Advice for Investment on House Sale Proceeds for Income

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
sudonym

Advice for Investment on House Sale Proceeds for Income

Post by sudonym »

We are in the process of building a new house, and have just sold our existing. I was originally planning on using the proceeds ($250K) to do a principal reduction when we convert to a permanent 30 year mortgage, in order to bring our monthly payment in line with what I budgeted for our mortgage expense (including property tax and insurance) when we decided to build. However, with the low interest rate we have for the mortgage (as well as a desire to maximize the interest deduction), I was thinking now it might make more sense to invest the $250K. I would not be too risk averse in terms of the initial investment fluctuating in value short term. However, we do need a yearly income from this investment of $8K to $10K in order to pay property taxes and insurance.

Debt: Construction to Perm loan, for current house being built. Permanent mortgage rate will be 3.375% (30yr). No other debt.

Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Jointly

Tax Rate: 24% Federal, 5.75% State

State of Residence: Georgia

Ages: 47, 44, 6, 4

Desired Asset allocation: 80% stocks / 20% bonds

Total Portfolio: Mid 6 figures

Assets

Emergency funds: 1 month

His 401k@Alight (Accenture - Previous Employer):
33.1% Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Trust Select (0.045) - $175K
1.9% Vanguard Institutional 500 Index Trust (VFFSX)(0.011) - $10K

His 401k@Fidelity:
18.2% Vanguard Institutional Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares (VIIIX)(0.02) - $96K
2.3%Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund Institutional Shares (VIEIX)(0.05) - $12K
2.1% Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Institutional Shares (VTSNX)(0.08) - $11K
1.9% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Institutional Shares (VBTIX)(0.035) - $10K

His HSA@Fidelity:
1.7% Fidelity 500 Index Fund (FXAIX)(0.02) - $9K
0.6% Cash - $3K

His Rollover IRA@Merrill Edge
5.1% Apple (AAPL) - $27K
0.6% Vanguard Long Term Bond (BLV)(0.05) - $3K
0.4% Microsoft Corp (MSFT) - $2K
1.7% SPDR S&P Dividend ETF (SDY)(0.35) - $9K
0.9% Vanguard Total Bond Market (VBTLX)(0.05) - $5K
1.5% Vanguard Total Stk Market (VTI)(0.03) - $8K
0.4% Vanguard Total Intl Stk (VXUS)(0.07) - $2

Hers SEP@Merrill Edge
0.9% IShares MSCI USA (SUSA)(0.25) - $5K
1.3% Vanguard Total Bond Market (VBTLX)(0.05) - $7K
2.6% Vanguard 500 Index Fund (VFIAX)(0.04) - $14K
0.2% Vanguard Health Care ETF (VHT)(0.1) - $1K

Hers Taxable@Computershare
1.3% Coca-Cola(KO) - $7K

His Taxable@eTrade (Employee Stock)
23.4% Workday (WDAY) - $127K

Questions:

Question 1: Is my thinking above sound, in that in today’s environment (corrected stock/bond market, rising interest rates) it makes more sense to invest rather than reduce the principal of our 30 yr note?

Question 2: If so, what would be the best investments given our goals above?

Thanks in advance!

Sean
sycamore

Re: Advice for Investment on House Sale Proceeds for Income

Post by sycamore »

Welcome to the forum sudonym!
sudonym wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 pm Question 1: Is my thinking above sound, in that in today’s environment (corrected stock/bond market, rising interest rates) it makes more sense to invest rather than reduce the principal of our 30 yr note?

Question 2: If so, what would be the best investments given our goals above?
I think it's a reasonable bet that you'll beat 3.7% using a mix of stocks and bonds. But I wouldn't say it's a clear choice decision. Like some people simply have a preference for avoiding/minimizing debt, but that doesn't sound like you.

I would definitely run through some "bad outcome" scenarios. Example: the "lost decade" after the dot-com crash was pretty brutal and hard to endure if you were hoping the $250k was going to grow during that time. Not only was there a significant crash but you'd have withdrawn $10k/year for 10 years for taxes & insurance, also depleting your capital.

Another example: Vanguard's LifeStrategy Income fund is 20% stocks/80% bonds. That's a rather conservative allocation, but it's down about 12% year to date. Imagine if you invested $250k at the beginning of 2022, withdrew $10k, and then saw your $240k dropped to $211k. Would you be able to sleep well knowing it would feel like you lost 3 years' worth of taxes & insurance?

I think a major factor is whether your job situations are stable. If so, I'd feel more comfortable taking investing the $250k, and also more comfortable taking on more stock risk.

But if not, and you'd have trouble covering the $10k taxes & insurance otherwise, I'd be more inclined to keep the $250k in safer investments like High Yield Savings Accounts, some I Bonds (up to $10k per person per year), maybe a short-term TIPS fund.

On a side note, I see you have no Roth IRA although you do have a Rollover (Trad) IRA. Do you make IRA contributions? I think that making a Roth contribution could be very helpful long-term. Having the $250k (I mean not paying off the mortgage right away) gives you some flexibility to make a Roth IRA contribution if you otherwise didn't have the cash for it.
Topic Author
sudonym

Post by sudonym »

Thanks for the welcome!

- You are correct in that I am not totally debt adverse, and we feel pretty safe in terms of jobs (I work an established software company, my wife is a self-employed psychologist).

- I definitely remember the "lost decade", as I lived in the bay area in the late 90s and worked for a .com that went bust. My first experience with paper wealth that vanished :-P . Given our retirement timeline (~20 years), I'm OK with the scenarios you mentioned tbh. I am leaning towards at least some percentage investment into a short term TIPS though, just given the uncertainty and volatility at the moment.

- Would there be any reason to find a dividend/income based stock ETF (where dividend could cover our taxes/insurance) vs. an index based (Total and Intl ETF), selling enough yearly to cover?

- I think we will definitely start max'ing out I Bonds. Given we won't be needing the first payment of Taxes/Insurance for ~18 months, this gives us time to also use the interest at least from our initial 20K purchase towards that if needed.

- Regarding Roth IRA, our combined income is too high for a traditional (296K as of 2021); however I have not explored a backdoor Roth yet, so that may be an option. However, I do max out my regular 401k contributions, so I may adjust to split some of that to a 401K Roth.

Thanks again!
rossington

Post by rossington »

If you both earn 296k combined why can't you afford the 10k expenses?
Both in mid to late 40's with 2 young children and total portfolio is mid 6 figures. You seem to be behind in savings here.
Are you really thinking this through?
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.