Any Boglehead musicians out there?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResearchMed

Re: Any Boglehead musicians out there?

Post by ResearchMed »

camontgo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:29 am Enjoying this thread...I played violin for about 10 yrs as a kid. My daughter plays now, so I still dust off my old violin to attempt a duet now and then.

These days, I'm mostly interested in building instruments. My latest is a tenor uke made from walnut, cherry, and reclaimed cedar.

That is just beautiful.
Thanks for sharing that photo.

I can't even begin to think what it must be like to play an instrument that one has built!

:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

dougger5 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 am
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:11 am Bass players
and sound techs....

Question:

Does a bass guitar with a "passive" pickup system need to be plugged into a preamp before the bass amp?

Will it increase volume?

J🌺
A bass amp generally already has a preamp - that's where all the tone controls and such come into play. The voltages coming out of the output jack are comparable to what they would be with active pickups - it's all "instrument level."

ETA: That being said, there is a myriad of pedals that will provide a certain boost effect as might be required/desired in live performance.
Makes sense.
Thus passive bass guitars vs active.

thanks!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

One thing I’ve discovered after 5.5 years of playing music…I can sort of improvise. I think I’m mostly just regurgitating bits I know but maybe not.

I have certainly developed an ear for what ‘fits’ and how to resolve and end based on where I start. I usually do this when I’m warming up scales and then stumble into something that sounds musical. I’ll then get fixated on repeating and improving whatever little series of notes I discovered…but I can’t go too long before it stops making sense.

Violin probably isn’t the first instrument to come to mind for improv, but I find it pleasing that I’ve picked up this little bit of ability.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

And for you bass nuts:

https://youtu.be/DjpudvU-ZRA

I like the fretless bass because I’m all about no frets. :)
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:55 pm One thing I’ve discovered after 5.5 years of playing music…I can sort of improvise...

I have certainly developed an ear for what ‘fits’ and how to resolve and end based on where I start.
That's great! This is what music is all about, and the so-called "classical" musicians hundreds of years ago improvised on themes all the time!
Violin probably isn’t the first instrument to come to mind for improv, but I find it pleasing that I’ve picked up this little bit of ability.
There have been many terrific jazz violinists through the years. Two who come to mind are Stephane Grappelli and Jean-Luc Potty. Here's a link to a recording they did together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4jt3dcRS8

Wikipedia has a list of jazz violinists if you want to look it up.

When I was a teenager I had a Grappelli LP and listened to it all the time. I saw him once when I was in college.

At the point you are in your violin studies (familiar with scales and arpeggios), some improvisation technique is a natural progression for you. Go for it!

Finally, here's a "Gypsy Jazz Violin Lesson" I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFi_ZpN9SxA plus a fun transcription you might want to read/follow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ-xN7QG8cE
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

camontgo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:29 am Enjoying this thread...I played violin for about 10 yrs as a kid. My daughter plays now, so I still dust off my old violin to attempt a duet now and then.

These days, I'm mostly interested in building instruments. My latest is a tenor uke made from walnut, cherry, and reclaimed cedar.

Wow!
Great job.
Very nice.

What kind of music do you play on the uke?

Thanks for posting the picture.
j mango :D
camontgo

Post by camontgo »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:10 am Wow!
Great job.
Very nice.

What kind of music do you play on the uke?

Thanks for posting the picture.
j mango :D
Thank you!

I like to try to play a little bit of everything, but I don't get to play in a group very often...and I'm not much of a singer...so I spend most of my practice time learning instrumental arrangements of songs. I enjoy the uke arrangements at ukulelehunt.com.
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George E. P Box
t2cycling

Post by t2cycling »

Such a cool thread. I have really enjoyed reading all of the Boglehead musician posts. Perhaps we should collaborate on an Exquisite Corpse project… 8-)

I’m almost 71 and create ambient and experimental music with electric guitar (Stratocaster), synthesizers, found sounds and field recordings. I have a small desktop full of special effects pedals and record with my laptop using multi-track and mastering software. Occasionally I release my compositions on albums that can be streamed on Spotify, Apple, YouTube etc.
I also produce one minute sound-art video projects and upload those to my @primitiveacoustics Instagram account. Inspired by sound artist and composer Brian Eno I experiment with sound creation almost everyday.
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

t2cycling wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:46 pm Such a cool thread. I have really enjoyed reading all of the Boglehead musician posts. Perhaps we should collaborate on an Exquisite Corpse project… 8-)

I’m almost 71 and create ambient and experimental music with electric guitar (Stratocaster), synthesizers, found sounds and field recordings. I have a small desktop full of special effects pedals and record with my laptop using multi-track and mastering software. Occasionally I release my compositions on albums that can be streamed on Spotify, Apple, YouTube etc.
I also produce one minute sound-art video projects and upload those to my @primitiveacoustics Instagram account. Inspired by sound artist and composer Brian Eno I experiment with sound creation almost everyday.
I like the Exquisite Corpse idea! I participated in one a few years ago and it was quite fun.

