Trail Runners - What Shoes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Trail Runners - What Shoes?

Post by NYCaviator »

Looking for some new trail runners, but supply chain shortages are making things challenging...

I used Altras for hiking and trail, but as I put more miles in on pavement in traditional running shoes, the Altras feel worse on my feet.

Also looked at Hoka Speedgoat, but like almost every other Hoka I've tried, my toe touches the material on the upper just standing there, so I'm worried about blisters on longer runs.

Brooks Cascadia feel like concrete blocks and the Saucony Peregrine is way too narrow for me.

What are other trail runners using? Open to trying something new (assuming you can actually get it in stock :( )
jebmke

Re: Trail Runners - What Shoes?

Post by jebmke »

Shoes are a very personal item in terms of fit. I doubt any random advice here would help. For my "running shoes" -- I don't run, I walk fast -- I go to a running store and work with the staff to find a good fit. I used to wear Saucony exclusively but they changed the last so their shoes no longer work for me. It would have taken me weeks to sort this out buying shoes online so I avoid that method of shopping as much as I can.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Sammy_M

Post by Sammy_M »

I've been happy with my Salomon Speedcross for trail running, but they run narrow. I like Altras wide toe box for hiking though since feet tend to swell.
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

I've been happy with my Brooks Calderas. I test shoes for Brooks and didn't enjoy the Cascadia at all but ran a ton of miles in the Caldera. Hokas and Altra don't have much drop from heel to toe which causes me issues on trails. But surprisingly Hokas tend to work well for me on pavement as long as they are stiff.
bumblebh

Post by bumblebh »

I go to a running store and work with the staff to find a good fit.
This. You might pay a little more, but the staff at a good running store will help direct you to something that will work for your feet and purposes. You already know why some other brands do not work for you so this will be beneficial most likely when you shop there.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

bumblebh wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:24 am
I go to a running store and work with the staff to find a good fit.
This. You might pay a little more, but the staff at a good running store will help direct you to something that will work for your feet and purposes. You already know why some other brands do not work for you so this will be beneficial most likely when you shop there.
I always buy local, but most of specialty running stores near me are staffed by high school kids who run track. They definitely try to be helpful (and I appreciate that) but I question whether they really know what they’re talking about. When I was trying new road running shoes, I got some bad advice where they tried to put me in stability shoes, which I’ve never been able to run in.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Tim_in_GA wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:22 am I've been happy with my Brooks Calderas. I test shoes for Brooks and didn't enjoy the Cascadia at all but ran a ton of miles in the Caldera. Hokas and Altra don't have much drop from heel to toe which causes me issues on trails. But surprisingly Hokas tend to work well for me on pavement as long as they are stiff.
I looked at the Calderas and they feel a lot like my Launches. How do they hold up and how’s the grip? They were comfy, but I was worried about the tread. Not much more than road running shoes.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jebmke wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:16 am Shoes are a very personal item in terms of fit. I doubt any random advice here would help.
This. I like Altras and have a personal connection (I know the founder), but they don't last. I'm too cheap to spend $100+ on something I'm likely to destroy really fast. I usually go to https://www.sierra.com/ (fortunate to have two brick and mortars locally) and try on whatever they have in the clearance section. Right now I am using Salomon speedcross ($30 at Sierra a while back), which are a bit too narrow and have more drop than I'd like, but otherwise work fine.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Sometimes REI can help; sometimes not.
Maybe check their website and read the reviews? https://www.rei.com/c/trail-running-shoes
Visit a store if possible. Sometimes the folks are knowledgeable and extremely helpful.
I hike in Moab 2 Waterproof-Wide-Width... Product Number: J06029W. They probably aren't for running. I wear the heels down in 2 years; I'm on my eighth pair. I see no reason to change.
I'll go into REI and start trying on shoes until I find the best available shoe and size. The fit has to be perfect; if not I'll pass. My size is 11 wide. I'll then ask for every 11 W in stock. Let's say five pairs of shoes in 11W; that's 10 shoes. I'll try them all on and keep the best 2 of the 10.
As long as that shoe works, I'll buy replacements from the vendor with availability or the lowest price. Lately, I've had to order directly from Merrell.

