Trailer/Bike hitch: 1 1/4" or 2"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

Trailer/Bike hitch: 1 1/4" or 2"

Post by A440 »

We're looking into getting a trailer hitch installed on our 4 cylinder Subaru Outback to carry two adult bikes. I see that there are 4 options for sizes.
Should we first decide on what bike rack to get and then have the same size hitch installed. Most bike racks are either 2" or 1 1/4".
Any experience getting U-Haul to install the hitch? The quote I got was under ~$60 and IMHO well worth the time and effort it would take me to lower the exhaust system, drill holes and feed the components through the underbody of the vehicle.
We don't have a need to tow anything.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
onourway

Re: Trailer/Bike hitch: 1 1/4" or 2"

Post by onourway »

I think choosing the rack first is a good idea. If you will never carry more than 2 bikes, and those bikes are not heavy e-bikes, etc. than 1 1/4” is probably fine. That said, the 2” hitch is considerably stronger and more flexible in how you use it, and it’s not that much more expensive to have the larger size installed as most of the cost is in the installation.
neglogic

Post by neglogic »

No comment on trailer hitch size, but I used U-haul to have a hitch installed for our bike rack with no complaints. They did it in about an hour at very reasonable cost. I did not have the wiring installed since we have no intent to ever tow anything.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I decided my Subaru was not rated to hitch anything to it that needed a 2"' hitch. So when buying the car, the last thing I negotiated was that the dealer added a hitch + installation at no change in OTD price to me. In 4 years, I have never used the hitch. I understand that there are adapters that one can buy and use if a different size is needed. I personally would not have someone from U-haul drill into my car. I do understand that some hitches do not require drilling in order to install them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
alex345

Post by alex345 »

Having a bike rack that fits a 2" hitch will be more flexible (fits on other vehicles). If 2" is an option for your vehicle I'd do that.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"The standard 2.5L 4-cylinder engine has the power to tow up to 2,700 pounds" - from a google search.
For comparison, my 4Runner is rated at 5,000 and my 2010 Highlander was 5,000. Our 5' x 8' antique trash trailer is rated to carry 2,000 pounds, but I'd never do it.

Fwiw, those towing numbers are for trailers with brakes. My 16' jon boat on a trailer weighs less than 2,000 iirc. I have 3 x 67 pound batteries, two trolling motors, extended rear deck, carpeting and a bunch of junk. Like 2 anchors for fishing in the wind.

If you think you may ever want to rent a small open trailer from UHaul to move a riding mower, motorcycle, sofa or even a load of junk to the dump, get the 2".
Spring garden

Post by Spring garden »

We went with a 2" for optionality originally for bike rack. No you aren't gonna tow much due to tongue weight and overall tow restrictions, but small utility trailer with just shy of a ton of load or small boat is possible.
Have you seen many cars with the uhaul hitches installed? We disliked the look of the hitches below bumpers and be aware it seems like they all rust. You might consider the ecohitch as an alternative to uhaul type hitch as for the Outback model only the hitch portion sits below the bumper and gives a better cosmetic result imo.
The downsides are more expensive and have to take off bumper cover to install. The upside to install is it uses the existing bumper bolts so no drilling and no lowering exhaust components.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

We bought a Thule two bike carrier. The bike shop recommended UHaul for the hitch install and everything has worked fine. Two inch hitch. 2019 Subaru Forester.
Taxedtodeath

Post by Taxedtodeath »

Just installed a 2" on my outback two weeks ago. Went with 2" because some bike carriers only use a 2" and just in case we wanted to pull a small trailer for some reason. We got etrailer.com hitch. Installed it myself.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

When I was looking at bike racks, all the 1.25” options I considered came with an adapter/shim to allow for mounting to a 2” receiver. So I got a 2” hitch installed as there didn’t seem to be any downside.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

For $60, let Uhaul do it. I installed a Curt 13390 class 3 2" hitch on my old Outback using a friend's car lift and while the lift made it much easier, it wasn't a one-person job and took us about 2 hours or so.

