Career/life crossroads

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
cwademba

Career/life crossroads

Post by cwademba »

Would like to hear opinions and advice please.
My family and I have an offer on our house (house wasnt for sale) that will give us appx. 2 million in profit after capital gains, realtor fees, etc. We are contemplating selling and moving to south florida with the intent to work part-time/full-time if an opportunity arises. We want to spend more time with kids and family is our thought process with working part-time. Posted below are our numbers and would like to hear if others have "scaled" back on work to entertain a more relaxing lifestyle. Or would you recommend working x-amount of years and pad the accounts more?

Kids ages: 9 & 7
Income full-time: 250k +
Part-time income - 100k-125k with 20-25 hours
Retirement accounts:
401k - 400k
Roth - 125k
Pension payout @ age 55 - 750k @ current salary & years of service
Taxable accounts with sale of house - 2.2 million
New house with cash purchase in Florida - $750k - 850k
Expenses - $75-80k year
Last edited by cwademba on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bloom2708

Re: Career/life crossroads

Post by bloom2708 »

Does $50-60k expenses include healthcare, taxes/maintenance on $850k house and income taxes? Seems low.

If you can make $100k part time, have health insurance and spend less than that, then you should be good.

Not sure I'd sink $850k into a house in the scenario.

It will certainly alter your retirement funds available, but slowing down can be a good option.
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

Update on expenses: $75-80k
I forgot Florida taxes and insurance
delamer

Post by delamer »

There are no state income taxes in Florida.

Have you ever lived in South Florida in the summer?

And always remember that your kids are in school about 190 days per year.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

Yes, we have lived in florida appx. 20 years ago for a short time. We enjoy the heat and just came back from a 10 day stay. We want to be able to enjoy more time with family than we currently have at present time. We enjoy our careers, but not to the point of losing time. We are more afraid we will get bored and feel like we need to be working and are looking for opinions with others that have "slowed down" in early 40's vs. continuing to work 40+ hour. We love Florida for the weather, the activities and the options to enjoy family time is why we are looking at moving to Florida. We currently live in a state with no income taxes, but would like Florida due to its milder winters.
deikel

Post by deikel »

just loose thoughts:

- you are taking the kids out of their environment in school, are they game ?
- what job do you currently do that it is scalable and transferrable...seems strange to assume a part time job will do >100k ?
- Florida in summer - no thanks (other then the conch republic)
- at 80k expenses a year, I don't see you FIRE quite yet, even after the net profit from the house swap
- a main reason for me to still work is to give the right impression to the kids, that may be just me and yours are younger
- where is family and friends in this picture (kids friends) ?

Nice problem to contemplate
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

deikel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:03 pm just loose thoughts:

- at 80k expenses a year, I don't see you FIRE quite yet, even after the net profit from the house swap
But they're not looking to FIRE, just reduce to part-time. Part-time will cover their expenses and they'll still have almost $2 million plus a paid-off house. Plus another $750k lump sum coming their way in a little might than a decade.

Looks like a fine plan financially.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

I have a 350K house in Florida and my property taxes are 6K. I would guess an 850K house may have 15K taxes. Homeowners insurance could be 6K too.

Can you move and stay employed full time and see how the finances go for a year or two. Will you keep medical coverage part time in Florida? If you down shift can you up shift if you want to or need to?
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

deikel wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:03 pm just loose thoughts:

- you are taking the kids out of their environment in school, are they game ? - Kids are game, but they think it is an adventure. We are not really giving them an option if we decide to make the move.
- what job do you currently do that it is scalable and transferrable...seems strange to assume a part time job will do >100k ? - Engineering & Accounting/Finance for wife
- Florida in summer - no thanks (other then the conch republic) -
- at 80k expenses a year, I don't see you FIRE quite yet, even after the net profit from the house swap -
- a main reason for me to still work is to give the right impression to the kids, that may be just me and yours are younger - We will continue to work, just at a "slower" pace.
- where is family and friends in this picture (kids friends) ? - Family will visit and hopefully new friends will be made

Nice problem to contemplate
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:37 pm I have a 350K house in Florida and my property taxes are 6K. I would guess an 850K house may have 15K taxes. Homeowners insurance could be 6K too.

