Cleaning Corners on the Floor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Cleaning Corners on the Floor

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Well, I've reached the stage in my life where I have to stop cleaning my floors on my hands and knees. It is easy to get down, not so easy getting up. I like to get into the corners where the floors meet walls and also the underside of the overhang of the floor cabinets. Other than the usual things like baseboard buddy and swifter are there any other things to try?
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
tunafish

Re: Cleaning Corners on the Floor

Post by tunafish »

Following. I have the same problem. I do it by doing part of the floor each day, but that's unsatisfactory.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Can't speak for the underside of cabinets because...well I don't clean the underside of my cabinets other than maybe once a year and its cursory at best.

But for floors I find the easiest method to keeping them clean is to prevent them from getting dirty in the first place. In other words -- no shoes allowed to be worn in the house. That way the only stuff that builds up there is regular ol' dust that the swiffer gets up just fine. No heavier particles or things of that nature.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Ah, a thread for us to see how ‘normal' we are and how ‘crazy' everyone else is.

What about a mop? Wet swiffer? Anything with a handle. There are a lot of fancy options.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Yes, even guests know to take their shoes off at the door. I read somewhere that in VA, there is always a spider within six feet of a person. They tend to build webs under the floor cabinet overhang.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

I just hit the floors with the swiffer every so often. It's square so it gets into tight corners pretty well. Speaking of which, I probably should take care of that, it's been too long. Every few months or so I might hit the baseboards with the duster, they don't accumulate much since they're mostly vertical. I also use the duster to check the corners for any spider webs. Have to look from an angle, they can be hard to see.
65% US Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV, 22% Int Stock
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

For a while, I used my old Oreck canister vacuum with the really long attachment. It’s very powerful. You can stay standing. After vacuuming, you can rubber-band a small damp towel around the attachment and get into the corners that way. I’m sure there’s many models of this now, but this thing is way more powerful than a Dustbuster so I’ve kept it for years.

They still sell them.
andreas

Post by andreas »

We just got a robot vacuum. Best decision ever if you have hardwood floors and only one floor.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

andreas wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:46 pm We just got a robot vacuum. Best decision ever if you have hardwood floors and only one floor.
I can't imagine that helps much with corners...
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Who us gonna call? Dustbusters! I can’t live without it. Strong and thorough.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:12 am Well, I've reached the stage in my life where I have to stop cleaning my floors on my hands and knees. It is easy to get down, not so easy getting up. I like to get into the corners where the floors meet walls and also the underside of the overhang of the floor cabinets. Other than the usual things like baseboard buddy and swifter are there any other things to try?
Toothbrush on long stick.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Hire professional cleaners?
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Scrub brush skates, Pippi Longstocking style.

Seriously, though, I was surprised nobody had made scrub brush attachments that could be strapped to shoes yet. And then I found... "mop slippers". It's a real thing. They're washable and reusable. Perhaps that would help?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

LOL, I should have thought of that myself. Not perhaps true, but there was a movie scene of Jefferson when visiting France for the first time was surprised at the excess, including a person polishing the floors with slick bottomed shoes, almost skate like. I think I have a number of options to try thanks to all the ideas here.

Like Jefferson, I might have to find a Cordwainer to make them to my specifications. Fortunately, there is still a Cordwainer's guild in VA:

https://www.thehcc.org

(The first Cordwainer in VA was Christopher Nelme (1595-1630) who arrived in 1619 on the ship the Margaret - 45 tons burthen. The Margaret made fairly good time, leaving Bristol on September 16, 1619, and arriving safely in Virginia on the evening of November 30. I digress with my love of history, I'll stop, my apologies.)
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
guyfromct

Post by guyfromct »

HomeStretch wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:35 pm Hire professional cleaners?
Seconded, the cost is low and getting a few hours back each month is worth it.
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

sailaway wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:25 pm
andreas wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:46 pm We just got a robot vacuum. Best decision ever if you have hardwood floors and only one floor.
It doesn't. They are not a substitute for actually cleaning the floors. We've tried a couple of different models. Including some of the higher end models. None were satisfactory. We pay someone to come clean our house every two weeks now. Totally worth it
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Beensabu wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:20 am Scrub brush skates, Pippi Longstocking style.