If you're absolutely positive that you'll never tow anything, it doesn't matter which size hitch to get. If there's a remote chance you may tow something, get the 2" hitch.
andypanda wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:53 am "The standard 2.5L 4-cylinder engine has the power to tow up to 2,700 pounds" - from a google search.
I know that Subaru says the max is 2,700 pounds but I towed 1,500 pounds in my 2.5L 4-cylinder Outback on the highway, up and down hills and it was not fun. I'd step on the gas and the engine would rev up but there was no acceleration. So there's no way I'd tow anywhere near the max if I had to go on the highway or hills. I've since upgraded to an F150 and there's obviously no comparison.
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

1 1/4 or 2" does not matter as long as it works on your vehicle.

I have a ford focus. Bought a hitch for $100, easy install (but I have access to a car lift). It was 1 1/4 because that's the standard for a small car.

Bought a 4 place yakima bike rack on craigslist. New $220, found for $35. Comes with 2 bottle openers built in. Has adapter to do 1 1/4 or 2". Great for 3 bikes, 4 would be difficult as they would hit eachother. Good luck

An idea for extra space without towing or hurting millage. My personal setup.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c2kbojj1jj10c ... 8.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuklw72x9uzqm ... 9.jpg?dl=0
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

A440 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:16 am We're looking into getting a trailer hitch installed on our 4 cylinder Subaru Outback to carry two adult bikes. I see that there are 4 options for sizes.
Should we first decide on what bike rack to get and then have the same size hitch installed. Most bike racks are either 2" or 1 1/4".
Any experience getting U-Haul to install the hitch? The quote I got was under ~$60 and IMHO well worth the time and effort it would take me to lower the exhaust system, drill holes and feed the components through the underbody of the vehicle.
We don't have a need to tow anything.
Get the 2" hitch. It will be more versatile. I doubt that the hitch will require any drilling. I'd let U-Haul install it for $60 and I enjoy working on cars. They install more hitches than any other company in the world.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

onourway wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:24 am I think choosing the rack first is a good idea. If you will never carry more than 2 bikes, and those bikes are not heavy e-bikes, etc. than 1 1/4” is probably fine. That said, the 2” hitch is considerably stronger and more flexible in how you use it, and it’s not that much more expensive to have the larger size installed as most of the cost is in the installation.
Choosing the rack first can be a good idea. Going with a 2" is always better and offers flexibility to tow or attach larger components if that is ever the case. In my mind; better to have and not need than to want and not have. On a separate note; I've got a Raxster two place rack that attaches to my receiver that is great for the money.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

There should be vehicle-specific receiver hitches available that are ready to bolt onto the Outback. I'd go with the vehicle-specific hitch before something a UHaul tech might cobble together (the quote you received is way too low to be reasonable...caution!).

Try here: https://www.etrailer.com/vehicle-finder ... F8QAvD_BwE

Worst case, buy the vehicle-specific hutch then pay for an install.

And go with 2". There are sleeves available if you ever need to downsize. I've seen upsizers, but thise just look like a problem waiting to happen.
Last edited by Jeepergeo on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

2" will be more versatile (though there are 1.25" ---> 2" adapters, as well).

We had UHaul install the hitch on our newer vehicle a few years ago. We ordered the 1.25" one, since we already had accessories that size, but they put a 2" one on by mistake and then wanted to charge us more for it. They refused to change it, and it was a long, drawn-out mess. We got nowhere with complaints and the CC chargeback was denied, as well.
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

Sounds like 2" is the way to go if we can find a bike rack that meets our needs.
Many thanks!
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I don't have that model vehicle but generally would prefer a 2" receiver. If you ever have to adapt to the other size, 2" adapted to 1.25" leaves more options than 1.25" adapted to 2".
Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale »

I'd counter only with making sure that one hitch (brand, size etc.) won't hang noticeably lower (or further out) than another.

We put a 2" hitch on my wife's 2012 Legacy and it hangs pretty low, but we already had bike racks that fit a 2" hitch.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

UHaul doesn't "cobble" anything together.

www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/#:~:text= ... d%20towing.

"U-Haul is North America's #1 hitch installer. With over 1,500 install locations, we can guarantee you'll find a location near you.