Can you move and stay employed full time and see how the finances go for a year or two. Will you keep medical coverage part time in Florida? If you down shift can you up shift if you want to or need to?
We may be underestimating the taxes and insurance a little. Medical coverage would be bought and is included in the 80k expenses, which could be closer to 90-100k with taxes and insurance? We may purchase a less expensive house, but the quick online searches and the couple of days we looked at some houses on our vacation, it appears 750k-850k is the price range for the house we prefer. Also, our careers will allow us to go back full-time in today's market at anytime and be around the 250k combined income. Our biggest concern is making a move like this and becoming bored, kids not enjoying the move, etc. etc, because we love our careers and life now, and if we sell home, we cannot replace it due to higher costs.
MattB

Post by MattB »

cwademba wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:04 pm because we love our careers and life now
I wouldn't do it. You love your careers and life now. Keep up with that program.

Edit: Alternatively, counter their offer with a $3 million price tag. You have nothing to lose.
Parkinglotracer

cwademba wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:04 pm
Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:37 pm I have a 350K house in Florida and my property taxes are 6K. I would guess an 850K house may have 15K taxes. Homeowners insurance could be 6K too.

We may be underestimating the taxes and insurance a little. Medical coverage would be bought and is included in the 80k expenses, which could be closer to 90-100k with taxes and insurance? We may purchase a less expensive house, but the quick online searches and the couple of days we looked at some houses on our vacation, it appears 750k-850k is the price range for the house we prefer. Also, our careers will allow us to go back full-time in today's market at anytime and be around the 250k combined income. Our biggest concern is making a move like this and becoming bored, kids not enjoying the move, etc. etc, because we love our careers and life now, and if we sell home, we cannot replace it due to higher costs.
I retired for three years at age 50 and went back to work ‘til 60. I’d leave myself some options in case what you say might happen happens. Are the schools decent where you want to move? Can you take a leave of absence and just stay put? As others said if you really love your life now I doubt I’d uproot it … can you cut back some hours, decrease the stress with a position move? When I retired at age 50 all my friends were working so I needed to find new friends to hang with. Lots of new patterns of life when you stop working - just need to actively make that new life happen. Good luck.
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:15 pm

I retired for three years at age 50 and went back to work ‘til 60. I’d leave myself some options in case what you say might happen happens. Are the schools decent where you want to move? Can you take a leave of absence and just stay put? As others said if you really love your life now I doubt I’d uproot it … can you cut back some hours, decrease the stress with a position move? When I retired at age 50 all my friends were working so I needed to find new friends to hang with. Lots of new patterns of life when you stop working - just need to actively make that new life happen. Good luck.
That is what we are trying to figure out, how many "friends" could actually do stuff we are interested in. We are a family that spends most of the time with just us, so finding more friends is not a deal breaker. We cannot go part-time in current roles, due to company only offering full-time positions, but the industry we are in, we could both move to another location and work part-time contractor work or small firms. It is a very difficult decision for us, and we are exciting to "slow down" but fearful of a bad decision.
Parkinglotracer

cwademba wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:28 pm
Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:15 pm

That is what we are trying to figure out, how many "friends" could actually do stuff we are interested in. We are a family that spends most of the time with just us, so finding more friends is not a deal breaker. We cannot go part-time in current roles, due to company only offering full-time positions, but the industry we are in, we could both move to another location and work part-time contractor work or small firms. It is a very difficult decision for us, and we are exciting to "slow down" but fearful of a bad decision.
Let’s frame this as a first world problem … only lucky folks in the first world have this problem. Congrats on being in this situation and i bet your gut feel will help you figure it out. Hope we can help!
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

If you’re really fearing a bad decision that maybe suggests that deep down you sort of know it’s a bad decision.
rustwood

Post by rustwood »

My wife and I are 10-15 years older than you, have no kids to support, more assets and similar if not lower expenses. I semi-retired a few years ago and my wife recently fully retired, but I still worry about our finances - not because we've had any issues or that there is any evidence that we are on a bad trajectory, but because one or both of us will likely live many more years and there are many possible unknown-unknowns - especially with health and healthcare expenses. At your age health isn't much of a concern, but in 10-15 years that could easily change. If nothing else, you're likely to increasingly come into contact with people who have been significantly impacted by health issues - personally and/or financially. We live relatively modestly so healthcare and insurance expenses are a huge part of our budget and planning.