Merrell Trail Running Shoes: https://www.merrell.com/US/en/search?q=trail%20runners
Last edited by hudson on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:46 am
Tim_in_GA wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:22 am I've been happy with my Brooks Calderas. I test shoes for Brooks and didn't enjoy the Cascadia at all but ran a ton of miles in the Caldera. Hokas and Altra don't have much drop from heel to toe which causes me issues on trails. But surprisingly Hokas tend to work well for me on pavement as long as they are stiff.
I looked at the Calderas and they feel a lot like my Launches. How do they hold up and how’s the grip? They were comfy, but I was worried about the tread. Not much more than road running shoes.
I still have a pair of Calderas from 2015 that are holding up well. I don't run in them as much as a newer pair of the same shoe. Grip is enough for the type of trails I run - nothing technical.
discman017

Post by discman017 »

Everybody's different, but here's my advice as someone who runs 100 miles a month (mostly road, some trail). I have a pretty hard time finding other shoes that fit (cursed with a very wide toe box), but I find running shoes easy...

First, size up. I wear a 12 in other shoes but prefer a 13 in running shoes. They're lightweight and flexible, so it's no problem tightening the laces down to where you need them.

Second, replace them frequently. I find that the compression in some shoes packs down fairly quickly, so the shoes don't provide as much cushioning anymore. I track my shoes in Garmin's system and often get 300 miles from a pair, but occasionally feel like they need to be replaced after only 100. And it really is based on "feel" -- I feel like the internal support structure of the shoes breaks down before I see any significant visible evidence of wear. As far as durability, I've had good experiences with Saucony, Asics, and Brooks, but not as good with Under Armour.

Third, to support point #2, buy on sale. I shop Saucony's frequent online sales and my local shop's clearance sales, pay $30 to $40 a pair for shoes, and have five pairs lined up in my closet. It's a lot easier to throw a pair in the trash when it's time if you've paid $40 than if you paid $150.

Despite having odd-shaped feet, I find that if I size up and replace fairly aggressively, any quality running shoes work well. I just started on a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS (bought on clearance) and like them a lot after one 12-mile run.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

hudson wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:03 am Sometimes REI can help; sometimes not.
Maybe check their website and read the reviews? https://www.rei.com/c/trail-running-shoes
Visit a store if possible. Sometimes the folks are knowledgeable and extremely helpful.
I hike in Moab 2 Waterproof-Wide-Width... Product Number: J06029W. They probably aren't for running. I wear the heels down in 2 years; I'm on my eighth pair. I see no reason to change.
I'll go into REI and start trying on shoes until I find the best available shoe and size. The fit has to be perfect; if not I'll pass. My size is 11 wide. I'll then ask for every 11 W in stock. Let's say five pairs of shoes in 11W; that's 10 shoes. I'll try them all on and keep the best 2 of the 10.
As long as that shoe works, I'll buy replacements from the vendor with availability or the lowest price. Lately, I've had to order directly from Merrell.
+1. I was literally about to post a link to the REI website when I saw this post.

OP's screen name suggests they may reside in NYC, in which case they could visit the shop in Soho. The store also has a thing (small structure) with an incline to simulate how a shoe will perform on a hill.

When I called the toll-free number yesterday for product help with running shoes, the rep spent about an hour on the phone with me. (I would have spent less time, but she was so enthusiastic and interested to help me. And, I actually did learn some things about shoe fit and what to look for that should be helpful when buying shoes in the future.)

Still a couple of days left on REI's 4th of July sale. Fwiw, I found some good deals on running / trail shoes, including a pair of Altras - half the price I paid a few months ago.

REI membership (one-time fee) is not so expensive. The benefits are worth it (to me), and it lasts a lifetime.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Altra makes a dozen or so different models which are so dissimilar that just saying "Altras" means little. Since feet are so personal, I will tell you that I have personally used many different models of Altras and most of them do not work for me. However, the Altra Olympus 4 with heel inserts work well for me. Since the shoes are so-called zero-drop one can choose the drop that they like by the heel insert one uses. They have wider treads and are more cushiony than all the other Altras I've tried. They have megagrip Vibram for the tread which last longer than their other outsoles. I use them for running on concrete, trail running, backpacking, and everyday use. I'm on my 4th pair at the moment and really use no other shoe. Photos available upon request.

And if it was not clear, Altra Lone Peak, Timp, and Superior models do not work for me.

And good luck with your journey finding a good pair of shoes for yourself!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

I also use Salomon Speedcross for beach running 50 miles per week. With excellent (and expensive) insoles easily get six months of wear - usually more. But I only weigh 160 lbs and the beach is mostly sand. I'm on my fifth pair.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

livesoft wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:43 am Altra makes a dozen or so different models which are so dissimilar that just saying "Altras" means little. Since feet are so personal, I will tell you that I have personally used many different models of Altras and most of them do not work for me. However, the Altra Olympus 4 with heel inserts work well for me. Since the shoes are so-called zero-drop one can choose the drop that they like by the heel insert one uses. They have wider treads and are more cushiony than all the other Altras I've tried. They have megagrip Vibram for the tread which last longer than their other outsoles. I use them for running on concrete, trail running, backpacking, and everyday use. I'm on my 4th pair at the moment and really use no other shoe. Photos available upon request.

