What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AnnetteLouisan

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

novicemoney wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:29 pm Myrna Loy, Theresa Wright and Cathy O'Donnell were very fine in this movie. Virginia Mayo had the thankless task of being the flighty, shallow wife to the Dana Andrews caracter. She's good in this movie because by the end you really dislike her. The movie is playing on Amazon Prime for free.
“Flighty, shallow”… yes. But also a glamorous, dynamic, strong willed, independent and practical bon vivante who was willing to get a job to support herself rather than live in poverty with her husband’s parents while he was away, who wouldn’t be bossed around by a depressed party pooper, with very good taste in men. She rightly pointed out that he had likely been no angel either in the years they were separated, and she brusquely and decisively initiated the divorce. WW2 forced many women into the workplace and she epitomized the beginning of a trend toward modernism in which women were less passive because they had their own money (if not yet their own credit cards). I think the movie used her superficially distasteful and loathsome character to reflect the conflicts and social change caused by the war. My point of course is not that opportunism and disloyalty are good things, just that there is a lot to unpack in each character and a lot of foreshadowing of what was to come (for example the GI bill taking off and the rise of commuter suburbs). Really just a great job overall depicting the times.

Another great film is Rossellini’s Paisa, which consists of 5-6 war vignettes, illustrating interactions, heroism and tragic misunderstandings between soldiers and local Italians.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

I take your point, the Virginia Mayo character knew what she wanted and was not afraid to say so. The problem was they were 2 different people who should not have got married. They got caught up in the emotion of the times and married too soon. They weren't a good match and in that sense it was nobodies fault things did not work out. Did I mention I really liked the movie :happy ? Greatly enjoyed the exchange.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

novicemoney wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:24 pm I take your point, the Virginia Mayo character knew what she wanted and was not afraid to say so. The problem was they were 2 different people who should not have got married. They got caught up in the emotion of the times and married too soon. They weren't a good match and in that sense it was nobodies fault things did not work out. Did I mention I really liked the movie :happy ? Greatly enjoyed the exchange.
Same here!
The phenomenon of so called “war brides” marrying their husbands too soon before they really had a chance to get to know each other and then being separated for years (if not permanently) was another sign of the times.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

daleddm wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:15 am Lunana - A Yak in the Classroom

... on Netflix. Best Foreign Film nomination this year (Bhutan).

The cute kids (real) at the remote school (real), and then there's the thing with the yak - necessity of burning of yak dung in a place so remote (advice to the new teacher: if you need more dung to be warmer, you feed the yak more).
+1, this movie was great for many things, good to see the appreciation for knowledge, learning (and the teacher’s transformation, I would probably decide the same thing as the teacher did at the end).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Regarding The Best Years of Our Lives, The discussion is getting derailed. Please limit comments to the movie itself.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

jjunk wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:56 pm We just finished watching "The Report" and it was excellent. Very interesting story about the torture report from 10yrs ago and how it came to be. Adam Driver was very, very good. Definitely recommend.
Just saw this on Amazon Prime.
Gripping movie based on real events.
Driver was great :beer
Also highly recommend.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We just watched My Octopus Teacher on Netflix. It was wonderful. It also made me appreciate my investment in first rate video and audio.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Comancheros

In keeping with a 4th of July tradition we watched a John Wayne
movie and this year it was the 1961 film The Comancheros. Texas
Ranger Jake Cutter (John Wayne) and gambler Paul Regret (Stuart Whitman),
initially adversaries, team up with a large contingent of Texas Rangers to
battle the Comanches and the Comancheros with whom they traded, including
rifles.
Typical John Wayne fare but the part that fascinated me was the plethora of
character actors that were so recognizable from movies/television in the 1950s-
1970s era. Nehemiah Persoff plays a great role as the educated, well spoken
villain and Lee Marvin makes a brief appearance before being dispatched by
Ranger Jake Cutter in a gunfight.
Kind of dated but a vintage John Wayne classic.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

All The Old Knives (2022)
On Prime Video.
Good cast but frankly a little too convoluted for my taste.
The CIA is hunting a mole within in retrospect.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

The Marksman (2021)
Prime video.
Liam Neeson playing a violent version of Clint Eastwood from Cry Macho.
Liked it quite a bit.
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

sunny_socal wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:58 pm Top Gun Maverick - do yourself a favor and go watch it while it's still in the theaters! Excellent sequel, better than the original.

