International Travel/CC Recommendation for Ireland and Greece

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

International Travel/CC Recommendation for Ireland and Greece

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Good afternoon and Happy Fourth of July!

I have plans to travel to Ireland and Greece this fall, and I am looking for recommendations regarding my spending money for both countries. Should I bring some Euros or a credit card, or a combination of both? What credit card would be accepted overseas? I have a large portfolio of credit cards from years of bonus chasing, so chances are I may already have a CC that would work in both countries. I am new to international traveling, so any advice regarding finances while traveling overseas would be appreciated.

Thank you!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
notoriousMG

Re: International Travel/CC Recommendation for Ireland and Greece

Post by notoriousMG »

For Greece, Amex is used only in big retail and big hotels. Visa is best. I use my Chase Sapphire, which has no foreign transaction fee. Some cash is good in some places where you can get a slight discount for paying cash instead of a card. Taking money out of an ATM can be very expensive with bank charges, so paying with a no-fee card is best. It is good to have a backup card in case you lose your card, or an ATM eats it. My backup plan is a euro account from wise.com, which can also give you a debit card to use for which 200 euros is without a fee to pull out per month, and a 3000 euro balance does not incur any fees.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:42 pm Good afternoon and Happy Fourth of July!

I have plans to travel to Ireland and Greece this fall, and I am looking for recommendations regarding my spending money for both countries. Should I bring some Euros or a credit card, or a combination of both? What credit card would be accepted overseas? I have a large portfolio of credit cards from years of bonus chasing, so chances are I may already have a CC that would work in both countries. I am new to international traveling, so any advice regarding finances while traveling overseas would be appreciated.

Thank you!

If you are new to international travel, then there are a couple of things to keep in mind about credit card usage.
Use a card that has no extra charge for usage in a foreign country.
Be careful NOT to accept any offer for "dynamic currency conversion". This means the local vendor will convert the foreign currency to USDollars, and it will NOT be in your favor!
Charge it in the local currency. Allow your credit card company to make the conversion to USD at regular commerical rates.

Enjoy your trip!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I think Schwab has a card with no foreign currency conversion fees. And reimbursement for foreign ATM charges worldwide. Can anyone confirm who has Schwab?

OP, if you are a U.S. resident, remember to save your receipts to get your very high (18 percent?) value added tax reimbursed to you (at the EU airport before your return flight) on consumer goods purchases made in the EU (not just at duty free shops).

I had my hotel in Greece front me Euros for a wedding gift I was giving on the basis of my Amex when my debit cards didn’t work in their ATM and the nearest bank was far off downtown. They would not do that for Visa or Mastercard. It was very convenient. Time is often of the essence when you are on vacation. I never had a vendor anywhere in Europe turn down Amex that accepted other cards.

As for Euros, I get them at the airport upon arrival at an *authorized vendor* rather than buying them in the US or on the fly at an unregulated kiosk.

Signing up for the US State Department’s free online STEP program will help them locate you in case of civil unrest / terrorism and will send you text messages about any anticipated strikes, train stoppages or other incidents in your vicinity. Very helpful especially in places where you may not speak the local language. Example, I was at the pool reading about a strike. The text message told me it was 3 towns over so I didn’t need to budge from my lounge chair.

Have a great time!
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

No matter what card(s) be sure to have at least two from different processors. One Visa and one Mastercard, just in case. Things can and do happen!
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:42 pm Good afternoon and Happy Fourth of July!

Thank you!
credit cards are quite widely accepted. Visa everywhere I've been. Some places may not accept American Express. You may need a couple Euros for some things, but my recent visits exclusively had places that took cards as well as cash.

I'm a Fidelity One-Stop Shopper, so I just used my Fidelity Visa credit card and Fidelity Debit card (attached to my brokerage account) at ATMs

For the credit card:
- they do charge a 1% foreign transaction fee, but you get 2% cash back, so I don't mind that

For the debit card:
- at some value of assets, all ATM fees are refunded to you as well

One pro tip: Transact in EURO rather than USD in order to avoid paying the local processor's preferred exchange rate
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

PINs for CC the norm is Europe. Ask you card people if they'll assign one. If not, the European systems will generally allow signatures. As others have said, always have the CC charge processed as local currency, not as $.

You can get local currency out of ATM's. Local machine fees vary (widely) and do the transaction as local currency, not $.

And do let your ATM and CC people know of your travels.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:18 pm I think Schwab has a card with no foreign currency conversion fees. And reimbursement for foreign ATM charges worldwide. Can anyone confirm who has Schwab?
it's true.
IowaFarmWife wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:42 pm Should I bring some Euros or a credit card, or a combination of both? What credit card would be accepted overseas?
visa and mastercard are equally accepted. amex is less so.
i suggest you bring 2+ cards, preferably from different issuers/networks.

cash is always rapid. 200 eur is a good walking-around/backup money to pay for a few meals and taxis, without having to always replenish.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

RetiredAL wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:43 pm PINs for CC the norm is Europe. Ask you card people if they'll assign one. If not, the European systems will generally allow signatures. As others have said, always have the CC charge processed as local currency, not as $.

