Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
shunkman

Re: Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Post by shunkman »

Has anyone figured out how to change or cancel TSP periodic payments using the "upgraded" system?
HyperBoggle

Post by HyperBoggle »

Joe Public wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:52 pm I created a new account this evening. It probably took less than 10 minutes. The new website is simultaneously busy and bereft of useful information, and I much prefer the basic, compact simplicity of the old one. That said, I quickly found my balance and how to change allocations, so the essentials seem to be there (for an accumulator, at least).
Where are you finding balances? I only see my Roth and Traditional balances COMBINED. I track them separately and cannot figure out how to view each fund's balance by Roth or Traditional!
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

HyperBoggle wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:52 pm
Joe Public wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:52 pm I created a new account this evening. It probably took less than 10 minutes. The new website is simultaneously busy and bereft of useful information, and I much prefer the basic, compact simplicity of the old one. That said, I quickly found my balance and how to change allocations, so the essentials seem to be there (for an accumulator, at least).
Where are you finding balances? I only see my Roth and Traditional balances COMBINED. I track them separately and cannot figure out how to view each fund's balance by Roth or Traditional!
1. On the Savings & Retirement menu at the top, choose "Contributions"
2. Under "Contribution Balances" expand the "Details" section

This will show your your exact Traditional and Roth balances. The percentages are applied to your entire account pro rata, so you can calculate the exact amounts for each fund, if you wish.
driloem

Post by driloem »

Agree with others that the UI is a big bust - lots of fluff without any utility. At least the old version was basic and you could get to what you wanted easily. Plus it looks unfinished as not all the information has been moved over. And there will be 2 Q2 statements - one till 5/26 and the other till 6/30. They couldn't consolidate? Come on - I may have to pull out my calculator!
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

Ketawa wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:08 pm

This will show your your exact Traditional and Roth balances. The percentages are applied to your entire account pro rata, so you can calculate the exact amounts for each fund, if you wish.
If you want to calculate share price times # of shares = value yourself for each fund and each account type (Roth and Traditional) there's no way to do that. They are no longer providing a breakout of how many shares there are for each fund in each account type, which in effect means there's no way to reconcile a statement.

Some of the complaints are growing pains and will get resolved within a few weeks or months. Above bothers me a lot.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

quietseas wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:44 pm

If you want to calculate share price times # of shares = value yourself for each fund and each account type (Roth and Traditional) there's no way to do that. They are no longer providing a breakout of how many shares there are for each fund in each account type, which in effect means there's no way to reconcile a statement.

Some of the complaints are growing pains and will get resolved within a few weeks or months. Above bothers me a lot.
Take the percentages of Traditional and Roth, and multiply them by the total number of shares or value in each fund, and you will know the exact amount of each fund in each type of account. If you want, you can calculate the percentages using the Traditional and Roth balances so the percentages aren't rounded to the nearest integers.

This is the exact process the TSP used in the past to display Traditional and Roth balances in each fund. The only information that is needed is the overall account percentage in each fund, and the overall split between Traditional and Roth. The specific amount in each fund was determined by these inputs.

Personally, I have been doing this for years and have never needed the TSP to calculate it for me. I update the percentages of Traditional and Roth when my contributions hit my account, and my asset allocation spreadsheet takes care of the rest. If you update your calculations more often than once a month, it's less work, since you only have to make one entry for each TSP fund.

The MFW would probably make what you ask impossible anyway, since the TSP login doesn't know the holdings within the MFW, only the total balance.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

Ketawa wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:21 pm

Take the percentages of Traditional and Roth, and multiply them by the total number of shares or value in each fund, and you will know the exact amount of each fund in each type of account. If you want, you can calculate the percentages using the Traditional and Roth balances so the percentages aren't rounded to the nearest integers.

This is the exact process the TSP used in the past to display Traditional and Roth balances in each fund. The only information that is needed is the overall account percentage in each fund, and the overall split between Traditional and Roth. The specific amount in each fund was determined by these inputs.

Personally, I have been doing this for years and have never needed the TSP to calculate it for me. I update the percentages of Traditional and Roth when my contributions hit my account, and my asset allocation spreadsheet takes care of the rest. If you update your calculations more often than once a month, it's less work, since you only have to make one entry for each TSP fund.

The MFW would probably make what you ask impossible anyway, since the TSP login doesn't know the holdings within the MFW, only the total balance.
Thanks, I think we are talking past each other. I have used Quicken for 25+ years, I know what I need to do but don't like it. Another reason to close out my TSP account shortly after I retire and can rollover everything to a Traditional IRA and a Roth IRA account. Any benefits of G Fund are fast being outweighed by the growing list of negatives.
RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc »

Ketawa wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:21 pm

That is NOT how the old TSP website displayed the funds - they actually reported the funds in Roth and Traditional.

