Let's play chess

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
halfnine

Re: Let's play chess

Post by halfnine »

gips wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:05 am
halfnine wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:04 am
gips wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:58 am
halfnine wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:46 am
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:29 pm

Naroditsky carries the blame too, he's an official commentator of the Candidates. He is fully aware what he got Alireza into.
It's disappointing all the way around. My primary school children know better. I've had this discussion with them and they know just because they are out of contention their results in this type of tournament format impact everyone else and they don't get to go throwing their toys out of the pram just because they are having a bad tournament.
in hs i was playing a swiss and beat a player rated 500 points higher. i tied for first in our section with fedorowicz but lost the first place trophy by 1/2 a tie break point. was not happy with my opponent a the time. now, over the fullness time, pretty meaningless…
Both of my children are playing at (Fide Rating = Age + 700 ). In the scheme of things that puts them on track to becoming titled players. Of course, I have told them that in the long term having a few letters in front of their name (in the same words you used above) is actually "pretty meaningless". But, of course, what isn't meaningless is what they learn about life and themselves along the journey (if it is the journey they ultimately take). So, even though the result of that tournament of your youth is/was meaningless hopefully it was a learning opportunity for both you and your opponent.
well said, and the point of my post wasn't to disagree with your approach. I think it's fantastic you're teaching them sportsmanship, wasn't much of that when I was coming up. also, I edited my post above, left out the point of the post, which was to say my opponent dropped out of the tournament costing me the trophy.
I had assumed your opponent dropped out forcing you to lose tie breaker points. Which by any measure is justifiably frustrating. I also wasn't trying to be critical. I just think it is interesting that as we age as adults we often trivialize our triumphs and failures as children when a lot of those misadventures or at times unfair treatment help us to become (hopefully under proper guidance) better balanced individuals as adults.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I'm impressed by Radjabov. He looked like a doormat player coming in but scoring some important victories, including beating Ding as black.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:29 am Silly Q but what's Fide Rating = Age + 700? For a 12 yo, it's like 12 * 100 + 700 = 1900? Am I understanding correctly or completely off?
Yes, it should have been (Age*100). Here is reference of a few US GMs and their progressions as they aged for reference. To show GM potential as a child one might typically need to show results of quickly getting to around (Age*100) + 900. Obviously, there can be a lot of variability and a few outliers.

Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:29 am Silly Q but what's Fide Rating = Age + 700? For a 12 yo, it's like 12 * 100 + 700 = 1900? Am I understanding correctly or completely off?
Yes, it should have been (Age*100). Here is reference of a few US GMs and their progressions as they aged for reference. To show GM potential as a child one might typically need to show results of quickly getting to around (Age*100) + 900. Obviously, there can be a lot of variability and a few outliers.

Thank you. Wow, Nakamura was a prodigy. Josh Waitzkin might have been similar as well.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 pm

Thank you. Wow, Nakamura was a prodigy. Josh Waitzkin might have been similar as well.
His dad was a titled player, so that probably helped. He was also home schooled. Finally, his family probably also had the money to get me to tournaments to get his points. I'm sure a lot of other players could be GMs, but due to their circumstances, that isn't an option. Look how long it took Finegold.

In this way, chess is a lot like golf, you're restricted by the costs. In the case of chess, it's the cost to travel and vacation time for parents. You have to get to the competition that can get you points as you go up, and as you go up, there are fewer people that you can compete with to get points. There was a lot of controversy over how the last youngest GM got their points.

We shouldn't ignore the impact of privilege. You can see this in business with Microsoft. Gate's parents were loaded. Likewise, Buffett's parents were loaded and had political pull.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:46 pm His dad was a titled player, so that probably helped. He was also home schooled. Finally, his family probably also had the money to get me to tournaments to get his points. I'm sure a lot of other players could be GMs, but due to their circumstances, that isn't an option. Look how long it took Finegold.