What DAW platform are you using? I'm a Reaper guy.
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
t2cycling

Post by t2cycling »

dougger5 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:47 pm
t2cycling wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:46 pm Such a cool thread. I have really enjoyed reading all of the Boglehead musician posts. Perhaps we should collaborate on an Exquisite Corpse project… 8-)

I like the Exquisite Corpse idea! I participated in one a few years ago and it was quite fun.

I use Reaper also, mostly for the plugins. I usually record and mix with Audacity. iZotope Ozone 8 is what I’m currently diy mastering with. My interface is a 3rd Gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
Have any favorite effects pedals?
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

t2cycling wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm

I use Reaper also, mostly for the plugins. I usually record and mix with Audacity. iZotope Ozone 8 is what I’m currently diy mastering with. My interface is a 3rd Gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
Huh, I use the same Focusrite interface!

I don't have an extensive pedal collection - the physical kind anyway. I was an early adopter of the all-in-one guitar processor (ART SGX2000), controlled by a MIDI foot controller. For the last decade or so most of my tracking is done with in-the-box FX, with amp sims Amplitube and Scuffham.

Physical pedals: electro-harmonix C9 Organ Machine (which I have tracked with), MXR Berzerker Overdrive, and TC Electronic Ditto looper. Oh - and an Ebow. Love that thing.

I'm also on Spotify, YouTube, and various other streaming services as part of 3 different groups - none solo.
amazonchic

Post by amazonchic »

I am a pianist with a music degree. I’ve been teaching over two decades. I play for church and in nursing homes and retirement villages. My target demographic for teaching are retirees in group classes. We have a lot of fun playing together.
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I've been a professional classical guitarist for 50 years. My first paying gig was at age 15. While I'm not really a jazz musician, I played in a trio at resort hotels as a teenager, and worked as a studio guitarist. I was admitted to a music conservatory on a full scholarship and dropped out after two years as I was always a terrible student (probably have ADD or something) but later was invited to join the faculty of a major university college of music. I've toured internationally and have recordings on Apple Music, etc. The pandemic pretty much ended live music for the past two years so at this time I have a few students and accept occasional casual gigs at country clubs, etc. I might return to the concert stage at some point but that means I'll have to PRACTICE!
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

amazonchic wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:37 am I am a pianist with a music degree. I’ve been teaching over two decades. I play for church and in nursing homes and retirement villages. My target demographic for teaching are retirees in group classes. We have a lot of fun playing together.
As people often say these days, "Thank you for your service!"

In the same manner as you, I have also performed (and composed) for my congregation, and provided musical entertainment (usually with a female vocalist) for retirement facilities, so I can identify with your audience groups. I also organize and perform with a quartet/singer at House Concerts, which is just a wonderful venue.

The piano lessons I took as an adult changed the course of my life in many ways; previously I could play, but my lessons focused on what I wanted to learn, not just on what I needed to learn, although it did that too! This included hundreds of jazz voicings and scales: major/major 7th, minor/minor7th, dominant, half-diminished, and diminished. This propelled my playing and performance into another level. Later when I took up the sax, flute, and now the trombone, I could understand the genre in which I wanted most to play (Great American Songbook, jazz, Bossa Nova, and musical theater/Broadway. (Of course, the degree in music & composition I got at 59 didn't hurt either.)

Thanks for adding your voice to this thread!
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Cheyenne wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 am I've been a professional classical guitarist for 50 years. My first paying gig was at age 15. While I'm not really a jazz musician, I played in a trio at resort hotels as a teenager, and worked as a studio guitarist. I was admitted to a music conservatory on a full scholarship and dropped out after two years as I was always a terrible student (probably have ADD or something) but later was invited to join the faculty of a major university college of music. I've toured internationally and have recordings on Apple Music, etc.

The pandemic pretty much ended live music for the past two years so at this time I have a few students and accept occasional casual gigs at country clubs, etc. I might return to the concert stage at some point but that means I'll have to PRACTICE!
Wow, your story and journey are incredible!

Yes, the pandemic has had a severe impact on live music, but for me it meant a time to sit for an hour or two every day and learn a new instrument (trombone, which isn't like anything else I've ever done). I now have a terrific teacher and we have monthly lessons via Zoom.

I am confident you'll return to performing if you're sufficiently motivated--that motivation will come from within. What a great musical life you've had.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Jazztonight wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:48 am The piano lessons I took as an adult changed the course of my life in many ways; previously I could play, but my lessons focused on what I wanted to learn, not just on what I needed to learn, although it did that too!

This so reminds me of the flute lessons I took years ago, when I was probably in my 40s.

I met my new instructor and promptly announced that I was too old for scales and exercises, and that at this stage of my life, I wanted to "play real music!" (classical music, pre-1900/etc.)

She didn't blink, although I was expecting a lecture about how I *must* do these as well, etc.
That was mostly an intro lesson, with her figuring out what I remembered, etc.

At the next lesson, she greeted me with a smile and said something like I might want to rethink my comments about preferring "real music" to exercises and scales...
... as she handed me the sheet music to Carnevale di Venezia (Carnival of Venice). :twisted:

Some of that gets into music that might as well be "exercises and scales", but... at least it sounds much better. And it was a lot more fun, even though I was struggling mightily.

