How much to tip movers?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Lincoln Logs

How much to tip movers?

Post by Lincoln Logs »

Apologies if this has been covered in depth earlier, I did a search and could not find anything recent.

I will be moving in two days, and I'm wondering what an appropriate tip for the movers should be. I am not moving far (about 20 minutes away), but it will be a substantial job - the contents of a fairly big house into 3 locations - an apartment building, storage facility, and junk. I reckon it will take the better part of the day.

As a point of reference, the moving company has quoted the job to be $4,000, and said they would probably send 4 guys.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
lgs88

Re: How much to tip movers?

Post by lgs88 »

A decade ago -- when I was a summer mover at $12.50/hour -- for a full day's work, $20 felt cheap, $40 felt about right, and I still remember with a smile those few customers who doled out a crisp $100 to each mover.

Nowadays, I suspect $50 or $60 would feel about right. $100 will still elicit a smile, but if you want them to remember you with a smile decade later -- that may be $150 these days!

P.S. Please don't blame the movers if it goes over the estimate, unless they're dogging it. My employer habitually low-balled the estimate to get the job. It stunk for the movers themselves.
merely an interested amateur
dred pirate

Post by dred pirate »

Lincoln Logs wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:19 pm Apologies if this has been covered in depth earlier, I did a search and could not find anything recent.

I will be moving in two days, and I'm wondering what an appropriate tip for the movers should be. I am not moving far (about 20 minutes away), but it will be a substantial job - the contents of a fairly big house into 3 locations - an apartment building, storage facility, and junk. I reckon it will take the better part of the day.

As a point of reference, the moving company has quoted the job to be $4,000, and said they would probably send 4 guys.

I can't remember what I tipped last time - but remember the distance moved really has little to do with what the tip should be - the bulk of the work you are tipping for is the packing and unpacking - since you have to do that whether you move 1/2 mile or across the country.
StoopieHippo

Post by StoopieHippo »

I moved in 2014 and budgeted $2.5k for the move. Four guys and a van came and moved us in under 2 hours (1br apartment to 1br condo, but 45min away with traffic) and came in around $1.8k (quoted closer to the $2k mark, gave myself a $500 buffer for tips/going over time). We tipped everyone $100 and took them out to breakfast. 100% will use that company again!
delamer

Post by delamer »

We did $50 each for 5 movers, plus lunch.

That was 2 years ago for moving a 3 bedroom house.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I've done $20 per person per hour. Haven't moved in 5 years so maybe it's $25 these days.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Do movers make less than minimum wage like restaurant wait staff and therefore depend on tips to do their jobs?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Eazyndn

Post by Eazyndn »

I just moved last weekend, the move was about 6 miles. 6 guys, two trucks. They started at about 8:15 and were done by 3:30. The movers were excellent, I live in the Los Angeles area.
Here’s what I did for the movers themselves:

Had plenty of bottled water and Gatorade, it was 100 degrees outside
Bought them Domino’s for lunch
Gave each of the 6 guys $40 each in an envelope.
Praised them for their excellent work.

They seemed happy, and we were happy too.

The moving company charged me $3350 for the total move, including driving time.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Lincoln Logs wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:19 pm Apologies if this has been covered in depth earlier, I did a search and could not find anything recent.

Thank you for opening this thread.

I’ve got a move coming up next week. I completely forgot about the thought of tipping until I saw these posts.

Boglehead Forum to the rescue again!

Thanks.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

lgs88 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 pm A decade ago -- when I was a summer mover at $12.50/hour -- for a full day's work, $20 felt cheap, $40 felt about right, and I still remember with a smile those few customers who doled out a crisp $100 to each mover.

Nowadays, I suspect $50 or $60 would feel about right. $100 will still elicit a smile, but if you want them to remember you with a smile decade later -- that may be $150 these days!