Tell us your vehicle year, make and model and we will show you available trailer hitches and related towing components. You get to choose a hitch from leading brands like: Curt, Draw-Tite, B&W, REESE, and Hidden Hitch."
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've put 2" hitches on a bunch of vehicles and never had to drill any holes. This includes our 13 Subaru Crosstrek. Having the 2" helped me out when my son needed to put our bike rack on it but I needed the receiver for my Jeep to pull a trailer. I had another 2" receiver from who knows where and the hole for the cross pin was in a different location. With the 2" receiver, I was able to locate where its hole was and drill a new hole easily without any squeezing or any difficulty getting the drill in there.

I have an old rack and it is mounted with the tow ball. I've heard that racks these days all have the receiver tongue built in.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Jeepergeo wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:25 am There should be vehicle-specific receiver hitches available that are ready to bolt onto the Outback. I'd go with the vehicle-specific hitch before something a UHaul tech might cobble together (the quote you received is way too low to be readonable...caution!).
I think the OP meant that labor-only was $60, not with the receiver included. That's not a "way too low" price depending on the particular vehicle.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Back in 2010 I bought a new Highlander Limited AWD. I asked the dealer about putting a hitch on it. He shook his head and sent me down the street to a truck modification joint. The Toyota hitch was something like $900 and the Curt hitch, installed and wired, cost me around $315. I don't think the dealer wanted to be bothered and tie up one of the mechanics for even a minute.
t2cycling

Post by t2cycling »

I had a 2” hitch professionally installed on my Outback a few years ago. No drilling or modifications required. We needed the 2” because we were transporting two heavy ebikes.

I recently purchased a 2” hitch from Uhaul and had them install it on my new Lexus RX 350. The hitch seems very solid, installation was quick, no drilling and I’m happy with it. We just completed a 3,000 mile road trip carrying our ebikes and experienced no issues with the hitch or Hollywood Sportrider rack.
chw

Post by chw »

I would first research what your auto is rated to have installed. My Subaru Outback could only have a have a 1 1/4 inch hitch installed. I negotiated the dealer to install this at time of purchase. The smaller hitch size limits us to a hitch that holds 2 average weight bikes, which is fine for our needs. I did find adapters for 4 bike carriers, but I believe the weight would be too heavy for the smaller hitch, and would possibly negate the warranty on the auto’s frame.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

I’ve had a couple of hitches installed by UHaul and they always did fine until I tried to do one last year. I ordered it and scheduled the install but when I showed up they didn’t have it in stock, and kept trying for weeks but never could get it. I ended up finding one somewhere else and getting it installed there. UHaul blamed Covid Supply Chain problems. I would still try UHaul again for the next car, but confirm that they actually have it in stock
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Jeepergeo wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:25 am There should be vehicle-specific receiver hitches available that are ready to bolt onto the Outback. I'd go with the vehicle-specific hitch before something a UHaul tech might cobble together (the quote you received is way too low to be readonable...caution!).

Try here: https://www.etrailer.com/vehicle-finder ... F8QAvD_BwE

Worst case, buy the vehicle-specific hutch then pay for an install.
Uhaul installs vehicle specific hitches. I don't think they actually make their own, but relabel another manufacturer's hitches.

For example, if I check Uhaul for a hitch for a 2022 Outback, they show part number CMF13494.

Curt Manufacturing shows they also sell a part number 13494. Curt is one of the main manufacturers of aftermarket hitches in the US, and each is customized, which results in them fitting a limited selection of vehicles.
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:39 am I've put 2" hitches on a bunch of vehicles and never had to drill any holes. This includes our 13 Subaru Crosstrek.
Whether or not drilling is needed depends on the specific car and the hitch. I have a Drawtite hitch on a 2013 Outback. Drawtite and Curt instructions both called for drilling some of the body tubes for the simplest installation. However, I also looked up the installation instructions for the Subaru OEM hitch, which did not require drilling, but did require disassembling the bumper, and I realized I could follow the same directions for my hitch. Drilling would have been faster, but I preferred to minimize the physical changes to the frame. If I remember right in this, the drilling would have just been to get access to fish the bolts into the place.

All of the instructions for my car required trimming one of the exhaust heat shields, including the Subaru instructions for the Subaru hitch.

