What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fourwheelcycle

Re: What Do You Pay for an Oil Change?

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Helo80 wrote:The only oil I know that costs that much per quart is Royal Purple and the Mobil 0w-30 (?)

Castrol 06037 EDGE 5W-30 European Formula (API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB-Approval 229.5, VW 502 00, VW 505 00)
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Jiffy Lube horror stories are pretty frightening. Glad I asked ... :happy

Small Law Survivor
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
hudson

Post by hudson »

gloss151 wrote:To lube the chain its maybe $.10 or perhaps double that if using a dry ptfe lube. I lube the drivetrain every 3 weeks or so. Every month or two I'll use a quarter of a can of break cleaner to completely clean the bikes cassette and chainrings. This is for a 20 year old dura ace drive train.
Ha! I ride a mountain bike and prefer to ride rather than maintain or clean. After 10 or 20 rides, the chain starts singing, so I'll squirt water on it from my camelbak to get through the ride. I'll oil the chain before riding again...with whatever kind of regular oil I can find...then I'll wipe down the chain. I check the chain wear and usually replace it once a year. SRAM PC 971 Chain - 9-Speed...about $19. http://www.jensonusa.com/!fMFNER4v5v9V2 ... oCm4Xw_wcB

Tundra Oil Change: The oil change guy, whom I've known and trusted for years, said that his Lube + trade publication showed that the Tundra is the #1 slowest/hardest oil and filter change. ( http://www.aoca.org/page/Lube) We then walked into the oil change pit and he showed me that the mechanic had removed a skid plate...8 bolts...before changing the filter. The manual says change every 10K miles and use synthetic. He then handed me my bill..
Full Service Oil Change $34.95
Havoline Pro DS 0W-20...8 quarts...$23.97
Synthetic Oil Charge...$26.00
Total including state sales tax...$94.92

For most of my adult life, I've changed my own oil...but the new style oil filters give me heartburn. I've found that many times changing the oil helps me solve little problems before they become big ones. Here's a YouTube video of a laid back gentleman demonstrating a Tundra oil and filter change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRO-685BpM
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I paid $59.99 before a $5.00 mail coupon at Valvoline, for our Mazda CX-5. It included a synthetic blend (Valvoline Maxlife, 0W20).

I had never gone to this location while it was branded as Valvoline (the store formerly belonged to a chain called Oil Can Henry's) and was a little surprised at how expensive it was, after I had driven up (full synthetic oil would have been more). It's definitely convenient, to stay in the car while the work is done.

They topped off my antifreeze, also.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Helo80 wrote:The only oil I know that costs that much per quart is Royal Purple and the Mobil 0w-30 (?)

Castrol 06037 EDGE 5W-30 European Formula (API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB-Approval 229.5, VW 502 00, VW 505 00)

Yup. That European blend will do it to you.

Fortunately, I was able to stock up on that stuff last for about 6 dollars per quart after rebate through Amazon and Mobil 1's oil rebate.Those Mercedes Sprinter engines I think are 14L if memory serves making them a several hundred dollar oil change at any euro or MB authorized shop.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

The dealer just sent me a free oil change coupon for my 100% electric Chevrolet Bolt.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Helo80 wrote:[MB authorized shop.
Assuming you exclude Mercedes dealers, what do you mean?
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

neilpilot wrote:
Helo80 wrote:[MB authorized shop.
Assuming you exclude Mercedes dealers, what do you mean?
That's what I meant... MB dealers. Maybe other shops can become authorized as well.... IDK...
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

GTBuzz wrote:$0. I drive an electric car. :happy
+1 We also save time, making appointments, getting a loaner car at the dealership, or having somebody pick you up and take you back to pick up the car. It's one thing that we electric car owners never have to think about ever again!
The problem with jiffy lubes type places, you have to keep the receipt for warranty purposes, and do people really trust Jiffy Lube!? Still, 20 minutes is 20 minutes. I have better things to do with my time, no matter how small.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
keaton

Post by keaton »

07 Audi A4 2.0t S-line Avant:
Rotella T6 5w-40 and a filter for about $27 bucks

My OCI is 5K miles at the moment due to the 2.0T having high wear on the High pressure fuel pump lifter. If it wasn't for that design flaw, I would be at 10K OCI like ever other vehicle...