Seriously, though, I was surprised nobody had made scrub brush attachments that could be strapped to shoes yet. And then I found... "mop slippers". It's a real thing. They're washable and reusable. Perhaps that would help?
Yes! I love mine!
I haven't use them to mop corners, though.
They are extremely comfortable to wear around the house, too.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:05 pm
Beensabu wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:20 am Scrub brush skates, Pippi Longstocking style.

Yes! I love mine!
Very ingenious product!

But I am laughing at one vendor’s marketing suggestion to buy a pack of 10 and give them to your guests to wear so they too can help mop your floors…
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

I too gave up cleaning floors on my hands and knees. Here's what I do instead on our hardwood and tile floors.
Vacuum the floors with the floor attachment and the baseboards, top of window and door moldings with the brush attachment. Extra credit for the tops and bottoms of the edges of raised panels on doors and the trim above the beadboard half wall and any stray cobwebs along the ceiling, Now to wash the floors: I use a Bissel Steam Mop (with distilled water) and swipe each section of floor forward and back 3 times. I use the high temperature setting on the tile and the next lower (mid) setting for the hardwood floors, changing to a clean mop cover from the tile to the wood. The mop head rotates to get into the tight corners, and if I lift the mop a few inches I can get the underside of floor cabinets with the upper side of the mop cover. It is also easy to steam clean the floor of the cabinet under the sink where we store the trash. The steam mop also does a good cleaning the tiled floor of our bathrooms / showers. Much quicker and faster than hands and knees!
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I never thought about steam mops, looks like a good option.
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

sailaway wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:25 pm
We have a couple Neato robot vacuum cleaners and they are flat on the front so they get into corners unlike round robot vacuums. Since they are flat on the front the brush is wider than round vacs. We lost our cleaning person early pandemic and the robot does such a good job I haven't had to use our conventional vacuum more than a couple times for heavy cleanup. The key, I believe, to utilizing a robot vacuum effectively is the process of cleaning the vacuum properly. Without the use of an air compressor to clean it I don't see how they make any sense. I blow out the filters and couple parts of the machine after every couple of uses. It is unbelievable how well these things work when they are properly maintained. We bought the second one on ebay at huge discount (open box slightly used) for our second floor. They have already paid for themselves within 2 years in my opinion. I dust around the house and whatever the swiffer doesn't pick up goes into the air, then to the floor where the robots pick it up. The batteries don't last forever, maybe 2 years so they do require upkeep.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:12 am Well, I've reached the stage in my life where I have to stop cleaning my floors on my hands and knees. It is easy to get down, not so easy getting up. I like to get into the corners where the floors meet walls and also the underside of the overhang of the floor cabinets. Other than the usual things like baseboard buddy and swifter are there any other things to try?
I have the same problem as do many of our peers. Getting up and down is a challenge.

The fix for me: Every other day, I do 10 kneel downs and ups alternating legs/knees...knee to the mat and back up. When I started, I had to get help with a cane, a chair, or a stool. I also hold onto something like a sink or whatever and do 10 squats. I have a 15 minute stretch, core, ab routine that is rolling back the clock...a little.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

hudson wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:31 am
I have the same problem as do many of our peers. Getting up and down is a challenge.

The fix for me: Every other day, I do 10 kneel downs and ups alternating legs/knees...knee to the mat and back up. When I started, I had to get help with a cane, a chair, or a stool. I also hold onto something like a sink or whatever and do 10 squats. I have a 15 minute stretch, core, ab routine that is rolling back the clock...a little.
Yes, that's part of it and it helps, but still it is not easy. I go to the gym five days a week with increased emphasis on balance, TRX and leg strength. For myself, the peripheral neuropathy is an issue which adds to difficulty.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:44 am
hudson wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:31 am

Yes, that's part of it and it helps, but still it is not easy. I go to the gym five days a week with increased emphasis on balance, TRX and leg strength. For myself, the peripheral neuropathy is an issue which adds to difficulty.
Sounds like you're on track and doing the best you can.
For many of us we need to specialize in "the work-around"!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

+1.