For example, I do not have an even distribution of funds between my Roth and Traditional balances. Early in my career, I contributed to traditional TSP and only invested that in fixed income securities (G and F funds); equities were elsewhere and this was tax efficient for me. However, recently I also contribute to Roth TSP and only put that into C and S funds. I was able to creatively put fixed income into traditional and equities into Roth. Therefore, your calculation method would not allow me to figure out the fund balances between the Roth and Traditional TSPs.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

RamblinDoc wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:41 pm That is NOT how the old TSP website displayed the funds - they actually reported the funds in Roth and Traditional.

For example, I do not have an even distribution of funds between my Roth and Traditional balances. Early in my career, I contributed to traditional TSP and only invested that in fixed income securities (G and F funds); equities were elsewhere and this was tax efficient for me. However, recently I also contribute to Roth TSP and only put that into C and S funds. I was able to creatively put fixed income into traditional and equities into Roth. Therefore, your calculation method would not allow me to figure out the fund balances between the Roth and Traditional TSPs.
In some tables, the balances were reported separately. However, the underlying math was as I described earlier. This has been a longstanding criticism of the TSP; it was and is impossible to hold different allocations between Traditional and Roth.

You are welcome to post evidence that disproves this. The TSP quarterly statements provided breakdowns of Traditional and Roth balances for every interfund transfer. I examined my past quarterly TSP statements, and every time I made an interfund transfer, the proportions between Traditional and Roth for every fund were exactly the same, despite my contributions varying between funds all the time.

The quarterly statement also broke down contributions into Traditional and Roth balances, but this information was effectively meaningless. If you execute an interfund transfer at any point, it is clear that the proportions between Traditional and Roth balances are the same across funds. The Traditional vs Roth split across funds would not be exactly the same in an interfund transfer if it was possible to hold contributions separately in a different allocation from the existing TSP account.
AF-Veteran

Post by AF-Veteran »

MnD wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:15 pm
USAFperio wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:00 pm Additionally, since TSP "upgraded" their site, my Personal Capital dashboard has never been able to receive my TSP account info. It (Personal Capital) continually asks for my username/password, but cannot fetch the data. I'm assuming others are in the same boat, although if anyone has cracked that nut successfully, I'm curious to hear how you succeeded. Thank you kindly.
I think it's still dead for everyone using PC to auto-update.
PC has a note dated 6/2/22 under support and said it was down and they will update the support note when things change.
No updates yet.
According to a new update on PC's site (https://support.personalcapital.com/hc/ ... 6-30-2022-), their engineers are still working this issue, but noted its "complex". Yet on 2 July, after a couple of attempts I was able to finally have PC sync with my TSP account and pull down the latest holdings, prices and balance.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

I actually just got a customer satisfaction survey on the new web site. I responded appropriately, with non-intuitive and random placement of web site functions and greater co-mingling of Roth and Traditional core fund holdings (both were handled better on the old site).
OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos »

I just sat on hold for 2 hours 15 minutes. :annoyed In hopes that my pain can lead to some good...

For those looking for previous account statements, you can request them by calling the Thriftline 800-number. After account verification, they will submit a request to have them mailed or sent to your account electronically...whichever your preference is set to.

You can also submit the request via email, via the Thriftline email address.

I'll report back if/when they are delivered.
RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc »

Ketawa wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:18 am
RamblinDoc wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:41 pm That is NOT how the old TSP website displayed the funds - they actually reported the funds in Roth and Traditional.

In some tables, the balances were reported separately. However, the underlying math was as I described earlier. This has been a longstanding criticism of the TSP; it was and is impossible to hold different allocations between Traditional and Roth.

You are welcome to post evidence that disproves this. The TSP quarterly statements provided breakdowns of Traditional and Roth balances for every interfund transfer. I examined my past quarterly TSP statements, and every time I made an interfund transfer, the proportions between Traditional and Roth for every fund were exactly the same, despite my contributions varying between funds all the time.

The quarterly statement also broke down contributions into Traditional and Roth balances, but this information was effectively meaningless. If you execute an interfund transfer at any point, it is clear that the proportions between Traditional and Roth balances are the same across funds. The Traditional vs Roth split across funds would not be exactly the same in an interfund transfer if it was possible to hold contributions separately in a different allocation from the existing TSP account.
We are talking about two different things.

Yes, Interfund transfers distributed funds between traditional and Roth money in proportion on their balances. Same with withdrawals. This was a major weakness of the TSP.

However, I am frustrated that I cannot see the exact fund balance within the respective Roth and traditional money in the new website. In my account, the funds are not evenly distributed. I have never made an Interfund transfer. At various stages in my life, I contributed as follows:

- only to Traditional (a mix of C, S, I and F funds)
- 50:50 Traditional:Roth (same funds)
- only traditional (F & G)
- only Roth (CSI)

Thus I do not have the funds evenly distributed and need to see them itemized on the website. They did this in the past.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

RamblinDoc wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:57 am
Ketawa wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:18 am In some tables, the balances were reported separately. However, the underlying math was as I described earlier. This has been a longstanding criticism of the TSP; it was and is impossible to hold different allocations between Traditional and Roth.

Yes, Interfund transfers distributed funds between traditional and Roth money in proportion on their balances. Same with withdrawals. This was a major weakness of the TSP.