UHaul and Etrailer both have installation instructions for the hitches they sell, often including videos of the important steps.
fizxman wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:25 am I know that Subaru says the max is 2,700 pounds but I towed 1,500 pounds in my 2.5L 4-cylinder Outback on the highway, up and down hills and it was not fun. I'd step on the gas and the engine would rev up but there was no acceleration. So there's no way I'd tow anywhere near the max if I had to go on the highway or hills. I've since upgraded to an F150 and there's obviously no comparison.
I've towed an estimated 2400 lbs (utility trailer + topsoil) behind our 2.5L Outback without an issue. I wouldn't be afraid to go up to the rating. I didn't have to go far, but there's a 2 mile long moderately steep uphill stretch of highway between the soil yard and my home. The longest I've gone with the Outback was maybe 40 miles each way. Coming back with a load of furniture, the total trailer weight was probably 1300-1400 lbs. I was surprised how well it handled the load.

There are Outback specific forums with plenty of more anecdotes of towing a variety of weights over a range of conditions and distances.

It definitely is necessary to have realistic expectations for performance while towing, and I would not push the transmission too hard. The extra weight and drag does affect performance, and prolonged hard driving will increase wear and could potentially overheat the transmission.

It can actually do more, but US towing capacities are usually derated compared to other countries. For example, in the UK, Subaru rates the 2.5L Outback at 4400 lbs (2000 kg).

Of course,the driving experience of a vehicle rated for 2700 lbs US towing capacity, designed for its best balance with only passengers onboard is never going to compare to one rated for 7,600 - 14,000 lbs US towing capacity designed for its best balance with extra load on the rear axle. Not too mention, the wimpiest engine option for the current F-150 gives it about 20% better power to weight ratio than an Outback.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

chw wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:24 pm I would first research what your auto is rated to have installed. My Subaru Outback could only have a have a 1 1/4 inch hitch installed. I negotiated the dealer to install this at time of purchase. The smaller hitch size limits us to a hitch that holds 2 average weight bikes, which is fine for our needs. I did find adapters for 4 bike carriers, but I believe the weight would be too heavy for the smaller hitch, and would possibly negate the warranty on the auto’s frame.
That's not because of the rating. It's because the dealer only sells the Subaru hitch, which only comes with a 1-1/4" receiver.

You can install a 2" receiver hitch if there is one that physically fits and attaches to points that have been verified to be suitable for the purpose.

Regardless of what size hitch you install and its capacity, the weight carried on a hitch mount should be under the lesser of:
  • The hitch tongue weight rating
  • The car tongue weight rating
  • The vehicle payload rating minus the weight of passengers and other cargo
I believe the last couple of generations of Outback have been rated for 200 lb tongue weight. Depending on the weights of the bikes and the rack itself, that can be acceptable. There are definitely 1-1/4" hitches that are rated for at least 350 lbs, so the hitch won't be the limit.
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

If your vehicle is under warranty, I suggest you install the size of hitch that is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. For instance, I have a Volkswagen GTI which Volkswagen warrants for use with a 1 and 1/4" hitch but not a 2" hitch. My wife has a Lexus SUV which has a 2" hitch. The only thing we use either hitch for is to transport two mountain bikes. Anecdotally, I like the 2" hitch better. We have a single rack that accommodates either size hitch by way of a bolt-on adapter.
https://www.kuat.com/product/sherpa-2-0/

I don't have any experience getting uhaul to install a hitch. As others suggested, I ordered mine from etrailer and installed myself with two sockets in about 45 minutes. No drilling, cutting, modification of any sort required. Then again, I'm sure uhaul does a fine job as well.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Probably depends on how it looks on the car. Compare the OEM option too. They normally look nicer and are less visible.
hudson

Post by hudson »

A440 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:08 am Sounds like 2" is the way to go if we can find a bike rack that meets our needs.
Many thanks!
I agree; I started with 2" decades ago, and I don't see any downsides.
I was given a rack for a smaller receiver; an adapter quickly made it work.
Do smaller receivers work? Sure...for lighter work.
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