You can get local currency out of ATM's. Local machine fees vary (widely) and do the transaction as local currency, not $.

And do let your ATM and CC people know of your travels.
Right.

Some credit card companies say that one no longer needs to "let them know about upcoming travel".
I always do call, anyway. It's quick.

But especially if you've never used your card(s) outside the USA, make *sure* that the charge card vendors know about your trip and also which countries. I'd suggest calling back a couple of days after letting them know to make sure that it's noted somewhere.

A sudden change in usage patterns has a higher probability of triggering a fraud concern. Dealing with locked cards or trying to get replacement cards when one is overseas can be non-trivial.

If you are traveling with someone else, try to avoid having a main card and a supplemental card with the same card number. (A supplemental card with a different number isn't a problem.)
Otherwise, if one of your cards is compromised, the other one is no good anymore, either.
Each of you should probably have at least two different cards from different vendors, such as Amex and MasterCard. Amex tends to be used in fewer places, but sometimes in different places than the regular Visa/MasterCard.

If you need to get new cards, try to use them as much as possible and pay them off *promptly* before you go so there is a good history. Taking a brand new card overseas, even if calling ahead to alert them, is a bit risky.
The card vendors are trying to avoid fraud, and they won't know specifically what you are doing, etc. Or that it really is "you".

It's sort of a "help them to help you" situation.

We only used an ATM at an actual bank to get local cash, not at any other "cash machine" or kiosk/etc.
And we don't keep a lot of money in the account linked to that cash card. (And again, one that doesn't have an exchange fee, or at least rebates it, etc.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Thank you everyone for your responses! It is much appreciated. :happy
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

i use capital one (they have no currency conversion fee).

Also if a merchant oversees asks you if you want them to charge in dollars or euros you should just say euros. Since there's no currency fee conversion (if you use cap one or schwab, etc) you're good. If you tell the merchant to charge in dollars, they'll usually give you a bad conversion rate to pocket the difference. Always pay in the local currency and let the credit card company do the conversion (they'll give you a good conversion rate).

Also, you shouldn't really need euros except for small things that don't take credit. It used to be you might have to get a few euros if you were going to take a bus or cab or subway, but now you can probably use credit cards for even those purchases (we got tix for bus in advance in Ireland, not on the bus and used CC for that even). But you can get some small denominations ($50-$100) if need be from most ATMS.

The schwab is good for that because there's no fees for foreign atms.

enjoy.

back in 2016 I was warned not to take the subway in Greece under any circumstances by several people who lived there. It was a shame because we wanted to use that cheap/efficient travel and there are artifacts/art in the subway. But there were too many muggings happening so we listened to the locals and got around in alternative methods.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

My wife and I vacationed in Scotland and Ireland mid May until mid June, 2019, some things we learned from our 31 day trip.

1. Do Scotland first IF you plan to rent a car. Why ??? the roads are better ie wider then in Ireland. You will get used to driving on the wrong side of the road. If you rent a car with a stick shift you will get used to changing gears with your left hand very weird experience had not driven a stick shift in 30 years. They do have automatic transmission but you will pay a premium for it may want to consider it.

2. Make sure you bring your GPS with you, using google maps was not as helpful as our gps particularly at the MANY roundabouts you will encounter. The Garmin gps indicated which turn to make when entering a roundabout with many have 4 options as to where to turn. They have roundabout every mile or so even on major highways you will encounter them. Many times 3 lanes of traffic are entering the roundabout at the same time. No one uses blinkers or gives you any indication where they are going soooooo much fun!! Try to plan your stops to the N and M roads they are so much better and easier to drive.

3.Signage in Ireland was VERY POOR without the gps we would have not found many places we visited. BUT make sure you look at where the gps is taking you, sometimes it took us down 1 lane roads that were really 2way roads. Nothing like a big truck heading towards you with no place to go!!

4. I only got beeped at 2 times BUT they will ride your tail very quickly when going too slow. They have many small narrow roads with 60 mph speed limits which I did not feel comfortable doing. I would wait until a place they could pass and put my 4 way emergency lights on and they would pass. Some roads had places you could pull over which was very helpful.

5.Beware of others using the road such as groups on bicycles who would ride 2-3 bikes across taking up the lane. Coming around a blind corner with no shoulder and seeing this was soo much fun. People walking in the road. Sheep are EVERYWHERE including walking in the road or along the road not to mention sheep dogs going after them.