She and I got along very well. It was a good match.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
NoviceNelly

Post by NoviceNelly »

I started learning the electric bass in 2009. I'm still at it daily learning to thump, theory, learning new songs by standard notation and tab and most recently trying to learn James Jamerson's classic bass lines. I love that it takes me away from other thoughts and helps to keep these old brain cells working. Each time I learn something new, I say only a million more things to learn :oops:
t2cycling

Post by t2cycling »

dougger5 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:58 pm
t2cycling wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm

Huh, I use the same Focusrite interface!

I don't have an extensive pedal collection - the physical kind anyway. I was an early adopter of the all-in-one guitar processor (ART SGX2000), controlled by a MIDI foot controller. For the last decade or so most of my tracking is done with in-the-box FX, with amp sims Amplitube and Scuffham.

Physical pedals: electro-harmonix C9 Organ Machine (which I have tracked with), MXR Berzerker Overdrive, and TC Electronic Ditto looper. Oh - and an Ebow. Love that thing.

I'm also on Spotify, YouTube, and various other streaming services as part of 3 different groups - none solo.
Yup, love my eBow as well. I play guitar and synth tracks live and use my hardware effects chain to achieve the textures that I’m looking for. Lots of layered looping also.
Care to share your music links? I would love to give a listen. My Primitive Acoustics sound projects usually only appeal to other sound artists, so a pretty limited audience to say the least.

My current hardware pedal chain-
1. tc electronics - Hypergravity, compressor
2. electro-harmonix - Attack Decay, tape reverse simulator
3. Chase Bliss - blooper, loop manipulation
4. Montreal Assembly - Count to Five, delay sampler
5. Joyo ten band equalizer
6. Earthquaker Devices - Avalanche Run, reverb and delay
7. electro-harmonix - 720, looper with half speed and reverse modes
leo383

Post by leo383 »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:11 am Bass players
and sound techs....

Question:

Does a bass guitar with a "passive" pickup system need to be plugged into a preamp before the bass amp?

Will it increase volume?

J🌺
Years ago, it went like this:
passive or active bass--->bass preamp--->power amp--->speaker
and you can still do it that way if you'd like. Big stadium rigs still do it this way for the most part.

Much more common nowadays is the bass "head" that combines the bass preamp and the power amp into one. So it's this:
passive or active bass----->bass head--->speaker
this is the most common for the typical bar band bassist out there

A "combo" combines the preamp, the amp and the speaker into one:
passive or active bass------>bass combo

An active bass has a battery powered preamp onboard the bass and you use it to change treble/mids/bass from the bass without having to fiddle with the amp.

I play electric bass. Usually a passive P Bass into an Aguilar Bass head into Genz Benz speakers.
afatcat

Post by afatcat »

NoviceNelly wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:53 pm I started learning the electric bass in 2009. I'm still at it daily learning to thump, theory, learning new songs by standard notation and tab and most recently trying to learn James Jamerson's classic bass lines. I love that it takes me away from other thoughts and helps to keep these old brain cells working. Each time I learn something new, I say only a million more things to learn :oops:
I've been working on Jamerson lines the last couple years. They definitely are a good exercise for reading and rhythm. If you don't have the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book, that has a bunch of transcriptions. Excellent book.

I'm currently trying to go through the "Real Book" jazz charts. It seems like reading a new chart is a whole different mental exercise than reading notation. Trying to keep your place on the chart while figuring out how to get to the next chord while generally staying in the key and not use the same patterns over and over is quite the task, at least for me.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

My musical talents go back to age 5, when my parents discovered I had perfect pitch. I took some piano lessons and my dad taught me how to play the ukulele. Just some simple piano stuff, like reading music. I took some more lessons when I was 8, but those included some testing of my perfect pitch and some very valuable musical theory which would benefit me a lot years later. I also learned some fingering patters which helped me later on when playing progressions.

I was never interested in playing an instrument while in school. When my hands grew bigger, I graduated to playing the guitar and took some lessons. Just some strumming style and learning the chords.

When I was in college in the early 1980s, I began playing the piano more. Not in any band, just for personal enjoyment. Most of my songs were Scott Joplin ragtime, like the songs from "The Sting," my favorite movie when growing up. They were very difficult, so I simplified them somewhat. Later in the 1980s, I would put most of the notes I removed back in. But I made sure to note on the sheet music any remaining changes I made, a good thing.

I also began playing a lot of songs by Billy Joel, some on the piano and others on the guitar, as I was without a piano for a few years after college. Using the musical theory I had learned as a kid, I was able to easily transpose the songs to different keys to make them both more playable on the guitar and within my singing range. When I moved to my current apartment in 1989, it came with a small piano (a spinet), allowing me to resume playing the ragtime songs I had played little for several years, along with the guitar. I also bought a tuning wrench so I could tune the piano myself.

In the 1990s, I began losing interest in playing both instruments, playing only occasionally. The guitar songs, including some by Simon and Garfunkel, were easy to play, as I was just hitting chords and singing along to them.