In this way, chess is a lot like golf, you're restricted by the costs. In the case of chess, it's the cost to travel and vacation time for parents. You have to get to the competition that can get you points as you go up, and as you go up, there are fewer people that you can compete with to get points. There was a lot of controversy over how the last youngest GM got their points.

We shouldn't ignore the impact of privilege. You can see this in business with Microsoft. Gate's parents were loaded. Likewise, Buffett's parents were loaded and had political pull.
Yeah it takes some resource to get to the top level. Even Carlsen had private lessons with Kasparov like 15 years ago as well.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Grandmaster Nepomniachtchi just wants to draw every game from here. Nakamura's recap was interesting, he talked about how Sicilian doesn't work well and how he's aiming for the 2nd place in case Carlsen walks.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:31 pm Grandmaster Nepomniachtchi just wants to draw every game from here. Nakamura's recap was interesting, he talked about how Sicilian doesn't work well and how he's aiming for the 2nd place in case Carlsen walks.
I've given up watching. It's pretty boring right now. The Carlsen spin is for views. I doubt he'll walk. I'll catch Agamaditor's recaps on YouTube.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:33 pm I've given up watching. It's pretty boring right now. The Carlsen spin is for views. I doubt he'll walk. I'll catch Agamaditor's recaps on YouTube.
The poster halfnine and I think Carlsen will walk, at least against Nepomniachtchi who is 95% the challenger at this point.

Carlsen doesn't like FIDE and I believe he skipped one of the Candidates as the world's #1.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I'm disappointed by Sicilian which is my go-to opening as black but winless in the Candidates. Some player tarnished the reputation further when he used it after playing 300 bullet chess overnight and got crushed after making doubled pawns.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:12 pm I'm disappointed by Sicilian which is my go-to opening as black but winless in the Candidates. Some player tarnished the reputation further when he used it after playing 300 bullet chess overnight and got crushed after making doubled pawns.
I think, at this point, the engines have found workarounds the Sicilian. Every year they get better. And these guys have remarkable memories. If you can remember the the best computer moves against the most used openings, then that should give them an advantage. It's become a game of memorization.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:54 pm
rockstar wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:33 pm I've given up watching. It's pretty boring right now. The Carlsen spin is for views. I doubt he'll walk. I'll catch Agamaditor's recaps on YouTube.
The poster halfnine and I think Carlsen will walk, at least against Nepomniachtchi who is 95% the challenger at this point.

Carlsen doesn't like FIDE and I believe he skipped one of the Candidates as the world's #1.
Chess really defines Carlsen. If he walks, then what's next for him? He needs an exit plan from chess.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:42 pm Chess really defines Carlsen. If he walks, then what's next for him? He needs an exit plan from chess.
Well, walking from the World Chess Championship doesn't mean he's retiring from chess. I think I read somewhere he enjoys rapid / blitz time controls more because the games are more exciting when players are under time pressure. He can still participate in the World Blitz/Rapid Chess Championship like he did last year.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:12 pm I'm disappointed by Sicilian which is my go-to opening as black but winless in the Candidates. Some player tarnished the reputation further when he used it after playing 300 bullet chess overnight and got crushed after making doubled pawns.
Actually, I thnk you have you timeline wrong. My recollection is that both Rapport and Firouzja have shown us the true power of the supposedly drawish Petrof when used in the hands of Nepo. :oops: Getting two wins as black with Petrof in the Candidates just shouldn't happen.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 pm
Actually, I thnk you have you timeline wrong. My recollection is that both Rapport and Firouzja have shown us the true power of the supposedly drawish Petrof when used in the hands of Nepo. :oops: Getting two wins as black with Petrof in the Candidates just shouldn't happen.
I didn't say anything against Petrov, as I don't know much about it other than what I see on the recaps :D
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

The pendulum swings back and forth. The King’s Indian and Grunfeld were considered somewhat dubious when Karpov was the top player, but were rejuvenated by Kasparov and became very popular at all levels during his time at the top. This had more to do with the success of Karpov and Kasparov than actual changes in soundness of these defenses.