To the guy that stated Audi needs "special" oil, it's just the rating and most quality oils have the spec. It's been found that Audi dealers have actually used incorrect spec oil due to cost. You have to keep in mind that a dealership is privately owned so they can use whatever oil they want! Dealerships are nothing more then a branded independent shop that sells you parts and labor for straight MSRP. It is the worst business model for the consumer.

For the people that DIY their oil changes, get an oil extractor! It's amazing.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

jabberwockOG wrote:I always diy oil changes on our cars. Cost is apprx $30 using full syn oil with a quality filter. I do it more for fun than saving money because I enjoy doing most of the basic maint on our cars. I take my time doing oil change and also check out the various other mechanical components/systems. Added benefit is that I know it was done right by someone that actually cares about the car.

IF someday I can't diy anymore, I'd likely take it to the dealer or find a good independent certified mechanic. No way would I use any kind of quicky oil change place - these are almost always staffed by low wage, very inexperienced folks who may actually damage your car due to inattention to detail or just gross incompetence.

Same here. I do it myself because I like to and it gives me a chance to check over everything else. It also is faster, since I can do either car in about 20 minutes and even going to a quick lube its a minimum hour+ commitment including driving time, and the dealer somehow manages to make it into a multi-hour affair.

But I agree its no longer a cost savings. My MIL has her Civic changed at the HOnda dealer with synthetic 0W-20 for cheaper than I can buy the oil retail. They must get some really big bulk discounts.
researcher

Post by researcher »

keaton wrote:For the people that DIY their oil changes, get an oil extractor! It's amazing.
I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm curious about this.

What is the main benefit of an oil extractor for you?
mxs

Post by mxs »

I always go to Walmart for a 5 Quart jug of Mobil 1 ( ~$25 ) Extended Performance, Regular if Extended is not available and usually get a Fram Tough Guard ( ~$7 ) filter if available or Extra Guard ( ~$5 ) filter if not. That puts me close to $30-$33 OTD. I was not aware of the $12-$15 rebate from Mobil 1, I am assuming that is good when bought from Walmart, correct? I will have to remember that rebate going forward. I had never heard of a Fumoto valve until this thread, I am interested now.

OP, you are paying too much.

I would follow what the owner's manual says about oil change intervals. My 2004 Olds Alero says 5,000 miles. I change mine in spring and fall when the weather isn't too hot and that works out well mileage wise. Many new vehicles are going to 7,500 or even 10,000 miles. I was a little skeptical when I first heard this, but you have to remember that engineers are coming up with that suggestion and the vehicle manufacturers probably wouldn't suggest such a long interval if their engines couldn't handle it. Once a year is probably the longest I would go no matter what. Twice a year lets you feel that much more confident and gives you a good time to check all the other fluids.
IFRider

Post by IFRider »

Changed the oil in my Pilot last weekend.

$38.01 at O'Reillys -- 1 gallon Pennzoil 5w-20 and a Wix filter.

Took me 10 minutes, maybe a new record.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

IFRider wrote:Changed the oil in my Pilot last weekend.

Be sure to look for the mail in rebate coupons from Oreilly's. They really do honor them and it costs a stamp and 3 min to fill out the form, I've gotten about $40 back so far. Last week, Valvoline Synpower and a Wix filter was on sale for $33 with a $10 mail in rebate.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

madbrain wrote:The dealer just sent me a free oil change coupon for my 100% electric Chevrolet Bolt.
Amazing!

Perhaps they are proud of the free coffee in their waiting lounge and want to ensure that you get a cup :beer
IFRider

Post by IFRider »

barnaclebob wrote:
IFRider wrote:Changed the oil in my Pilot last weekend.

Be sure to look for the mail in rebate coupons from Oreilly's. They really do honor them and it costs a stamp and 3 min to fill out the form, I've gotten about $40 back so far. Last week, Valvoline Synpower and a Wix filter was on sale for $33 with a $10 mail in rebate.
Thank you for that heads up. :sharebeer

That's more than I usually pay, but I wanted to switch to that filter.
Leif

Post by Leif »

madbrain wrote:The dealer just sent me a free oil change coupon for my 100% electric Chevrolet Bolt.
Lucky you. Tesla has never sent me a free oil change coupon!
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Volvo dealer - I've dealt with them for 22 years and have never had anything recommended that was not needed (assessed by my shade tree mechanic background :wink: ). 8 quarts full synthetic Castrol Edge Professional and a Volvo OEM filter plus assundry gaskets and complete car inspection including any software updates. $98. Worth it to save me from back pain, cost of loads of shower soap and replaced carpet from tracking oil in the house, and besides - gives me more time for imbibing adult beverages. Well, at least the first part of that is true. :D
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Depend on the vehicle you deal with. Some of my vehicles engine bay is very easy to access, so I prefer to change oil myself. Just material cost. Some of my vehicle are are hard and must get access from below. I will just bring the car to mechanics and provide filter and oil. Pay them $20 labor to do it.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

researcher wrote:
keaton wrote:For the people that DIY their oil changes, get an oil extractor! It's amazing.
I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm curious about this.