However, I am frustrated that I cannot see the exact fund balance within the respective Roth and traditional money in the new website. In my account, the funds are not evenly distributed. I have never made an Interfund transfer. At various stages in my life, I contributed as follows:

- only Roth (CSI)

Thus I do not have the funds evenly distributed and need to see them itemized on the website. They did this in the past.
I understand that you think this is how it works. However, the underlined part above is what is important. Because the allocations are always equal between Roth and Traditional accounts, they will also appear equal any time an interfund transfer is executed, and they were equal before executing the interfund transfer. There was no clever way to get around the equal allocations in the TSP.

I have Traditional and Roth balances in my TSP. At times, my contributions were 100% to a particular fund (S, I, or G) in my Traditional account. After this contribution was executed, the proportions between Traditional and Roth were still exactly the same between funds when I did an interfund transfer (i.e. comparing S vs I vs G), even though the contribution was only to 1 fund and only to the Traditional balance. Let's say my account looked like this:

$25K in Traditional G Fund
$25K in Roth G Fund
$25K in Traditional S Fund
$25K in Roth S Fund

I contribute $10K in a month to my Traditional account and it is 100% to G Fund. Then, I execute an interfund transfer back to 50/50 between the G Fund and the S Fund.

After contribution, my account is:
$32.7K in Traditional G Fund
$27.3K in Roth G Fund
$27.3K in Traditional S Fund
$22.7K in Roth S Fund

After rebalancing, my account is:
$30K in Traditional G Fund
$25K in Roth G Fund
$30K in Traditional S Fund
$25K in Roth S Fund

And the key information is this, which is the information actually shown on the TSP quarterly statement or that used to be on the web site for any interfund transfer:

$2.73K is the change in Traditional G Fund
$2.27K is the change in Roth G Fund
-$2.73K is the change in Traditional S Fund
-$2.27K is the change in Roth S Fund

2.73 / 5 = 60 / 110 (this compares the Traditional % of the change for each fund vs the overall % in Traditional)
2.27 / 5 = 50 / 110 (this compares the Roth % of the change for each fund vs the overall % in Roth)

These percentages will not be equal if contributions are held separately from existing balances. If the way that you think this works is accurate, then the TSP is lying on the quarterly statements whenever it reports the change in balances for an interfund transfer.

If you check your old TSP quarterly statements, you will see that the ending balance for each fund is not reported separately for Traditional and Roth. For individual funds, only the total in each fund is reported. The Traditional and Roth balances are only reported at the total account level. If you can provide evidence that the website actually used to show your balances in each fund for Traditional and Roth, and the percentages were different, you are welcome to do so.

If it worked the way you thought, it would be:

After contribution:
$35K in Traditional G Fund
$25K in Roth G Fund
$25K in Roth S Fund

After rebalancing:
$25K in Roth G Fund
$25K in Roth S Fund

-$5K is the change in Traditional G Fund
$0 is the change in Roth G Fund
$5K is the change in Traditional S Fund
$0 is the change in Roth S Fund

5 / 5 does not equal 60 / 110
0 / 5 does not equal 50 / 110
workingfornow

Post by workingfornow »

Has anyone tried to fill out the beneficiary form on-line? The one I had on file did not transfer over to the new system. I want to name a testamentary trust as contingent beneficiary. It insists on the date the trust was established. When I previously submitted using the paper forms I left that blank, because the trust won’t be established until I die, and I obviously don’t know when that is. The online form doesn’t have the option to leave the date fields blank, and defaults to January 1 1800. Any suggestions?
delamer

Post by delamer »

workingfornow wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:03 pm Has anyone tried to fill out the beneficiary form on-line? The one I had on file did not transfer over to the new system. I want to name a testamentary trust as contingent beneficiary. It insists on the date the trust was established. When I previously submitted using the paper forms I left that blank, because the trust won’t be established until I die, and I obviously don’t know when that is. The online form doesn’t have the option to leave the date fields blank, and defaults to January 1 1800. Any suggestions?
My interpretation of my testamentary trust is that it was established when my will was signed but not funded until I die.

So I used the signature date.

But I’m not a lawyer.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

Has anyone figured out how to change two-factor authentication methods? My phone reset itself to factory defaults and I lost the TSP two-factor capability in Okta Verify. I can't find the option to modify or delete two factor authentication methods. I already have SMS and security questions enabled, so I can work with those, but I prefer the more secure method of an authentication app, so I'd like to delete the existing one and add it again. Simple, you'd think, but the new site doesn't have that option.
RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc »

Ketawa wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:17 am
RamblinDoc wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:57 am
Ketawa wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:18 am In some tables, the balances were reported separately. However, the underlying math was as I described earlier. This has been a longstanding criticism of the TSP; it was and is impossible to hold different allocations between Traditional and Roth.

- only Roth (CSI)

I understand that you think this is how it works. However, the underlined part above is what is important. Because the allocations are always equal between Roth and Traditional accounts, they will also appear equal any time an interfund transfer is executed, and they were equal before executing the interfund transfer. There was no clever way to get around the equal allocations in the TSP.

