Computer chairs for kids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Computer chairs for kids

Post by gavinsiu »

I just got the kids a new desk but now need to replace their chairs. Unlike my generation, they seemed to use computers for just about everything in school, which means a setup similar to my office. I had them tried my chair, but the minimal height on the chair is too tall. Their feet do not reach the ground or they are on tippy toe. Do you try to get special kid size chairs (which have fairly limited selection) or do you add some sort of elevated foot rest?
Colorado Guy

Re: Computer chairs for kids

Post by Colorado Guy »

Granted, I don't know how old/tall your kids are.

For my granddaughter, I purchased a gaming chair, which adjusted quite nicely to her body size (younger teen). If you have a MicroCenter or similar close by, they have quite a selection with a relatively wide range of adjustments. The gaming chair seems to have more options as opposed to an adult office chair. Plus, they come in all sorts of color schemes that appeal to the younger set.

If their feet don't reach the ground with a gaming chair, you can add a short step. As FYI, for myself I often use a Home Medic massage device that provides a slight elevation foot support (and massage), with a 45 degree angle for the foot support, comfortable for extended computer work sessions. Something like that may be useful for your kids as well.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Thanks, they are 10 and 8. I think in this instance it's less about age but more about the height. Both children are below 5 feet. Most office chairs assume that you are at least 5 feet 2. The chair height typically can't be lower to below 17 inches so their feet dangles off the edge. The seat depth may be an issue. The only exception is my wife's Herman Miller chair, which is too pricey of an item for kids.

I have looked into special chairs for kids, but they appear to be Ikea quality chairs that are priced like a mini-Herman Miller. The older child seems to need a 15 inch seat height. I could probably get a smaller size office chair and use a foot reset. Seat depth may be solved using some cushions. The younger child does not use the keyboard much so can wait for another year.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

knowing that your children will grow like weeds for the next decade, you need an adjustable chair for sure. I did a simple Amazon.com search for young child gaming chair, and came up with this.
https://www.amazon.com/Techni-Mobili-RT ... merReviews

Per the customer comments, it adjusts down to 15" seat height to floor, adjusting upwards to 18" as the child grows.

You may want to use the following as a footrest as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Seniors-Toddler- ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Thanks! The chair you listed should work for the older since it goes as low as 15 inch. My only concern is that gaming chairs are typically poorly designed. Most adult gamers be best served by an office chair. However, it may be a best choice right now because they will probably need a new one in a few years.

After some thoughts, I think the foot rest would be problematic since it doesn't move with the chair.
leeks

Post by leeks »

gavinsiu wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:57 pm Thanks, they are 10 and 8. I think in this instance it's less about age but more about the height. Both children are below 5 feet. Most office chairs assume that you are at least 5 feet 2. The chair height typically can't be lower to below 17 inches so their feet dangles off the edge. The seat depth may be an issue. The only exception is my wife's Herman Miller chair, which is too pricey of an item for kids.

I have looked into special chairs for kids, but they appear to be Ikea quality chairs that are priced like a mini-Herman Miller. The older child seems to need a 15 inch seat height. I could probably get a smaller size office chair and use a foot reset. Seat depth may be solved using some cushions. The younger child does not use the keyboard much so can wait for another year.
Just get the kids desk chairs from Ikea and then you get Ikea quality at Ikea prices. That is what our kids have and they are perfectly fine and adjustable enough for many years as kids grow.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

There's always the, "kids, when I was your age, our feet dangled from the chair at the typewriter desk and we liked it that way" option, which can be rationalized by telling yourself, "kids don't know the difference anyways." :wink:

It appears I'm getting to the age where I sometimes stare at the postures my kids put themselves in and marvel at how ergonomics don't seem to apply to them.

I suppose it probably is better for the knees if their feet can touch the ground, though.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:01 am There's always the, "kids, when I was your age, our feet dangled from the chair at the typewriter desk and we liked it that way" option, which can be rationalized by telling yourself, "kids don't know the difference anyways." :wink:

It appears I'm getting to the age where I sometimes stare at the postures my kids put themselves in and marvel at how ergonomics don't seem to apply to them.

I suppose it probably is better for the knees if their feet can touch the ground, though.
When I was their age, my dad did not want me to use the typewriter desk because I would jam the Underwood typewriter by pressing several keys together. Ergonomics was also not a thing back then. Kids don't care about Ergonomics any way, they rarely get achs and pain.