What is the main benefit of an oil extractor for you?
I can't speak for Keaton, but I've been using a Mytevac extractor for years. Advantages include ability to change oil without driving car on a ramp, removing bottom shield (on one of my cars) to access oil pan drain plug, removing plug, draining oil in a pan which I found more likely to result in spillage, buying a new drain plug gasket, pouring used oil into container(s) for disposal which once again resulted in more spillage potential.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Leif wrote:
Lucky you. Tesla has never sent me a free oil change coupon!
You should complain !

Nissan sent me free oil change coupons for my 100% electric 2012 Nissan Leaf in the past, too.
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

~$24 gets my oil and filter change done for me while I get some grocery shopping done across the parking lot ($18.99 + a bit extra for the extra qt above the "5 qt included", plus taxes). Doing it myself would take me ~20 minutes of my time and save me about $4 if I got my oil/filter on sale most of the time. I'll pay the extra to let someone else do the work for me while I get other stuff taken care of. Well worth the extra $4 to me. If I ever get a car that needs synthetic oil again (and prices haven't gotten reasonable to have that changed out for me by then) I'll probably go back to doing my own oil changes as that saved me ~$50-75 an oil change (depending on local deals/specials) back when I had a car running synthetic.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

JerryStubak wrote:Some say every 300 miles but that seems a bit excessive.
That is more than a bit excessive. Many race cars don't have their oil changed that frequently.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

researcher wrote:What is the main benefit of an oil extractor for you?
It varies a bit depending on the vehicle's layout. In descending order of hassle:

--On my father-in-law's Murano, I can skip the oil drain pan. I might be able to skip jacking it up by turning the wheel all the way to the right, will try that next time.
--On my wife's Lexus, I don't need the large drain pan (small pitcher will suffice) and I don't have to jack the car up
--On my BMW, I could do a full oil change in a 3-piece suit, because the filter is on top of the engine. No pan or jack required.

In all cases it's less hassle to change with an extractor. It usually takes longer to get the oil out, but you don't have to be present for any part of the process, so that doesn't really matter.

Back to the original question, I do all my own changes. It costs me anywhere from $40-70 to do so. Amsoil full synthetic in all cases. Mann filter for the BMW, Toyota for the Lexus, and Wix for the Nissan. If I used cheap oil and filters (typical of most quick-lube places), the range would probably be more like $15-30.
William4u

Post by William4u »

mxs wrote: I was not aware of the $12-$15 rebate from Mobil 1, I am assuming that is good when bought from Walmart, correct? I will have to remember that rebate going forward.
Pennzoil and Mobil 1 run a $10-12 rebate for 5 quarts roughly 6 months out of any one year. Pennzoil has one running right now, and Quaker State. Mobile 1 had one run until May 31. There are many other rebates and sales. One good place to learn about them is at the bobistheoilguy forum. They have a sub-forum dedicated to oil rebates. The internet has something for any interest, even a forum dedicated to oil rebates!
katwillny

Post by katwillny »

It seems a bit high, but then again I have been doing my own oil changes for over 20 years. I get Amsoil synth oil and filter and do it every 15k miles. The oil I get is rated for 25k miles but I just don't feel waiting that long. I usually pay $29 for all materials and on average it takes me 15 minutes to do. Same with wife's car. I try to do all regular maintenance myself, I feel better knowing the job was done right.
Indexboss

Post by Indexboss »

I change oil myself, but many modern cars are switching to expensive 0W-20 synthetic only oils for fuel efficiency standards. The cost to buy 5-6 quarts is about $40-50. An OEM filter costs around $10.00 or so. At least most modern cars have 10,000 mile intervals.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Indexboss wrote:I change oil myself, but many modern cars are switching to expensive 0W-20 synthetic only oils for fuel efficiency standards. The cost to buy 5-6 quarts is about $40-50. An OEM filter costs around $10.00 or so. At least most modern cars have 10,000 mile intervals.
I just bought 2 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 0w-20 $22.88 each BEFORE rebate. I would say that you may loose your standing as a true Boglehead if you regularly pay $40-50 for that item.
timmy

Post by timmy »

Nothing special economy car and minivan.