With that said, I am very conservative when it comes to finances and I can't deny that semi-retirement has led to significant improvements in both my health and quality of life. If you are reasonably confident in your part-time income estimates and that you could return to a full-time position if necessary, then I think you could go on this adventure for at least 5 years, perhaps 10 or more. Even if you end up living a more modest lifestyle and/or working full time from age 55 to 65 or so because of it, it may be well worth it to you to be able to spend more time with the kids and family now.

I do wonder what plans you have for your children's education though. As for not being sure about selling the house, is renting your current house and renting in the new location for a while an option?
Last edited by rustwood on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

cwademba wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:17 pm Update on expenses: $75-80k
In 9 to 11 years, you might have two kids in college. Is that in your budget?
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

rustwood wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:50 am My wife and I are 10-15 years older than you, have no kids to support, more assets and possibly lower actual expenses (I second the notion that your estimate of expenses seems at least a bit low). I semi-retired a few years ago and my wife recently fully retired, but I still worry about our finances - not because we've had any issues or that there is any evidence that we are on a bad trajectory, but because one or both of us will likely live many more years and there are many possible unknown-unknowns - especially with health and healthcare expenses. At your age health isn't much of a concern, but in 10-15 years that could easily change. If nothing else, you're likely to increasingly come into contact with people who have been significantly impacted by health issues - personally and/or financially. We live relatively modestly so healthcare and insurance expenses are a huge part of our budget and planning.

With that said, I am very conservative when it comes to finances and I can't deny that semi-retirement has led to significant improvements in both my health and quality of life. If you are reasonably confident in your part-time income estimates and that you could return to a full-time position if necessary, then I think you could go on this adventure for at least 5 years, perhaps 10 or more. Even if you end up living a more modest lifestyle and/or working full time from age 55 to 65 or so because of it, it may be well worth it to you to be able to spend more time with the kids and family now.

I do wonder what plans you have for healthcare and your children's education though.
Thanks for the input. Healthcare will be purchased on the open market and we have saved enough(ish) in 529's to cover in-state tuition for both of the kids. We try to exercise and eat health to help us as we age, but health insurance is one of our biggest unknowns and possibly the biggest reason for doubting this move.
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

Tom_T wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:57 am
cwademba wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:17 pm Update on expenses: $75-80k
In 9 to 11 years, you might have two kids in college. Is that in your budget?
Yes, we have saved close to what projected college costs will be for in-state tuition.
rustwood

Post by rustwood »

cwademba wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:11 am Thanks for the input. Healthcare will be purchased on the open market and we have saved enough(ish) in 529's to cover in-state tuition for both of the kids. We try to exercise and eat health to help us as we age, but health insurance is one of our biggest unknowns and possibly the biggest reason for doubting this move.
Sorry, for the second time I've missed information that you'd already posted, only in part because I was sidetracked while editing my original post.

Glad to hear you've got the 529's covered. I also added a bit about possibly renting - that could make it much easier to do this on a trial basis and unwind it if it didn't work out to your liking as it doesn't sound like you really need to live off of the proceeds from the house sale right now.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

I’m very curious about the details of the house situation... your incomes and the profit numbers seem extremely unusual. Are you literally sitting on a gold mine or did you inherit the property?
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

Carguy85 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:51 am I’m very curious about the details of the house situation... your incomes and the profit numbers seem extremely unusual. Are you literally sitting on a gold mine or did you inherit the property?
Built the house in 2019 and did most of the work myself and we had owned the lake property before prices soared. The person that is interested is from the West (California I think) and has family a few lots down. We have been very lucky with real estate and was able to own the lot outright and pay for our house with me doing most of the work upfront. We have told the potential buyer that we are discussing and it may take a few weeks. We are not sure if we want to sell and either downsize and go part-time or wait until kids have graduated in a decade. Our thoughts are if an offer came in like this now, in a decade it will be worth at least the same and we can decide at that date if we want to sell and go part-time.

