Share your Net Worth Regression

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
newyorker

Re: Share your Net Worth Regression

Post by newyorker »

Ugh its dropping again today.
austin757

Post by austin757 »

muitu wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:38 am
austin757 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:10 pm This thread reminds me of what a loser I am.

A couple years ago age 26, I hit $1 million in investments. Got up to about $1.2m before the market correction.

Now here I am and I am around $1.1m after all this time, despite investing each month. So many people in their 30s have 3-5x what I have and I realize I'll never get there. I am such a loser. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Does it seem like I am on track financially?
Cool off buddy. You had approx. 980k more than I do at age 26.
I just want to be able to survive. Times are so tough now
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

newyorker wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:22 am Ugh its dropping again today.
Fidelity somehow lost the 6-figure check my wife priority mailed them (rollover from former employer's 401k) and it has taken ~45 days to go through the hassle of getting another one. We should be mailing them check #2 in the next few days. Looks like that huge headache will actually save/make us some money.
kingkhufu14

Post by kingkhufu14 »

Maverick3320 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:20 am
kingkhufu14 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:24 am Been lurking on this forum for quite a while but felt inspired to join to add a different position than many others who have commented. I am quite early in the accumulation phase as a resident physician a year away from becoming an attending. Spouse also works full time. Student loans are such a heavy burden.

NW 12/31/21: -91,500
NW 6/28/22: -77,500

A lot of progress made from the approximately -325,000 net worth at the start of residency, but still such a long way to go!
I didn't go to med school, but I'm pretty sure a smaller negative number is not a regression, at least in terms of personal finance :sharebeer
Ha fair point. We have contributed ~$25,000 into retirement funds yet the balance has only increased by $3k YTD in a 3 fund portfolio (90% equities) that's been floating around $120k for all of 2022. Feels like pouring money into the abyss, regardless of it being the right thing to do. Hammering the student loan principal has nudged that negative number in the right direction :happy
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:04 pm
Fidelity somehow lost the 6-figure check my wife priority mailed them (rollover from former employer's 401k) and it has taken ~45 days to go through the hassle of getting another one. We should be mailing them check #2 in the next few days. Looks like that huge headache will actually save/make us some money.
They won't accept a mobile deposit via the app?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 pm
No, we've been told multiple times that we either get another check or have it wired, but we'd have to start the process over with both Transamerica and Fidelity. Nobody at Fidelity has a clue what they are talking about, and we've talked to about a dozen of them by now. One of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had; if we didn't have multiple accounts with them (pair of HSAs, her 401k and soon-to-be-rollover, rewards visa), I'd gladly send the money to Vanguard instead. But, their ridiculous mistake(s) has earned/saved us 5-figures.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:08 pm
No, we've been told multiple times that we either get another check or have it wired, but we'd have to start the process over with both Transamerica and Fidelity. Nobody at Fidelity has a clue what they are talking about, and we've talked to about a dozen of them by now. One of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had; if we didn't have multiple accounts with them (pair of HSAs, her 401k and soon-to-be-rollover, rewards visa), I'd gladly send the money to Vanguard instead. But, their ridiculous mistake(s) has earned/saved us 5-figures.
No way to take it to a Fidelity office to deposit?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Mine is sliding backwards at a fast pace. On the bright side though, if you believe in the predictive power of P/E ratios or cape, expected future returns are on the rise :)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:12 pm
stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:08 pm
No way to take it to a Fidelity office to deposit?
No clue, but it's never been presented as an option to us and the closest fidelity office is A LOT further than the post office. Mailing it is less of a hassle (then again, they may miraculously lose it again). We're not concerned about getting them the new check, them somehow misplacing the first one (with delivery confirmation) and then having no clue what to do from there (which eventually included countless calls to both Fidelity and Transamerica, multiple forms, a medallion signature, weeks of waiting for no apparent reason, etc.) was the problem. The new check is sitting on my counter, it's pretty much done at this point - and with a silver lining.
smectym

Post by smectym »

financeguy88 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:25 am Estimated down around 10 to 12% from $14m to $12.5m. My equity exposure was only around 20% to 25% but was overweight big cap tech and so is down much more than the market. We also had some big some big expenses. It sucks to see the gains disappear, but sitting on about 30% in cash as I sold some things and had a windfall bonus at the end of the year that I only partially invested. The rest is in real estate or credit funds. So far, I’ve only done tax loss harvesting, so swapping xyz big cap tech stock that’s down 40% for another one.