About $40 per.

If we shopped around, we could go for $20 per.

We trust this place, as they do all our repairs. Without asking, they offer what must be repaired vs. what can wait.
ethan_imagine

Post by ethan_imagine »

I have a Subaru Forester 2017, 2.5i Premium, 4 cyl. Did oil change at Valvoline in Somerville, MA on July 3, 2022. Let me provide a latest data point in a time of inflation.

Parts Quantity Unit Price($)
Valvoline 0W20 MaxLife oil API SP 5.1 QT
Oil filter VO106 1 each
Parts subtotal 77.99
discount -10
Labor 23.53
subtotal 91.52
tax 5.08
Total 96.60

Note Subaru needs synthetic oil, so it's pricier than the regular one, but it lasts longer. Valvoline offers 2 kinds of synthetic oil: the full and semi synthetic oil. I chose the cheaper option.

Another note is that Valvoline tends to sell you additional produces/services, such as cabin air filter and air filter in the car. They are not cheap, but it's ultimately your call. They can be quite persuasive, by showing you how filthy your filters are. Be careful.

The entire service took ~ 15mins, which was a plus for me.

Here's a list of services they provided within the 15mins:
checked lubrication points
checked oil drain plug & gasket
checked tire pressure, front & rear
checked break fluid level
checked battery
checked coolant reservoir level
checked transmission fluid level sealed
checked oil drain plus

Hope it helps.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

An internet search I did retrieved synthetic oil prices ranging from around $23 to around $60 for 6 qts. The $60ish prices were for Mobil1. I don’t know if it is worth the extra, and at least 1 poster suggested it is sometimes available for much less.

I would call the $96 charged to the OP as defensible if $10/qt oil was used, but generally high.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

$100 for a synthetic oil change, with the multi-point inspection and top offs is very fair.

Oil changes are a loss leader for almost all garages and I suspect the least profitable part of their business. Not sure what everyone else gets paid, but this is the best deal at the car dealership. Now brakes, cabin filters, air filters, etc. are generally easy and worth doing yourself.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

$30-$40, every 5,000 miles or so, includes tire rotation and wheel balance check. Same place I bought my tires, so they have an incentive to make sure my tires wear evenly. Every time I buy a new set of tires I ask them to check alignment, only one alignment for about 5 years now. Roads are horrible in certain areas we traverse, tires take a beating.

Never liked doing oil changes, if I had had a nice garage with a lift maybe. All mine were on grass or dirt surface. As soon as I could afford having someone else do them, I flicked that booger off my finger.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

This thread prompts me to relate my 2 recent oil changes for my Subaru Outback. I had the car inspected and the oil+filter changed like I do once a year. I paid $78 for synthetic oil at a place about 1/2 mile from my house. Then the next day I went to a remote location to backpack and drove over rugged terrain pretty fast and banged the bottom of the car a few times.

I get back from the trip and park the car for a week without driving it. I notice a major oil leak under the car and think, "Oh, s***! I cracked the oil pan or engine block." I check that the car still has enough oil to get to the Subaru dealer. They look at it and see that the oil pan drain plug is loose courtesy of the previous mechanic. So I get another oil+filter change this time for $99 and a great car wash.

I also had to buy a jug of degreaser and Brakclean to clean the oil stain in my garage with them. Also used my pressure washer. This was more than a couple hours of my time.

I am lucky because I could've been miles from anywhere in the backcountry and the drain plug could've simply fallen out leaving the car with no oil and me stranded.

Then I went on another backpacking trip to a remote location in Colorado. I'll tell you about my tire problems in the next installment or maybe when someone starts a thread "What Do You Pay for New Tires?"
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Have no idea why this thread was resurrected but, for my Rav 4 hybrid, Mobil 1 synthetic, oil filter & tire rotation total cost is $35. I do it myself.
Carlton

Post by Carlton »

My prediction is oil changes will cost more now than in 2017.

