Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023!

Post by Miriam2 »

Ahhh!! Get ready for relaxing times after those years of toil and work :sharebeer

The Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023 is now open!

Are you planning to RETIRE in 2023? Congratulations!

Add your name to this Wonderful Retirement Roll Call, post your R-date and age, get ready for punch-out day, and please share with us your exciting glidepath into retirement. And yes, tentative retirement plans and estimated dates are okay - we just reboot you when they change :D

No more Working for the Man 8-)
BogleFan84

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023!

Post by BogleFan84 »

Moving from class of June 2022 (age 62) to June 2023 (age 63) due to perceived sequence of return risk (high Inflation, down market) and being too busy as engineering manager to plan for non-financial aspects of retirement (took to heart DW concern I'd be bored after 40 years of F/T work).

Sleep well at 50/50 AA though down 10% ($2.2M to $2M) and glad I moved 30% from VLTBX (total bond fund) to Stable Value at beginning of 2022.

Thankful for good health; run 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week, looking forward to the next phase; spending time with DW, grandkids, hiking White mountains, biking, skiing, church technical needs (IT, website, livestreaming), some travel and possible volunteer work for other non-profits' tech support.
'It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future'
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

BogleFan84 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:28 am Moving from class of June 2022 (age 62) to June 2023 (age 63) due to perceived sequence of return risk (high Inflation, down market) and being too busy as engineering manager to plan for non-financial aspects of retirement (took to heart DW concern I'd be bored after 40 years of F/T work).
OK BogleFan 84! You have the Great Honor of being the First Classmate of the upcoming Class of 2023 - and believe me, these great honors are hard to come by and greatly sought after :D We'll reboot you from the Class of 2022 to 2023.

Now as for your perceived sequence of return risk, the Retirement Roll Call tries to be as helpful as possible when classmates have retirement snags, so here is this very useful graph to help you determine how to arrange everything to avoid the Dreaded Sequence of Returns Risk :wink:

"The following example shows a 4% withdrawal rate with an equity allocation of 50% and the remaining 50% bonds . . . sequence of returns risk."

Please let us know if it works :D

BogleFan84 wrote:Sleep well at 50/50 AA though down 10% ($2.2M to $2M) and glad I moved 30% from VLTBX (total bond fund) to Stable Value at beginning of 2022.
I understand fully - also moved some 401k investments to Stable Value several years before retirement.
BogleFan84 wrote:Thankful for good health; run 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week, looking forward to the next phase; spending time with DW, grandkids, hiking White mountains, biking, skiing, church technical needs (IT, website, livestreaming), some travel and possible volunteer work for other non-profits' tech support.
What a load of retirement plans! And your wife thinks you're going to be bored! :shock: Actually, however, there is really something to the difficulty of hard-working professionals to get used to the retirement phase of unending space with few time constraints and schedules. As Jill Steinberg put it, "The retirement honeymoon is over, and many find it hard to adjust to the lack of routine and schedule."

We wish you good luck in preparing for your retirement and hope that everything turns out perfect and that you enjoy a long, healthy retirement with family and friends :beer
Old Goat

Post by Old Goat »

February 10, 2023 is my date. I'll be 56.5 then and with pensions/medical coverage, I'm looking forward to some extended hiking/backpacking trips. DW enjoys her career and intends to work a couple of more years.

Plan #1 is to complete as much of the AT as I can in 2023. Start date for that depends on when I complete 2022 tax returns 😉.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:34 pm Ahhh!! Get ready for relaxing times after those years of toil and work :sharebeer

Add your name to this Wonderful Retirement Roll Call, post your R-date and age, get ready for punch-out day, and please share with us your exciting glidepath into retirement. And yes, tentative retirement plans and estimated dates are okay - we just reboot you when they change :D

What a great job you do with these threads ;)
I’m so looking forward to the 2027 or 2028 editions!! 😁
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
loghound

Post by loghound »

Grabbing my spot to chronicle the next year

Planning on retiring June 1, 2023 at the age of 58 and a 36 year career.