I have Traditional and Roth balances in my TSP. At times, my contributions were 100% to a particular fund (S, I, or G) in my Traditional account. After this contribution was executed, the proportions between Traditional and Roth were still exactly the same between funds when I did an interfund transfer (i.e. comparing S vs I vs G), even though the contribution was only to 1 fund and only to the Traditional balance. Let's say my account looked like this:

$25K in Traditional G Fund
$25K in Roth G Fund
$25K in Roth S Fund

I contribute $10K in a month to my Traditional account and it is 100% to G Fund. Then, I execute an interfund transfer back to 50/50 between the G Fund and the S Fund.

After contribution, my account is:
$32.7K in Traditional G Fund
$27.3K in Roth G Fund
$27.3K in Traditional S Fund
$22.7K in Roth S Fund

After rebalancing, my account is:
$25K in Roth G Fund
$25K in Roth S Fund

And the key information is this, which is the information actually shown on the TSP quarterly statement or that used to be on the web site for any interfund transfer:

$2.73K is the change in Traditional G Fund
$2.27K is the change in Roth G Fund
-$2.73K is the change in Traditional S Fund
-$2.27K is the change in Roth S Fund

2.73 / 5 = 60 / 110 (this compares the Traditional % of the change for each fund vs the overall % in Traditional)
2.27 / 5 = 50 / 110 (this compares the Roth % of the change for each fund vs the overall % in Roth)

These percentages will not be equal if contributions are held separately from existing balances. If the way that you think this works is accurate, then the TSP is lying on the quarterly statements whenever it reports the change in balances for an interfund transfer.

If you check your old TSP quarterly statements, you will see that the ending balance for each fund is not reported separately for Traditional and Roth. For individual funds, only the total in each fund is reported. The Traditional and Roth balances are only reported at the total account level. If you can provide evidence that the website actually used to show your balances in each fund for Traditional and Roth, and the percentages were different, you are welcome to do so.

If it worked the way you thought, it would be:

After contribution:
$35K in Traditional G Fund
$25K in Roth G Fund
$25K in Roth S Fund

After rebalancing:
$25K in Roth G Fund
$25K in Roth S Fund

-$5K is the change in Traditional G Fund
$0 is the change in Roth G Fund
$5K is the change in Traditional S Fund
$0 is the change in Roth S Fund

5 / 5 does not equal 60 / 110
0 / 5 does not equal 50 / 110
Perhaps that is your reality because you seem to rebalance - ie do Interfund transfers. This should make the funds evenly distribute between Roth and Traditional balances. In that case I agree with your situation.

As I mentioned earlier, I have Never performed an Interfund transfer. In fact, I avoided this to prevent the funds from being evenly distributed. I tried to be as tax efficient as possible. I have kept track of my funds and account balances for many years - even created my own financial tracking software to display things for my spouse and my “monthly finance meetings” (exciting times). This required that I manually pull TSP data - which was available on their old website. (Middle tab on their ‘fund details’ page)

I agree - the quarterly statements had less details. But their website had the details I miss. I’m not trying to convince you otherwise. Glad that you didn’t need this.
Blues

Post by Blues »

deskjockey wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:25 pm Has anyone figured out how to change two-factor authentication methods? My phone reset itself to factory defaults and I lost the TSP two-factor capability in Okta Verify. I can't find the option to modify or delete two factor authentication methods. I already have SMS and security questions enabled, so I can work with those, but I prefer the more secure method of an authentication app, so I'd like to delete the existing one and add it again. Simple, you'd think, but the new site doesn't have that option.
I'd like to do it as well, now that I know that Authy works with it. But I'm wondering if I'd trust the system to get it right, if the option were available...rather than leave well enough alone.

Great that this is what it has come to. :oops:
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

Blues wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:12 pm
deskjockey wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:25 pm Has anyone figured out how to change two-factor authentication methods? My phone reset itself to factory defaults and I lost the TSP two-factor capability in Okta Verify. I can't find the option to modify or delete two factor authentication methods. I already have SMS and security questions enabled, so I can work with those, but I prefer the more secure method of an authentication app, so I'd like to delete the existing one and add it again. Simple, you'd think, but the new site doesn't have that option.
I'd like to do it as well, now that I know that Authy works with it. But I'm wondering if I'd trust the system to get it right, if the option were available...rather than leave well enough alone.