I've had good results from my local Ford dealer with their Quick Lane Service and "The Works Package" for aroun $50 bucks. Usually I do my own oil changes though.
sleepy06

Post by sleepy06 »

ethan_imagine wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:01 pm I have a Subaru Forester 2017, 2.5i Premium, 4 cyl. Did oil change at Valvoline in Somerville, MA on July 3, 2022. Let me provide a latest data point in a time of inflation.

Parts Quantity Unit Price($)
Valvoline 0W20 MaxLife oil API SP 5.1 QT
Oil filter VO106 1 each
Parts subtotal 77.99
discount -10
Labor 23.53
subtotal 91.52
tax 5.08
Total 96.60

Note Subaru needs synthetic oil, so it's pricier than the regular one, but it lasts longer. Valvoline offers 2 kinds of synthetic oil: the full and semi synthetic oil. I chose the cheaper option.

Another note is that Valvoline tends to sell you additional produces/services, such as cabin air filter and air filter in the car. They are not cheap, but it's ultimately your call. They can be quite persuasive, by showing you how filthy your filters are. Be careful.

The entire service took ~ 15mins, which was a plus for me.

Here's a list of services they provided within the 15mins:
checked lubrication points
checked oil drain plug & gasket
checked tire pressure, front & rear
checked break fluid level
checked battery
checked coolant reservoir level
checked transmission fluid level sealed
checked oil drain plus

Hope it helps.
Your post reminded me I used to go to the quick lube places and always had good results. I had a '97 Grand Marquis that all I did for a decade was whatever they recommended. A few other repairs at other shops when the need arose. Always quick and easy. Paid a little extra but it was right by my house and I enjoyed sipping the thick coffee and playing on my phone while they quickly fixed things.

Now I've migrated to dealerships for my oil changes but I think I'm going to start taking our older car over to the quick lube places again
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

50 bucks for synthetic blend every 8.5k miles or thereabouts.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

$100+
Once every 2 years.
We only drive 2K miles per year.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Regular maintenance and most repairs on my car and other "wheels" happen in our warehouse.

Includes:
Full oil drain out of the pan after removing the plug. The replaced properly per spec.
Replacing oil filter per spec.
System checks per OEM service manuals.

DW takes her "new" Toyota 4Runner to the Toyota dealer for everything.

Cost is for the as rec. oem oil n filters, etc.
Labor is free plus some amount of "grumbling". . . and "back ache" meds, etc.

Advantages:
More than dollar savings if any, Peace of mind. No "oops" from dealers and service centers, etc. IE: forgetting to put back oil fill cap, improper or no tightening of drain plugs, over tightening or not tightening oil filters, use of cheap oil and filters, etc.

j :D

Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Paid $76 at the dealer last week. Highlander (Hybrid), 6 qts synthetic. I may be overpaying a bit, but it is just once a year and I like the peace of mind (the car sees low usage so miles driven is not a trigger for the o/c).

Post by 123 »

We have an independent mechanic that we trust with our Toyota repairs do the oil and filter changes for $50 in our HCOL.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:25 pm $30-$40, every 5,000 miles or so, includes tire rotation and wheel balance check. Same place I bought my tires, so they have an incentive to make sure my tires wear evenly. Every time I buy a new set of tires I ask them to check alignment, only one alignment for about 5 years now. Roads are horrible in certain areas we traverse, tires take a beating.

Never liked doing oil changes, if I had had a nice garage with a lift maybe. All mine were on grass or dirt surface. As soon as I could afford having someone else do them, I flicked that booger off my finger.

Broken Man 1999
Not to be sarcastic but doesn’t the place that sells you tires have an incentive to have your tires replaced as much as possible?

I took my car to the dealer for a repair years ago and while there I thought it would be good to get a state inspection. It failed inspection for a front end bearing / ball joint that was a very subjective call. Of course that was expensive. 20 some years later I get my car inspected at valvoline oil change where they don’t do major repairs and have never had it failed there for a large subjective item. I know I am skeptical of folks on commission.

Just my experience; not everyone’s I know.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Helo80 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 am Usually, about $3 per quarter and $5 per filter. I change the oil for everyone in my family's car. In terms of oil changes, I don't trust anybody.

My dad took his truck to a Ford dealership, and somehow, I think they managed to use an impact wrench on the oil filter. Then, the oil drain plug had threads that collapsed when I took off the plugs. The engine has 17,000 miles on it, and he took it twice to the same Ford dealership. I ate the $11 cost of a new oil plug, gladly, without arguing at those a**hats. Thankfully, the oil pan threads were fine.