I have two boys and they are both Seniors next year (one in HS, one in college) -- I joke with my wife that 'everyone is graduating next June'

Planning on living off of dividends & interest from a taxable account along with a 2% withdrawal from IRA/401k and waiting until 70 to take SS -- I have no debt and I can flex both my spending but also how much I withdrawal -- I'm fortunate to have a lot of financial flexibility.

From an emotional point of view I'm ready -- I've had a great career and done a lot of interesting things but I increasingly find work a burden (even things that I used to enjoy) so I'm looking forward to controlling my own time.

More details to follow as the next 12 month progresses....
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Hi Miriam,

I just looked back at my 2022 post -- promise it's for real this time!

Please pencil me in for June 1st.

Finances look more than fine.

I've been planning this for quite a while: travel, more time at our cottage in Michigan, sailing in Greece and the Great Lakes. It's good that travel is back -- we haven't been to our cottage for three (!) years.

Also, my wife has started a business to produce and distribute a board game that she designed (she has made many over the years). The next few years will see me helping out and having fun together on that adventure.

Cheers,
Sean
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:19 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:34 pm Ahhh!! Get ready for relaxing times after those years of toil and work :sharebeer

What a great job you do with these threads ;)
I’m so looking forward to the 2027 or 2028 editions!! 😁
Thank you for the thanks! By 2027 or 2028, however, I'll surely be fired by then, I'm so slow on the uptick :mrgreen:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Old Goat wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:40 pm February 10, 2023 is my date. I'll be 56.5 then and with pensions/medical coverage, I'm looking forward to some extended hiking/backpacking trips. DW enjoys her career and intends to work a couple of more years.

Plan #1 is to complete as much of the AT as I can in 2023. Start date for that depends on when I complete 2022 tax returns 😉.
A big welcome to this 2023 Retirement Roll Call, Old Goat :D You're on the list and in the class.

Thank you for sharing your plans and please let us know how your glidepath into retirement goes. We hope everything works out perfectly and that you enjoy these next months finalizing everything and planning for the next phase :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

loghound wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:33 am Grabbing my spot to chronicle the next year

Planning on retiring June 1, 2023 at the age of 58 and a 36 year career.

I have two boys and they are both Seniors next year (one in HS, one in college) -- I joke with my wife that 'everyone is graduating next June'

Planning on living off of dividends & interest from a taxable account along with a 2% withdrawal from IRA/401k and waiting until 70 to take SS -- I have no debt and I can flex both my spending but also how much I withdrawal -- I'm fortunate to have a lot of financial flexibility.

From an emotional point of view I'm ready -- I've had a great career and done a lot of interesting things but I increasingly find work a burden (even things that I used to enjoy) so I'm looking forward to controlling my own time.

More details to follow as the next 12 month progresses....
Hi loghound and a Big Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call for 2023 - it will be here before you know it! :D Less than a year and you'll be out and on your own on the sunny side of the street.

Thank you for sharing your path to retirement with us :happy We understand how work can become a burden, even a good job can become tiresome after many years. You had many years of good work and now it's time to move on with the next phase of your life. Yes, please give us progress reports as your glidepath into retirement unrolls.

For sure - next year will be a wonderful family year for you with all your graduations and new beginnings! We hope all your plans work out well and that you enjoy a very long and pleasurable retirement :D
Bbddl

Post by Bbddl »

The end of April is my date, age 63.
NYS job with 50% pension, 457 plan and sufficient other sources of funds.
Wife retired this past February at age 52. She has stayed occupied with lunch dates, pickle ball and a healthier lifestyle which has definitely benefitted her.
One kid in grad school, the other starting college this year at James Madison Univ in VA. We are planning on leaving the high cost and congested Long Island, NY area and may be renting in VA initially to get the in state tuition which would save us approx 40K over the 4 years at college. Before purchasing a new retirement home, we have always planned on renting to get a feel for the area.
We will continue traveling... returned from 10 days in Costa Rica last month. Planning an African and Galapagos trip in the new future.
Hockey remains a huge part of our lives, I play 3 times a week and plan on attending pro games also, so our retirement area selection needs to include ice rinks.
Other requirements are; near the ocean, community with extensive amenities, very good healthcare, warmer winters eliminating the snow/ice issues of the northeast.
Tampa checks most of our boxes. We are very open to reverse snowbirding to avoid the Florida summers if we end up in the Tampa area.
Have a great day all!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

sean.mcgrath wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:51 pm I just looked back at my 2022 post -- promise it's for real this time!