OK, I figured out how to do it. You have sign into a completely separate "account management" account. There is no link to it anywhere in your TSP account page because, well, the whole thing is a flaming dumpster fire. You have to go here instead: https://oam.tsp.gov/Home/
Once you sign in to your account management account (you can't make this stuff up) using the same credentials as your regular TSP account, you can, after clicking several times on poorly named options, get to a page that shows you what you have set up, including a security image that I do not recall ever selecting (because I didn't!). You can then edit that page, delete the existing Okla link and create a new one.
nps

Post by nps »

workingfornow wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:03 pm Has anyone tried to fill out the beneficiary form on-line? The one I had on file did not transfer over to the new system. I want to name a testamentary trust as contingent beneficiary. It insists on the date the trust was established. When I previously submitted using the paper forms I left that blank, because the trust won’t be established until I die, and I obviously don’t know when that is. The online form doesn’t have the option to leave the date fields blank, and defaults to January 1 1800. Any suggestions?
Can you leave the year blank at least?
Blues

Post by Blues »

deskjockey wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:17 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:12 pm

OK, I figured out how to do it. You have sign into a completely separate "account management" account. There is no link to it anywhere in your TSP account page because, well, the whole thing is a flaming dumpster fire. You have to go here instead: https://oam.tsp.gov/Home/
Once you sign in to your account management account (you can't make this stuff up) using the same credentials as your regular TSP account, you can, after clicking several times on poorly named options, get to a page that shows you what you have set up, including a security image that I do not recall ever selecting (because I didn't!). You can then edit that page, delete the existing Okla link and create a new one.
I don't know that I have the intestinal fortitude...
workingfornow

Post by workingfornow »

nps wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:14 pm
Can you leave the year blank at least?
Nope…can’t leave it blank. I guess I’ll go with the date I signed my will and hope for the best.
Hiker-Biker

OKTA Verify Authenticator App Re: Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Anyone know how this works? I set it up; however, I have not had to use it to log in even though I setup the authenticator app. I have it open when i I log in; however, there is nothing to be done like entering a code given by the Google Authenticator app.
Ketawa

Re: OKTA Verify Authenticator App Re: Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Post by Ketawa »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:09 pm Anyone know how this works? I set it up; however, I have not had to use it to log in even though I setup the authenticator app. I have it open when i I log in; however, there is nothing to be done like entering a code given by the Google Authenticator app.
When you log in, there is a down arrow next to the default MFA option. Click it, and you should see an option called "Okta Verify". If you select it, you will receive a push notification on your phone.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to set the default MFA option at this time. You can go to https://login.tsp.gov/ to manage your MFA options.

I had SMS, email, and Okta Verify enabled, and it defaulted to SMS, immediately sending a code. If I remove SMS, it defaults to email, and waits for a confirmation before sending the code. This is all very frustrating. I'd love to default to Okta Verify so I could simply pick up my phone and approve the login, rather than have to copy/paste a code every time. I might make do with having to select Okta Verify from the list every time, and disabling SMS as an option. I'm wary of having Okta as the only option in case I lose my phone.
Hiker-Biker

Re: OKTA Verify Authenticator App Re: Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Ketawa wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:44 pm
Hiker-Biker wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:09 pm Anyone know how this works? I set it up; however, I have not had to use it to log in even though I setup the authenticator app. I have it open when i I log in; however, there is nothing to be done like entering a code given by the Google Authenticator app.
When you log in, there is a down arrow next to the default MFA option. Click it, and you should see an option called "Okta Verify". If you select it, you will receive a push notification on your phone.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to set the default MFA option at this time. You can go to https://login.tsp.gov/ to manage your MFA options.

I had SMS, email, and Okta Verify enabled, and it defaulted to SMS, immediately sending a code. If I remove SMS, it defaults to email, and waits for a confirmation before sending the code. This is all very frustrating. I'd love to default to Okta Verify so I could simply pick up my phone and approve the login, rather than have to copy/paste a code every time. I might make do with having to select Okta Verify from the list every time, and disabling SMS as an option. I'm wary of having Okta as the only option in case I lose my phone.
Thanks!
user9532

Post by user9532 »

Is the share price history prior to April 25, 2022 available anywhere on the TSP site?
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

user9532 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:24 pm Is the share price history prior to April 25, 2022 available anywhere on the TSP site?
No, but try here: https://www.tspdatacenter.com/daily-share-prices/
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

Hello, is anyone else having issues opening the pdf file in the secure mailbox. When I request a statement it goes to my secure mailbox , but when I click on the link it won’t open. I downloaded acrobat reader and that was no help. I am doing this on my iPad as I have no PC. I even tried through the TSP app I downloaded.
Thanks, Texgal
travelogue

Post by travelogue »

Just dropped by to vent. New TSP site is a disaster. Old one was perfectly serviceable and got you to the key information quickly and efficiently. This transition was a major blunder.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Texgal17 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:23 am Hello, is anyone else having issues opening the pdf file in the secure mailbox. When I request a statement it goes to my secure mailbox , but when I click on the link it won’t open. I downloaded acrobat reader and that was no help. I am doing this on my iPad as I have no PC. I even tried through the TSP app I downloaded.
Thanks, Texgal
Do you have a pop-up blocker running? That's what stopped me until I noticed the little sliver of a window appear, and selected the option to allow it to launch the pop-up. Then I was able to download and open my PDF.
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

My TSP says “Pending Beneficiary” then lists my spouse correctly. But it shows nothing next to “Beneficiary.” I’m hoping there is nothing I need to do and my spouse will eventually move from being “Pending Beneficiary” to “Beneficiary.”
delamer

Post by delamer »

I finally created my new account tonight. I allowed pop-up blockers and disabled the auto-address-fill in my browser (Firefox), as recommended in earlier posts.