Reminds me of these: Incredible 1st release, even better sequel
- Alien:Aliens
- Terminator:Terminator2
Really do yourself a favor, if you see Top Gun Maverick, see it at an IMAX theatre. Even if you have to go at 10 pm, as I did. Flight scenes were not CIG, were actually flown with actors in the planes.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Blacklight. Liam Neeson. Typical Liam Neeson movie. I'd give it 5/10. Not great, but pretty much as expected. We're somewhat of suckers for those types of movies.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Cars and Cars 2. Great theming of Route 66 retro stuff.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

On the Netflix:

"Queen of the South"
"Love & Anarchy: Season 2"
"Christina P: Mom Genes"
"Cristela Alonzo: Middle Classy"
"The Mist"
"Man Vs Bee" - the grandkids enjoyed
"Two Summers"
"Intimacy"
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

My wife's favorite movie is "Diva," a French cult thriller made in 1981 about a young Parisian moped messenger and his obsession with an opera soprano who has always refused to have her work recorded. The film opens with the messenger attending her recital and making a reel-to-reel tape from his seat for his own enjoyment. Music bootleggers sitting just behind him watch and understand the significance of what he is doing. The multi-layered plot proceeds from there with intense suspense, dark humor, unlikely romance, and a cast of usual and unusual characters (mostly) well-portrayed. Of note is that the opera diva is played by Wilhelmina Wiggins Fernandez, a gorgeous American soprano who wows with her beautiful voice as she sings an aria from the opera "La Wally."

The cinematography is stylish and slick and enhances the plot, the streets of Paris both seamy and gorgeous, etc. I loved the direction of Jean-Jacques Beineix' first effort. The plot takes us from calmness to surprise and back. Don't ignore my favorite minor character, an assassin called "Le Cure," for dark humor and surprise at his end. What's he always listening to with that earpiece, anyway?

Some of the film is in English but you need to be comfortable with either French or subtitles for the rest. If you are into cars or Paris you will enjoy reminiscing over those. There is some of what I would call "mild" violence and blood with quick portrayals of individual assassinations and muggings rather than wholesale bar room scenes with graphic stunts and gushes of prop blood and no one left alive. A stellar chase scene unfolds on the streets of Paris and its subway system (the "Metro"), made all the more suspenseful than the standard fare by its use not of fast cars and buff characters, but of a skinny kid eluding the police by taking advantage of the fact that he is on a moped and can navigate sidewalks, columns, and subway escalators.

My wife watches this on a DVD, which I think you can get for very little from Jeff Bezos, if you can stand that. Maybe try eBay. She believes it is well worth the search and expense.

In his review Roger Ebert said, 'Peering into obscure corners of Paris, Jean-Jacques Beineix emerged with an assembly of unlikely, even impossible, characters to populate his "Diva" (1981), a thriller that is more about how it looks than what happens in it. Here is an exhilarating film made for no better purpose than to surprise and fascinate.' For his entertaining review see https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/diva-2008 . "C'est formidable!"
Nothing to say, really.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

Elvis.

A bit too long. It felt like Tom Hanks demanded a minimum amount of dialog so they created drivel for him to say, detracting from Elvis' story.

The actor who plays Elvis is excellent and for those unaware of his role in the evolution of music it is a good backgrounder.

There is an odd scene at an airport where Elvis and Priscilla part ways. A limo has Tennessee plates and the airport is clearly LAX, but the implication is that Elvis is flying to Las Vegas and Priscilla is remaining in Memphis. A goof?
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Offcial Competition. An eccentric director (Penelope Cruz) and her two egotistical leading actors (Antonio Banderas and Oscar Martinez) go into rehearsals before shooting a feature film. A very enjoyable comedy. The three stars are excellent.

I saw it in the theater.

Recommended.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Interlude in Prague on Amazon Prime (free).