Please pencil me in for June 1st.

Finances look more than fine.

I've been planning this for quite a while: travel, more time at our cottage in Michigan, sailing in Greece and the Great Lakes. It's good that travel is back -- we haven't been to our cottage for three (!) years.

Also, my wife has started a business to produce and distribute a board game that she designed (she has made many over the years). The next few years will see me helping out and having fun together on that adventure.
OK sean! We penciled you in for your new date, new year - it's ok, you can come back as often as you want to enjoy hearing those magical words: "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!" :D You're in the new class, the Intrepid Class of 2023.

We enjoy hearing about your retirement plans and we hope everything turns out perfect. Enjoy this next year of planning and preparing :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bbddl wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:03 am The end of April is my date, age 63.
Congratulations Bbddl and welcome to this Really Super Retirement Roll Call - you're on the Class Roster for 2023!
Bbddl wrote:NYS job with 50% pension, 457 plan and sufficient other sources of funds.
Wife retired this past February at age 52. She has stayed occupied with lunch dates, pickle ball and a healthier lifestyle which has definitely benefitted her.

One kid in grad school, the other starting college this year at James Madison Univ in VA. We are planning on leaving the high cost and congested Long Island, NY area and may be renting in VA initially to get the in state tuition which would save us approx 40K over the 4 years at college. Before purchasing a new retirement home, we have always planned on renting to get a feel for the area.

We will continue traveling... returned from 10 days in Costa Rica last month. Planning an African and Galapagos trip in the new future.
Thanks for sharing your retirement glidepath and your plans :happy Looks like you planned well and have good things on your burners.
Bbddl wrote:Hockey remains a huge part of our lives, I play 3 times a week and plan on attending pro games also, so our retirement area selection needs to include ice rinks.
Other requirements are; near the ocean, community with extensive amenities, very good healthcare, warmer winters eliminating the snow/ice issues of the northeast.
Tampa checks most of our boxes. We are very open to reverse snowbirding to avoid the Florida summers if we end up in the Tampa area.
Have a great day all!
Wow - a hockey player and ice rinks! Funny to consider that Florida checks those boxes 8-) We hope you continue your ice skating and hockey playing and all your retirement plans for a very long time and you enjoy a long and heathy retirement! Keep your house up north - never know when Florida will disappear into the ocean like Atlantis :mrgreen:
chazas

Post by chazas »

I’ve been planning on the end of 2023 - I’ll be 62 and more than ready to leave a middling lifetime career in biglaw.

However.

Given the stock market declines and general economic uncertainty, I am considering just stepping back instead. I could probably make plenty to keep from touching my nest egg, cover medical insurance and expenses and continue funding a 401K with “part time” work. The only drawback is, “part time” in my business never seems to end up being that.

Of course if the economy falls off the cliff I could end up without a job by then anyway - I almost ended up in that circumstance after the financial crisis.

tl;dr: Hopefully, but too soon to tell.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

Hooray, we finally get to retire in 2023! We will be 52/43. The current market could push us out further, but right now we are planning on a mid-2023 exit from the workforce. I retired 2 years ago from the military and have been doing the govt contractor gig as a transition job. That said, I'm ready to walk/run/sprint away from 30 years of govt service, and have been in a university farmer training program over the last 15 months.

We recently purchased an old farm in Hawaii and the renovations are more costly than expected, so we are dealing with that. I've been sitting behind a computer for decades, so I'm really looking forward to the hard work, exercise, and extra time with our young children. We will also be homeschooling, and DW is writing a book and want's to get more involved in using her skills to help minister to women.

Finances look to be okay since we mostly get by (80%) on a pension, but as early retirees we planned on having a large taxable account to supplement from, which is being depleted by farm renovations that must be done, so we will see! Our original pre-recession plan was a 2% SWR, so that gives us a lot of flexibility, but it's hard to pull money out when the market looks as it does!

