What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mkc

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by mkc »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:35 pm
tooluser wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:27 pm
mkc wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:54 pm LeftFest

We had dinner comprised of multiple small amounts of leftovers. We have LeftFest every 10-14 days.
When I was growing up my Mom had a leftovers rule that worked well. Leftovers could be served once, and then once again if transformed into something else (usually just mixed together). After that, to the dog or the garbage.
Leftovers aren't all created equal. Some things are actually better the 2nd time. Most things aren't. I try to cook accordingly. I make extra of things that are good/decent reheated and less of things that are horrible as leftovers.
Ditto.

I probably should clarify that the 10-14 days is not the age of the leftovers; it's how often we have 2-3 day old small quantities of things that are still tasty or are easily transformed.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

mkc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:27 am

We had dinner comprised of multiple small amounts of leftovers. We have LeftFest every 10-14 days.
When I was growing up my Mom had a leftovers rule that worked well. Leftovers could be served once, and then once again if transformed into something else (usually just mixed together). After that, to the dog or the garbage.
Leftovers aren't all created equal. Some things are actually better the 2nd time. Most things aren't. I try to cook accordingly. I make extra of things that are good/decent reheated and less of things that are horrible as leftovers.
Ditto.

I probably should clarify that the 10-14 days is not the age of the leftovers; it's how often we have 2-3 day old small quantities of things that are still tasty or are easily transformed.
During the school year, I typically take the previous night's leftovers for lunch the next day. Now that we're all home for summer vacation, I have what I term "clean out the fridge night" a few times a week. You can imagine the looks my husband and kids give me! :happy
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:52 am

Ditto.

During the school year, I typically take the previous night's leftovers for lunch the next day. Now that we're all home for summer vacation, I have what I term "clean out the fridge night" a few times a week. You can imagine the looks my husband and kids give me! :happy
One of my fondest childhood memories is the “salad” my Dad made with leftover meat and vegetables.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Today took a bunch of credit card cash back I had sitting collecting dust and bought some VTSAX. Usually I just use that cash to buy stuff I probably don't need.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Ditto.

I cook the majority of our food on Sunday morning and it's put in tupperware to be eaten throughout the week. So, technically most of the food we eat is "leftovers". If you have no problem eating the same things over and over again, meal planning saves so much time and money.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Recently the motherboard in a pc that I built in 2015 failed, and it was old enough that I decided to upgrade to a new (used) PC. Rather than simply discard the old unit, I removed several parts and listed them for sale on eBay. Sold the cpu yesterday; maybe the other 4 items will also sell.
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

Replaced a heat defroster in my GE fridge instead of calling out a repairman. $20 part as opposed to a $150 service charge.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

We replaced our dishwasher recently (not frugal).
DH installed it himself instead of paying the installation charge (frugal).
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

DesertDiva wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 am We replaced our dishwasher recently (not frugal).
Last week I did the same. I also declined Home Depot's offer to pay them $35 to haul the old DW away. I removed several parts that I will be listing for sale on eBay, and municipal trash collection took the old DW away at no charge.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

We do the same thing except we call it smorgasbord night!
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

I use the Breathe Right nose strips from Costco. Well after testing, I found that I can cut them in half lengthwise and achieve the same results.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

Strength workout at the park. That's frugal, but the real reason to post is: I used a homemade TRX-style suspension system. It was made with: Leftover PVC pipe from plumbing (handles), some nylon webbing I found helping my dad clean his basement; 2 caribiners I'd kept from my climbing days 20 years ago; 2 locking parachuting buckles (for easy adjustment), $7+ shipping. For comparison, a TRX system starts at $100. I even saved on thread by learning to tie an alpine butterfly loop knot.

There is a bunch of learning to understand how to control your body for effective suspension workouts. But then you can go to the park!
Zhuang

Post by Zhuang »

Took the public transportation from airport to home for $2.50 instead of Uber :D
FrankinFl

Post by FrankinFl »

I got a senior coffee at Chick-fil-A for 88 cents
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Earlier this week, BH hosted a Zoom chat with JL Collins. Enjoyed an evening of listening to a wonderful author, enjoying the virtual company of members of this forum, and continuously learning about personal finance/frugality topics for free!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I fixed my central A/C. Of course, it stopped working on one of the hottest days of the year. I figured it would not be easy to get someone to come out. I did some Googling and troubleshooting. I was 90% sure it was the capacitor. I ordered one for $20 on Amazon which came the next day and installed it in less than 10 minutes. I figure it saved around $250.

Maybe I am paranoid, but the paying of $250 wouldn't have killed me. The thing is, I worry that some yahoo comes out and says I need a whole new unit or some expensive part when it is really a $20 part and I'd be none the wiser.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

I cut my kitchen sponge in half. I don’t like the size any way so the smaller size works better & I get two for the price of one.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:45 am I fixed my central A/C. Of course, it stopped working on one of the hottest days of the year. I figured it would not be easy to get someone to come out. I did some Googling and troubleshooting. I was 90% sure it was the capacitor. I ordered one for $20 on Amazon which came the next day and installed it in less than 10 minutes. I figure it saved around $250.