Preparing floors to clean. For corners, under cabinet toe kicks, behind doors, and other places a robot vacuum can't reach, I run a broom through it and sweep everything into an open floor area.

Cleaning higher surfaces. If I notice dust/spider webs, I'll use a broom, and handheld hair dryer (long extension cord) and dust mop.
--Start high and work down.
--Spider webs on ceiling are knocked down with broom.
--Dust mop is used to agitate stubborn dust not easily dislodged by the hair dryer (window blinds,...).
--Hair dryer blows (agitated) dust onto floor, from higher surfaces, furniture, and other awkward places robot vacuum can't reach.

Elapsed time/room: ~2mins.

Then I start robot vacuum cleaning cycle to scoop up the floor dust. It if misses some dust the first time, it'll get it next time.

General cleaning supplies.

I like the toilet tank Chlorox bleach tables to remove stains from toilet bowl. I replace them every 6mos.
See: https://www.google.com/search?q=clorox+toilet+tablets

I like Libman's broom/dustpan combo, and it's Nitty Gritty sponge mop.
--Broom/dustpan for occasional dry messes.
--Sponge mop for occasional wet messes.

My housecleaning rule of thumb: If my dishes are cleaned and put away, dust is too small for me to see and robot vacuum to pick up, and toilet bowl is clean/shiny, then my house is clean enough.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

dratkinson wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:17 am
+1.

Preparing floors to clean. For corners, under cabinet toe kicks, behind doors, and other places a robot vacuum can't reach, I run a broom through it and sweep everything into an open floor area.

Cleaning higher surfaces. If I notice dust/spider webs, I'll use a broom, and handheld hair dryer (long extension cord) and dust mop.
--Start high and work down.
--Spider webs on ceiling are knocked down with broom.
--Dust mop is used to agitate stubborn dust not easily dislodged by the hair dryer (window blinds,...).
--Hair dryer blows (agitated) dust onto floor, from higher surfaces, furniture, and other awkward places robot vacuum can't reach.

Elapsed time/room: ~2mins.

Then I start robot vacuum cleaning cycle to scoop up the floor dust. It if misses some dust the first time, it'll get it next time.

General cleaning supplies.

I like the toilet tank Chlorox bleach tables to remove stains from toilet bowl. I replace them every 6mos.
See: https://www.google.com/search?q=clorox+toilet+tablets

I like Libman's broom/dustpan combo, and it's Nitty Gritty sponge mop.
--Broom/dustpan for occasional dry messes.
--Sponge mop for occasional wet messes.

My housecleaning rule of thumb: If my dishes are cleaned and put away, dust is too small for me to see and robot vacuum to pick up, and toilet bowl is clean/shiny, then my house is clean enough.
dratkinson wrote: "...I like Libman's broom/dustpan combo..."

I have a set in my room. Gives me a fighting chance to clean something up before DW sees it!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

True enough about "clean enough." Its a difficult adjustment...I no longer clean the baseboards all the time or dust the wooden chair stretchers. I gave up polishing the windows for the most part.
hudson

Post by hudson »

For corners high and low and in between, I use a Dyson V6 with the combination tool...either brush or not.
I circle the interior of the house getting all of the edges and corners. Then I'll use the wide motor head to do the floors. To actually wash the corners, it's hands and knees or a washcloth on the end of my foot?