Similarly, during Karpov’s time, the Tarrasch French was very popular, but its success was more about the success of Karpov playing it than the strength of the opening. It is quite solid, but probably not the most critical system for white to play. I think most top GMs today could hold a draw as black in the IQP positions of that opening despite many great positional wins by Karpov from the white side of them. But new ideas are always possible, and the Tarrasch could become the most feared system against the French down the road too.
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:02 pm
rockstar wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:46 pm His dad was a titled player, so that probably helped. He was also home schooled. Finally, his family probably also had the money to get me to tournaments to get his points. I'm sure a lot of other players could be GMs, but due to their circumstances, that isn't an option. Look how long it took Finegold.

Yeah it takes some resource to get to the top level. Even Carlsen had private lessons with Kasparov like 15 years ago as well.
Yes, chess is quite interesting in this regard. It seems to be relatively inexpensive to get to say the Fide 2000 level, possibly even 2200. But, beyond that it appears to get exponentially more expensive as one continues to attempt to go up the rating ladder.
gips

Post by gips »

what rating is necessary for a scholarship? I was offered a partial at a mediocre engineering school that had a strong team at the time but I had no interest in engineering or the school :) I was never on that rating curve but 50 years ago, junior ratings were much lower.

here's a funny story: there was a doctor in our chess club, one of our strongest players, he had two kids, the oldest a year younger than me. For reasons I could never discern, the father didn't like me though I barely spoke to him.

In the summer after my freshman year of college at our state flagship, I was playing in a tournament and the dad brings over his oldest in the middle of my game and says "Hey, I heard you attend the state flagship, could you talk to my son about it?". So I say sure, once the game is over but the dad has to leave and wants to talk right there at the board. I give the kid some info and then the dad says "and there's a good chess team right? I mean it's a school of 22k kids". So I tell them I'm on the tennis team and double major in stem so no time for chess. But I've attended a couple of meetings and it seems like a good bunch of guys.

So then the dad says "see, it's a great school with a great chess club and it will save me thousands of dollars over a private school. Jason here wants to go to Brown because he thinks he's going to play chess there". I excuse myself to get back to the game but the doctor looks at my game, smiles and says "I wouldn't be in a rush to get back to that"

I look at the dad, look at the kid, think for a second and say "jason, I'd have killed to go to brown but I couldn't afford it. They have one of the strongest chess teams in the country and if you can get on the team, you should go and in any case it's a much better school. And to be honest, I didn't play chess all year and won the school championship so how strong could the team really be?"

the kid says "see dad, I told you", the dad shoots me a look that could kill and hustles the kid away. Thankfully, the dad never said another word to me for the rest of my time at the club.

best,
Last edited by gips on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm Image
I'm curious who "Our GM" is.

Tang is a character too, he beat Stockfish playing ultrabullet or w/e.
gips

Post by gips »

I'm losing a lot lately, at 66 hope this is not what life has in store for me. missed an easy mated in one last night..
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

rockstar wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:33 pmIt's become a game of memorization.
It's largely been that way for a long time. When he was fairly young, Fischer once beat a GM in a complicated endgame. When they were discussing it afterward, Fischer casually said that he remembered an analysis of the position by the very same GM that had been published many years prior and just played it out.

To be sure, top-flight chess requires a lot of good strategic and tactical thinking, but a substantial portion of the game at that level is strongly based on pattern memorization.
The Sensible Steward
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

gips wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:10 pm I'm losing a lot lately, at 66 hope this is not what life has in store for me. missed an easy mated in one last night..
I get tilted, where I'll play badly for a bit. And then, I'll go streaks where I'll play great for a bit. It really has to do with what's going on in my life.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Nakamura 1-0 Duda, another L for the Sicilian...