We are also going to try and create a farm business of some type, which will take a few years, so that will be a new adventure and maybe something that will generate enough income so we don't have to pull anything from any retirement accounts. DS wants to have a tropical flower business, which has excellent income potential. DD just wants to milk cows.

The one constant we have always had is that we seem to have adventurous lives, and it doesn't look as though that's going to change.
SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan »

My date is September 30, 2023. I will start Medicare the next day.

I have already let some of my clients know that I will be winding down and that September 30 is a hard date. My annual malpractice insurance ends just after my 65th birthday and I will not renew but instead rely on the tail coverage I have earned to date. My husband will be a few weeks short of 74 and he will have been retired for many years by that time. He is anxious for me to retire, but my work from home schedule of my own business already allows us lots of freedom to do what we want when we want. I appreciate adding just a little more to our retirement accounts, particularly on the Roth side due to my current very part time schedule, and to deduct our health insurance costs.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

I’m in for the Class of 2023
Last edited by Zeno on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

chazas wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:28 am I’ve been planning on the end of 2023 - I’ll be 62 and more than ready to leave a middling lifetime career in biglaw.
Hooray Chazas! A big welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and YOU'RE IN this wild Retirement Class of 2023 :D We're just getting up and running so you have a little time to get all your retirement papers in order and to plan for that Big Wild Retirement Party in your Big Law conference room or wherever you can fit the most people in the biggest space :wink:
chazas wrote:However. <<== That's the problem with lawyers LOL! There's always a "however . . ." :D

Given the stock market declines and general economic uncertainty, I am considering just stepping back instead. I could probably make plenty to keep from touching my nest egg, cover medical insurance and expenses and continue funding a 401K with “part time” work. The only drawback is, “part time” in my business never seems to end up being that. <<== That's the problem with law LOL! The work expands to full-time over-time :annoyed

Of course if the economy falls off the cliff I could end up without a job by then anyway - I almost ended up in that circumstance after the financial crisis. <<== That's the problem with cliffs, it's hard to climb back up :shock:

tl;dr: Hopefully, but too soon to tell. <<== Ok! You can tell us, but don't tell the boss - yet 8-)
Enjoy this upcoming year planning for your retirement! Please let us know how your glidepath works out - and we hope everything works out smooth and wonderful.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SurferLife wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:38 am Hooray, we finally get to retire in 2023! We will be 52/43. The current market could push us out further, but right now we are planning on a mid-2023 exit from the workforce. I retired 2 years ago from the military and have been doing the govt contractor gig as a transition job. That said, I'm ready to walk/run/sprint away from 30 years of govt service, and have been in a university farmer training program over the last 15 months.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, SurferLife, and this up-and-coming Class of 2023! You finally get to retire :D
SurferLife wrote:We recently purchased an old farm in Hawaii and the renovations are more costly than expected, so we are dealing with that. I've been sitting behind a computer for decades, so I'm really looking forward to the hard work, exercise, and extra time with our young children. We will also be homeschooling, and DW is writing a book and want's to get more involved in using her skills to help minister to women. . . .

We are also going to try and create a farm business of some type, which will take a few years, so that will be a new adventure and maybe something that will generate enough income so we don't have to pull anything from any retirement accounts. DS wants to have a tropical flower business, which has excellent income potential. DD just wants to milk cows.
Now this is really neat! An old farm in Hawaii, a tropical flower business, and you're looking forward to "hard work and exercise!" Thank you for sharing your plans. We wish you good luck and good fortune with your Hawaiian farm :beer
SurferLife wrote:Finances look to be okay since we mostly get by (80%) on a pension, but as early retirees we planned on having a large taxable account to supplement from, which is being depleted by farm renovations that must be done, so we will see! Our original pre-recession plan was a 2% SWR, so that gives us a lot of flexibility, but it's hard to pull money out when the market looks as it does!

