What recent technology has improved your life and how?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ependytis

Re: What recent technology has improved your life and how?

Post by Ependytis »

hunoraut wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:17 am
Sleepless wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:10 am
CloseEnough wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:59 am Digital thermometer, amazing gadget. In addition to grilled food, I have used it to check water temp in hot tub and when changing tropical fish tank water, checked the temperature of box red wine in fridge (to get highest spot for storage), checked soil temperature for spring planting.
Still using an analog thermometer to check for fever. Never got used to digital ones. Not sure why but they don't seem trustworthy.
I also use an analog thermometer for measuring milk temperature when frothing milk.

Someone please convince me why digital thermometers are a new paradigm.

faster measurement
higher legibility
integration into remote function, alarm, etc
The issue I have with digital thermometers for measuring a fever is that every time I need them the battery is dead. With the old analog thermometer, this is never an issue.
dragant

Post by dragant »

Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) - I installed LVP and replaced all the carpet in my townhome. My dog doesn't scratch it up, my kid can spill things without me running around, and it so easy to clean with a robotic vacuum.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

jayjayc wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:44 pm Video conferencing (Zoom) - The combo of the pandemic and video conferencing allowed many people to work from home. I love being able to step out of my home office and see my family. I've always hated commuting so this tech has really improved my life.
Yes! I am able to work hybrid now due to zoom. I love that I can do this now. I also enjoy my apple devices.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Topic Author
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

dragant wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:18 pm Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) - I installed LVP and replaced all the carpet in my townhome. My dog doesn't scratch it up, my kid can spill things without me running around, and it so easy to clean with a robotic vacuum.
I just got a robotic vacuum. It's a total game changer. Never complains, you never have to remind it to clean, and it cleans for hours. Heck, it even goes under the bed and cleans and around the legs of dressers. I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Fuller floor sweeper:
great for bare wood floors; none electric.
design could be 120 years old.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Ependytis wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:14 pm What recent technology has improved your life and how? I am referring to technology your grandparents wouldn't have had. I am trying to identify those types of technology I can purchase to improve my life. Below are some examples.

Apple iPhone/Computer – it serves as a phone, replaces my landline, acts as a GPS, camera, notetaker, and allows voice to text.

Insta pot – it allows me to cook beans, make yogurt, and make rice with very little effort.

Digital cooking thermometer – it allows me to cook meats perfectly with little or no effort.

Internet – it allows me to search for almost anything and become familiar with the topic and allows me to work from home with video conferencing.
Smartphone. Being able to view pics and real-time video of our kids and grandkid (who are spread from coast to coast) daily gives DW and yours truly immeasurable joy. Sure beats using a film camera/Instamatic (which is what my parents had to rely on to see their grandkids on a semi-regular basis).
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Toric lens implants to correct my severe astigmatism when cataract surgery was performed.

Eyeglass-free for the first time in > 50 years except for the occasional use of readers. There is nothing close for second place.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Central air conditioning, something my grandparents never had.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I was explaining email attachments, outlook conference scheduling and teams calls to my dad today. It’s all so impressive as our discussion reminded me but I take it for granted. Then I took a virtual yoga class on zoom after work in the comfort of my own home and my cookies arrived from Walmart. Mrs. Jetson has nothing on me.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Laparoscopic surgery. Also CPAP machines.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

Ubiquitous zip-lock plastic bags!
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Things I use almost every day:

1. Roku. Easiest way to cut the cord and just use the internet for TV subscriptions. It has an excellent search feature to find movies, actors, etc. on most platforms (Netflix, Prime, etc.)

Only downside is that when using private listening (using Airpods or simply plugging earphones into the remote), the TV speakers are turned off. So the hard of hearing can't listen independent of the others in the room. Roku needs to fix this.

2. VPN. Easy to use, economical way to help improve internet security, eliminate tracking (mostly), etc. Simple software downloads to all devices. (Or there are hardware ways to have everything going through the router pass through a VPN.)

3. Stainless steel Bento boxes, or Ikea has similar stainless steel or glass. (Not every day, but when I take lunch with me.) Helps eliminate plastic for food and future.
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

GPS tracker for my dog

Wireless video camera - Go Pro

Streaming services of all kinds
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Ependytis wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:51 pm
dragant wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:18 pm Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) - I installed LVP and replaced all the carpet in my townhome. My dog doesn't scratch it up, my kid can spill things without me running around, and it so easy to clean with a robotic vacuum.
I just got a robotic vacuum. It's a total game changer. Never complains, you never have to remind it to clean, and it cleans for hours. Heck, it even goes under the bed and cleans and around the legs of dressers. I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.
Venmo. Robot vacuums only work when things are picked up off the floor. So I use Venmo to pay cleaners every two weeks, forcing me to get things off the floor before they come.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

1. Being able to use a security key or authenticator app. (e,g,Authy) as part of the login process for websites. I worry less about website security. Wish more sites were set up to use them.