I installed a 1 1/4'' hitch on my 2008 Acura TL for the sole purpose of using a rear bike rack. The smaller hitch was more discreet, which is what I wanted. I did the install myself with the help of YouTube and it was surprisingly easy. I use a 1UP-USA rack for 1 bike and that was fine. I now have a Toyota 4-Runner and it has a 2" hitch, so I purchase an adaptor and it works fine.
I think you've already made your decision (to do the 2" hitch) and I think that is a great choice for a Subaru. Plenty of room and a stronger hitch, which is ideal assuming you may take the car offroad some with bikes in tow.
Did you have a particular brand of rack you will use? If not, I can't recommend the 1UP-USA rack enough. It is a solid piece of equipment and you can remove the rack and place/remove bikes in a matter of seconds. It's pricey, but I consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

One suggestion (of many options and choices):

Professionally installed (dealer/etc):

2 inch hitch system.
Trailer wiring and plug system with trailer brake integration (if ever needed it is there).
Under dash, or etc, installed trailer brake module (this connection if pre installed by the factory in many/most cars and trucks. Suggest getting a high quality module when you need it or at the same time as the pro installation.

Note:

Many factory installed or pro installed "OEM" vs Aftermarket toe hitch systems are integrated into the back bumper system or other, and are higher off the ground than aftermarket toes.

j :D
(dis laimer) many ways to options to do things with many experiences and opinionizations, this is only one.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:34 am One suggestion:

2 inch hitch system.
Trailer wiring and plug system with trailer brake integration (if ever needed it is there).
Under dash, or etc, installed trailer brake module (this connection if pre installed by the factory in many/most cars and trucks. Suggest getting a high quality module when you need it or at the same time as the pro installation.

Note:

Many factory installed or pro installed "OEM" vs Aftermarket toe hitch systems are integrated into the back bumper system or other, and are higher off the ground than aftermarket toes.

My experience with having wiring professionally installed - or when I've done it myself for that matter - is dismal, and there's no way I'd do that (or have it done) unless it was needed for the application. There are a tiny minority of vehicles that already have wiring at the rear ready for connection, but otherwise you end up with wires being run where they weren't intended to be, and may end up with intermittent circuit problems that are hard to diagnose. Similarly with brake controllers, you end up with holes where you don't want them and possibly dangerous projections that could severely injure occupants in an accident. Adding built-in controllers to vehicles for which they were available but not installed might resolve these issues but probably at a cost many times higher than a third-party controller. I'd say the same thing about adding fluid (probably transmission) cooling to a vehicle that didn't come with it installed: an accident waiting to happen (well, not a traffic accident, but a mechanical accident.)
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

oldfatguy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:50 am 2" will be more versatile (though there are 1.25" ---> 2" adapters, as well).

We had UHaul install the hitch on our newer vehicle a few years ago. We ordered the 1.25" one, since we already had accessories that size, but they put a 2" one on by mistake and then wanted to charge us more for it. They refused to change it, and it was a long, drawn-out mess. We got nowhere with complaints and the CC chargeback was denied, as well.
Was there a written estimate provided? I'm assuming you are on charging back the excess not the entire amount.

Was it deny on first round or second round? If the first round, appeal it. No one at the banks look at first round of appeal. First round is to see if merchant is going to approve or deny chargeback. Second round is when documents are looked at.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

seawolf21 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:29 am
oldfatguy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:50 am 2" will be more versatile (though there are 1.25" ---> 2" adapters, as well).

Was there a written estimate provided? I'm assuming you are on charging back the excess not the entire amount.

Was it deny on first round or second round? If the first round, appeal it. No one at the banks look at first round of appeal. First round is to see if merchant is going to approve or deny chargeback. Second round is when documents are looked at.
Based on my limited experience, sometimes even when you're obviously have the facts and documentation on your side you still lose the subsequent chargeback appeals. But it would certainly be necessary to have a written estimate with the specification and price as you point out.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:46 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:34 am One suggestion:

2 inch hitch system.

