Mt Washington New Hampshire Cog Railway for young kids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Edge215

Mt Washington New Hampshire Cog Railway for young kids

Post by Edge215 »

wondering if the mt washington cog railway that goes to the top is a recommended activity for a family with young kids under the age of 5. or would one of the other scenic railways in the area be more appropriate?
bradinsky

Re: Mt Washington New Hampshire Cog Railway for young kids

Post by bradinsky »

We’ve taken the family on it twice. It’s a very enjoyable departure from the norm & something our kids will remember for a lifetime. Our youngest was about 7 the first time.
Topic Author
Edge215

Post by Edge215 »

thanks. also i am all ears for recommendations in the area. santas village vs story land for instance??
Pokerfacekid

Post by Pokerfacekid »

Storyland is older but young kids enjoy it. Santa’s village is newer and Christmas themed with water park as well.
Check out Diana’s baths too.
2retire

Post by 2retire »

If you get offended easily, be aware that it is a tradition for hikers (especially thru hikers) to moon the cog railway near the top.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

2retire wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:07 pm If you get offended easily, be aware that it is a tradition for hikers (especially thru hikers) to moon the cog railway near the top.
Interesting. Never saw that in our trips. Last trip up it was 32 degrees at the top, with high winds. Probably would have frozen the exposed moons.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

We did it 5 or so years ago. I think the kids will enjoy it and it was worth it for us. It's much colder up there so check the Mt. Washington weather beforehand to bring appropriate clothing. We were fine with a light jacket when we went in June.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Edge215 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:57 pm wondering if the mt washington cog railway that goes to the top is a recommended activity for a family with young kids under the age of 5.
It's a terrific activity, and great for adults, but they are too young to enjoy it.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

Edge215 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:13 pm thanks. also i am all ears for recommendations in the area. santas village vs story land for instance??
I would definitely recommend Story Land. It is older but they do a very good job of updating it over the years. TBH my spouse grew up going there and we went back with our kid a little worried it might be old/out of date after 20 years but my kid just loved it.

If you are near Sugar Hill Pollys Pancake Parlor is a great breakfast, although can have long waits.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

2retire wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:07 pm If you get offended easily, be aware that it is a tradition for hikers (especially thru hikers) to moon the cog railway near the top.
On the other hand, it could make for a good photo op.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Don't look Ethel!!
bgaspard

Post by bgaspard »

This tradition is no longer practiced by thru hikers.
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

Hiked Mt Washington with my son in 2020 Summer when he was in high school. Took the Cog Railway down. Stayed at the big hotel at the base of the mountain. I think its called Omni Hotel. Great hotel with a lot of history. In fact...there's some financial history in that the IMF was formed based on some meetings at this hotel....I'm pretty sure. The whole area is great. You'll enjoy it. It took us 3.5 hours to hike up. I slowed my son down. I think he could have done it in half that time. I'm not sure I'd hike up with a 5 year old. Maybe 10 years old and up. Take the Cog. Enjoy!
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

cableguy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:22 pm Hiked Mt Washington with my son in 2020 Summer when he was in high school. Took the Cog Railway down. Stayed at the big hotel at the base of the mountain. I think its called Omni Hotel. Great hotel with a lot of history. In fact...there's some financial history in that the IMF was formed based on some meetings at this hotel....I'm pretty sure.
It’s the Mount Washington Hotel and the Brenton Woods agreements were created there during World War II. They established the US dollar as the world’s reserve currency, created the IMF, and laid the foundation for the World Bank that was created by the UN.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

adestefan wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:17 pm
cableguy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:22 pm Hiked Mt Washington with my son in 2020 Summer when he was in high school. Took the Cog Railway down. Stayed at the big hotel at the base of the mountain. I think its called Omni Hotel. Great hotel with a lot of history. In fact...there's some financial history in that the IMF was formed based on some meetings at this hotel....I'm pretty sure.
It’s the Mount Washington Hotel and the Brenton Woods agreements were created there during World War II. They established the US dollar as the world’s reserve currency, created the IMF, and laid the foundation for the World Bank that was created by the UN.
Omni Mount Washington Resort @ Bretton Woods. A great place with a lot of history.
carne_asada

Post by carne_asada »

You know your family best, my toddler loves everything train related and would love the cog rail, but I could see how the ride would bore some other children . Make sure you dress everyone accordingly for the weather on the summit(which is often cold and wet). I do think slightly older kids would enjoy and appreciate the overall area a bit more, especially if you plan to go on a few hikes. I went a few years ago and loved it but it wouldn't be my first choice until my kid is older. We came from the NY area and did a Mt Washington, Portland , Salem loop on 1 trip.
Topic Author
Edge215

Post by Edge215 »

thanks for all the feedback.

i can report back: the cog railway was enjoyable even for our 2yo. the weather can be as bad as advertised. we almost got blown off the mountain. no moon sightings.

other highlights: santas village, diana bath's. all lovely sights!