Inexpensive, simple in-ear hearing aids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thirdandmain

Inexpensive, simple in-ear hearing aids

Post by thirdandmain »

Hello, I am trying to find very simple, inexpensive in-ear hearing aids for my mom and would appreciate any experiences or recommendations you may have. She is 91 with limited fine motor skills/dexterity in her hands, and she also struggles with all technology and gadgets beyond the very simplest. We tried a wrap-around hearing aid with the tubes but she cannot place it correctly around/in her ear due to her limited dexterity and general gadget challenges; however, I think (hope?) she could manage the in-ear kind. I would like to avoid going to an audiologist and paying thousands of dollars, and I know that the landscape has changed due to changes in regulations for hearing aids. My research online has led me to the Audien Atom Pro, but the reviews are all over the place, and it looks like it would be impossible for her to operate the teeny volume button - but I could help with that. Any suggestions and experiences are most appreciated - thank you!
TheGiantess

Re: Inexpensive, simple in-ear hearing aids

Post by TheGiantess »

Costco hearing aids! I know several people who say they are really good and great price, warranty,service. Please don't go to Miracle Ear. My in-laws have so much trouble with them and cost $6000 per pair. My brother has familial tremor and can insert the hearing aids he got from Costco despite his shaking. Costco prices are around $1800 per pair including the audiology visit I think. Good luck. Dealing with people who can't hear is hard and so hard on the person who can't hear.
TG
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

It might help if you update to include a little more information. What is her lifestyle? When and how often does her hearing present a problem?
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Costco would be my first recommendation. That is what I did for myself.

You may also want to look into Audicus hearing aids. It’s been a while since I researched them and I don’t recall their products. But I do get emails from them quite often.
Mid-40’s
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I tried the best hearing aids at Costco but took them back. They do have a 6 month trial period, so there's that.

(I ended up with Oticons, very expensive but worth every penny.)
Watty

Post by Watty »

thirdandmain wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:47 pm ....would appreciate any experiences or recommendations you may have.
It is not a hearing aid but for TV headphones like these can make a huge difference. My wife has good hearing aids but still uses these for watching TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-50629 ... 105&sr=8-5
Topic Author
thirdandmain

Post by thirdandmain »

Thank you everyone for these great suggestions. In answer to one poster's question - my mom's main hearing issue seems to be hearing and thus participating in conversations. She seems to be able to hear the TV ok - she lives alone in an apartment in a senior community with a lot of other hearing-impaired people in the building so she can really crank up the volume on the TV. As I mentioned - the big problem is just her inability to cope with the mechanism of the typical hearing aid - the tiny buttons, the confusing (for her) placement over and around the hear, what to do with the tube, the tiny battery. Her hands and mind cannot do it. Hard to explain all the types of challenges a 91 year old faces but they are many. I wish there were something she could just pop inside her ear with little to no adjustments or tiny things to have to manipulate.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

You may find this Dr Cliff Aud video of interest.
How to Self-Program Your Hearing Aids Like a Pro!

FYI - Medicare Part B did cover 80% of my initial hearing test that resulted in an audiogram. Medicare then did not cover anything else with hearing aids and fittings, etc.