Tomorrow Ding (7) vs Nakamura (7.5), this will surely be match of the day. Nakamura just needs a draw to clinch 2nd place whereas Ding has to win as white.

Nepomniachtchi has officially won the Candidates. As far as Alireza, someone said "he is 2800 against 2600s but 2600 against 2800s." :fire:
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:36 pm Nakamura 1-0 Duda, another L for the Sicilian...

Tomorrow Ding (7) vs Nakamura (7.5), this will surely be match of the day. Nakamura just needs a draw to clinch 2nd place whereas Ding has to win as white.

Nepomniachtchi has officially won the Candidates. As far as Alireza, someone said "he is 2800 against 2600s but 2600 against 2800s." :fire:
There could be a couple of reasons for Alireza's poor performance:

- he could just be too young and lack the experience and maturity for the Candidates
- opting not to play high level chess tournaments the past half year (or so I think) might have backfired
- his aggressive playing style is not suited to a Candidate's style tournaments where opponents have months to prep specifically for their opponents

I have heard a few GMs (Anish and MVL) that they believe it to be his playing style. Which, to a fan of chess, would be the most unfortunate of the three as it would require him the most work to rectify.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:24 pm There could be a couple of reasons for Alireza's poor performance:

- he could just be too young and lack the experience and maturity for the Candidates
- opting not to play high level chess tournaments the past half year (or so I think) might have backfired
- his aggressive playing style is not suited to a Candidate's style tournaments where opponents have months to prep specifically for their opponents

I have heard a few GMs (Anish and MVL) that they believe it to be his playing style. Which, to a fan of chess, would be the most unfortunate of the three as it would require him the most work to rectify.
I like the first reason, I think he lacks the experience and maturity. It was evident when he pulled an all-nighter playing bullet chess vs Naroditsky.

Also, this clip seems to indicate that Carlsen will play Nepomniachtchi after all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tbpbly1Nsc
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I love that the big players are in Madrid even though they aren't playing the tournament. Carlsen's been spotted, Polgar and Giri as well. I'm sure there are more.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:51 pm
halfnine wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:24 pm There could be a couple of reasons for Alireza's poor performance:

I like the first reason, I think he lacks the experience and maturity. It was evident when he pulled an all-nighter playing bullet chess vs Naroditsky.

Also, this clip seems to indicate that Carlsen will play Nepomniachtchi after all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tbpbly1Nsc
I figured he wouldn't back out. Chess is his thing.

I definitely think it's a lack of maturity. This tournament reminds me blackjack. It really depends on what the other players do.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:53 pm I figured he wouldn't back out. Chess is his thing.

I definitely think it's a lack of maturity. This tournament reminds me blackjack. It really depends on what the other players do.
You were right. I thought Carlsen would walk but now Nepomniachtchi had a brilliant tournament, I think he's going to play.

I also think Nakamura miscalculated against Nepomniachtchi; that was a do-or-die moment even with black and he had to play to win, not settling for a 7-move draw.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:56 pm
rockstar wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:53 pm I figured he wouldn't back out. Chess is his thing.

You were right. I thought Carlsen would walk but now Nepomniachtchi had a brilliant tournament, I think he's going to play.

I also think Nakamura miscalculated against Nepomniachtchi; that was a do-or-die moment even with black and he had to play to win, not settling for a 7-move draw.
Nepo went out of his way to draw. He played the tournament brilliantly beyond the chess.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

rockstar wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:06 pm Nepo went out of his way to draw. He played the tournament brilliantly beyond the chess.
Well...Nakamura played the Berlin Defense. Going for broke means he needed to bring home the first win for the Sicilian.

At this rate, no one will use the Sicilian in top-level tournaments...
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:32 pm I love that the big players are in Madrid even though they aren't playing the tournament. Carlsen's been spotted, Polgar and Giri as well. I'm sure there are more.
There was a blitz tournament that happened to be in Madrid as well over the weekend. That's why there were other GMs spotted around town. It allowed fo a little bit of banter between Carlsen and Nakamura on Twitter.