Its clearly a better time to buy stocks now than 6 months ago, on the other hand in old enough to remember 2000 and 2009 crashes and the market took 2.5 to 3 years to get back to prior highs. I think this correction will look more like that so I am not feeling the fomo to invest right now. I’m thinking that with the fed continuing to tighten the money supply and the consumer getting hit on oil and food inflation, it’s going to be an uphill battle for a bit. If I start to see more companies actually failing and not getting bailed out by the government, I’ll be more constructive on the markets.
Depends on how you look at the math, I guess. But if 6 months ago a new investment were destined to lose 20% over the next six
months to today; and if a new investment today would also lose 20% by six months hence: then it’s tough to see how it’s clearly a better time to buy stocks now than six months ago. Unless you have some way of knowing that “clearly” stocks won’t drop at least another 20% over the next six months.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Maverick3320 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:22 am
sureshoe wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:55 pm Isn't that the fundamental point of all these type of posts though? Slip in some humble bragging, compare portfolio sizes?

I didn't get to a reasonable place of happiness in life overall until I was around 32-35-ish and realized it's all nonsense and you have to stop looking at what other people have and you don't.
I'm sure some humble bragging is involved, but I often find it motivating to read about the success of others.
Hey, if it motivates you, great. And I'm sure I've done the humblebrag stuff too. The main thing is there is always someone richer, you can always make yourself miserable.
https://www.tiktok.com/@nicholas_crown/ ... 62?lang=en

If someone needs motivated, I recommend looking at mean and median incomes, net worth, etc. alongside your own needs/desires. Anecdotal evidence on a message board about someone buying a $50k golden butt scratcher is generally going to cause frustration.
YoungSisyphus

Post by YoungSisyphus »

Interestingly my accounts as of Monday were almost back to even where they were at the beginning of the year.

Kind of depressing throwing so much money into the pit of losses to keep it at zero, but should be thankful to be able to make good any of contributions still. I need to just filter to # of shares owned, maybe that’d make me feel better.

Edit: behaviorally I find myself still trying to tinker - anything to make this investing climate more interesting/positive. It was fun the last few years with the momentum of growth. Now the only fun is tightening the belt and keeping a stricter budget as a way to make managing money more interesting. That, and tax loss harvesting..
egri

Post by egri »

austin757 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:10 pm This thread reminds me of what a loser I am.

A couple years ago age 26, I hit $1 million in investments. Got up to about $1.2m before the market correction.

Now here I am and I am around $1.1m after all this time, despite investing each month. So many people in their 30s have 3-5x what I have and I realize I'll never get there. I am such a loser. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I was going to say, I had maybe 1/10th of that at age 26.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

egri wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:28 pm

I was worth less than zero at 26. I worked my ass of to become “worthless”, and oh man achieving that was a very happy day.
Variant

Post by Variant »

$2.5M in January. $2.196M today.

Maybe +/- since I don't muck with my home value much. It's probably worth more now than in Jan, but I suspect it will drop soon.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

Normchad wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:52 pm
egri wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:28 pm

I was worth less than zero at 26. I worked my ass of to become “worthless”, and oh man achieving that was a very happy day.
Yup. I think our net worth was about -$300k at age 26.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
sir_throckmorton

Post by sir_throckmorton »

911k End 2021
843k End June 2022
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Net worth is down 6.75% YTD despite making monthly contributions. All things considered, not too bad given the SP500 is down over 20% and bonds went down as well.
Last edited by PowderDay9 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdd

Post by mdd »

Down 23% from Jan 1 back to 12/28/20 levels based on only investment accounts. House has gone up a little and with some cash overall NW back to 3/10/21 levels.

As an interesting contrast I try to think back to the Great Recession and I don't have a good memory of how I felt. We didn't have much of a NW maybe just starting to get positive in early working careers. At the time I recall thinking I need to put as much money in the market as possible! I still kind of feel that way. Last year, mathematically we could have retired comfortably. The plan is in 5 years as a stretch goal, but no more than 10 more years. I'm watching things and still contributing nearly as much as possible with some cash build up.