A 2017 film, set in Prague in 1787, where Mozart is brought to conduct the final performance of his hit opera The Marriage of Figaro, while also working on a new piece. He runs afoul of a evil aristocrat, whose actions inspire him to complete his new work, the opera Don Giovanni (which really did premier in Prague in 1787). Knowing something of the plot of Don Giovanni can help one better appreciate the movie, but is not essential.

It is visually stunning (both the recreation of 18th century Prague and the cinematography), filled with Mozart's glorious music, and the plot drew me in. Recommended.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
matti

Post by matti »

We recently had family in town and watched "A Quiet Place 2." It was not as good as the first in the series, but I didn't think the first one lived up to the hype. I suspect there will be a third one coming out at some point.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

DW and I just watched "On Golden Pond". Haven't watched it in years but really enjoyed it!!!

After watching it, I got interested in some of the details of the movie making so I scanned Wikipedia for a few details. What I found interesting
is the scene where Billy Ray Jr. (the kid) smashed the boat into the rock. They had to do several takes on this scene because the first few attempts
they couldn't get the boat to "smash up"! They had to physically weaken the boat in order to get it to smash into pieces!
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

CloseEnough wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:51 am
sunny_socal wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:58 pm Top Gun Maverick - do yourself a favor and go watch it while it's still in the theaters! Excellent sequel, better than the original.

Really do yourself a favor, if you see Top Gun Maverick, see it at an IMAX theatre. Even if you have to go at 10 pm, as I did. Flight scenes were not CIG, were actually flown with actors in the planes.
It is a movie that definitely has to be seen in a movie theater at the very least. Most fun I've had at the movies in a long time (and we really never stopped going through Covid after theaters re-opened).
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

MDfan wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:22 am

It is a movie that definitely has to be seen in a movie theater at the very least. Most fun I've had at the movies in a long time (and we really never stopped going through Covid after theaters re-opened).
I prefer my 83” screen and 5.2.6 sound system. If necessary, my wife can crinkle candy wrappers to make it seem like a real movie theater. Plus, my ears appreciate the control I have over volume.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

That's a bigger screen than I have. But I still prefer the theater for a movie like this. I went during the day when it wasn't crowded so no issue with candy wrappers.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:14 pm

I prefer my 83” screen and 5.2.6 sound system. If necessary, my wife can crinkle candy wrappers to make it seem like a real movie theater. Plus, my ears appreciate the control I have over volume.
I've heard this ("Maverick is a movie you just have to see in theatres") from so many people. I don't care how amazing the theatre sound is, it doesn't overcome how much I dislike the "theatre experience".
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:12 pm

I've heard this ("Maverick is a movie you just have to see in theatres") from so many people. I don't care how amazing the theatre sound is, it doesn't overcome how much I dislike the "theatre experience".
It’s a meme that has to be encouraged, by the business, as movie theaters really have little to commend them other than to adolescents (and mostly adolescent boys for that matter). Kids like loud noises and flashy objects.

I don’t particularly care, one way or the other, except that it means that films will increasingly be based on video games and comics, more action and noise than plot, etc.

In the meantime, I’ll luxuriate in my recliner, listening to my 13 speakers at appropriate levels tuned for the two seats that matter, being able to pause when I wish to, and being able to bail on substandard fare when I want to without sunk cost concerns.

Watching My Octopus Teacher here was lovely. The sound was surprisingly well done for a film that mostly took place under water.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

For the "full" movie theater experience, perhaps she could also sprinkle some popcorn bits on your seat, and spill some sticky stuff on the floor near your feet. I could continue....

Then you'll feel it's like the real deal.
:annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:57 pm

For the "full" movie theater experience, perhaps she could also sprinkle some popcorn bits on your seat, and spill some sticky stuff on the floor near your feet. I could continue....

RM
You also need a few crying infants, a 4yr old kicking the back of your seat, and a group of people next to you all on their phones.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Infiltrator” on Tubi. Based on a true story of the drug wars in the 1980s. Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Infil ... 2016_film)

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

peppers wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:26 pm House of Gucci

Paraphrasing a review...unbridled ambition unravels a family legacy and starts a spiral of betrayal, decadence and revenge. Starring Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Al Pacino and Jeremy Irons. Enjoyed Lady Gaga's performance as Patrizia Reggiani who marries into the Gucci family. The film held our interest until the end.