My dad also took his Toyota, regularly, for the first 60,000 miles to the dealership he bought it from. Again, the oil can (the special oil house Toyota uses now), had He-Man strength tightening on the thing, as well as, the oil plug.

It's utterly and completely ridiculous and goes against any service manual. It's not even funny, because overtightening those parts can cause serious damage to the engine. Just like what a previous poster said about Jiffy Lube, they won't take responsibility.... ever.

I don't belittle peoples chosen occupation, but the oil lube peeps don't take pride in their work, or don't care. I hand tighten oil filters and oil drain plugs and never leak nor struggle to take them off down the road. I'll be honest, it's easy enough and inexpensive enough to change the oil that I would not get a "free" oil change from any dealer. I have witnessed, first hand, too many problems with something as simple as an oil change.
Exactly, I’ve had super tight filter canister drains that are only supposed to be 9ft lbs and finger tight drain plugs leaking oil on my brand new stuff serviced at the dealer! On my current Toyota truck, I decided to forgo the “free” oil changes for the first 2 years that came with it and do them myself. OEM filter/drain washer and 8 qts of some of the highest rated oil all for about $45-50 and the peace of mind knowing that it was actually done right... proper torque specs and sano conditions. I’m a car guy and give a darn about my vehicles so this stuff matters to me I suppose.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

50-80. My trusted. Mechanic. Synthetic. Every 5k miles
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I take DW's Crosstrek to local Subaru Dealer. We prepay a pack of 3 oil changes for $139. Pretty good deal for 3 Synthetic Oil changes with tire rotation. They haven't really tried any upsells yet, but I am confident that will change when 3yr/36K Warranty expires Sept 2023. No worries for me as I am good at deflecting BS repair/maintenance recommendations. :twisted:
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Carguy85 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:18 am
Helo80 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 am Usually, about $3 per quarter and $5 per filter. I change the oil for everyone in my family's car. In terms of oil changes, I don't trust anybody.

My dad took his truck to a Ford dealership, and somehow, I think they managed to use an impact wrench on the oil filter. Then, the oil drain plug had threads that collapsed when I took off the plugs. The engine has 17,000 miles on it, and he took it twice to the same Ford dealership. I ate the $11 cost of a new oil plug, gladly, without arguing at those a**hats. Thankfully, the oil pan threads were fine.

My dad also took his Toyota, regularly, for the first 60,000 miles to the dealership he bought it from. Again, the oil can (the special oil house Toyota uses now), had He-Man strength tightening on the thing, as well as, the oil plug.

It's utterly and completely ridiculous and goes against any service manual. It's not even funny, because overtightening those parts can cause serious damage to the engine. Just like what a previous poster said about Jiffy Lube, they won't take responsibility.... ever.

I don't belittle peoples chosen occupation, but the oil lube peeps don't take pride in their work, or don't care. I hand tighten oil filters and oil drain plugs and never leak nor struggle to take them off down the road. I'll be honest, it's easy enough and inexpensive enough to change the oil that I would not get a "free" oil change from any dealer. I have witnessed, first hand, too many problems with something as simple as an oil change.
Exactly, I’ve had super tight filter canister drains that are only supposed to be 9ft lbs and finger tight drain plugs leaking oil on my brand new stuff serviced at the dealer! On my current Toyota truck, I decided to forgo the “free” oil changes for the first 2 years that came with it and do them myself. OEM filter/drain washer and 8 qts of some of the highest rated oil all for about $45-50 and the peace of mind knowing that it was actually done right... proper torque specs and sano conditions. I’m a car guy and give a darn about my vehicles so this stuff matters to me I suppose.
Similar to you I know what to look for, and what to do for a job well done. Many folks who do not think they got really excellent service and a bunch of other stuff 'checked' - I guess sometimes its better if you don't know.
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

At walmart it's $21.47 for full synthetic. Another $5 or so for a filter. Do it myself every 8k miles. Could go 10k+ but I like doing it a bit early and rotate the tires at the same time.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

smitcat wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:51 am Similar to you I know what to look for, and what to do for a job well done. Many folks who do not think they got really excellent service and a bunch of other stuff 'checked' - I guess sometimes its better if you don't know.
Ignorance in so many cases is certainly bliss..(coming from someone with a bit of OCD) 😃