And if it was not clear, Altra Lone Peak, Timp, and Superior models do not work for me.

And good luck with your journey finding a good pair of shoes for yourself!
I've had pretty much every Altra shoe model at some point. Yes, they are all different, but none of them last. Altra King Mountain, which I purposely got to climb King's Peak, were the worst (durability wise, I did like them).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:05 pmI've had pretty much every Altra shoe model at some point. Yes, they are all different, but none of them last. Altra King Mountain, which I purposely got to climb King's Peak, were the worst (durability wise, I did like them).
Maybe some folks should be replacing their shoes more often than they currently do? https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... d%20joints.

OTOH, I don't want to replace my shoes every 10 weeks just because I run 50 miles a week. But I do tend to buy 2 pairs of shoes per year.
thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one »

i'm a longtime larger runner (~185lbs) who had a hip resurfacing 8 yrs ago.. i'd all but given up pain-free running until i came across the Hoka speedgoat.. i'm a bit teary-eyed at how much fun and pain-free these shoes have made my runs again! ;)
LBYM
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:12 am Looking for some new trail runners, but supply chain shortages are making things challenging...

I used Altras for hiking and trail, but as I put more miles in on pavement in traditional running shoes, the Altras feel worse on my feet.

Also looked at Hoka Speedgoat, but like almost every other Hoka I've tried, my toe touches the material on the upper just standing there, so I'm worried about blisters on longer runs.

Brooks Cascadia feel like concrete blocks and the Saucony Peregrine is way too narrow for me.

What are other trail runners using? Open to trying something new (assuming you can actually get it in stock :( )
I am long distance runner. I’ve used mostly Hoka brand. Have you tried besides buying shoes custom insoles? I do all the time , no discomfort whatsoever.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
TrailRunnerPNW

Post by TrailRunnerPNW »

La Sportiva - Bushido or Kaptiva - good for mtn running mixed terrain.
Salmon - Sense Ride - trail runner that I can use as cross over shoe to road running some days if I am running from home to a trailhead.
sorethumb

Post by sorethumb »

Altra Lone Peak 6.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I tried a lot of different well known shoes and I chose Saucony as my favorite brand. Best balance of firmness, support, and flexibility without rubbing or clenching too much in any single area. They also have great longevity. I also find them very comfortable, and I am picky about that. I have several pairs now. I have pretty large feet too, just FYI.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:12 am Brooks Cascadia feel like concrete blocks
The latest Cascadia 16s are odd and I agree with your description. Lots of user reviews (including mine) complaining about the same thing. You can still find Cascadia 15s online for a good price; it's a very different shoe than the current year model and is more in line with how the shoe model traditionally felt in prior years. I returned my 16s and got the 15 and have been happy with them.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

A big problem is that the fit and features of a given brand/model can completely change year to year. I ran over 600 miles of rugged trails in a pair of Peregrine 7s. Loved those shoes. I have about 250 miles on a pair of Peregrine 11s, and they're meh. (Narrower and longer than the 7s, stiffer rock plate, heel slippage that I can't get rid of regardless of how I lace them or which socks I wear.)

As a result, every time I need new shoes, it's an adventure where I pretty much have to start from scratch. You just have keep trying until you find something you like. Good luck.
Last edited by CFM300 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I am not actually a runner, but we both find trail runners to be great boat shoes. Mine are Merrill Trail Gloves. As others have noted, they have been updated since I bought my last pair, so I am not sure what comes next for me, but you might want to try some on. My issue is that they have put the tongue back into all of them, and I have a weirdly high arch that means some things cause me blisters on the top of my foot, and I am afraid the extra fabric of the tongue will have that effect.
egri

Post by egri »

I've used the Saucony Guide for several years without a problem.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

For running trail and road, I wear Brooks (several different models over the years but Adrenaline GTSis a good one), Saucony, and La Sportiva. All have been good. La Sportiva seem to wear the longest but Brooks fit me best. I'm kind of light for my height, 165 pounds, but these brands work for me.

Strongly agree with replacing every 350-400 miles. Worn out shoes are an invitation to injury.

For hiking on trails, I like Vasque.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

livesoft wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:13 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:05 pmI've had pretty much every Altra shoe model at some point. Yes, they are all different, but none of them last. Altra King Mountain, which I purposely got to climb King's Peak, were the worst (durability wise, I did like them).
Maybe some folks should be replacing their shoes more often than they currently do? https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... d%20joints.

