Oregon coast summer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bi0hazard

Oregon coast summer

Post by bi0hazard »

BHs:

I'm thinking about spending 7-9 days @ Oregon Coast with the family. I was going to do North Cali and Oregon, but that's probably too ambitious. Anyway looking for ideas. Not sure whether I should set up one HQ and explore from there for the week, or move around a few times. Goal would be to explore cool beaches, nature, lighthouses.

Also, would entertain doing N. Cali, start from Big Sur and then move north...

Theme: Cool weather, low human population.

thanks!
B=-
Last edited by bi0hazard on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
Watty

Re: Oregon coast summer

Post by Watty »

Where would you be starting from?

If you are flying into Portland then be sure that you can get a rental car at an acceptable price and make your reservation ASAP since those can be in real short supply this year.

If you are flying in and out of Portland you might also consider a few days in the Columbia River Gorge. The Portland airport is right at the end of the gorge so you can spend your last night at someplace like Cascade Locks(very small and limited hotels) or Hood River and then drive to the airport to catch your flight home.
Topic Author
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

Thanks. Starting from Portland airport - renting a car.
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
orlandoguy

Post by orlandoguy »

Currently in Gleneden Beach for two nights as part of an extended trip to the Pacific Northwest. Enjoying the cool weather, ocean and inland hiking. Did a 3-mile hike this morning to a dramatic waterfall viewed from a 240-foot long suspension bridge that sits 100 feet above the gorge. Enjoying the coffee, beer, and food in Lincoln City and Depoe Bay. Flew into Portland and drove the 2.5 hours to the coast yesterday and looking forward to experiencing some Willamette Valley wineries on the way back to Portland tomorrow.

Confirming that having a rental car reserved is a prerequisite for this trip at this time.

Enjoy!

Orlandoguy
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

The coast is long, and driving can be slow, both due to wanting to stop at viewpoints and due to traffic.

If you want to just relax and enjoy a single section of the coast more fully, by all means stay in one town and focus on that area. If you want to sample the full length of the Oregon coast, I would plan a series of 1-3 night stops to explore the coast in sections so that individual day trips can be kept short, interspersed with longer drives to move to the next stop.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

There’s a YouTuber named Travelling Robert that did a halfway decent Oregon coast video last summer. He hit lots of spots along the entire coast. Track down his video.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

bi0hazard wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:33 pm Thanks. Starting from Portland airport - renting a car.
You may find it better to rent from a location away from the airport, if your schedule permits.

When I visited Portland six years ago, I used Enterprise on 102nd Ave. which is a short walk (less than a half mile) from a light rail station. I didn't have to schlep my bags there because I went to my hotel first from the airport, via the light rail. I picked up the car a few days later for a series of out-of-town day trips, then returned it a couple of days before I flew home.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

bi0hazard wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:54 pm BHs:

I'm thinking about spending 7-9 days @ Oregon Coast with the family. I was going to do North Cali and Oregon, but that's probably too ambitious. Anyway looking for ideas. Not sure whether I should set up one HQ and explore from there for the week, or move around a few times. Goal would be to explore cool beaches, nature, lighthouses.

thanks!
B=-
What is the situation with wild fire smoke? Will that be an issue?

The Western US is in the once in (what used to be) 1000 year drought condition. So wildfires are a given, at least in some places.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We're heading out there tomorrow actually. Flying into Portland and have a rental car lined up. I have been pondering if visiting Fort Clatsop is worth the drive out to the coast from Portland? We are planning to visit it and Tolovana Beach State Park, site where some of Goonies was filmed, on one day and try to find a nice seaside restaurant. Much of the rest of our vacation though will be spent elsewhere than the coast.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:14 am

The coast will be cooler weather, but the humans are normal height.
Rarely do wildfires reach the coast. The prevailing winds are to the East, so smoke usually blows over Nevada and Idaho.
I recommend 'Circles in the Sand' during low tides in Bandon, Oregon, if you like artistic temporary labyrinths.
Northern California has coastal redwoods if you get down to Crescent City or Klamath with family.
GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 »

bi0hazard wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:54 pm

thanks!
B=-

The Western US is in the once in (what used to be) 1000 year drought condition. So wildfires are a given, at least in some places.
The wildfires are about not putting a fire out. If you search for the last 2 large fires they were identified 30 days before they got too large to put out. After the Tillamook burn years Oregon put out any fire it found. That is not the case now.
John | * Friends and family and money | * What you recommend will have periods of underperformance. You will be blamed. | * You avoid the suspicion of "self-serving." by Taylor Larimore
FrodoKenobi

Post by FrodoKenobi »

Oswald West State Park, on the coast, a little south of Astoria, is a gem. Nearby Netarts Bay is also really nice.
Watty

Post by Watty »

22twain wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:56 pm
bi0hazard wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:33 pm Thanks. Starting from Portland airport - renting a car.
You may find it better to rent from a location away from the airport, if your schedule permits.

When I visited Portland six years ago, I used Enterprise on 102nd Ave. which is a short walk (less than a half mile) from a light rail station. I didn't have to schlep my bags there because I went to my hotel first from the airport, via the light rail. I picked up the car a few days later for a series of out-of-town day trips, then returned it a couple of days before I flew home.
I have also done things like that but it helped that I knew the city.