Magnus Carlsen
@GMHikaru
you joining the blitz tournament later? Pump up that blitz rating a little

Replying to
@MagnusCarlsenThanks for the invite! I'm busy but I hear @alirezafirouzja might be free.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:55 pm There was a blitz tournament that happened to be in Madrid as well over the weekend. That's why there were other GMs spotted around town. It allowed fo a little bit of banter between Carlsen and Nakamura on Twitter.

Magnus Carlsen
@GMHikaru
you joining the blitz tournament later? Pump up that blitz rating a little

Replying to
@MagnusCarlsenThanks for the invite! I'm busy but I hear @alirezafirouzja might be free.
Wow...I didn't expect Nakamura to throw shade like this. Good to see Giri winning something though. He's actually a very strong player but somehow fails to qualify for the Candidates.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Ding beat Nakamura and took over the 2nd place. As I mentioned previously, Nakamura had to go for broke vs Nepomniachtchi because something like this can occur.

Nakamura's recap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsupmrNRhEE
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

El Pais reported the following:
Magnus Carlsen will defend his World Championship title against the Russian Ian Nepomniachtchi in April 2023 if the International Chess Federation (FIDE) accepts his demands for changing the format of the duel, according to people very close to the Norwegian and FIDE.
Use Google Translate if you don't understand Spanish: https://elpais.com/ajedrez/actualidad/2 ... -2023.html
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Kind of sad that Nakamura choked, I'm not sure how else to describe it. Per recap, he had plans to trade down the pieces but somehow didn't do so and went on to lose the game.

Also, what's up with the players predominantly playing 1. e4? I'm a 1. d4 person and I'm disappointed my opening fell out of favor.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Carlsen won't play the World Chess Championship next year: https://en.chessbase.com/post/breaking- ... is-title-2

It'll be Nepomniachtchi vs Ding. Nakamura missed a huge opportunity.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:02 am Carlsen won't play the World Chess Championship next year: https://en.chessbase.com/post/breaking- ... is-title-2

It'll be Nepomniachtchi vs Ding. Nakamura missed a huge opportunity.
Well, it's not surprising.

It appears (to me) both FIDE and Carlsen are taking the high road about their discussions. Carlsen was never going to play under the existing structure and FIDE was never going to materially change it (at least based on the precedence of making no previous attempt with either Fischer or Kasparov) but whatever their discussions both have pushed it aside as "nothing to see here" which while unlikely true probably is the best overall mature response for the near term future of chess.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:07 pm Well, it's not surprising.

It appears (to me) both FIDE and Carlsen are taking the high road about their discussions. Carlsen was never going to play under the existing structure and FIDE was never going to materially change it (at least based on the precedence of making no previous attempt with either Fischer or Kasparov) but whatever their discussions both have pushed it aside as "nothing to see here" which while unlikely true probably is the best overall mature response for the near term future of chess.
I'm surprised by this personally as I thought he'd defend the title despite hating the classical format.

Maybe Carlsen will start his own thing and we'll have an era of split titles all over again.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:50 pm
halfnine wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:07 pm Well, it's not surprising.

I'm surprised by this personally as I thought he'd defend the title despite hating the classical format.

Maybe Carlsen will start his own thing and we'll have an era of split titles all over again.
I don't see Magnus starting his own thing. That is not his MO nor his motivation. And, if it was, likely his war of words with FIDE would have already begun. As it is both him and FIDE have downplayed everything.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

The fact that they moved WC from a 3 yr cycle to a 2 yr cycle was probably also part of the decision process. Six months of prep every two years is a lot of commitment. Plus, playing the same opponent as well, if it was Ding or someone else, perhaps he would have played.