OTOH, I don't want to replace my shoes every 10 weeks just because I run 50 miles a week. But I do tend to buy 2 pairs of shoes per year.
Sure, but I've probably didn't even get 100 miles out of the King Mountains. I have a pretty good idea of when to replaces shoes. With Altras specifically, I've had issues with the uppers well before the sole and the cushioning were showing any wear.
Bud

Post by Bud »

I use New Balance because they are easy to find in wide widths...

check joesnewbalanceoutlet.com

ALl the best.
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

New Balance Fresh Foam More Trail.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

NYCaviator wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:12 am Saucony Peregrine is way too narrow for me.
I commented on my experiences with Peregrines upthread, but wanted to add...

Peregrines are available in WIDE.
matti

Post by matti »

I ran with Altras for a few years, but the fit just wasn't right. Plus, the durability was horrible for me. After trying other brands and models, I found the Brooks Caldera 4 and it's the best shoe I've ever run in, by far. I use it for a mix of trails and roads, up to 110 mpw and runs up to 100k. I liked them so much that I bought about 8 pairs last year. I believe the Caldera 6 is coming out soon, but I don't know much about it except it is supposed to be a bit beefier and has a 6mm drop as opposed to 4mm drop on the Caldera 4. Once my stock of Caldera 4 is gone, I will buy the Caldera 6....hoping it is just as good, if not better than the 4.
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

If you want a wide toe box, you could try Topo Athletic. They are as wide as Altra, but they are not zero drop.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I have HOKA Speedgoats. I've run in Altra's too. It's really personal preference. Both I've had no trouble getting at REI.
Last edited by rockstar on Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
LearnsTheHardWay

Post by LearnsTheHardWay »

+1 on sizing up and +1 on the speedgoat. My Hokas are 1 size larger than my other shoes.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

As expected, just about every major well-known brand of trail runner shoe was mentioned in this thread. How to decide among the recommendations though? :)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:52 am As expected, just about every major well-known brand of trail runner shoe was mentioned in this thread. How to decide among the recommendations though? :)
Only three ways out of this morass.

One large shipment of shoes of various brands and a mass trial at home.
Continuous stream of shoes and returns until solved.
Go to a store.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
hudson

Post by hudson »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:52 am As expected, just about every major well-known brand of trail runner shoe was mentioned in this thread. How to decide among the recommendations though? :)
This discussion has helped me because I plan to try out trail running shoes to replace hiking boots. I've read that Appalachian Trail hikers are using running shoes. I'll likely go with something wide with Vibram soles. I first heard about Vibram from my scoutmaster in the early 60s. I haven't had issues with Vibram. My typical hike has steep downhills where heel traction is key. The trail tread lends itself to heel-first hiking as one can slide when it's dry, wet, or leafy. Foot landings on the front of the foot can lead to a fall.
So trail runners are my future.

If I had to buy shoes today, I'd start here: https://www.merrell.com/US/en/nova-2-go ... rs&start=1
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Last edited by mary1492 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

hudson wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:19 am
This discussion has helped me because .... So trail runners are my future.
I wouldn't buy a gore-tex shoe because once water gets in, then the shoes take a long time to dry out, if ever, while on the trail.
Altra Olympus 4:
Wide, check.
Vibram, check.
Not Gore-Tex, check.
Drain water well, check.

Ten seconds of video walking through the Little Missouri River: https://i.imgur.com/ldWIWR9.mp4

Of course, there are other such shoes.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:41 am
I wouldn't buy a gore-tex shoe because once water gets in, then the shoes take a long time to dry out, if ever, while on the trail.
This. You want something that drains. I have gore-tex snow boots, but would never consider it in my trail runners.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Oddly not much has been said about Nike the largest athletic shoe company of them all.

I just bought my first pair and haven’t worn them yet. I’m going to give the Pegasus Trail 3 a shot since I was looking for something more cushioned than the Altra Lone Peaks I’ve been wearing. I like the zero drop, but I’ve heard people say that it’s not a bad idea the work in a pair of more traditional heel to toe drop shoes periodically.

If they don’t work, it’s no big deal. They were half price at the Nike Outlet around the corner from my house.
Being wrong compounds forever.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

blackburnian wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:33 pm If you want a wide toe box, you could try Topo Athletic. They are as wide as Altra, but they are not zero drop.
I really like my Topo shoes as well. Wide toe box but snug enough in the mid-foot to keep me feeling secure. Currently love my MT-4 pair, as well as my Magnifly 4 pair for on road.
https://www.topoathletic.com/mens-mt-4?color=171
https://www.topoathletic.com/mens-magnifly-4?color=154

The first (few?) generations of their trail runners had alarmingly bad traction. Literally worse traction than almost any shoes I have owned, including dress shoes. They would slip on dry pavement. Good luck on rock, gravel, or anything wet.