2. Backup camera on my sedan. The way body designs were going, it was getting somewhat difficult to safely and easily back up without a camera.

3. Roku and streaming TV. Made it easier to save money by getting away from expensive cable and satellite TV. I now have more shows to chose from, and like another person mentioned, with Roku it's easy to search for something in particular. Also, it gives easy access to a lot of free content. (Of course I guess it all could be virtually free if I only used an antennae.)

4. Solar-powered exterior camera. My particular camera isn't a very good security device because notifications are too delayed, and it doesn't always detect movement and turn on like it is supposed to. However, it does come in handy to keep an eye on our cats when they are out. For example, checking to see if one is waiting at a door to get let inside. Incidentally, I got the camera for free after complaining about its deficiencies as a security device. They refunded my money, and told me just to keep it. (Feel a little guilty about that now.) :D
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:52 pm I was explaining email attachments, outlook conference scheduling and teams calls to my dad today. It’s all so impressive as our discussion reminded me but I take it for granted. Then I took a virtual yoga class on zoom after work in the comfort of my own home and my cookies arrived from Walmart. Mrs. Jetson has nothing on me.
So the Brussels arrived? Yum! :)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:21 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:52 pm I was explaining email attachments, outlook conference scheduling and teams calls to my dad today. It’s all so impressive as our discussion reminded me but I take it for granted. Then I took a virtual yoga class on zoom after work in the comfort of my own home and my cookies arrived from Walmart. Mrs. Jetson has nothing on me.
So the Brussels arrived? Yum! :)
The very same!
Only Samantha Stevens gets them quicker.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

incaroads wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:50 pm Noise-canceling headphones and earbuds. They're like magic.
+1

Also like my internet controlled thermostat so I can adjust the temperature when I'm coming back from a trip.
JayB

Post by JayB »

Bluetooth connections in cars
Key fobs that won't let us lock ourselves out of a car
SodaStream for making our own sparkling water
Contactless payments by phone or credit card
Cheap LED light bulbs
Infrared thermometers
Triple pane windows for blocking noise and cold
Electronic tuning devices for musical instruments
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Youtube Premium

Multipure.com water filter

Insta-hot and insta-cold faucets in the kitchen hooked up to above multipure water filter

Electronic shifting (sram axs) on my mountain bike

Traeger 575 wood pellet smoker cooker
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Ependytis wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:14 pm What recent technology has improved your life and how? I am referring to technology your grandparents wouldn't have had.
A monoclonal antibody medication approved for medical use against cancer in 1997 probably saved my life.

There are many thousands of technology innovations in the years since my grandparents - too many to list. But none have been as personally impactful.

I do enjoy my Kindle, GPS, and personal computers - none of which my grandparents ever used. I don't remember if they ever owned a color television.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

No one has mentioned the microwave oven? Great for heating and re-heating food, etc. Also the ubiquitous gas grill which replaced Hibachis and charcoal. Of course those have been around for 50 years or more so not really recent.
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

pshonore wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:33 am No one has mentioned the microwave oven? Great for heating and re-heating food, etc.
My grandma had a microwave oven. :happy
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:09 am
Ependytis wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:14 pm What recent technology has improved your life and how? I am referring to technology your grandparents wouldn't have had.
A monoclonal antibody medication approved for medical use against cancer in 1997 probably saved my life.

There are many thousands of technology innovations in the years since my grandparents - too many to list. But none have been as personally impactful.

I do enjoy my Kindle, GPS, and personal computers - none of which my grandparents ever used. I don't remember if they ever owned a color television.
Awesome! :) :) :)
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

There have been a lot of posts lately about HVAC and maintenance, etc.

Here is a technological advance that I just love love love. I recommend it to you all. (Link below, but it is available from many retailers).

https://www.bigfrogsupply.com/products/ ... kwQAvD_BwE

It’s a transparent condensate pipe and trap for your central HVAC. So you can quickly and easily see if it is clogging up. And if it is, it comes with clean outs and a brush, so you can take care of it yourself in about 30 seconds.

The one I have even has a shut-off switch in it, so it will shut down the HVAC if that pipe gets clogs. Potentially preventing water damage.
Markus003

Post by Markus003 »

I recently replaced my 6 year old Wi-Fi Router with a "Mesh system". This has made a tremendous improvement to the 3 or sometimes 4 people working from home here. The old Router was choking the speed at 40Mbps, now we have 250-300Mbps throughout the house. A nice upgrade.
And of course I really enjoy all the LED lighting throughout the house, which I upgraded over the last couple of years.