I had no problems creating my new account. I used my mobile phone number to get the text.

The only issue is that while my primary beneficiary transferrred over, my contingent beneficiaries did not. Or at least they aren’t showing up. (They are two testamentary trusts created in 2014.). Several other posters mentioned this too. I’m going to ask a friend to be my online witness to add the contingents if they aren’t listed by later this week.

As far as the new design goes, I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. Everyone has different preferences for what is important for them to find easily, I suppose. But I didn’t find it hard to navigate to what I needed. Probably 90% of the time I just going to the website to grab the latest share prices. Another 5% is to double-check my share balances and the final 5% is to do rebalancing.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

Weathering wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:50 pm My TSP says “Pending Beneficiary” then lists my spouse correctly. But it shows nothing next to “Beneficiary.” I’m hoping there is nothing I need to do and my spouse will eventually move from being “Pending Beneficiary” to “Beneficiary.”
When did you last make a change? I would click through to the beneficiary page and check to see if they are missing data, especially if you set up her as the beneficiary years ago based off the old TSP-3 form that was filled out with block letters. I think part of the problem is that there were a lot of errors and mis-scans resulting from that form which was used for 20 years too long and now they are trying to digitize all of this data correctly rather than having staff go back and try to decipher them when needed.

It seems to me getting this straightened out now is the best thing you can do to help your heirs avoid unnecessary bureaucracy or delays. I want to leave my affairs as tidy as possible for my heirs.
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

quietseas wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:36 am
Weathering wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:50 pm My TSP says “Pending Beneficiary” then lists my spouse correctly. But it shows nothing next to “Beneficiary.” I’m hoping there is nothing I need to do and my spouse will eventually move from being “Pending Beneficiary” to “Beneficiary.”
When did you last make a change? I would click through to the beneficiary page and check to see if they are missing data, especially if you set up her as the beneficiary years ago based off the old TSP-3 form that was filled out with block letters. I think part of the problem is that there were a lot of errors and mis-scans resulting from that form which was used for 20 years too long and now they are trying to digitize all of this data correctly rather than having staff go back and try to decipher them when needed.

It seems to me getting this straightened out now is the best thing you can do to help your heirs avoid unnecessary bureaucracy or delays. I want to leave my affairs as tidy as possible for my heirs.
Thank you. I'll give myself a calendar reminder to check it in a week and see what I need to do to have "pending beneficiary" become "beneficiary."
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

I was careful and had no trouble setting up a new TSP login. However, as expected the new website is terrible -- have to drill down to find the details on shares and prices.

More importantly, the beneficiary info is all gone. Even to re-add my wife as primary beneficiary requires a witness.

I was thinking of transferring an old 401k (currently at Fidelity) to TSP for consolidation and because the TSP G Fund rate is currently much better than the Stable-Value Fund in the 401k. However, the new TSP website is such a pain that I am rethinking this.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
Gr00V

Post by Gr00V »

Can someone, anyone please tell me how to change my login authentication from text to Authy. I tried to setup with Okta and it was a disaster. Called Thriftline - of course no help. Can’t find anyplace in site to do this. One poster said it can be done with Authy but how/where do you get code to enter manually? New configuration is terrible. Cannot believe how lame this is!!
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Gr00V wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:44 pm Can someone, anyone please tell me how to change my login authentication from text to Authy. I tried to setup with Okta and it was a disaster. Called Thriftline - of course no help. Can’t find anyplace in site to do this. One poster said it can be done with Authy but how/where do you get code to enter manually? New configuration is terrible. Cannot believe how lame this is!!
You can't use Authy. The options are Okta Verify, SMS, voice call, email, and security questions. You can change them at https://login.tsp.gov/.

Edit: this person claims they were able to use Authy, but I'm skeptical. The Okta login uses push notifications, not TOTP codes, and I doubt that Authy and Okta implement push notifications in the same way. I can't modify my profile to test right now; there is a message saying "IMPORTANT: Okta is experiencing an issue that we're working to resolve. You can still sign-in to your applications, but you can't make changes to your profile until the issue is resolved."
nilber wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:09 pm The good news is that you can use Authy. Just tell it you want to enter the code manually, input in the new manual account screen on Authy, and boom, authentication using Authy. No Okta required. Just did that with my account with no issues.
OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos »

OrderAndChaos wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 am I just sat on hold for 2 hours 15 minutes. :annoyed In hopes that my pain can lead to some good...

For those looking for previous account statements, you can request them by calling the Thriftline 800-number. After account verification, they will submit a request to have them mailed or sent to your account electronically...whichever your preference is set to.

After another three calls and well over an hour on the phone with TSP, the answer is pretty much "Nope. We don't care."

The agent in the "Form Statement Department" that I was finally transferred to today took my information and said she would submit a request to have the statements added to my account. She then asked me why I needed them, as the agents are being asked to document the reason. I (perhaps slightly unprofessionally) said that because I expected a financial institution with hundreds of billions of dollars under management to be able to provide quarterly statements detailing the transactions within my retirement account.