You can also get a one day rental car at the airport that you drop off the next day at an off-airport location then pick up a week long rental. You can then usually drop it off at the airport on your way out of town. You will get the best rate for a rental that is exactly seven days or a multiple of seven days.

You need to know exactly where the other rental car office is at and the hours that it is open. It could be in a hotel lobby or someplace like a car dealership and only open limited hours.

That said with the current rental car shortage I would likely just get the rental at the airport if there was not a huge savings. The problem is that even if you have a reservation somewhere else a small office could be out of cars or not have the type of car you need. The airport will likely have the best selection of cars and if your flight is delayed six hours they will not be closed when you arrive or cancel your reservation.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

GMCZ71 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:16 am
bi0hazard wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:54 pm

thanks!
B=-

The wildfires are about not putting a fire out. If you search for the last 2 large fires they were identified 30 days before they got too large to put out. After the Tillamook burn years Oregon put out any fire it found. That is not the case now.
Agree with the above, but in general the Oregon coast is the least impacted by smoke. Last year during the bootleg fire the Willamette Valley was getting a lot of smoke, we could drive to the coast to escape it.
Topic Author
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

OP here. thank you.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:37 am We're heading out there tomorrow actually. Flying into Portland and have a rental car lined up. I have been pondering if visiting Fort Clatsop is worth the drive out to the coast from Portland? We are planning to visit it and Tolovana Beach State Park, site where some of Goonies was filmed, on one day and try to find a nice seaside restaurant. Much of the rest of our vacation though will be spent elsewhere than the coast.
Not on it's own, because it is relatively modest historical interpretive site. However, there is a lot to see in that general area, so as one part of a day trip, it is worth stopping by.

And if you are interested in the Lewis and Clark Expedition in general, I found Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose to be a very detailed but fairly easy to read account of the voyage.
celia

Post by celia »

You might be interested in visiting the Spruce Goose in McMinnville, Oregon.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the ... lle-oregon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_H-4_Hercules
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Next time I'm in Oregon, I'm going to the Tillamook creamery for a little of every one of their products.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

heyyou wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:34 am Next time I'm in Oregon, I'm going to the Tillamook creamery for a little of every one of their products.
We were told when we visited there last year that it's the #1 most tourist-visited location in all of Oregon, and I believe it. When they opened, the line was already 50 people deep, and by 11 a.m., there were hundreds of people there. The facility has been updated in recent years, and it's not as interesting as it was before. It only took us 10 minutes to browse through the information. The prices of their products were usually double or what they were in local stores, though some products might not be offered anywhere else, like their very aged cheeses (i.e., 10 years).
The Sensible Steward
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

The southern Oregon coast is more remote, and to many beholders, more beautiful than the northern Oregon coast, but both have their beautiful areas. You could fly into Coos Bay and spend 3-4 days in Bandon, then drive south to Redwood Nat’l Park, with stops along the way. Bandon Beach is arguably the most beautiful beach in Oregon. Stay down by the beach rather than in downtown if the beach is what interests you. Return the rental car at the Arcata-Eureka airport and get your return flight from there.

Tillamook Creamery bought the Bandon Cheese Factory and shut it down eventually. Now the Face Rock Creamery stands in its place.

https://thebandonguide.com/bandon-cheese-factory/

So missing the Tillamook Cheese Factory by starting further south won’t be a loss.

Or fly into Eugene and start the trip from there.
Munir

Post by Munir »

Eugene has fairly good airline connections and is a one hour drive to Florence on the coast. You will have easy access to the middle and southern parts of the coast. Eugene is also also about a 1 1/2 hour drive to the top of the Cascades and from there to Bend and central Oregon. Be aware that the Oregon coast is different from California, cool and breezy even in summer, has long stretches of cliffs, and is more wild. It has its own beautiful characteristics.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

thanks!
B=-

While some of Oregon is still in a drought, the western half of the state has had an unbelievable amount of rain this spring and early summer. The fire season shouldn’t be too bad (fingers crossed), we do occasionally get smoke from California but not yet this year.
Scrooge McDuck

Post by Scrooge McDuck »

My favorite section of the Pacific Coast is the far northern part of California (Redwood country). But Oregon is very nice too.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Cannon Beach is our fav town in the north. Coos Bay is a good jumping off point for hikes and beaches just south. Nor Cal is best from Bowling Ball Beach south to the Bay Area.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:51 pm
lthenderson wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:37 am We're heading out there tomorrow actually. Flying into Portland and have a rental car lined up. I have been pondering if visiting Fort Clatsop is worth the drive out to the coast from Portland? We are planning to visit it and Tolovana Beach State Park, site where some of Goonies was filmed, on one day and try to find a nice seaside restaurant. Much of the rest of our vacation though will be spent elsewhere than the coast.
Not on it's own, because it is relatively modest historical interpretive site. However, there is a lot to see in that general area, so as one part of a day trip, it is worth stopping by.