P.S. Please don't blame the movers if it goes over the estimate, unless they're dogging it. My employer habitually low-balled the estimate to get the job. It stunk for the movers themselves.
I spent three summers and a couple years working as a mover. This.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Three years ago. Two guys at loading end of interstate move. Took them about 3 hours to load boxes and furniture into 2 containers. Gave them $40 each. At delivery end, other crew, took them 2 hours. Gave each $40. They all thanked me, not effusively nor grudgingly.
5outof10

Post by 5outof10 »

lgs88 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 pm P.S. Please don't blame the movers if it goes over the estimate, unless they're dogging it. My employer habitually low-balled the estimate to get the job. It stunk for the movers themselves.
Good insight. :!:
Checking 10K, Sinking Funds 50K (HYSA/MMF), EF 50K (I bonds), Taxable/Retirement: 72% VTI, 18% VXUS, 10% BND | I would like to own a gold bar one day, to be able to say I own a gold bar.
randybobandy

Post by randybobandy »

I have moved 7 times in the last 15 years. I buy lunch for the movers (some hate pizza) and avg $50/person. I like to keep movers happy.

--RbB
Grammar and spelling matter. | Quoting the OP isn't a necessity.
sleepy06

Post by sleepy06 »

$60-100 per day per mover. bought lunch, drinks, etc.

In our movers we have been so delighted at how helpful and wonderful the service was would have been happy tipping double or triple that.

They were happy and we were happy. Moves were paid by corporate relocation otherwise so our contribution felt small.
toddthebod

Post by toddthebod »

In March we tipped four guys $100/each for a full day of work.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'd say around 10% of the cost for a local move. My last move was $1800 and I gave $60 to each of the three guys.
Creditcardguy

Post by Creditcardguy »

I am always amazed at the tips doled out whenever a “how much should I tip” thread rolls out. Truly inspiring, maybe I’ll get there one day. :mrgreen:
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Maybe tip them up front to assure good service? Or half up front...
TSR

Post by TSR »

Are they packing or are you? How long of a move? On our recent move we packed everything and the whole move took about four hours (the move was to a house maybe seven blocks away). They even told us that they all had to do a second move that day. I didn't feel too terrible tipping about $20 each under those circumstances. I would tip much more if they were packing the items, they worked a lot longer, or this was their only gig that day.
abishop512

Post by abishop512 »

Moved last week, out of state, 12 hour drive. They packed us one day (5 hours), loaded one day (5 hours), drove a day, unloaded us (4,5 hours). I asked around about tipping & didn’t hear anything definitive, ended up tipping each of the 2 movers $50 for each of the 4 days ($200 total for each) plus extra for lunch before the drive back home. Supplied drinks and snacks for unloading.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

maxInfo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:44 am About 6 months ago, I moved from a small apartment in Austin to another part of the city, not too far, maybe a 15-minute drive.
So, did you tip the movers??
stan1

Post by stan1 »

abishop512 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:54 am Moved last week, out of state, 12 hour drive. They packed us one day (5 hours), loaded one day (5 hours), drove a day, unloaded us (4,5 hours). I asked around about tipping & didn’t hear anything definitive, ended up tipping each of the 2 movers $50 for each of the 4 days ($200 total for each) plus extra for lunch before the drive back home. Supplied drinks and snacks for unloading.
If they were courteous and careful while also being task focused, and since it was just two, I think that's reasonable.

Where I live I don't think most movers would pass a background investigation. It is a hard job. I'm glad they are helping with it, and if everyone leaves happy that's a plus.
mosilaby

Post by mosilaby »

Serious question - Why would you tip movers for doing their job? Do you tip a roofer, dentist, auto mechanic or the home depot cashier?
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

mosilaby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:30 pm Serious question - Why would you tip movers for doing their job? Do you tip a roofer, dentist, auto mechanic or the home depot cashier?
I tip movers because, as one mover put it one time, "I work for tips." Roofers and auto mechanics are generally well paid. And obviously dentists are. Hopefully that Home Depot cashier gets benefits like health insurance, but tipping cashiers just isn't what people do, not expect. Movers don't usually get benefits, they have a very tough job, and they work hard. If I tip them for a job well done, that's a way of paying it forward, so they'll do that extra thing for the next person, who could be me next time. Last time they disassembled and reassembled my kid's drum set, even though they didn't have to. I gave each if the three $50 but later mailed them $100 each. I'm fortunate to be able to afford tipping.
FIRWYW