Precovid peak to the 3/20/20 low we were down 20% NW.

Back up plan if these things impact retirement timeline is work a bit longer or modify retirement expectations. I'm still optimistic and try to enjoy the present.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

– 19.82% YTD
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
mushripu

Post by mushripu »

PowderDay9 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 am Net worth is down 6.75% YTD despite making monthly contributions. All things considered, not too bad given the SP500 is down over 20% and bonds went down as well.
If I count strictly NW Jan 1 Minus NW today , it is 7% ish

If I count NW Jan - NW today + new money went in YTD , Then total regression becomes 16%
ccompounder

Post by ccompounder »

-7.4% YTD
+8% YOY
ship_at_sea

Post by ship_at_sea »

Dec 2021: $774,140.83
June 2022: $701,062.29

Would be worse but I bought a house in between, and the Redfin estimate is already $54k more than I paid for it. I know this isn't exact, but it's the best estimate that I have.

Took out a 401k loan for the down payment on Jan-19-2022 (S&P closed at 4,532.76). So in some regards I got a discount.

Fidelity tells me that my portfolio is down 20% on the year. It's more fun watching the numbers go up, but I'm sleeping well.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Based on the Person Rate of Return worksheet (by longinvest I believe), trailing portfolio return:
  • YTD: -17.4%
  • 1-Year: -10.7%
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Portfolio is down about 6.2% ytd nominal. add inflation and it's uglier
I do not concern myself with primary RE , the value is dropping like most or all other areas.
egri

Post by egri »

My taxable brokerage is down about 5% YTD. The silver lining of the botched TSP redesign is I can't see how down that is too. :annoyed
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

SnowBog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:00 pm Based on the Person Rate of Return worksheet (by longinvest I believe), trailing portfolio return:
  • YTD: -17.4%
  • 1-Year: -10.7%
That’s right about where I’m at as well.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

Are most of guys back to around October 2020 level ? I am down close to -900k and the total portfolio is back to around October 2020.
egri

Post by egri »

carminered2019 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:24 pm Are most of guys back to around October 2020 level ? I am down close to -900k and the total portfolio is back to around October 2020.
That's right about where I am as well.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

carminered2019 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:24 pm Are most of guys back to around October 2020 level ? I am down close to -900k and the total portfolio is back to around October 2020.
Likely going to get responses all over the board - as I'd expect wide variations based on how much people save, how many years they've been saving, not to mention their AA and overall portfolio.

But for myself, I'd have to go back to February/March 2021. Remember those days?
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

austin757 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:52 pm

If you have 1M your times are not “tough”. Outside the bubble of this board, 95% of people never have that much in their entire lifetime. Something like 80% never get to 1/10 of that.

It took me until age 45 to reach that milestone and I am better off than almost everyone else in my extended family. Chill.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

My “regression” is about 10%.

60/40 portfolio is off about 15-20% (buoyed by having a bunch of the bond allocation in really safe stuff like TIAA trad and IBonds + 30-40% of income new contribution rate). House value is still climbing.

I think the takeaway is that if your losses are keeping you up at night your AA is not appropriate to your risk tolerance.
Bh1984

Post by Bh1984 »

jharkin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:16 am

If you have 1M your times are not “tough”. Outside the bubble of this board, 95% of people never have that much in their entire lifetime. Something like 80% never get to 1/10 of that.

It took me until age 45 to reach that milestone and I am better off than almost everyone else in my extended family. Chill.
I constantly have to share with people in different circles how our circumstances aren't the majority. We tend to surround ourselves with people like us so our views are tainted. In the case of this forum many are seeking information which also puts you in a different category from the rest.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

It is obviously down since December '21 around 22%. However, it is up around 30% since I retired almost 6 years ago which is the important thing. After taking money out for 6 years and having an almost 25% drop in stocks I feel good that my plan will work long term. I am not counting home value in this and it is probably moot in my area as prices haven't appreciated much.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I’m down about $18k (not counting contributions* or losses of purchasing power on my savings) on a 15/85 total portfolio (27/73 not counting bank savings). I’m now emboldened to switch my target AA in my securities portfolio from 30/70 to 35/65 or even 40/60. That’s a huge step for me.