The new generation has great Vibram rubber though. So now there's nothing I don't like.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
hudson

Post by hudson »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:41 am
Altra Olympus 4:
Wide, check.
Vibram, check.
Not Gore-Tex, check.
Drain water well, check.

Ten seconds of video walking through the Little Missouri River: https://i.imgur.com/ldWIWR9.mp4

Of course, there are other such shoes.
The Altra Olympus 4 looks good. The soles appear to be wide and it comes in wide sizes; that's what I'm looking for.
Goretex keeps my feet dry most of the time. If I'm going to be hiking over several days in wet conditions, I'll bring extra wool socks.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

And whaddayaknow, the newish Olympus 5 comes in 2 different GORE-TEXtm models. I have no experience with them.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:02 pm
Oddly not much has been said about Nike the largest athletic shoe company of them all.

I just bought my first pair and haven’t worn them yet. I’m going to give the Pegasus Trail 3 a shot since I was looking for something more cushioned than the Altra Lone Peaks I’ve been wearing. I like the zero drop, but I’ve heard people say that it’s not a bad idea the work in a pair of more traditional heel to toe drop shoes periodically.

If they don’t work, it’s no big deal. They were half price at the Nike Outlet around the corner from my house.
I have a weird thing against Nike, and it probably isn't fair. :sharebeer I think they have become more of a lifestyle/fashion company than a serious shoe company (even though shoes are their roots). I don't understand how they can make great shoes when they are busy making everything else under the sun from backpacks to fashion to underwear to Apple Watch collaborations. Plus, I once had a podiatrist say that Nikes are some of the worst shoes for foot health..
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Hoka Speedgoat 4's and Smartwool socks work for me. Here's a shoe finder site you might try: https://www.roadrunnersports.com/shoefinder
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:33 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:02 pm

I have a weird thing against Nike, and it probably isn't fair. :sharebeer I think they have become more of a lifestyle/fashion company than a serious shoe company (even though shoes are their roots). I don't understand how they can make great shoes when they are busy making everything else under the sun from backpacks to fashion to underwear to Apple Watch collaborations. Plus, I once had a podiatrist say that Nikes are some of the worst shoes for foot health..

Nike is a huge company. I have no doubt that they’re able to design a solid backpack in one department and a really top-notch trail running shoe in a different part of the building.

What you said is true. All major shoe brands are lifestyle companies. I’ve seen my wife wear Adidas products that are designed by Stella McCartney and I’m pretty sure when she designed them she wasn’t overly focused on performance as much as fashion. For those items, either is my wife.

I believe companies as well as consumers can be trusted to differentiate fashion forward and legacy gear from cutting-edge technical gear. Many of the greatest athletes in the world wear the exact same Nikes we can buy right of the shelf. Even if they’re paid to do it, and they likely are, do you think they’d settle for an inferior critical piece of equipment that’s necessary to excel in their chosen field?
Being wrong compounds forever.
librarianaire

Post by librarianaire »

I’ve been running in Luna sandals for about 10 years: https://lunasandals.com/

With Injinji socks, the weather doesn’t matter, and I also like to wear them without socks. I’m not especially young (now 52), and I’ve had fewer injuries with the Lunas than with any other shoe I used previously. They were what I wore for my lone marathon, and they’re the least expensive shoe, per mile run, I’ve ever found, because they’re so durable.

I realize they’re not for everyone, and I feel fortunate. For me, as long as Luna stays in business, running shoes are a solved problem.
“Our own experience provides the basic material for our imagination, whose range is therefore limited.” Thomas Nagel, What is it like to be a bat?
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

I like the Nike Terra Kiger for trail running if it isn’t highly technical. I have a competitive running background though and can’t stand Altras so I might not be the best source for someone who likes them.

As far as Nike being a lifestyle brand not a running brand: as a poster above mentioned, they’re both. Just a few years ago runners sponsored by other brands were trying to get out of their contracts just so they could wear the new supershoes without compensation. So it’s definitely a company that can produce serious running shoes. Trail has never really been a priority for them but I’ve always liked the Terra Kiger and Wildhorse.
LaurenRose

Post by LaurenRose »

Wondering what the OP ending up going with if you don't mind sharing?

Thinking of making a drive to Dick's Sporting Goods and it's not close by, unfortunately.