And if you are interested in the Lewis and Clark Expedition in general, I found Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose to be a very detailed but fairly easy to read account of the voyage.
We're back from Oregon and ended up stopping there as part of a day trip. Spent part of the day in the Canon Beach area, Ecola State Park (filming site for a couple scenes in Goonies) and Astoria. All were great and we had a good time. I've read Undaunted Courage and also the actual journals of Lewis. While the information provided was nothing knew to me, it was still a nice stop. The best part for me was hiking along the trails attached to the site. The rest of our trip we spent inland. Such a beautiful part of our country.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:37 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:51 pm

We're back from Oregon and ended up stopping there as part of a day trip. Spent part of the day in the Canon Beach area, Ecola State Park (filming site for a couple scenes in Goonies) and Astoria. All were great and we had a good time. I've read Undaunted Courage and also the actual journals of Lewis. While the information provided was nothing knew to me, it was still a nice stop. The best part for me was hiking along the trails attached to the site. The rest of our trip we spent inland. Such a beautiful part of our country.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

If I had known your reading background, especially the actual journals (which I have not read except a few notable excerpts), I would have given it a stronger recommendation. I know Lewis made a fairly detailed account of the design of the fort, and there are lots of pictures available of the reconstruction, but seeing it brings part of their voyage to life in a way reading about it doesn't.

Also a great choice with Ecola State Park. Less busy than Canon Beach itself, and a good sample of what the coast is like.
Ronald Lee

Post by Ronald Lee »

Hope you got to get in to see the Maritime Museum in Astoria while there.
Vin61

Post by Vin61 »

You have a lot of good options between Big Sur and Astoria OR! We had a 2nd home in Manzanita OR for about 10 years. If you like to base in a smaller and quieter OR North coast town, it might be a good option. It’s sandwiched between two state parks. Easy to explore the OR coast between Astoria and Pacific City. Oswald West SP to the north of Manzanita is fantastic. There is a trail to the top of Neah-kah-nie mountain that is well worth the effort if you’re into some hiking. A bit further to the north is Short Sands Beach and Cape Falcon. Shorts Sands is a popular walk in - ~1km, surfing beach. The walk to the beach is through an impressive old growth forest of hemlocks, cedars, and Doug fir. When at the beach there is a trail that goes to the north. Great lookouts and spots to have a lunch. We have seen whales several times feeding below the cliffs at the far end of the bay. Pacific City to stick your feet in the sand and have a craft brew at Pelican Brewery. I recommend Fort George Brewery to the north in Astoria. Escola State Park, the town of Oceanside, three cape trail, and I could go on! That being said, the OR southern coast and N CA are also equally fantastic. Fewer people, but also a long drive from Portland. Manzanita should be about a 2 hour drive from PDX. Hope you have a nice trip!
Malum Prohibitum

Post by Malum Prohibitum »

Florence.

Go to the dunes south of town and rent a dune buggy (seriously, it is a lot of fun). Jessie M Honeyman State park (also south of town) is a great place to picnic or grill.

North of town - Go to Sea Lion Caves - yes, it is a tourist trap, but it is a great thing to experience once. You'll never see anything like it anywhere else, ever. Also, visit Heceta Head and the Heceta lighthouse. Look up the name Heceta before you get there.

If you are able bodied, go into the Siuslaw National Forest (mostly north of Florence, just drive in anywhere off Highway 101, just north of the bridge at Big Creek is a good spot, and Big Creek is north of Heceta Head if you need help looking for it), park anywhere that looks likely, and hike up into the forest, wilderness, without any trails. That is an experience not to be missed. If you need a trail, go up Herman Peak Rd and there is a hiking trail loop for you in the forest which is almost as good as simply heading into the wilderness.

Go inland a bit from Florence to Mapleton on highway 126 (same direction to go to Eugene), cross over the Siuslaw River, turn right, so you are following the river back in the same direction from which you came (just on the other side of the river) and follow the signs to Sweet Creek Trail, and hike it to the waterfalls. Climb up them if you dare (I did!). It's still beautiful and worthwhile to see even if you are not that adventurous.

South of Florence there is a place that rents kayaks on Siltcoos Lake, and you can take them from the lake, downriver, all the way to the ocean through the woods and dunes!

Old Town Florence, go to Moe's and order clam chowder and a beer. Breakfast, go to the Little Brown Hen Cafe on Highway 101 (excellent eggs, bacon, and toast).

Lodgings are going to be tough to find in the summer in Florence, but you might find some space available at Driftwood Shores, which is directly on the beach. Right from your back sliding glass door you can walk out onto the beach, check out massive driftwood, and walk south all the way to the north jetty of the Siuslaw River. Do it. Then walk the jetty all the way out to the end. I have almost always spotted some neat wildlife doing this, like sea lions. If you have kids they will love climbing all over the jetty. If you want to go a different direction the next morning walk north along the beach until you run into a deep blue water cold creek that cuts the beach in two.

Trout fishing on any of the lakes (and there are many around Florence) is easy fishing, literally just use a bob and hook with a worm or salmon eggs as bait, and you will likely catch rainbow trout.

If you go in August or September next time, salmon fishing on the Siuslaw River is great!