Viewed on Amazon
Watched House of Gucci today.
Free DVD from public library.
Gaga was fantastic and a good cast, though some performances were over the top. Leto’s make-up made him unrecognizable!
musicagogo

Post by musicagogo »

palaheel wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:13 am My wife's favorite movie is "Diva," a French cult thriller made in 1981 about a young Parisian moped messenger and his obsession with an opera soprano who has always refused to have her work recorded. The film opens with the messenger attending her recital and making a reel-to-reel tape from his seat for his own enjoyment. Music bootleggers sitting just behind him watch and understand the significance of what he is doing. The multi-layered plot proceeds from there with intense suspense, dark humor, unlikely romance, and a cast of usual and unusual characters (mostly) well-portrayed. Of note is that the opera diva is played by Wilhelmina Wiggins Fernandez, a gorgeous American soprano who wows with her beautiful voice as she sings an aria from the opera "La Wally."

The cinematography is stylish and slick and enhances the plot, the streets of Paris both seamy and gorgeous, etc. I loved the direction of Jean-Jacques Beineix' first effort. The plot takes us from calmness to surprise and back. Don't ignore my favorite minor character, an assassin called "Le Cure," for dark humor and surprise at his end. What's he always listening to with that earpiece, anyway?

Some of the film is in English but you need to be comfortable with either French or subtitles for the rest. If you are into cars or Paris you will enjoy reminiscing over those. There is some of what I would call "mild" violence and blood with quick portrayals of individual assassinations and muggings rather than wholesale bar room scenes with graphic stunts and gushes of prop blood and no one left alive. A stellar chase scene unfolds on the streets of Paris and its subway system (the "Metro"), made all the more suspenseful than the standard fare by its use not of fast cars and buff characters, but of a skinny kid eluding the police by taking advantage of the fact that he is on a moped and can navigate sidewalks, columns, and subway escalators.

My wife watches this on a DVD, which I think you can get for very little from Jeff Bezos, if you can stand that. Maybe try eBay. She believes it is well worth the search and expense.

In his review Roger Ebert said, 'Peering into obscure corners of Paris, Jean-Jacques Beineix emerged with an assembly of unlikely, even impossible, characters to populate his "Diva" (1981), a thriller that is more about how it looks than what happens in it. Here is an exhilarating film made for no better purpose than to surprise and fascinate.' For his entertaining review see https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/diva-2008 . "C'est formidable!"
I second this. I too saw the movie many many years ago and own an old DVD of it. Great movie. And one of my favorite versions of “The Wally”.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:09 pm

RM
You also need a few crying infants, a 4yr old kicking the back of your seat, and a group of people next to you all on their phones.

Glad I don't live near your theater. Because I've never experienced any of that in mine.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MDfan wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:17 am
stoptothink wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:09 pm

RM

Glad I don't live near your theater. Because I've never experienced any of that in mine.
All those things were present the last time we went. Seems like every time we go (maybe once a year), my wife says "this is the last time".

We were actually invited again (3rd time) last night to see "Maverick" with some friends and wife immediately turned it down.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I could see how that would be annoying. We usually go to the movies on a weekday and don't have any of those issues. And we used to go at least once a week when there were more movies coming out. Now it's about once a month. Just saw Elvis, Maverick and the new Thor movie. Enjoyed all 3.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

As The Earth Turns

A silent, 45 minute long, amateur sci-fi film from 1938, on TCM. Lost for 80 years in a basement, it was directed by 20 year old Richard Lyford, who later went on to a long and distinguished film-making career of mostly non-fiction subjects, including winning an Academy Award for a documentary in 1950. It's not great by professional standards, but very well done for a low budget film starring a bunch of college students. Great editing and a fast pace. You can clearly see how someone with the talent to bring such a project together at age 20 would go on to greater things.