6. We only brought enough clothes for 8 days. We used laundry facilities in town not at the hotel, where we dropped off the clothes and within 24 hours we picked it up. Saved us a lot of time and was was very reasonable priced about $15.

7. On and off bus tours in the cities give you a great overview. We used Park and ride buses in Edinburgh which saved trying to find parking and driving in this ancient city. For 4 pounds per person you can ride all day with many buses and routes to choose from. Be prepared to walk a LOT up and down BIG hills.

8. The OPW Heritage pass in Ireland and the Explorer Pass in Scotland helped you bypass the long lines Stirling and Edinburgh Castles.

9. Distance on google maps are short BUT because of the roads you need to add extra time to your destination.

10. Castles both ruins and finished/furnished, Cathedrals/Churches and distilleries are in EVERY Town so plan accordingly.

11. It rains a lot going from a beautiful day to pouring rain so bring rain gear and layers.

12. Locals do not wear baseball hats...gee I wonder why??

13. Souvenir T Shirts for places you visit do not exist!!!!

14. Woolen shops are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

15. Locals are wonderful and very helpful.

16. Leave time to get through the customs lines in Dublin airport. We had Global Entry and it took us 2 hours to make it through the process. Our plane was delayed for 1 hour because folks did not make it through on time, yea they actually waited for the passengers.

17. Do not bother with the Ring of Kerry or as we called it the Ring of Terror!! Instead do the Dingle Peninsula and the A2 road to Northern Ireland, and the costal highway between Galway and Westport. The Ring of Kerry road was narrow, changed suddenly to one lane bridges with no warning with MANY tour buses driving like it was a 4 lane highway. The Killarney National Park is definitely worth seeing but not the entire Ring of Kerry. If you do decide to do the Ring consider doing via a bus tour. If a rainy day you will not see much.

18. Scotland has no toll roads but Ireland does make sure you have some local $$.

19. Pots of tea and scones were wonderful, coffee not so much as well as full Irish breakfast....baked beans in the morning???

20. Hotels require you to place your door entry card to turn on the power in the room. They have a slot as soon as you walk in to insert the card....make sure you get TWO cards so if you need to leave the room the other person is not sitting in the dark. They also use the card to get onto and operate the elevator. Hair dryers are in the desk drawer sometimes not near a mirror....lol. Each showers we encountered operated in its own unique way!! They do not believe in washcloths..... Make sure your hotel has parking some did not and we had to walk several blocks and pay for parking. Sometimes they had underground parking which was nice BUT it was like driving through your patio door into your basement....yea that tight. We had a Volkswagen Golf not a big car and it was VERY challenging,!

21. Make sure you have adequate rental car insurance including the tires! My 3 credit cards did not cover Ireland.
22. We had no problem getting gas with a credit card the stations we stopped at you did not pay at the pump, you had to go in and pay the cashier. As in the USA you sign a receipt for the transaction. Your card never leaves your sight, they bring the machine to you. No pins numbers needed at all.
23. On motor ways the left lane is the slow lane, the right is the passing lane. The speed limit signs just have a number on them nothing else given in the USA which states “speed limit” on the sign. On the motorway they do not post the speed limit on the motorway they only are posted as you come onto the motorway and are trying to merge!!
24. We purchased a SIM card for my iPhone once we got in the country. Sometimes we had google maps and the Garmin running at the same time, the Garmin was so much better. Google maps would say go east on the road, we had no idea what direction we were going, especially when in a roundabout! Where the Garmin gave you a blue line to follow.
25. The Dublin airport is a $50-60 euro taxi ride one way so plan accordingly. We stayed at The Schoolhouse Hotel in Dublin to give you an idea. We considered the bus from the airport but given we were up for 20 hours, had 2 rolling duffel bags and 2 carry on bags and the hotel was several blocks from the bus stop we took a cab.

Overall we had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves. They were both wonderful countries with spotless thriving towns, and amazing green country side.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Thank you!
Getting foreign currency in cash before you depart is very 1990. Don't do that, you'll get ripped off on conversion. Your US debit card should work just fine - if you have two for different accounts, it's good to have a backup. Same with credit cards.

As everywhere else, Amex acceptance is lower than Visa/MC, it tends to be limited to higher-end hotels and some restaurants. I'd have at least two different cards (belonging to different networks). Make sure they don't charge foreign conversion fees (typically around 3%).

Important: avoid "Dynamic Currency Conversion," where you get the "choice" to make the transaction in USD instead of EUR. This is often presented to you at hotels and even some ATMs. Always choose the local currency. Choosing USD overseas will rip you off somewhere around 5-7%. And to add to insult to injury: if you use a card that charges foreign transaction fees, they'll slap that 3% on top even though the transaction came through in USD!