Post by FIRWYW »

Only used movers once when we moved 2 weeks after shoulder surgery. They just loaded and we had church help on other end. Wife was totally impressed. Tried to tip. They declined. I actually didn’t think tipping them was standard.
student

Post by student »

valleyrock wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:43 pm
mosilaby wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:30 pm Serious question - Why would you tip movers for doing their job? Do you tip a roofer, dentist, auto mechanic or the home depot cashier?
I tip movers because, as one mover put it one time, "I work for tips." Roofers and auto mechanics are generally well paid. And obviously dentists are. Hopefully that Home Depot cashier gets benefits like health insurance, but tipping cashiers just isn't what people do, not expect. Movers don't usually get benefits, they have a very tough job, and they work hard. If I tip them for a job well done, that's a way of paying it forward, so they'll do that extra thing for the next person, who could be me next time. Last time they disassembled and reassembled my kid's drum set, even though they didn't have to. I gave each if the three $50 but later mailed them $100 each. I'm fortunate to be able to afford tipping.
I think whether one has benefits depends on the company. I would imagine a large company provides benefits. https://www.bekins.com/2022/12/06/benef ... g-company/ It mentions benefits and it also mentions one can expect tips. Last time I moved over 20 years ago and I did tip. But I don't remember how much.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

I won't tip a mover. I'll just pay the negotiated price...This is what I did the last time I used a mover.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
rule of law guy

Post by rule of law guy »

movers tend to be rough and ready guys. and these guys can treat your stuff with disdain. these guys I tip on low end. occasionally, I have had movers who have a standard of care, who consider themselves professionals. these you want to use again or rec to friends and family, and because of this, I tip high. most recently (about 5 years ago), if I recall correctly, I tipped a crew of three $600 for a two day job. something like 10% of the total move. I liked them.
Never wrong, unless my wife tells me that I am.
faanger101

Post by faanger101 »

lgs88 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 pm

Somehow I'm expected to become an expert in employer - employee relationship across various domains. Why :confused
faanger101

Post by faanger101 »

I tip movers because, as one mover put it one time, "I work for tips."
Would you tip your lawyer if he says that :confused
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

faanger101 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:31 pm
I'm not sure if it's ethical for a lawyer to accept a tip, unless it can be considered to be a bribe, of course.
faanger101

Post by faanger101 »

valleyrock wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:34 pm
faanger101 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:31 pm
I'm not sure if it's ethical for a lawyer to accept a tip, unless it can be considered to be a bribe, of course.
Is it ethical for a mover? Aren't you bribing them :confused
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

lgs88 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 pm A decade ago -- when I was a summer mover at $12.50/hour -- for a full day's work, $20 felt cheap, $40 felt about right, and I still remember with a smile those few customers who doled out a crisp $100 to each mover.

$50 is indeed what I pad in 2021. The guys were VERY happy.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
London

Post by London »

Metsfan91 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:10 pm
I won't tip a mover. I'll just pay the negotiated price...This is what I did the last time I used a mover.
Sounds right for a Mets fan
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

At least $20/person/day. Buy 'em snacks and drinks too.

I moved stuff off and on when I was young. It's hard work and you don't want them running low on calories. And if they pack your stuff, a little bit of care goes a long way. The job doesn't pay well either. I'm surprised there are folks who don't tip their movers in the US.
funyun

Post by funyun »

We did a local move recently - a minimalist 2 bedroom. Took three movers 3 hours including the drive time. I handed each of them a hundred dollar bill which they were really happy about. In previous bigger moves, I would tip more for a full day and also buy them lunch. Those guys work really hard and deserve every penny - you know they're only getting minimum wage from the moving company they work for.
crossbow

Post by crossbow »