The Bona spray mop does corners OK. I use it for hardwood floors with the spray, wash the removable cloth, and do tile floors with soap and water.
https://www.dyson.com/vacuum-cleaners/a ... y3EALw_wcB

The Dyson V6 is no longer available. The D7 or the lightest available would do the job.https://www.dyson.com/vacuum-cleaners/c ... lsrc=aw.ds
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Thanks, but I'm not ready to hire help yet. I've been working on leg strength at the gym which helps a tad (still isn't a pretty sight be getting up). My neighbor got this at Home Depot and its worth a try:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/300-lbs-Cap ... cale=en-US
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Ha! I do this. We have reusable Swiffer style mop pads that Velcro to the base of the device. I'll just plop it on the ground and use my feet around the edges.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

What about those long-handled sponges meant for doing dishes - not a solid sponge, it is a clump of sponge "fingers" at the end of a stick. It could be dipped in cleaner, or cleaner sprayed on the floor, then lean over a little and ream out the corner or run it under the cabinet edge. Hmm this has got me thinking.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

3hrs wrote:
I too gave up cleaning floors on my hands and knees. Here's what I do instead on our hardwood and tile floors.
Vacuum the floors with the floor attachment and the baseboards, top of window and door moldings with the brush attachment. Extra credit for the tops and bottoms of the edges of raised panels on doors and the trim above the beadboard half wall and any stray cobwebs along the ceiling, Now to wash the floors: I use a Bissel Steam Mop (with distilled water) and swipe each section of floor forward and back 3 times. I use the high temperature setting on the tile and the next lower (mid) setting for the hardwood floors, changing to a clean mop cover from the tile to the wood. The mop head rotates to get into the tight corners, and if I lift the mop a few inches I can get the underside of floor cabinets with the upper side of the mop cover. It is also easy to steam clean the floor of the cabinet under the sink where we store the trash. The steam mop also does a good cleaning the tiled floor of our bathrooms / showers. Much quicker and faster than hands and knees!
Thank you for your post. Which Bissel Steam mop did you buy?

Almost there
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

Almost there wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:34 pm 3hrs wrote:
Thank you for your post. Which Bissel Steam mop did you buy?

Almost there
I have a Bissell PowerFresh 1940 Series, purchased 12/2018. We purchased extra generic mop pads. We do not use the PowerFresh function (something to do with fragrance discs).
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

https://youtu.be/E3zMyTZk9l4

Not a serious product recommendation (although I guess it could be) -- just something I remember.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

3hrs wrote:
Now to wash the floors: I use a Bissel Steam Mop (with distilled water) and swipe each section of floor forward and back 3 times.
I am in the middle of looking at 2 Bissell Steam Mops:

Bissell power Fresh Steam Mop 1940A
Bissell Steam Mop #1806

Are either one you own or can you recommend the one you have?

Almost there
3hrs

Post by 3hrs »

Almost there wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:46 pm 3hrs wrote:
Now to wash the floors: I use a Bissel Steam Mop (with distilled water) and swipe each section of floor forward and back 3 times.
I am in the middle of looking at 2 Bissell Steam Mops:

Bissell power Fresh Steam Mop 1940A
Bissell Steam Mop #1806

Are either one you own or can you recommend the one you have?

Almost there
I'm happy with the 1940 model. I did not find the 1940A model on the Bissell website to compare with what I own.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

One way, depending on the difficulty of getting up and down is to use a small stool with rollers, sitting on it and moving around while you clean.

Tim
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

3hrs: I found the 1040A on Amazon and it’s the model I lean to buying. I thank you for your input.

Is it preferable to purchase it from Bissell vs Amazon?
Almost there
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Have you looked at any of the triangle floor scrubber products that I designed for corners?

Here is one example on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098JXN2HP/re ... CX79F5B1_0

That was just the first one on the search, not a recommendation for it specifically.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Thank you. Don’t really need it.

Almost there
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

LilyFleur wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:05 pm

Yes! I love mine!
I made my own by standing on a couple of dish towels. Kitchen floor is clean in a flash!
Trism

Post by Trism »

One of the most satisfying decisions I've made is hiring house cleaners, and then mentally holding them to a standard that's about 85% of what I would expect from myself.