In more recent years, I had considered getting rid of the piano because it taking up space in my small apartment but just couldn't pull the trigger. Then, in 2018, I decided to resume playing the piano, partly inspired by someone (Kristen Mosca) on YouTube who played a lot of ragtime, and also because one of my other activities had disappeared. I cleaned up the piano and tuned it up and began playing many of the ragtime songs I used to play. Because I noted in the sheet music the changes I made years ago, I didn't have to reinvent the wheel and figure out how to make the songs playable again. I even undid some of the simplifications and put back in a few notes.

I played often in 2018 and 2019 to get back up to my old form, but I didn't have the patience to play daily or anything close to that. I play often enough to keep my skill level decent but not as good as it once was.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Here's a picture of my pedalboard.

As I'm not a "rocker", it sits on a table. Most of the effects boxes are not used all at once, or very subtle for cleaner tones. IE: jazz, soft blues, oldies, etc. Some of the boxes are only for a certain tone for a certain artist and songs. IE: Santana (Samba Pati), George Benson (Breezin). Certain jazz guitar tones that I can't get on a Les Paul vs an Archtop.

It took a lot of "pedal" purchases and returns (thank goodness for Amazon great customer policy), to find the best quality and sound. (these things can get very pricey).

Under

Tips:
Plan well. The order of the effects boxes make a difference. Test and test and test. Play everything. Do preliminary layouts on the floor until you figure out what you need or don't need, the sizes of the boxes, etc. Then. . . buy the base to fit what you have.
And, allow for expansion.
Get the best isolated power supply that you can afford. Otherwise "hum", "hiss", and other nasties will come through.
In general, you get what you pay for. Cheap boxes sound cheap and introduce noise, hum, hiss, pop, etc.

Other tip: quality subtle effects equipment puts back the sound and tone quality that is lost when instruments get "amped" (plugged in). Using effects boxes this way on acoustic guitars, ukes, etc, can help a lot in a live setting, or even just quality practice sounds at home. Using effects boxes doesn't mean that one is not a "purist", and other myths, etc.
This is similar to running a Sure SM stage mic through an optical compressor, etc, on a sound system to put back the vocal richness that is stripped by the electronics.

Note: There are only 3 boxes here that I have on all the time. The rest I could do without if it came to that.
Fender: "The Bends" (compressor, etc).
"Blue Note" (similar but tube compressor like), This can be very very subtle and is a "sleeper". (not cheap).
and the "Reverb" (higher quality than the one on my practice amp).
**MXR is a great brand with consistent quality. But not the cheapest.

Note: There's a different "hearing" in practice that happens when you hear an acoustic instrument like a guitar, uke, etc, (not a piano), vs when it is "plugged" in and the sound is coming from across the room toward you, like you're the listener. Not to mention, when you make a mistake, you will indeed hear it. It will stand out like an elephant in the room. Whether poor technique, bad timing, off anything.
Way back when, some of my music teachers would have us bring cassette tape recorders to lessons, then replay whatever we were doing. Even my voice teacher. Gosh. Things sounded terrible when played back that way. AArgh!!

Pedalboards can be very cool. You can put on a headband and pretend you're playing with Dire Straits, or a Tie Die Shirt for some Hendrix, or Doo Wop. . . and . . . relive one's youth. . . distant past. . . . :shock: :shock:
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

scrabbler1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:11 pm My musical talents go back to age 5, when my parents discovered I had perfect pitch.
<snip>
Then, in 2018, I decided to resume playing the piano, partly inspired by someone (Kristen Mosca) on YouTube who played a lot of ragtime, and also because one of my other activities had disappeared. I cleaned up the piano and tuned it up and began playing many of the ragtime songs I used to play. Because I noted in the sheet music the changes I made years ago, I didn't have to reinvent the wheel and figure out how to make the songs playable again. I even undid some of the simplifications and put back in a few notes.

I played often in 2018 and 2019 to get back up to my old form, but I didn't have the patience to play daily or anything close to that. I play often enough to keep my skill level decent but not as good as it once was.
Wow!
Thanks for sharing. What a journey you've taken.

I wish I had "perfect pitch". . . or "any pitch".
I've met and jammed and played and performed with musicians with "perfect" or even "great pitch". . or "very good pitch".
It's amazing. To me, it's like magic.

You've got company. I don't think I'll ever play as good as I once did, in most areas. . but then again. . I have grown in other musical areas as well. I think it makes up for . . . bad hearing. . fading eye sight. . . stiff finger joints. . aching back. . . :( :(

Have fun!!!!
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

scrabbler1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:11 pm My musical talents go back to age 5, when my parents discovered I had perfect pitch. I took some piano lessons and my dad taught me how to play the ukulele.
Your musical journey is fascinating! And the music keeps calling you back, it seems.
When I was in college in the early 1980s, I began playing the piano more. Not in any band, just for personal enjoyment.
I can't think of a better reason to play.
I also bought a tuning wrench so I could tune the piano myself.
Funny...I just paid $165 for a basic piano tuning.
I play often enough to keep my skill level decent but not as good as it once was.
You're still young. Many people lose their musical way but find the path again. It will be there for you when you want/need it!
JonFund

Post by JonFund »

I enjoyed reading about your musical journey!
I played guitar in various bands throughout high school and college, and after majoring in music for a couple years, changed majors and graduated with a degree in Business.
Over my 40+ years in the business/logistics field, I've continued to play the guitar for my own enjoyment and occasionally, with other musicians. As I am nearing retirement, I look forward to playing more often and getting my "chops" back. In my younger years I was primarily a jazz player, but I did study classical guitar throughout college, and now that gives me the greatest satisfaction.