Apparently it's also available on Tubi.
https://www.astheearthturns.com/
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MDfan wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:02 am I could see how that would be annoying. We usually go to the movies on a weekday and don't have any of those issues. And we used to go at least once a week when there were more movies coming out. Now it's about once a month. Just saw Elvis, Maverick and the new Thor movie. Enjoyed all 3.
Weekdays in the daytime and you might have the whole theater to yourselves. During the height of Covid we could socially distance as much as desired.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
radioactive

Post by radioactive »

jginseattle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:52 pm Offcial Competition. An eccentric director (Penelope Cruz) and her two egotistical leading actors (Antonio Banderas and Oscar Martinez) go into rehearsals before shooting a feature film. A very enjoyable comedy. The three stars are excellent.
Thanks for the recommendation! My partner and I watched it tonight, what a great movie! Note: Original language title is "Competencia oficial"
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Cruise wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 am Watched Minari, available on a number of platforms for $$. Won Golden Globes for best foreign film, but actually made in the USA. Has Oscar nomination.

Interesting drama about work ethic, family dynamics, and pursuit of the American dream. Mostly in Korean, with subtitles.
I just watched this and really enjoyed it. It is a quiet, heart-warming movie with an interesting perspective on the tough lives (and dreams) immigrants may have. Also a wonderful bond between the grandma and grandson.

7.4 IMDb
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Harry in Your Pocket (1973)

James Coburn
Walter Pidgeon
Trish Van Devere
Michael Sarrazin

Two young people (Sarrazin, Van Devere) are taken under the wings of an older pickpocket team (Coburn Pidgeon) and trained in the art of picking pockets. Of course, Coburn and Pidgeon are excellent. The other two are decent in their rolls. Overall, it made for an interesting and entertaining movie. The pickpocketing is instructive! The year 1973 is well represented and might be especially interesting to those who are familiar with 1973.

I enjoyed it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Adjustment Bureau on Amazon Prime ($3.99 rental), rated PG-13, Matt Damon, 2011, romance / sci-fi / thriller. A politician meets a dancer, but their relationship is interfered with by an unknown agency.

I'm used to R-rated movies and the PG-13 rating was very apparent. It's a heart-throb romance that's easy to watch and entertaining. The movie is well produced. Not bad.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:18 am The Adjustment Bureau on Amazon Prime ($3.99 rental), rated PG-13, Matt Damon, 2011, romance / sci-fi / thriller. A politician meets a dancer, but their relationship is interfered with by an unknown agency.

I'm used to R-rated movies and the PG-13 rating was very apparent. It's a heart-throb romance that's easy to watch and entertaining. The movie is well produced. Not bad.

For some reason, we really took to this movie. It can be viewed from a bit of a deeper perspective.

Ever since, when some events just "click", we'll joke about how The Adjustment Bureau must be involved.

RM
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Deadwood The Movie - (HBOMax 2019)

I really enjoyed the original series, but was a little disappointed with this movie. It felt a bit too much like some fan-service deal, giving some sense of closure to nearly every main character, but I guess; that was the intent as this obviously is the end of the road. That said, the movie remained largely true to the original series with the same clever writing, foul-mouthed dialogue, and the usual mayhem, and I'm glad I watched it.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:19 am Deadwood The Movie - (HBOMax 2019)

I really enjoyed the original series, but was a little disappointed with this movie. It felt a bit too much like some fan-service deal, giving some sense of closure to nearly every main character, but I guess; that was the intent as this obviously is the end of the road. That said, the movie remained largely true to the original series with the same clever writing, foul-mouthed dialogue, and the usual mayhem, and I'm glad I watched it.
I had similar reactions to the movie. The original series was great! I'm also glad they did do the movie.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

black jack wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:50 pm Interlude in Prague on Amazon Prime (free).

A 2017 film, set in Prague in 1787, where Mozart is brought to conduct the final performance of his hit opera The Marriage of Figaro, while also working on a new piece. He runs afoul of a evil aristocrat, whose actions inspire him to complete his new work, the opera Don Giovanni (which really did premier in Prague in 1787). Knowing something of the plot of Don Giovanni can help one better appreciate the movie, but is not essential.

