Fidelity Full View Asset Allocation?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
nolaquen

Fidelity Full View Asset Allocation?

Post by nolaquen »

I'm trying to evaluate Fidelity's Full View tool as a possible replacement for Personal Capital and/or YNAB. Am I missing something, or is there no way to classify the allocation for "unknown" holdings? For example, I-bonds at Treasury Direct all come up as unknown, and I see no way to classify them as bonds, government bonds, etc. Same with all the manual (no direct import available) accounts I've entered.

I hope I'm just missing something, otherwise this seems like a significant gap in functionality for anyone with non-Fidelity holdings being tracked. Thanks!
JanzelO

Re: Fidelity Full View Asset Allocation?

Post by JanzelO »

I have the same issues you described. My wife's holdings in her 401k which are identical to my holdings (we had the same plan for a while at a university) are listed as unknown even though my holdings are allocated correctly. I contacted Fidelity about a year ago when they upgraded the platform and they said they were looking into it (of course that's what they would say) but no action has taken place. I just export the data into a spreadsheet and perform the analysis myself.

Post by 1789 »

Same here which makes using full view is not that useful. Maybe you can use an excel sheet to track your portfolio.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
dcdowden

Post by dcdowden »

I have the same issue. I like Personal Capital because it lets me manually classify investments that are otherwise unknown. I have not found a way to do that in Fidelity Full View. I have downloaded the detailed Full View asset allocation information listing all my individual investments and then manually correcting the unknown allocations. I find that level of detail useful when I decide what to buy and sell to rebalance my portfolio.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Instead of "full view" what about using the Guided Portfolio Summary found on the "Analysis" tab and manually entering non-Fidelity accounts or even entering Fidelity investments/accounts again as non-Fidelity accounts and excluding via the checkboxes Fidelity accounts?

As for "unknown", I-bonds are bonds, so I wouldn't entire them as an "unknown" or "Other" asset class.

Here is a screen grab for how I organize investments manually:
Image And there is a way to manually entire amounts without tickers: Image
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
nolaquen

Post by nolaquen »

Now I'm bummed; I really hoped I was just missing something stupid. Turns out, no, Fidelity is.

It's a shame too. Treasury Direct synced up no problem, which Personal Capital still hasn't sorted out yet.
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

Does anyone use the Net Worth link in the Fidelity Mobile App? I was hoping it would display data from Full View but those net worth numbers are just wrong and don't seem to have refreshed since months. Fidelity Full View is up to date. Anyone have any luck using Full View from their mobile phones/apps?
dcdowden

Post by dcdowden »

I download all the details of assets from Full view to a spreadsheet and make manual corrections on the handful of items that are shown as unknown. I also like Personal Capital because it does let you make manual corrections that persist.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

arsenal_fan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 pm Does anyone use the Net Worth link in the Fidelity Mobile App? I was hoping it would display data from Full View but those net worth numbers are just wrong and don't seem to have refreshed since months. Fidelity Full View is up to date. Anyone have any luck using Full View from their mobile phones/apps?
I had this issue a few weeks ago, but it appears to have been fixed. Full view now displays correctly on mobile for me.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

What is the difference between Fidelity Full View and the Fidelity GPS tool?

You can get to GPS from the Statements tab, then Analyze.

-B
barkerdjb

Post by barkerdjb »

I had left Full View quite a while ago in favor of Personal Capital. I am having a look and had exactly the same question--and specifically because of I-Bonds! It seems like such a small thing to solve, yet all this time it appears not to have been dealt with. If it had that, the allocation report would be the main thing I need, but without being able to deal with "unknowns', not very useful.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Had same issue. My 401k is mostly "unkown" in Fidelity's report.
barkerdjb

Post by barkerdjb »

A follow up. I actually ended up leaving Personal Capital and moving to Full View. A big part of my motivation is that I wasn't crazy about having Personal Capital have access to my Fidelity accounts. This way, it's all inside Fidelity.

Another benefit is that everything syncs with no issues. I don't need to put in a VIP code (beyond what I do to log in to Fidelity anyway), and Treasury Direct accounts sync with no trouble.

There is still the problem of "unknown" investments that can't be categorized. For me that is ONLY my TreasuryDirect accounts. I've found that's its reasonably easy to copy the data out and slap it in to Excel, then categorize just the TreasuryDirect stuff.

It's so frustrating, though--why can't they allow manual classifications? So close!