I guess a bonus of working hard and investing wisely for so many years, now I can finally afford some of those nice vintage guitars that I've often dreamed about!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

JonFund wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:41 pm I enjoyed reading about your musical journey!
I played guitar in various bands throughout high school and college, and after majoring in music for a couple years, changed majors and graduated with a degree in Business.
Over my 40+ years in the business/logistics field, I've continued to play the guitar for my own enjoyment and occasionally, with other musicians. As I am nearing retirement, I look forward to playing more often and getting my "chops" back. In my younger years I was primarily a jazz player, but I did study classical guitar throughout college, and now that gives me the greatest satisfaction.

I guess a bonus of working hard and investing wisely for so many years, now I can finally afford some of those nice vintage guitars that I've often dreamed about!
Thanks for sharing a wonderful musical journey.

Yes. It's great to get back to one's "musical roots" and grow from there in later years.

Now. . . is there a "list" of these "vintage guitar acquisitions" you're going to proceed with. . . ? :?:

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

After "passing on" various ukulele's and guitars, etc, to my off-spring. . .
I now have just 4 ukulele's. Two are tenors and two are "super tenors". Some are tuned "High G" for strumming, some "Low G" for instrumentals.

Here's my favorite. A "Kanile'a" (made down the street from where I used to live in Kaneohe, in Hawaii. It's a Super Tenor with great on board electronics and "red" series Aguila strings in "low G". Tuning is GCEA regular.

It's not happy coming from humid Kaneohe town on the rainy Windward side of Oahu, all the way to dry mile high Prescott, Arizona. The ends of the fret wires are starting to edge out enough to slice my fingertips a bit as the fingerboard dries out. I plan on taking it to a reputable local luthier to have the fret ends dressed and other stuff.

It sounds fantastic plugged into my mini sound system. Stage ready depending on skill level. :D :D

dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:00 pm After "passing on" various ukulele's and guitars, etc, to my off-spring. . .
I now have just 4 ukulele's. Two are tenors and two are "super tenors". Some are tuned "High G" for strumming, some "Low G" for instrumentals.

Here's my favorite. A "Kanile'a" (made down the street from where I used to live in Kaneohe, in Hawaii. It's a Super Tenor with great on board electronics and "red" series Aguila strings in "low G". Tuning is GCEA regular.

It's not happy coming from humid Kaneohe town on the rainy Windward side of Oahu, all the way to dry mile high Prescott, Arizona. The ends of the fret wires are starting to edge out enough to slice my fingertips a bit as the fingerboard dries out. I plan on taking it to a reputable local luthier to have the fret ends dressed and other stuff.

It sounds fantastic plugged into my mini sound system. Stage ready depending on skill level. :D :D

Very nice! What wood is that on the top?
marco1910

Post by marco1910 »

Greetings,

I was a Composition / Theory major in college (circa early 70's). Grew up playing blues/jazz guitar. Student of Ted Greene. Gig'd professionally in L.A. in my early twenties. Got tired of playing late night gigs in bars..etc. It seems to me a tough way to make a living (playing at night, teaching during the day). Took a temporary 6 week job in 1980 in I.T. and I've made my living as a developer, product manager, product marketing..etc. I've never stopped playing guitar. I've had some periods where I've practiced a lot and some years where I have not. At 66, I still try and practice everyday. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VCssNp3Ph4 - Freddie Hubbards - Red Clay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCnbA1e0LEQ - A quick tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ1Ptu73Yhs - Monday Night Blues

Marco
Tjb

Post by Tjb »

I play guitar and have a decent collection. I have been playing oug live off and on for years. Was in a 7 piece band years agow (The Green Onions) and now mostly solo gigs. Predominantly covers, typical pub songs, classic rock, folk country, I have written a few but don't play them out. I don't do it for the money, but, I have to admit it adds up sometimes and allows me to splurge once in a while without feeling guilty about it. I also picked up the Mandola during the Pandemic lockdown. Learned a few Irish tunes on that.

I Recently I ran a few open mics which were also very fun.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

A few of my guitars are :

1979 American Fender Strat
1972 Gibson SG
Older Breedlove Acoustic
Yamaha 12 String Acoustic
Ovation acoustic, for the Beach
Gibson / Epiphone Hummingbird acoustic
I also have a few oddball guitars, some play Ok, things my dad bougth at yard sales that I ended up with.

I have my own PA and sme pedals and try to play out 1 -2 times a month.

Fun Stuff :)

It's a hobby, and it makes a little money.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dougger5 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:17 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:00 pm After "passing on" various ukulele's and guitars, etc, to my off-spring. . .

<snip>

<snip>
Very nice! What wood is that on the top?
I think it is "Koa" wood.