I'm sure if the $ were bumped up enough, Carlsen would be playing. Everyone has their price.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Continuing on the 4 Knights Scotch, Naroditsky with white on 5...Bc5 6.Be3 Bb6 7.Nf5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1i9fKUUiI
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I wonder how Nakamura feels about the final round of the Candidates where he needed a draw to secure 2nd place.

He probably could've drawn the game if he traded down the pieces as he lamented after the game.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:43 pm I wonder how Nakamura feels about the final round of the Candidates where he needed a draw to secure 2nd place.

He probably could've drawn the game if he traded down the pieces as he lamented after the game.
Nakamura's feeling is that if it was known at the time that Magnus definitely wasn't going to play Caruana would have secured second (I tend to agree). Nakamura also believes that if he had placed second under the existing circumstances Carlsen would have played Nepo just to ensure the title couldn't go to him (I tend to disagree as I have always maintained Carlsen wasn't going to play). But, if Nakamura believes both to be true then, in his mind at least, he has nothing to regret. To which Carlsen of course tweeted "Copium Overdose"
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

halfnine wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:35 pm Nakamura's feeling is that if it was known at the time that Magnus definitely wasn't going to play Caruana would have secured second (I tend to agree). Nakamura also believes that if he had placed second under the existing circumstances Carlsen would have played Nepo just to ensure the title couldn't go to him (I tend to disagree as I have always maintained Carlsen wasn't going to play). But, if Nakamura believes both to be true then, in his mind at least, he has nothing to regret. To which Carlsen of course tweeted "Copium Overdose"
Interesting...I too disagree that Carlsen would have played Nepomniachtchi to take away the possibility of Nakamura becoming the World Champion. I smell Nakamura being full of himself here.

Or maybe that's his way of rationalizing the missed opportunity.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I watched an interview with Bobby Fischer on youtube. He said that a good chess player today could beat a good chess player from 100 years ago because chess theory had advanced so far.

I don't know anything much about chess theory. All I know is that in the beginning of the game you try to develop your pieces and control the center and keep your opponent from developing their pieces and controlling the center. What it means to develop a piece means to put it in a position where it can move to lots of other squares.

That's all I know. What are some other basic points of chess theory?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

tc101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:07 pm I watched an interview with Bobby Fischer on youtube. He said that a good chess player today could beat a good chess player from 100 years ago because chess theory had advanced so far.

I don't know anything much about chess theory. All I know is that in the beginning of the game you try to develop your pieces and control the center and keep your opponent from developing their pieces and controlling the center. What it means to develop a piece means to put it in a position where it can move to lots of other squares.

Don't bring your queen out too early? https://lichess.org/cLSLk5HT

Needless to say, I was black.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I found an answer to my question about chess theory. It has been evolving for hundreds of years and continues to evolve. Take a look at this if you are interested:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/chess/ ... -of-theory
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:52 pm
tc101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:07 pm I watched an interview with Bobby Fischer on youtube. He said that a good chess player today could beat a good chess player from 100 years ago because chess theory had advanced so far.

Don't bring your queen out too early? https://lichess.org/cLSLk5HT

Needless to say, I was black.
That's generally very good advice, but 1. e4 d5. 2. exd5 Qxd5 isn't bad for black. Pandolfini called it 'bringing a gun to a knife fight'.
The Sensible Steward
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:55 pm That's generally very good advice, but 1. e4 d5. 2. exd5 Qxd5 isn't bad for black. Pandolfini called it 'bringing a gun to a knife fight'.
What about the Wayward attack? https://chesspathways.com/chess-opening ... en-attack/
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:38 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:55 pm That's generally very good advice, but 1. e4 d5. 2. exd5 Qxd5 isn't bad for black. Pandolfini called it 'bringing a gun to a knife fight'.
What about the Wayward attack? https://chesspathways.com/chess-opening ... en-attack/
I'm not familiar enough with it to comment on it, but if Carlsen has played it, it must not be too bad. It seems fairly easy for Black to defend against it though, especially with a little preparation.
The Sensible Steward