Maybe I am paranoid, but the paying of $250 wouldn't have killed me. The thing is, I worry that some yahoo comes out and says I need a whole new unit or some expensive part when it is really a $20 part and I'd be none the wiser.
I just finished fixing a 2T unit that cools an area in the house we rarely use, so no hurry. A few years ago I replaced the condenser fan. The AC is original at 27 years old, and I was expecting to have to replace it. It needed a new contactor, and after that went in I also replaced the compressor run capacitor. So $120 in parts and maybe it will run thru the end of another decade. :D
wander

Post by wander »

Do nothing is frugal. :D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:35 am
DesertDiva wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 am We replaced our dishwasher recently (not frugal).
Last week I did the same. I also declined Home Depot's offer to pay them $35 to haul the old DW away. I removed several parts that I will be listing for sale on eBay, and municipal trash collection took the old DW away at no charge.
I did the same as well a few years ago. In fact I always install my own dishwashers as it is not difficult.
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

First I took the bus to the downtown library, which is free in Charlottesville for the next 4 years, thanks to a grant they received.So zero for gas and zero for parking.

Then I got out an audio copy of The Dubliners by James Joyce to download and listen to on daily walks. Also read the weekend edition of WSJ and FT while at library.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I plan on making bread pudding for brunch today, utilizing the older but still usable bread in my bread drawer. I'm using our fresh eggs from the farm, too!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Surfcaster

Post by Surfcaster »

Bought a clothesline and hung clothes out to dry. One of the AC units has gotten very weak and not blowing air straight out of the house should help. Also looking into purchasing new outside unit online and hiring someone to install it.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

It started out un-frugal -- I bought the wrong steaks. I thought I was getting the on-sale $6.84/lb bone-in rib eyes but I actually picked up the $11.99/lb boneless rib eyes. They were finely marbled and caught my eye, versus the sale steaks that were not and did not. I later realized that I spent nearly twice as much as I wanted to. But it was my fault so I kept them and cooked them on the grill today and ate one.

Wow was it good! Better than most steaks in a restaurant. So in some sense I saved twice the price by not eating in a restaurant, or not being tempted any time soon. I will reheat the other one tomorrow, low and slow in a frying pan, for another great meal. I have done this before and it works very well, though you lose any pink.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Had my eye on some items in a thrift store. I don't really need anything, so I wait each month for the price to drop. July 1, the items were suppose to be 75% off, alas, someone got them last month at 50% off, so I saved a few bucks there. I saw a nice wood cane half price at $4, so I bought that. It saved me having to spend more somewhere else. If I waited until August when it was 75% off, someone would have grabbed it.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Brew fresh coffee at home using French press
Make turkey sandwich for dinner instead eat out
Boil Costco corn and chill the corn flavored water for drinking in the evening.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Wife needed new razors. Was going to head down to WalMart, but I suggested we try the local scratch/dent/fell off the back of the truck store. Found Dorco Pace-6 https://www.amazon.com/Dorco-Pace-Syste ... L25V4?th=1 (this exact pack, handle and four cartridges) for $3.99. We bought all 9 they had on the shelf.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I made Kvass. Kvass is a fermented drink made from the leftover ends of bread loafs. It's Russia's equivalent to a soft drink. Kvass is made with 3 L of water, 300 g of toasted bread, 80 g of molasses, an ounce of raisins or dried fruit, and of course bread yeast. It tastes like beer without the hops and without the buzz depending on how much sugar you add. The more sugar you add, the higher the alcohol content. Made with the recipe above, it has about 1% percent alcohol, the same as most fruit juices.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

Ependytis wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:27 am I made Kvass. Kvass is a fermented drink made from the leftover ends of bread loafs. It's Russia's equivalent to a soft drink. Kvass is made with 3 L of water, 300 g of toasted bread, 80 g of molasses, an ounce of raisins or dried fruit, and of course bread yeast. It tastes like beer without the hops and without the buzz depending on how much sugar you add. The more sugar you add, the higher the alcohol content. Made with the recipe above, it has about 1% percent alcohol, the same as most fruit juices.
It seems crazy to me that I’m as old as I am (I’m old) and didn’t know fruit juice had about 1% alcohol content. Love some of the things I learn here!
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Used twice this morning coffee filter. Boom!
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:01 am Wife needed new razors. Was going to head down to WalMart, but I suggested we try the local scratch/dent/fell off the back of the truck store. Found Dorco Pace-6 https://www.amazon.com/Dorco-Pace-Syste ... L25V4?th=1 (this exact pack, handle and four cartridges) for $3.99. We bought all 9 they had on the shelf.
You can get a 100 pack of razors for like $10-$12...

The handle is another $10-$15 and last a lifetime.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Johndoefire65 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:36 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:01 am Wife needed new razors. Was going to head down to WalMart, but I suggested we try the local scratch/dent/fell off the back of the truck store. Found Dorco Pace-6 https://www.amazon.com/Dorco-Pace-Syste ... L25V4?th=1 (this exact pack, handle and four cartridges) for $3.99. We bought all 9 they had on the shelf.