*I don’t count losses including contributions because that isn’t a line item on any of my 401k or brokerage account statements.
It should be because my losses appear misleadingly small if you don’t count the fact that I lost essentially all my contributions.

Similarly, bank statements never show what you’ve lost in purchasing power to inflation but it would be unreasonable to expect them to.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Overall AA = 58/40/2

Taxable AA = 80/18/2 (muni’s)
Tax Deferred = 100% fixed income

Down 14%
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

SnowBog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:31 pm
Likely going to get responses all over the board - as I'd expect wide variations based on how much people save, how many years they've been saving, not to mention their AA and overall portfolio.

But for myself, I'd have to go back to February/March 2021. Remember those days?
Two months later from the below post when this thread got started, and we are still stuck in the same range (although at the bottom end of the range now) that we have been bouncing around in since about September 2021.
HootingSloth wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:06 am Net worth just keeps flopping around in the $1.55M to $1.65M range for the last maybe 8 months or so. Feels like 2018 a bit from that perspective: a lot of sideways with contributions battling price declines.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
RetiredAndGrumpy

Post by RetiredAndGrumpy »

Zero debt other than paying off credit cards each month. Never ever carried credit card debt from one month to next. Always paid it off each month. Net worth 1.3 million. Actually flat for the year on 401K account (up .2%). Retired. No plans to touch 401K until 65. I just live off pension. Living a simple life really…no thrills. 😬👍
Caliscotsman

Post by Caliscotsman »

it's fantastic.
Everything is on a discount!
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Bh1984 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:11 am
jharkin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:16 am

I constantly have to share with people in different circles how our circumstances aren't the majority. We tend to surround ourselves with people like us so our views are tainted. In the case of this forum many are seeking information which also puts you in a different category from the rest.

I traveled to India and to the Far East a few times for work. Great places and great folks. I was much more appreciative of what I had and what my day to day life was after watching the struggle many people had for food and shelter. As Warren Buffett says - we won the ovary lottery. Thru nothing but sheer luck. R’amen.
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Its my fault everyone. I retired at 57 last July. Since then: ballooning inflation, plummeting investment markets, and at or near recession territory. At last check my portfolio was down -12.2% since I retired, and my net worth down about 9%. Both are nominal calculations.

The three OMY ("one more year") cards I played are looking pretty good as I'm still viable thanks to a bit of oversaving and having learned to disconnect contended living from high spending. But if this keeps up too long I might be that not-so-old guy greeting you with, "Welcome to Walmart."
Don't do something. Just stand there!
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Ouch. I shouldn't have looked. Investible assets down 19%. It doesn't change my life, but it's not pretty. On the bright side, I locked in a 30-year fixed mortgage at all time low rates in 2021. Never paying that off early.
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

IlliniDave wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:10 am At last check my portfolio was down -12.2% since I retired, and my net worth down about 9%. Both are nominal calculations.
Similarly, my net worth is down 7.5% and my liquid assets are down 11.2%.
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Our liquid assets are still up about 17% since retiring about 5 years ago. 8-)
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Posts like these sometimes want to make me leave this board. Over 1 million at 26 and you feel like a loser? Maybe you want to step outside and look around you, gain some perspective :confused
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

AlohaBill wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:47 pm Our liquid assets are still up about 17% since retiring about 5 years ago. 8-)
This is a better time line to look back on
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

Peaked at around 925k

Now at 775k
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I posted a while back that my our net worth had more or less stayed the same through much of the downturn because losses were cancelling out new contributions. I just updated our financial statement, and that's still pretty much the case. We've been hovering slightly over $1m net worth for many months now. Obviously getting nowhere with new contributions and losing purchasing power to inflation isn't technically breaking even in real terms, but it's interesting how if you can keep contributing during a downturn, depending on many factors, it may very well be possible to stay mostly afloat while weathering the storm.
Evergreen2022

Post by Evergreen2022 »

471k to 377k. Even with pumping money in every month, stay the course!