper in Oct. 2021 and got my refund two weeks ago.

Most of the Modernized e-File (MeF) package is ignored when it arrives at the IRS. Only the lines that are typed in from a paper return get sent to the mainframe for processing. The W-2 is not typed in, so the entire W-2 is ignored unless your return is selected for audit. You can actually enter anything on any line of the W-2, as long as that line is not used for calculating the rest of the return.

The IRS collects more data than it uses because of two failed attempts to rewrite the Individual Master File. The plan was to collect the data and send it to the new system, but the new system could never be finished. The IRS is now doing a third rewrite that will probably also fail.
I learn something new every day, thanks!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

an_asker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:24 pm
IowaFarmWife wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:03 pm
Ditto for my daughter.
I assume that there was no way to structure things for 2021 such that a refund wasn't coming (or was very small). Sometimes it is hard to do but in many cases, with planning, one can avoid being in a refund situation. Refundable credits often make it difficult to do this - especially if they are large.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:37 pm
an_asker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:24 pm [...]
I assume that there was no way to structure things for 2021 such that a refund wasn't coming (or was very small). Sometimes it is hard to do but in many cases, with planning, one can avoid being in a refund situation. Refundable credits often make it difficult to do this - especially if they are large.
I screwed up, to be honest, plain and simple. Made a mistake copying W2 info into tax spreadsheet and found the mistake only after I had already paid a large figure electronically :oops:

Will triple check my numbers next year!!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

an_asker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:53 pm
I screwed up, to be honest, plain and simple. Made a mistake copying W2 info into tax spreadsheet and found the mistake only after I had already paid a large figure electronically :oops:

Happens. I hosed up my own return one year -- and I do over 100 returns per year. In addition to grossly overpaying on my Q4 ES payment that year I managed to not even include it in the return I filed. So I received a large refund in excess of what I filed.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:59 pm

Happens. I hosed up my own return one year -- and I do over 100 returns per year. In addition to grossly overpaying on my Q4 ES payment that year I managed to not even include it in the return I filed. So I received a large refund in excess of what I filed.
At least the year was not 2020 or 2021!

As you are a professional, I might as well ask (though I've already got advise from bogleheads on other threads): is there any way IRS can be forced to pick up one's return? Or do we just quietly wait for them to get around to it sooner or later?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

an_asker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:02 pm
jebmke wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:59 pm

At least the year was not 2020 or 2021!

As you are a professional, I might as well ask (though I've already got advise from bogleheads on other threads): is there any way IRS can be forced to pick up one's return? Or do we just quietly wait for them to get around to it sooner or later?
I'm not a professional but rather a certified volunteer in AARP TaxAide. I am not aware of any way to escalate this other than contacting them directly. Some recommend contacting congress people but I'm not sure they have any influence here.
Nivek

Post by Nivek »

samsoes wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:07 pm
Agreed. This is the second year I've filed electronically and will continue doing so. I usually owe a small amount but this year I didn't sell some company stock that I thought I would and was owed a refund. I got it back within a couple of weeks.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I had a thread about my return. In short, I submitted it in February. For months the Where's My Refund page had no record of it. Then a few days ago I got the refund.

viewtopic.php?t=376032
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

might as well ask (though I've already got advise from bogleheads on other threads): is there any way IRS can be forced to pick up one's return? Or do we just quietly wait for them to get around to it sooner or later?
Paper returns? No. It’s like finding a needle in a haystack. The returns are opened, sorted and staged. Nothing, not even the SSN, is entered until the last step of data entry (hand typed by employees). So there’s no way an employee, Congress person, Taxpayer advocate, can find your paper return among the millions.