Aloha
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

marco1910 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:10 am Greetings,

I was a Composition / Theory major in college (circa early 70's). Grew up playing blues/jazz guitar. Student of Ted Greene. Gig'd professionally in L.A. in my early twenties. Got tired of playing late night gigs in bars..etc. It seems to me a tough way to make a living (playing at night, teaching during the day). Took a temporary 6 week job in 1980 in I.T. and I've made my living as a developer, product manager, product marketing..etc. I've never stopped playing guitar. I've had some periods where I've practiced a lot and some years where I have not. At 66, I still try and practice everyday. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VCssNp3Ph4 - Freddie Hubbards - Red Clay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCnbA1e0LEQ - A quick tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ1Ptu73Yhs - Monday Night Blues

Marco
Aloha Marco,
What wonderful talent and skills you have for beautiful music.
It's great that you still practice every day.

Have some of Ted Greene's albums.
Very nice jazz guitar music.

What was it like as his student?

Thanks for sharing a terrific musical journey.
marco1910

Post by marco1910 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:59 am
What was it like as his student?
Ted Greene was such an amazing teacher and an even more amazing human being. He was inspiring, brilliant, humble, and caring. His impact on not only my music but my life was profound. He taught me how to learn. To enjoy the pursuit of knowledge. I use what he taught me every day. Great teachers can have such an impact on the world and he was one of them. I recorded a lot of my lessons and converted them to digital when he passed away in 2005. They currently are on his website. https://tedgreene.com/audio/audio_Lesso ... rkLevy.asp . All of his lessons are published on this site. If you are a guitar player, you can spend the rest of your life studying from this site.

for those who are not familiar with Ted Greene, here is him playing at a guitar seminar.

https://youtu.be/zDuee6blvj8

Enjoy,
M
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

marco1910 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:10 am Greetings,
I was a Composition/Theory major in college...blues/jazz guitar. Student of Ted Greene. Gig'd professionally in L.A. in my early twenties. Got tired of playing late night gigs in bars... Took a temporary 6 week job in 1980 in I.T. and I've made my living as a developer, product manager, product marketing. I've never stopped playing guitar.
I watched & listened to your samples. Beautiful sound & technique!
Glad you're still playing every day!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

NoviceNelly wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:53 pm I started learning the electric bass in 2009. I'm still at it daily learning to thump, theory, learning new songs by standard notation and tab and most recently trying to learn James Jamerson's classic bass lines. I love that it takes me away from other thoughts and helps to keep these old brain cells working. Each time I learn something new, I say only a million more things to learn :oops:
What a great background and musician/musical road!
James Jamerson's studio musician contributions are iconic, from Smokey Robinson to the Four Tops and so much more.

What brands and types of electric bass do you have?

Playing music engages all of our self. So true. :D :D

doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

So I started playing (violin) with a jazz band of senior citizens. (Well, sort of. I don't know much about jazz, never listened to it growing up, and there generally isn't any sheet music for violin.)

We're playing "American Patrol" by Glenn Miller. I had never heard it before. After rehearsal, I tell the director what a great tune it is. He says that American Patrol was originally a march! I say "Wow! It's really cool when somebody takes a song and turns it into something else!" :)

A newbie sax player (only playing a couple of years) overhears us and says
"I do that! When I play a song, I turn it into something else!" :oops: :D :D

Here's American Patrol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAVejLjXVdw
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:19 am So I started playing (violin) with a jazz band of senior citizens. (Well, sort of. I don't know much about jazz, never listened to it growing up, and there generally isn't any sheet music for violin.)

We're playing "American Patrol" by Glenn Miller. I had never heard it before. After rehearsal, I tell the director what a great tune it is. He says that American Patrol was originally a march! I say "Wow! It's really cool when somebody takes a song and turns it into something else!" :)

What a great story and experiences.
How long have you been playing violin?

I fell in love with the "Big Band Sound" in high school. Went to the library and borrowed all the records they had (33 rpm), Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc.

roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:24 am
doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:19 am So I started playing (violin) with a jazz band of senior citizens. (Well, sort of. I don't know much about jazz, never listened to it growing up, and there generally isn't any sheet music for violin.)

What a great story and experiences.
How long have you been playing violin?

I fell in love with the "Big Band Sound" in high school. Went to the library and borrowed all the records they had (33 rpm), Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc.

The Beach Boys song "Good Vibrations" was mentioned in the rock and roll thread. It got me to remembering that the signature eerie sound in that song was the work of former Glenn Miller Orchestra trombonist Paul Tanner. Tanner developed and played the Electrotheremin. He also played it on the theme song of the TV show "My Favorite Martian". Per Wikipedia, the prototype Electrotheremin was donated/sold to a hospital for audiology work. :)
Abe

Post by Abe »

I thought I would learn to play blues on harmonica. After fooling with the thing off and on for a few years, I'm about ready to give up. Of course I've said that before, but I eventually pick it up and try again. I don't think I'm musically inclined. :(
Slow and steady wins the race.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Abe wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:34 pm I thought I would learn to play blues on harmonica. After fooling with the thing off and on for a few years, I'm about ready to give up. Of course I've said that before, but I eventually pick it up and try again. I don't think I'm musically inclined. :(
My own belief is that if a person who's motivated to learn music is struggling with a particular instrument it just means they haven't found the right instrument for them...yet.