She said that she couldn't give me an estimate as to when I would receive a response. I then mentioned I had made the same request on 5 July. She looked at that entry in their system and said that it had been closed out on 12 July with a note that said something to the effect of "participant statements prior to May 26 2022 are not available." Despite this request being closed for over two weeks, I was not notified.

Having spent 26 years in government service, I should have known that rule #1 of a system "upgrade" is to backup all your data yourself.

:annoyed
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

FedGuy wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:22 pm
Texgal17 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:23 am Hello, is anyone else having issues opening the pdf file in the secure mailbox. When I request a statement it goes to my secure mailbox , but when I click on the link it won’t open. I downloaded acrobat reader and that was no help. I am doing this on my iPad as I have no PC. I even tried through the TSP app I downloaded.
Thanks, Texgal
Do you have a pop-up blocker running? That's what stopped me until I noticed the little sliver of a window appear, and selected the option to allow it to launch the pop-up. Then I was able to download and open my PDF.
Just saw your reply, and no it wasn’t that. I downloaded the google chrome app and I was able to open the pdf’s from the app.
Thanks!
Texgal
delamer

Post by delamer »

delamer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:28 pm I finally created my new account tonight. I allowed pop-up blockers and disabled the auto-address-fill in my browser (Firefox), as recommended in earlier posts.

I had no problems creating my new account. I used my mobile phone number to get the text.

The only issue is that while my primary beneficiary transferrred over, my contingent beneficiaries did not. Or at least they aren’t showing up. (They are two testamentary trusts created in 2014.). Several other posters mentioned this too. I’m going to ask a friend to be my online witness to add the contingents if they aren’t listed by later this week.

As far as the new design goes, I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. Everyone has different preferences for what is important for them to find easily, I suppose. But I didn’t find it hard to navigate to what I needed. Probably 90% of the time I just going to the website to grab the latest share prices. Another 5% is to double-check my share balances and the final 5% is to do rebalancing.
Update —

I was able to add contingent beneficiaries online using my frirnd as an e-witness.

The trust creation for those beneficiaries is dated as of the day my will was signed. So the trusts were set up then, but won’t be funded until/unless the inheritance happens.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

delamer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:25 pm
delamer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:28 pm I finally created my new account tonight. I allowed pop-up blockers and disabled the auto-address-fill in my browser (Firefox), as recommended in earlier posts.

Update —

I was able to add contingent beneficiaries online using my frirnd as an e-witness.

The trust creation for those beneficiaries is dated as of the day my will was signed. So the trusts were set up then, but won’t be funded until/unless the inheritance happens.
I didn't complete the process of adding my trust (revocable living trust) as a contingent beneficiary because I didn't have a person nearby to act as a witness. So, I cancelled my attempt to add the trust as a contingent beneficiary, but after the cancellation, my trust is listed online in TSP under my wife's information as Primary Beneficiary as: "Not a Beneficiary (My Trust) Birth Date (N/A) Benefit % (0)

I was intending to call up TSP to see what's going on here. Is your trust listed like mine above? I stopped the process at the witness field for adding my trust -- what exactly is required for an "e-witness"?
delamer

Post by delamer »

ChrisC wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:15 pm
delamer wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:25 pm

Update —

I didn't complete the process of adding my trust (revocable living trust) as a contingent beneficiary because I didn't have a person nearby to act as a witness. So, I cancelled my attempt to add the trust as a contingent beneficiary, but after the cancellation, my trust is listed online in TSP under my wife's information as Primary Beneficiary as: "Not a Beneficiary (My Trust) Birth Date (N/A) Benefit % (0)

I was intending to call up TSP to see what's going on here. Is your trust listed like mine above? I stopped the process at the witness field for adding my trust -- what exactly is required for an "e-witness"?
My trusts are testamentary trusts for my adult children, not revocable living trusts. So I don’t know if your situation or listing would be comparable.

My witness was a friend who is not a beneficiary (requirement). She received an e-mail that allowed her to do an electronic signature. I’d just ask someone you know in advance if they’d be willing to witness. It only took my friend a few minutes to do her signature. She saw the beneficiary information that she was attesting to but nothing else about my account.
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

OrderAndChaos wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:17 pm
OrderAndChaos wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 am I just sat on hold for 2 hours 15 minutes. :annoyed In hopes that my pain can lead to some good...

After another three calls and well over an hour on the phone with TSP, the answer is pretty much "Nope. We don't care."

The agent in the "Form Statement Department" that I was finally transferred to today took my information and said she would submit a request to have the statements added to my account. She then asked me why I needed them, as the agents are being asked to document the reason. I (perhaps slightly unprofessionally) said that because I expected a financial institution with hundreds of billions of dollars under management to be able to provide quarterly statements detailing the transactions within my retirement account.