It is visually stunning (both the recreation of 18th century Prague and the cinematography), filled with Mozart's glorious music, and the plot drew me in. Recommended.

This description had us very eager to watch this movie. I mean, who/what is better than Mozart and his music? And we try to see Don Giovanni at the Met every now and then (and we don't live in NY).

However, the movie is rather grim, right from the start. It didn't seem all that historically accurate (but we only watched some of it, so perhaps it got better wrt "history"). If so, it wasn't as though that was precisely how things happened, so some of it wasn't necessary. There didn't seem to be much to "enjoy", and we have enough to fret about with Covid, political events, etc., recently. Perhaps it just wasn't what we were expecting.
We did not finish it, which is unusual for us with a movie.
{We sometimes "give up" on a series, but rarely on a single sitting movie.]

We were expecting something "special", but in a different way. :( .

RM
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If you want a good movie about Mozart, check out Amadeus (1984).
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

radioactive wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:47 pm
jginseattle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:52 pm Offcial Competition. An eccentric director (Penelope Cruz) and her two egotistical leading actors (Antonio Banderas and Oscar Martinez) go into rehearsals before shooting a feature film. A very enjoyable comedy. The three stars are excellent.
Thanks for the recommendation! My partner and I watched it tonight, what a great movie! Note: Original language title is "Competencia oficial"
What I liked about this dark comedy is the amount of time that passes between a set-up and the final punch line. The billionaire thinks about
building a bridge as a legacy in the opening shot. The "dental bleaching" ad that the actor stumbles upon while searching for cancer info. Banderas
line at the final Q&A session, "I'm sure he would have played both roles if the situation was reversed".

In most American comedies, the punchline is delivered mere seconds after the set-up. Also the ambiguous ending as to what happens after Martinez
leaves the hospital. I enjoyed this film at the theater, but it's not for everyone.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I was a little reluctant to admit that I like this movie, but Napoleon Dynamite. I've seen it a few times over the years, and it always makes me laugh. The atmosphere of the movie is very bizarre and unique. The main characters are incredibly obtuse. I guess it has reached cult classic status.

Napoleon's chicken farm job reminds me of some of the crummy jobs I had in my early teenage years. Also, the idea of Uncle Rico buying a time machine online, and what happens after he buys it, is hilarious. :D
Last edited by OpenMinded1 on Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Thor Love and Thunder. I am a big MCU fan so this was a must see. While not as good as Thor Ragnarok IMO, it was still enjoyable and very funny. Bale was excellent as the villain, wish he'd been in more of the movie.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

jjunk wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:40 am
Morbius. Yuck. Probably the worst Marvel movie I've seen in a long, long time. The worst thing a comic movie can be is boring, and thats exactly what this was. Not recommended unless you just want to keep up with the various threads of Marvel since they'll likely all tie in at some point (which is why I saw it)
Watched Morbius this weekend.
Thankfully free DVD from public library.
Horrid. Leto is wasted.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Tubes wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:28 am
MoonOrb wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:15 pm For some reason I decided to spend 2.5 hours watching Matrix: Resurrections.
Me too. Nobody here has been too kind, but I decided to watch anyway. They were right.

It is a mess of a movie, and I rarely want to say I want my 2 1/2 hours back, but I want my 2 1/2 hours back!

It is too busy with little time to develop characters. It never rests. Much of the CGI and effects are good, but some near the end are actually cringe-worthy. There are no surprises. Wachowski decides to throw shade on the red/blue pill concept, to the point that one character declares "we can do this without it." This is THE iconic element from the first film. I suspect Wachowski feels this concept has become politically loaded in a manner she disapproves of so she basically weakened it.
Agree.
Saw today, free DVD from public library.
Devoid of the fantastic choreography, music and philosophy of the original.
Baiting with scenes from the trilogy interspersed just illustrates how far removed this one is.
Nothing iconic, just a confusing bore.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Uncharted (2022)
Rented at Redbox, used promo code so freeee :mrgreen:
Pirates of the Caribbean meets National Treasure with Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg.
Some good action sequences, a little draggy.
Didn't love it nor hate it, but a good way to pass the time.