I moved around from one instrument to another (including the guitar), before finding the "right" ones. (When I was learning the saxophone, someone told that "the saxophone is one of the easiest instruments to learn to play badly.")

Does any instrument besides the blues harmonica speak to you?
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

Abe wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:34 pm I thought I would learn to play blues on harmonica. After fooling with the thing off and on for a few years, I'm about ready to give up. Of course I've said that before, but I eventually pick it up and try again. I don't think I'm musically inclined. :(
Harmonica (including blues harp) was one of the first instruments I picked up.

Harmonica doesn’t require a huge amount of technique. It’s a breath operated instrument so it can be very expressive. Twelve bar blues is a fairly simple musical form so it’s easy to develop an intuitive sense of what notes sound good and where they are on the instrument. You should be able to play something musically satisfying without a lot of effort.

Don’t give up yet. I don’t know how you’ve approached learning blues harmonica. Hopefully you understand how to figure out the key a blues song is in and what key harmonica to use (e.g. if a song is in the key of A you need an E harmonica to play blues-style cross harp). I think it would be very valuable to have some lessons with a teacher, either in person or online. A good teacher should get you playing something musical pretty quickly. That can be very motivating. Good luck.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I bought myself a handful of "Lee Oscar" quality harmonica s in the most popular keys, including Bb for blues, etc.
On Amazon, about 43 dollars each.
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Oskar-Harmon ... 575&sr=8-4
The C harmonica will play what everyone is familiar with, campfire singalong boy scout girl scout type things. "Oh Sussanna", etc.
I listened to a bunch of classic blues harmonica, Sonny Terry, James Cotton, etc and played around with recreating the bends, etc.

A harmonica is as close as one can get to whistling. For me, despite looking at books and manuals and watching Youtube lessons (nowadays equiv). It was just learning by ear and just playing the harmonica, watching old videos of iconic harmonica players, what they did with their hands, etc.

It's tough to get a "blues harmonica sound" without being in the right key with the right harmonica.
Also, quality harmonicas are easier to bend notes. Cheap ones are terrible. Research which brands and types of harmonics are best for blues.
Then, get a handful of them in various keys.

Also, those that play with a neck brace and a guitar are going to have a different sound than those using both hands on a harmonica.

Here is a link to the "LeeOscar" harmonic site with some tips on which harmonicas to use for what and have.
https://leeoskar.com/ufaqs/which-keys-should-i-buy/

Another harmonica website with tips from basic to advanced.
https://www.harpsurgery.com/1st-positio ... on-part-1/
Hope this helps.

protagonist

Post by protagonist »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:53 pm

The Beach Boys song "Good Vibrations" was mentioned in the rock and roll thread. It got me to remembering that the signature eerie sound in that song was the work of former Glenn Miller Orchestra trombonist Paul Tanner. Tanner developed and played the Electrotheremin. He also played it on the theme song of the TV show "My Favorite Martian". Per Wikipedia, the prototype Electrotheremin was donated/sold to a hospital for audiology work. :)
Theremin is probably the most difficult instrument to master, because you are essentially altering the tone with your own bodies' electromagnetic field...it is subject to (and exquisitely sensitive to) constant environmental changes, and you have no real reference point. Very slight movements will result in marked changes in pitch....you have to have an extremely refined ear ,very fine motor control and a lot of patience. I fooled around with one for a couple of weeks (I borrowed it from the local library) and though I am an experienced saxophonist I gave up out of frustration....I decided the amount of time I would have to spend to "sound good" was much better spent honing my sax chops.
I think it is for that reason that it is mostly heard creating those "eerie" otherworldly sounds in sci-fi movies (or in songs like Good Vibrations). When played well it is a hauntingly beautiful instrument with a sound unlike any other. There are classical thereminists, jazz thereminists, rock thereminists....

Here is an example of the instrument played well by a master: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk
And here is a fun rendition of "Video Killed the Radio Star" and a demonstration of how it works. I love this video. I also like this guy's fashion sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNl8qq-f1F0. You can actually imagine the theremin singing the lyrics.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:37 am
Jazztonight wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:48 am The piano lessons I took as an adult changed the course of my life in many ways; previously I could play, but my lessons focused on what I wanted to learn, not just on what I needed to learn, although it did that too!

This so reminds me of the flute lessons I took years ago, when I was probably in my 40s.

I met my new instructor and promptly announced that I was too old for scales and exercises, and that at this stage of my life, I wanted to "play real music!" (classical music, pre-1900/etc.)

She didn't blink, although I was expecting a lecture about how I *must* do these as well, etc.
That was mostly an intro lesson, with her figuring out what I remembered, etc.

At the next lesson, she greeted me with a smile and said something like I might want to rethink my comments about preferring "real music" to exercises and scales...
... as she handed me the sheet music to Carnevale di Venezia (Carnival of Venice). :twisted:

Some of that gets into music that might as well be "exercises and scales", but... at least it sounds much better. And it was a lot more fun, even though I was struggling mightily.

She and I got along very well. It was a good match.