She said that she couldn't give me an estimate as to when I would receive a response. I then mentioned I had made the same request on 5 July. She looked at that entry in their system and said that it had been closed out on 12 July with a note that said something to the effect of "participant statements prior to May 26 2022 are not available." Despite this request being closed for over two weeks, I was not notified.

Having spent 26 years in government service, I should have known that rule #1 of a system "upgrade" is to backup all your data yourself.

:annoyed
I asked the CSR about past statements as well and was told they will only be provided to support "legal proceedings".

Wonder if divorcing from the TSP is a legal proceeding...
Bammerman

Disappointed. And who gets the money if prior beneficiary information isn't there any more?

Post by Bammerman »

I'm not going to read through all these comments, just the first long page of them. I'm quite disappointed also. All my prior beneficiary information is lost and I'll have to re-do it. What happens to my TSP if I die before I accomplish this? This could easily happen to many retirees -- many or most of whom may be blithely unaware that their beneficiary information has disappeared into the ether. I think it falls on the TSP to undertake a serious outreach effort to inform account-holders of this problem and the need to re-do their beneficiary information.

Also, less important but quite irritating, now I can only look as far back in my TSP records as 05-26-2022. I've never been one one to see a need to download data about fund performance or balances because I always knew I could just log on to TSP.gov and look that up. Well, too late now.

Finally -- what was the need for this change? What was wrong with the previous website? I was always perfectly satisfied with it. I even used some of the calculators from time to time and they are gone now too.

I couldn't make the website's links -- the few that remain -- work.

I'm frustrated enough to be thinking of writing my Congressman -- for all the good that will do.
delamer

Re: Disappointed. And who gets the money if prior beneficiary information isn't there any more?

Post by delamer »

Bammerman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:40 pm I'm not going to read through all these comments, just the first long page of them. I'm quite disappointed also. All my prior beneficiary information is lost and I'll have to re-do it. What happens to my TSP if I die before I accomplish this? This could easily happen to many retirees -- many or most of whom may be blithely unaware that their beneficiary information has disappeared into the ether. I think it falls on the TSP to undertake a serious outreach effort to inform account-holders of this problem and the need to re-do their beneficiary information.

Also, less important but quite irritating, now I can only look as far back in my TSP records as 05-26-2022. I've never been one one to see a need to download data about fund performance or balances because I always knew I could just log on to TSP.gov and look that up. Well, too late now.

Finally -- what was the need for this change? What was wrong with the previous website? I was always perfectly satisfied with it. I even used some of the calculators from time to time and they are gone now too.

I couldn't make the website's links -- the few that remain -- work.

I'm frustrated enough to be thinking of writing my Congressman -- for all the good that will do.
Apparently, the TSP has retained paper copies of previously filed beneficiary documents. And will use them when the account holder dies. Why this information couldn’t be electronically transferred to the new system is unknown (at least to me).

It’s simple enough to input your beneficiaries online. You just need a witness to attest to the beneficiary designations via electronic signature. You enter the witness’s name and e-mail, and s/he receives a link to do the signature. The witness can’t be a beneficiary.

I’m sure the site update was needed to incorporate the addition of the trading window.

The site is working fine for me. Changes can be hard to adjust to, but they are part of cyber-life (and the rest of it too).
petulant

Post by petulant »

SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:36 pm I called the Thriftline this afternoon to ask them a question about why a direct rollover into the TSP is taking so long to credit to my account.

It told me the wait time to speak to a rep was 57 minutes. This was all caused by members needing assistance getting their accounts set up online.

Great… :oops:
Did you ever figure it out? I am a bit concerned with how long my recent rollover in has taken.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

petulant wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:40 am
SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:36 pm I called the Thriftline this afternoon to ask them a question about why a direct rollover into the TSP is taking so long to credit to my account.

It told me the wait time to speak to a rep was 57 minutes. This was all caused by members needing assistance getting their accounts set up online.

Did you ever figure it out? I am a bit concerned with how long my recent rollover in has taken.
I’m still trying.

They claimed they never got the first check and paperwork.

So, I placed a stop payment on the first check and started all over again. I’m now in the process of trying to find out what the status of the second attempt is. When you call the TSP, they can only give you very generic info. Yesterday however, they claimed they have received the second attempt and it’ll be credited to my account shortly.

1 1/2 months and still trying to get this done. This is ridiculous. Prior to the “upgrade” I had done this process twice and each time it was 2-3 weeks from start to finish.
petulant

Post by petulant »

SquawkIdent wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:48 am
petulant wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:40 am

I’m still trying.

They claimed they never got the first check and paperwork.

So, I placed a stop payment on the first check and started all over again. I’m now in the process of trying to find out what the status of the second attempt is. When you call the TSP, they can only give you very generic info. Yesterday however, they claimed they have received the second attempt and it’ll be credited to my account shortly.

1 1/2 months and still trying to get this done. This is ridiculous. Prior to the “upgrade” I had done this process twice and each time it was 2-3 weeks from start to finish.
That's terrifying. I did get a delivery confirmation on mine, so hopefully that means it won't get "lost."
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Meanwhile, I still have to change my password every time I want to log on