(I've had some hotels ring up the charges in USD without giving me the choice; the one time I didn't have time to argue b/c I needed to get to the airport, I signed "dynamic currency conversion declined, charge in EUR," snapped a picture and disputed successfully later with the bank, which refunded me the amount that I overpaid in DCC. The merchant agreements require them to actually offer you a choice.)
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

In Ireland, esp. Dublin, download the FreeNow app for getting a taxi. Most of the taxi drivers use it during off peak hours and it works great, bit like Uber app but these are real taxis, NOT regular folk, so they know where they are going (and if they have a Dublin accent then they also know all the back alleys that save time).

During peak hours or when there is a sudden downpour, then you are better off going to a taxi rank. That's because FreeNow takes a % of the fare, so the taxis know that when it rains, they can pick up a fare easy enough at a rank. So if FreeNow is not showing anyone coming for you, ask a local where the nearest rank is.
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Thank you all so much on the advice!
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Thank you all for the advice. I leave for Greece on Monday, and I am reviewing the thread just to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I have the STEP account set up, CapOne and Discover CCs, Schwab account opened and funded, and a few Euros in the purse. I have contacted the CC companies and Schwab to notify them of my travel plans. I think I'm ready to go!
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:29 am Thank you all for the advice. I leave for Greece on Monday, and I am reviewing the thread just to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I have the STEP account set up, CapOne and Discover CCs, Schwab account opened and funded, and a few Euros in the purse. I have contacted the CC companies and Schwab to notify them of my travel plans. I think I'm ready to go!
Watch out for Covid-19. DW and I just came back from France a few weeks ago and we both came down with it, even though we were very careful about masks and we both had 5 immunizations! Almost no one was wearing masks at Newark and Charles de Gaulle airports and on the plane both ways. We wore masks and did everything right and although we went over 2 and a half years without getting Covid-19 here in New England, we got it in France, on our first overseas trip in 3 years.
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

eddot98 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:43 am
IowaFarmWife wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:29 am Thank you all for the advice. I leave for Greece on Monday, and I am reviewing the thread just to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I have the STEP account set up, CapOne and Discover CCs, Schwab account opened and funded, and a few Euros in the purse. I have contacted the CC companies and Schwab to notify them of my travel plans. I think I'm ready to go!
Watch out for Covid-19. DW and I just came back from France a few weeks ago and we both came down with it, even though we were very careful about masks and we both had 5 immunizations! Almost no one was wearing masks at Newark and Charles de Gaulle airports and on the plane both ways. We wore masks and did everything right and although we went over 2 and a half years without getting Covid-19 here in New England, we got it in France, on our first overseas trip in 3 years.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear this! I hope you are both feeling better. Thank you for the warning, we are planning on wearing masks on the airplane and in public areas. We are also vaccinated and boosted, but I know that is not 100% effective.
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

Just saw this thread. We were in Greece in September. I heard that all taxis were required to use credit cards. Good luck with getting
ANY to accept a CC. Some small restaurants and stores were cash only, and that was in Athens. Smaller towns still use a lot of cash. Seems
like you have a Schwab account with ATM card? That works great almost everywhere for easy cash with no ATM fees or rip-off conversion rates.
Not saying you can't use CC 80-90% of the time, but you will definitely need some cash in Greece for many expenses.

Good Luck, -P
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Discover CC? While they say it can be used in Europe, be aware that in reality it is not widely accepted. Hotels in major cities might be ok but restaurants, shops, transportation may be a problem.
Topic Author
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

bob60014 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:37 am Discover CC? While they say it can be used in Europe, be aware that in reality it is not widely accepted. Hotels in major cities might be ok but restaurants, shops, transportation may be a problem.
Check. Discover is out of the lineup. Schwab, Barclay's, and Citi are now in the wallet. Pins are set up for all of them.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

If you are renting a car in Ireland and are not planning on buying the rental agency overpriced CDW by planning on using your credit card, make sure your card covers Ireland - many do not. All agencies will also require you to produce a letter from your bank stating your card covers Ireland. Also make sure you have a good credit limit on that card as they will place a €5000 hold on the card in case of damage. That is not a big deal if you have a high limit as it will drop off automatically when your bank decides it should, but if your limit is low it could get denied.

Chase has the best car rental CDW for Ireland IMO. They cover the most (taxes, loss of use, etc.) and don't have dollar level exclusions. All Chase cards are equal in terms of the CDW benefit when out of the country, so just pick one without foreign transaction fees.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Last trip to Europe, mostly Italy, I just used Apple Pay and only had to bring my phone out. No wallet and taking out a credit card. It was so convenient.

Edit: If you plan on driving in Ireland, good luck to you. Drove with my wife there 6 years ago in a rental and vowed never to drive in a foreign country again. So much more relaxing sitting on a train....but car is really needed if traveling around Ireland.