It is not as good as Personal Capital, but I'm pretty happy with it now.
Raspberry-503

Post by Raspberry-503 »

The funny part is that Personal cApital stopped syncing properly with Fidelity for m3 about 4 months ago. I can't get it to show the joint brokerage with my wife. So it's broken for me and GPS has the same issue as some posters above, where it shows my 401(k) as unknown. since it's 20% of my portfolio and I practice asset location (mostly bonds in the 401(k)) the analysis is messed up.
Personal Capital keeps telling they're "working on the sync problem with Fidelity)
mcnugget

Post by mcnugget »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:03 am Instead of "full view" what about using the Guided Portfolio Summary found on the "Analysis" tab and manually entering non-Fidelity accounts or even entering Fidelity investments/accounts again as non-Fidelity accounts and excluding via the checkboxes Fidelity accounts?

As for "unknown", I-bonds are bonds, so I wouldn't entire them as an "unknown" or "Other" asset class.

I for the life of me can't find this function in the guided portfolio summary, does it still exist?
student

Post by student »

mcnugget wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:36 pm
livesoft wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:03 am Instead of "full view" what about using the Guided Portfolio Summary found on the "Analysis" tab and manually entering non-Fidelity accounts or even entering Fidelity investments/accounts again as non-Fidelity accounts and excluding via the checkboxes Fidelity accounts?

I for the life of me can't find this function in the guided portfolio summary, does it still exist?
If you are already in guided portfolio summary, you need to click the drop down menu to update the prices, right. In the select account menu, after you click the triangle, a menu pops up and you can select add outside account in the upper right hand corner.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

mcnugget wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:36 pmI for the life of me can't find this function in the guided portfolio summary, does it still exist?
And a screen capture to show what was just said:

uslee2004

Post by uslee2004 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:57 pm
mcnugget wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:36 pmI for the life of me can't find this function in the guided portfolio summary, does it still exist?

Some features of Fidelity site that I am not aware of. I was aware of there are tons of features of Fidelity site that I don't know of. Just want to point out that the 'Analysis' tab appears only visible if not turning on the beta view :) :happy

Also the accounts in the Full View seems not in sync with those in Analysis tab--just report what my initial poking turns out :wink:
uslee
student

Post by student »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:57 pm

BTW, do you have any issue with Fidelity Portfolio Summary not providing descriptions of ETF/funds that are not held at Fidelity. For example, in my manually entered accounts, I have VGSTX but it does not list anything under the description column. I have an old report from years ago with this information.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

student wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:46 pm BTW, do you have any issue with Fidelity Portfolio Summary not providing descriptions of ETF/funds that are not held at Fidelity. For example, in my manually entered accounts, I have VGSTX but it does not list anything under the description column. I have an old report from years ago with this information.
Not that I have noticed.
student

Post by student »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:38 pm
student wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:46 pm BTW, do you have any issue with Fidelity Portfolio Summary not providing descriptions of ETF/funds that are not held at Fidelity. For example, in my manually entered accounts, I have VGSTX but it does not list anything under the description column. I have an old report from years ago with this information.
Not that I have noticed.
Oh. I guess I am being discriminated against. lol.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

uslee2004 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:14 pmAlso the accounts in the Full View seems not in sync with those in Analysis tab--just report what my initial poking turns out :wink:
Price per share is NOT updated in Analysis UNTIL you click on the Edit control for each account. Hence your portfolio value in Analysis will be stale until you do that. I find that OK, because I can see what my asset allocation and 9-box style grid was like the last time I clicked on Edit for each account and compare after I click on Edit.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

student wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:41 pmOh. I guess I am being discriminated against. lol.
Well, I don't actually care what the description would say because I already know what the ticker symbol means.
student

Post by student »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:42 pm
student wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:41 pmOh. I guess I am being discriminated against. lol.
Well, I don't actually care what the description would say because I already know what the ticker symbol means.
I guess me too. Sometimes I mix up VGSTX and VTSAX but I guess I can look at the category column. I just don't understand why the feature is missing now.
student

Post by student »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:42 pm
uslee2004 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:14 pmAlso the accounts in the Full View seems not in sync with those in Analysis tab--just report what my initial poking turns out :wink:
Price per share is NOT updated in Analysis UNTIL you click on the Edit control for each account. Hence your portfolio value in Analysis will be stale until you do that. I find that OK, because I can see what my asset allocation and 9-box style grid was like the last time I clicked on Edit for each account and compare after I click on Edit.
+1. I play a game. I click each button and see if my net worth is going up or going down......
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

Full view has improved as ton but the non-classification of I-bonds is a little annoying. I tried changing the account type to T-Bills but even that doesn't recategorize the holdings. Still, I've linked all my credit cards, 401ks etc, pretty decent to get a good view of your finances.
hkcj

Post by hkcj »

arsenal_fan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:20 am Full view has improved as ton but the non-classification of I-bonds is a little annoying. I tried changing the account type to T-Bills but even that doesn't recategorize the holdings. Still, I've linked all my credit cards, 401ks etc, pretty decent to get a good view of your finances.
I just tried to set up Full View today and my 401k (my largest account) is almost completely "unknown". Sigh.