Plenty of people work hard, aren't making bank, and don't get tipped for doing their job well - firefighters, teachers etc. If I was careless at my job, I would probably be asked to leave. I don't expect my employer to provide snacks and refreshments for me to feel physically well enough to perform at my job, either. It's on the individual to show up to work well rested and energized.
funyun

Post by funyun »

crossbow wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:40 pm Plenty of people work hard, aren't making bank, and don't get tipped for doing their job well - firefighters, teachers etc. If I was careless at my job, I would probably be asked to leave. I don't expect my employer to provide snacks and refreshments for me to feel physically well enough to perform at my job, either. It's on the individual to show up to work well rested and energized.
I bet you're a real delight to work with.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

crossbow wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:40 pm Plenty of people work hard, aren't making bank, and don't get tipped for doing their job well - firefighters, teachers etc. If I was careless at my job, I would probably be asked to leave. I don't expect my employer to provide snacks and refreshments for me to feel physically well enough to perform at my job, either. It's on the individual to show up to work well rested and energized.
Firefighters, teachers, etc. get health insurance and retirement benefits. Movers get minimum wage or even double the minimum wage isn't that much by comparison. That's why many of us tip movers.
Motostash

Post by Motostash »

faanger101 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:28 pm
Somehow I'm expected to become an expert in employer - employee relationship across various domains. Why :confused
Because this is 'merica.

I wonder how much tipping culture contributes to the concurrent crises of teacher shortages and declining interest in the trades.

$70k/year to tickle beer taps sure beats $50k to deal with other people's brats or risk permanent disfigurement.

Don't try to tell me benefits are a stronger draw that cash.

I still tip, but something has to give.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

What silly comparisons
SHOOTR

Post by SHOOTR »

When I moved 3 months ago from a small town to the outskirts of a big city, it was a massive task. I had a ton of stuff, and the move cost me around $2,500. For that price, 3 guys worked tirelessly from morning till late afternoon. Based on my experience and what I've learned, when tipping movers, the amount often depends on the quality of service and the move’s complexity. Generally, it’s suggested to tip around 20% of the total moving cost. For a local move, consider giving each mover $20 to $30, while for long-distance moves, $50 per mover is a common guideline. However, always ensure the tip reflects the effort and time the movers invested. In my case, the guys did an excellent job, so I tipped each of them $40, which was a bit above the guideline but felt right given their effort.

For more detailed information, you might find this link useful: https://threemovers.com/how-much-do-you-tip-a-mover/.
Last edited by SHOOTR on Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

We moved 2500 sq ft across town last month. We tipped $50/person for what was a very “meh” job.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

SHOOTR wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:40 pm When I moved 3 months ago from a small town to the outskirts of a big city, it was a massive task. I had a ton of stuff, and the move cost me around $2,500. For that price, 3 guys worked tirelessly from morning till late afternoon. Based on my experience and what I've learned, when tipping movers, the amount often depends on the quality of service and the move’s complexity. Generally, it’s suggested to tip around 20% of the total moving cost. For a local move, consider giving each mover $20 to $30, while for long-distance moves, $50 per mover is a common guideline.
We gave our guys $40 each for moving, and there were three of them. But that number means nothing, as does 20% of anything. I would never use a fixed percentage for tips. It's based on quality of the service and "what moves you" (hah!)

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
volleyballer

Post by volleyballer »

My recent move, 7 hour day, 4 guys, $50 tip each. I think the cost was $1600 for the job before tip. LCOL-ish area.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Wondering whether the same BHers are tipping movers, but not hotel housekeepers.
PS We have not moved in 40 years and our last move was with family and friends, so we are out of touch.
Morik

Post by Morik »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:59 pm Wondering whether the same BHers are tipping movers, but not hotel housekeepers.
PS We have not moved in 40 years and our last move was with family and friends, so we are out of touch.
We tip movers but not hotel housekeepers (but also don't use housekeeping during our stay and don't leave a mess).
We do tip delivery (door dash/etc), cabs/Ubers, personal grooming (haircuts/nails/etc), massage, etc.