House offer: 3.5 million
Mortgage owed: $150k
Capital gains and commission $625k
Net profit $2 million(ish)
New house purchase - $750k(ish)
gips

Post by gips »

what do you believe the motivation is behind the house offer? Have you spoken to a couple of realtors and gotten estimates?

Are you going to send your kids to public school? Have you researched the schools? My sense is that outcomes are good, not great, for the top 5% of fl students but if your kids fit in the mushy middle, there may be some issues. Anecdotally, my brothers live in fl, younger brother's kids were top 5%, excellent SATs, hoped to attend top schools, didn't get in anywhere, ended up with full scholarships at university of florida and launched good careers.

My other brother has three kids, attended same school but didn't have access to top classes (IB). all smart, finished in top 30-40% of hs class, were shockingly under-educated, terrible college outcomes, struggled in college, all dropped out and two have struggled to launch a career. At our public school in NY, anyone finishing top 30% of hs class with good sats/acts can attend top 20-30 schools, so to my eye, a big difference in ny vs fl schools albeit with a tiny sample size.

Financially, I'm sure you can make it work but I'd guess one of you will eventually end up working full time. I would suggest picking an inflation rate and framing your pension payout in terms of future value. Probably brings value closer to $500k. I do like the idea of realizing your housing gain, cashing out and moving to a place with better home affordability. And I congratulate you for putting time with family ahead of career.

good luck?
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

gips wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:32 am what do you believe the motivation is behind the house offer? Have you spoken to a couple of realtors and gotten estimates?

Are you going to send your kids to public school? Have you researched the schools? My sense is that outcomes are good, not great, for the top 5% of fl students but if your kids fit in the mushy middle, there may be some issues. Anecdotally, my brothers live in fl, younger brother's kids were top 5%, excellent SATs, hoped to attend top schools, didn't get in anywhere, ended up with full scholarships at university of florida and launched good careers.

My other brother has three kids, attended same school but didn't have access to top classes (IB). all smart, finished in top 30-40% of hs class, were shockingly under-educated, terrible college outcomes, struggled in college, all dropped out and two have struggled to launch a career. At our public school in NY, anyone finishing top 30% of hs class with good sats/acts can attend top 20-30 schools, so to my eye, a big difference in ny vs fl schools albeit with a tiny sample size.

Financially, I'm sure you can make it work but I'd guess one of you will eventually end up working full time. I would suggest picking an inflation rate and framing your pension payout in terms of future value. Probably brings value closer to $500k. I do like the idea of realizing your housing gain, cashing out and moving to a place with better home affordability. And I congratulate you for putting time with family ahead of career.

good luck?
Interesting and scary how different public school education standards are across the states. I guess the truth is there is a lack of testing/education/teaching standards across the states, especially at public high school level?
Last edited by Wannaretireearly on Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
gips

Post by gips »

>>Interesting and scary how different public school education standards are across the states. I guess the truth is there is a lack of testing/education/teaching standards across the states, especially at public high school level?

to be fair, one of the reasons we chose our town was the strength of public schools, ranked top 1% in the country. If these forums have taught me anything it's that there are a lot of different views on education, particularly when it comes to quality vs cost. In the OPs shoes, I would not consider a move to a place where the public schools aren't excellent but everyone views that choice through their own lens.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Very interesting.Are comps in the area even close to justifying the offer? If not, I’m even more inclined to say jump on the offer because it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity. It’s hard to believe that land appreciates that rapidly without a very specific desire by the buyer with a very large amount of funds to own it.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

If your kids are 7 and 9 now, then it's about 5-7 years from when they should want to be spending more time with their friends and less with you. I think your intentions are totally commendable, but it might be worth mapping out what the next 20 years looks like for everyone before making too big a decision based on an assessment of the here and now, even if you still end up going for it. There might be other ways to get what you are looking for (long family vacation/adventure maybe?) that hedge your overall bets a little more.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Income full-time: 250k +
Part-time income - 100k-125k with 20-25 hours

If your goal is to work less, why not cut out this 20-25 hours of part time work? Seems like you'd have great work life balance compared to now.