Note:

My experience with having wiring professionally installed - or when I've done it myself for that matter - is dismal, and there's no way I'd do that (or have it done) unless it was needed for the application. There are a tiny minority of vehicles that already have wiring at the rear ready for connection, but otherwise you end up with wires being run where they weren't intended to be, and may end up with intermittent circuit problems that are hard to diagnose. Similarly with brake controllers, you end up with holes where you don't want them and possibly dangerous projections that could severely injure occupants in an accident. Adding built-in controllers to vehicles for which they were available but not installed might resolve these issues but probably at a cost many times higher than a third-party controller. I'd say the same thing about adding fluid (probably transmission) cooling to a vehicle that didn't come with it installed: an accident waiting to happen (well, not a traffic accident, but a mechanical accident.)
Great points.
Well said. :D
Good stuff based on your experiences to help the OP.

Aloha
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
wunder

Post by wunder »

I have the Torklift Central Ecohitch on my 2015 Subaru Outback with a 2" receiver. This is an extremely clean setup (just like the Subaru OEM 1 1-4" hitch) and more integrated than the U-Haul option. You will need a 2" receiver to support a four bike (and many three bike) racks. I use a Kuat NV.

I specifically wanted a 2" receiver so I drove my Subaru off the lot to a body shop and had them install the hitch (and cut the bumper) with maybe 12 miles on the vehicle. Highly recommended.

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hit ... ru-outback
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

DW owns a 2021 CrossTrek with 2.5L engine and CVT Automatic. We own two heavy RAD e-bikes (~ 65 lbs each without battery), so we went with a 2-inch receiver from etrailer.com for ~ $150. I installed myself with help from DS as it's a two-man job. All holes are already there in the vehicle, but two holes had to be enlarged with a stepper drill bit ~ 1/8 inch in diameter to accommodate a bolt with bracket. Took ~ 1 hour to install. They have DIY videos on etrailer that are very helpful. The two bikes with heavy duty bike rack total ~ 150 lbs, so I'm glad I went with the 2-inch receiver. Something that I found concerning was that when both bikes were on the rack, the brake lights were somewhat obscured. To address this, I installed a Curt 4-pin trailer wire harness and Curt auxiliary led light strips on the bike hitch. Both were purchased from Amazon for under $60 total. etrailer also has a video how to install the 4-pin trailer wire harness, it was very easy as the CrossTrek already had a plug & play connecter available in rear of vehicle next to the spare tire. Just plug it in and ready to go! All in trailer receiver & lights with tax ~ $225. I now feel more confident that the cars behind me can see my break lights and blinkers. Safety First :D

etrailer.com 2-inch Receiver: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/ ... 98912.html
Amazon 4-pin Trailer Wire Harness: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Amazon Aux Led Light Strips: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Amazon Fat Tire Bike Rack: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Important to note that it is our intention to only use a bike rack with the CrossTrek. No way in heck that I would try to pull anything with a CVT Transmission.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
hudson

Aux Led Light Strips

Post by hudson »

AllMostThere wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:15 pm
Amazon Aux Led Light Strips: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks AllMostThere!
I have 2 old trailers. I always worry that the lights won't work when I get ready to go. I may steal your idea and buy aux light strips with 20 feet of wire as an emergency lighting system.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

I often wonder why a hitch bike carrier doesn't produce tickets for obstructed license plate. I mean, if a burglar were sensible (of course most criminals are not) they should steal a car with a racked bike to do their next "job." If the police failed to stop them for the offense, you would be angry.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

crefwatch wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:24 am I often wonder why a hitch bike carrier doesn't produce tickets for obstructed license plate. I mean, if a burglar were sensible (of course most criminals are not) they should steal a car with a racked bike to do their next "job." If the police failed to stop them for the offense, you would be angry.
My state has an exception for this:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.200
(5)(a) Display. License plates must be:
(iii) Kept clean and be able to be plainly seen and read at all times unless an exception in (b) of this subsection applies;
(5)(b)(ii) If the applicable requirements of (b)(iii) of this subsection are met, the display of a single license plate properly attached to a vehicle that has two license plates properly attached in accordance with (a)(i) of this subsection may be temporarily obstructed by one or more of the following devices or by the cargo the device is carrying:
(A) A trailer hitch;
(B) A wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier;
(C) A trailer being towed by the vehicle, provided the trailer meets any applicable trailer license plate requirements under this chapter; or
(D) A bicycle rack, ski rack, or luggage rack.
However, this is a brand new exception enacted just this March. I suspect in many states, it is still technically a violation.

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium ... %C2%A7%201