RM
I liked this story.
Another example is Giant Steps, which John Coltrane supposedly originally wrote as an exercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6NCx0wcrC4
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jazztonight wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:28 pm
My own belief is that if a person who's motivated to learn music is struggling with a particular instrument it just means they haven't found the right instrument for them...yet.

I moved around from one instrument to another (including the guitar), before finding the "right" ones. (When I was learning the saxophone, someone told that "the saxophone is one of the easiest instruments to learn to play badly.")

Does any instrument besides the blues harmonica speak to you?
I agree with this wholeheartedly, Jazztonight. Good advice.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

protagonist wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:29 am

Theremin is probably the most difficult instrument to master, because you are essentially altering the tone with your own bodies' electromagnetic field...it is subject to (and exquisitely sensitive to) constant environmental changes, and you have no real reference point. Very slight movements will result in marked changes in pitch....you have to have an extremely refined ear ,very fine motor control and a lot of patience. I fooled around with one for a couple of weeks (I borrowed it from the local library) and though I am an experienced saxophonist I gave up out of frustration....I decided the amount of time I would have to spend to "sound good" was much better spent honing my sax chops.
I think it is for that reason that it is mostly heard creating those "eerie" otherworldly sounds in sci-fi movies (or in songs like Good Vibrations). When played well it is a hauntingly beautiful instrument with a sound unlike any other. There are classical thereminists, jazz thereminists, rock thereminists....

Here is an example of the instrument played well by a master: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk ...
Hi protag: Really enjoyed hearing this instrument for the first time and you describe the needed skills well, especially that "extremely refined ear." Do you happen to know of videos of good classical, jazz, and rock thereminists?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Abe

Post by Abe »

Thanks Jazztonight, LinearRange and Sandtrap for the advise and encouragement. I do have a few harmonicas, Lee Oscar and Hohner Special 20's in various keys. I watch Adam Gussow, Will Wilde, Tomlin Leckie and other videos on YouTube. I understand about the keys and that I have to count up 5 keys from the harmonica key. I am familiar with the twelve bar blues form and blues scale, and can do fairly well changing cords at the appropriate place using the 1, 4 and 5 cords over a blues backing track. My progress goes in cycles from I think I'm doing pretty good, to terrible. I used to know an older black man and he was pretty good playing blues on the harmonica. He has since passed away. I wish I had asked him to help me, but back then I didn't have time for it. I guess I should spend some money and hire a teacher. Thanks again everyone.
Last edited by Abe on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Fallible wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:55 am
protagonist wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:29 am

Here is an example of the instrument played well by a master: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk ...
Hi protag: Really enjoyed hearing this instrument for the first time and you describe the needed skills well, especially that "extremely refined ear." Do you happen to know of videos of good classical, jazz, and rock thereminists?
I think it is best suited to slow, haunting music. I can't profess to be an expert. A few varied examples , other than those above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qf9O6c20o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSzTPGlNa5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA09W7orJCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ywH1Vj8_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhRlmBSNjIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY7sXKGZl2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9t440WDZCY
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

protagonist wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:45 pm
Fallible wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:55 am
I think it is best suited to slow, haunting music. I can't profess to be an expert. A few varied examples , other than those above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5qf9O6c20o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSzTPGlNa5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA09W7orJCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ywH1Vj8_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhRlmBSNjIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY7sXKGZl2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9t440WDZCY
I found these two to be pretty good, especially the first one:

Debussy - Clair de Lune on the theremin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjnaciNT-wQ

Theremin jazz song: Autumn leaves by Maurizio Vento
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF-nf3e76AI

Several rock songs with theramin covers were not that great. Especially Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit". In the right hands it could probably be okay, but not the version I stumbled on.
Castanea_d.

Post by Castanea_d. »

I'm loving this thread! :D
I retired at the end of 2019 from a career as a church organist/choirmaster. Started piano at age 12, was totally nuts over classical music, Beethoven most of all, played for church all through high school, sang in the school choir, often played accompaniments for them.

Piano major in college, went to a trade school and became a piano technician when I figured out I needed to make a living. That plus teaching piano lessons and a part time janitor job was still pretty minimal so i was always looking for more stuff to do. A local church was looking for an organist. I told them I was a good pianist but had never played the organ at all. They said, "You're hired." Some good person had left s tattered copy of the organ method book by Sir John Stainer in the organ bench and I taught myself. Eventually I went to grad school to learn to do it right and also to learn choral conducting, for I had fallen in love with church music.

And that was what I did for the next forty years. Lots of good memories, especially from working with the choirs. Playing the hymns when the congregation really gets going was maybe best of all,, along with long-term friendships with the choir singers, choir parents, and other local musicians.

I retired, we moved to another state in Feb. 2020 and right away, Covid. We are still pretty isolated, but thank goodness, I have a good piano, a Yamaha N3, with headphones. Most every night after my wife goes to bed, I sit down at the bench and play for an hour or two or three. Life is good.

As a few others have said, a big thank you to John Bogle and (once I found it) Bogleheads! We never had big incomes, but thanks in part to what I learned here, we are well set for a financially comfirtable retirement.

Again, I love this thread and all the great stories about how music has been a part of people's lives.