$2 million might seem like a lot of money because it is a windfall. I don't think it's enough to motivate a big life change though.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

MattB wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:30 pm
cwademba wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:04 pm because we love our careers and life now
I wouldn't do it. You love your careers and life now. Keep up with that program.

Edit: Alternatively, counter their offer with a $3 million price tag. You have nothing to lose.
Wow! Wouldn’t even consider making such a drastic change when you both love your careers and your current lives. I’d wait until at least one of those loves change.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Duplicate
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

For the OP - do your expenses include school for your children? Will the public schools meet your standards or will you need to put your kids in a private school(s)?

(I'm single and earn way less than you all do and have a house that's less than 1/2 the one you might be buying and my current yearly estimated expenses (with taxes and healthcare) is about 70K... I am not in Florida but I guesstimate I'd still need about 70K per year to have the same stuff I have where I live now. I guess when I hold up my "measure" (which may be way off because it's biased) - it looks like you are underestimating your expenses. Maybe it is less expensive for marrieds with kids to get by or maybe you won't mind NOT keeping up the Jones' you will be living amongst...)
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

gips wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:46 am >>Interesting and scary how different public school education standards are across the states. I guess the truth is there is a lack of testing/education/teaching standards across the states, especially at public high school level?

to be fair, one of the reasons we chose our town was the strength of public schools, ranked top 1% in the country. If these forums have taught me anything it's that there are a lot of different views on education, particularly when it comes to quality vs cost. In the OPs shoes, I would not consider a move to a place where the public schools aren't excellent but everyone views that choice through their own lens.
Hear ya. We have friends that moved from our town (CA) to Florida. They are planning/going grades 6 thru 12 in private, I’m guessing partly cos of the public school ratings/quality of education (either way they have made out like bandits financially, outta CA).
I dunno, I’m in the camp of really understanding if middle/high school will stretch the kid, give them the right academic challenges& support their development appropriately (not solely looking at a score out of 10, test score based, as the main metric).
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

cwademba wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:57 am
House offer: 3.5 million
Mortgage owed: $150k
Net profit $2 million(ish)
New house purchase - $750k(ish)
Is the $3.5M offer substantially above the market value?

It's hard to predict the housing market but it sure feels like a good time to be downsizing. I'd probably take the money and enjoy some family time and work part time if you want.
gips

Post by gips »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:57 pm
gips wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:46 am >>Interesting and scary how different public school education standards are across the states. I guess the truth is there is a lack of testing/education/teaching standards across the states, especially at public high school level?

Hear ya. We have friends that moved from our town (CA) to Florida. They are planning/going grades 6 thru 12 in private, I’m guessing partly cos of the public school ratings/quality of education (either way they have made out like bandits financially, outta CA).
I dunno, I’m in the camp of really understanding if middle/high school will stretch the kid, give them the right academic challenges& support their development appropriately (not solely looking at a score out of 10, test score based, as the main metric).
I have a friend that moved from our town to nc for lower cost of living. it wasn't long before he realized he had to send his kids to private school and it seemed like the private school wasn't anywhere near as good as our public school. so now he's thinking about moving back :)
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Carguy85 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:51 am I’m very curious about the details of the house situation... your incomes and the profit numbers seem extremely unusual. Are you literally sitting on a gold mine or did you inherit the property?

Commission¿?¿? Say what?

I would make them pay the commission if a real estate agent is involved in an off market deal. YOU are in the driver's seat here.
Topic Author
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:59 pm

Commission¿?¿? Say what?

I would make them pay the commission if a real estate agent is involved in an off market deal. YOU are in the driver's seat here.

We are paying an attorney for a contract to be drawn, which lowers to 500k with capital gains.