Getting 100 single blades for $10-$12 and buying 6-blade cartridges are two very different things. I generally use 2 blade cartridges and a single >$.30 cartridge lasts me several months (shaving costs me like $2 a year). My wife will not use less than 6-blades and she tosses them after a few uses :oops: I bought 36 cartridges yesterday, I can almost guarantee that stash will not last her a year, but I'll take the small win.
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 am

Getting 100 single blades for $10-$12 and buying 6-blade cartridges are two very different things. I generally use 2 blade cartridges and a single >$.30 cartridge lasts me several months (shaving costs me like $2 a year). My wife will not use less than 6-blades and she tosses them after a few uses :oops: I bought 36 cartridges yesterday, I can almost guarantee that stash will not last her a year, but I'll take the small win.
How do you keep tuem from getting dull? I dry them off after each use and they still get dull quickly. Or is your skin hard as leather :p
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Shared 3 main dinner dishes between our family of four!
Helps in many ways, most importantly trying not to overeat, or have to doggy bag back to our hotel ;)
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
young danny

Post by young danny »

Chose the least expensive gas station on the shopping route instead of the one that is the closest to where we lived. Saved seven cents per gallon!

Also I’m the same weight as I was in college, so, the only new clothes I get outside of for work are ones that have developed holes in the them.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Topped off my SUV last night for the equivalent of $0.92/gal. I smile every time I drive my EV past the gas station I used to use.

Only gas I've bought in the past 14 months is for my mower and power washer.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Johndoefire65 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:12 pm

How do you keep tuem from getting dull? I dry them off after each use and they still get dull quickly. Or is your skin hard as leather :p
I dry them and yes, my skin is like leather. I've shaved dry for many years and never had any reaction (as far as I can remember).
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Can you recycle hers for your personal use---hand-me-down razor blades?
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

The razor blade discussion is interesting. I bought a well known store brand one time and it tore up my face. Obviously, it might depend on your skin and level of hair. Though I buy razors on sale/deal, I won't just buy any cheapo razor. They are not all created equal.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dratkinson wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:34 pm

Can you recycle hers for your personal use---hand-me-down razor blades?
Interestingly, we had this conversation yesterday when she told me she needed razors. So, I will be using her "hand-me-down" razors moving forward - they are much fancier than the ones I get (usually Solimo 2-blade cartridges).
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Re razor blades: I hadn’t thought of it as a frugal thing, but I guess letting my beard grow is frugal.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Brushed my teeth.
I have had periodontal problems in the past but not in the last thirty years. The pain and cost of treatments is mitigated by very simple hygiene.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Milk is going sour so I mixed it with water I catch from the AC drainage line and watered some plants outside with it. The soil is calcium deficient and this won't hurt.

Walmart had summer flip-flops on sale for $9, bought a pair. Going sailing for a week and wanted something that looks new but if it washes overboard it would not be a great loss.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Started a project of "unsubscribing" to the many retail sites I've signed up for in the past two years, mainly from pandemic related ennui. Less temptation to spend.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Trism

Post by Trism »

Yesterday I acted on several cash-back offers on various credit cards.

10% (up to $6) back at Petco on three cards (two Chase and one Bank of America).** Stocked up on Orijen dry cat food in three separate transactions, and did store pickup to save another 10% (yes, I know, cost of gas, but I had other errands so I was out anyway).

$10 back on a $50+ gas purchase on my US Bank card. Accidentally overshot and put $50.45 in the tank, so there's that. :p I have the same offer an another US Bank card, and I'll use that next time.

** After I got home I noticed the same offer on three other cards. :shock: Debating whether I should buy another 36# of food for our two cats.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

I bought 2 excellent bottles of champagne for my wife’s birthday. A $535 investment that will pay dividends on the relationship with her and her family. A frugal investment in good memories.
Wannaretireearly

Picasso wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:53 am I bought 2 excellent bottles of champagne for my wife’s birthday. A $535 investment that will pay dividends on the relationship with her and her family. A frugal investment in good memories.
Love this! 🍾 🥂
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Wannaretireearly

Used Instacart for the first time. Cheaper than alternatives on our current trip away from home. Kinda frugal, maybe ;)
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:23 am Used Instacart for the first time. Cheaper than alternatives on our current trip away from home. Kinda frugal, maybe ;)
Don't they add a charge on each item over the underlying store (which you cannot see as it is baked into the price) and a delivery charge or monthly fee? Then there is a tip. They may give the first delivery free, but I don't think it is frugal at all. YMMV
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Picasso wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:53 am I bought 2 excellent bottles of champagne for my wife’s birthday. A $535 investment that will pay dividends on the relationship with her and her family. A frugal investment in good memories.
Outstanding! Hope you paired the bubbly with with a Costco rotisserie chicken, in true Boglehead fashion :D