The one constant we have always had is that we seem to have adventurous lives, and it doesn't look as though that's going to change.
For sure your adventurous life is not going to change! Do you know Boglehead Nords? He's a surfer in Hawaii, knows military pensions, has his investments on "auto-paddle" :D

marcus213

Post by marcus213 »

Hi, Miriam2 and everyone here,

It's time for me to step up and join the class, and I'm currently planning on a departure date somewhere in May of 2023. I'll update in the future when I can call that date exactly, but it's project-dependent and I wish to finish my current work, and that project's end date is not yet known with certainty.

But I'm very certain of my own timeline and have been working towards it for the last several years, and last year managed to pick up a nice windfall which has added an extra margin of safety to my plan. AA is currently 63/37 and I'll aim to keep it in that range, and in the meantime I'm just watching the markets, national and world events like everyone else here. I've taken the same big drops as most folks on this forum over the last few months, but it would have to get far, far worse to alter my retirement plans (knock on veneer over particle board), and so I'm just carrying on and keeping my nose to the grindstone.

Thank you, Miriam2, for maintaining this thread, and thank you to everyone on this board for your advice and guidance. I very much look forward to updating along with the rest of the Class of 2023 as we wrap this one up!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

SuzBanyan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:46 pm My date is September 30, 2023. I will start Medicare the next day.

I have already let some of my clients know that I will be winding down and that September 30 is a hard date. My annual malpractice insurance ends just after my 65th birthday and I will not renew but instead rely on the tail coverage I have earned to date. My husband will be a few weeks short of 74 and he will have been retired for many years by that time. He is anxious for me to retire, but my work from home schedule of my own business already allows us lots of freedom to do what we want when we want. I appreciate adding just a little more to our retirement accounts, particularly on the Roth side due to my current very part time schedule, and to deduct our health insurance costs.
Hi SuzBanyan and welcome to this Exciting Retirement Roll Call for 2023! And thank you for sharing your plans as you glide into retirement :happy Nice planning to cover health care and Roths.
We hope this next year is enjoyable as you wind down your work and prepare for this next wonderful phase of life. :sharebeer
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

After watching the roll calls for the last 10 years or so, excited to add my name to the list.

Tentative date is 8/15/23, I'll be 63 1/2. The month is picked because that's after I get my annual bonus.

My plan is to start withdrawing an annual income from my IRA at a sub-4% rate in 2024, we're living on that income now (rest of current income is going into savings). House is paid off. I have some cash and taxable equities that will provide "travel extras" for at least seven years, and then we'll see what extras we get after that based on sequence of returns. I have a deferred compensation payout for 5 years that is just about equal to my social security at 70, so I'll just pull extra from my IRA in the gap year. Roth conversions I'm playing by ear, we'll see how the market is doing in the next few years.

Many thanks to Bogleheads for teaching me how to formulate this plan!
Count If

Post by Count If »

OK add Count If to Class of 2023 (inspired by Excel's 'countif' function). The Count will be 65 later this year and wants to retire with the Countess after almost 40 years in scientific and management roles at MegaCorps, then a MidCorp bought by another MidCorp then a MegaCorp and finally MegaSpinoffCorp (with rightsizing out and boomeranging back to the spinoff along the way). Enjoy work and contributing but would now like a break in order to move to a warmer climate from upper Midwest winters, have time to fish, golf and travel actively as age increases. Have saved in 401K and IRAs diligently. So looking at 1/1/23 as independence day (maybe 3/31/23 if MegaSpinoffCorp needs more time to replace). Lets hope the bear market isn't too ferocious and limits sequence of return losses, scaling back or delaying the plan.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Zeno wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:42 pm I’m in for the Class of 2023, although the end could arrive anytime over the next 18 months. Put me down for 12/31/2023.
OK Zeno! You're on the Retirement Roll Call for the Who Knows What Will Happen? Upcoming Year of 2023 :happy And if the end arrives earlier, please let us know and we'll simply delete and re-enter - although we hope your change of plans will be for nice reasons.
Zeno wrote:If this happens as I anticipate, there will be some honor in jumping into the retirement pool with my fellow retirees in these interesting times. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/29/stock-m ... -news.html. Queue all the trite and banal quips (“Go big or go home”; “D*** the torpedoes, full speed ahead”; etc.).
Yikes - how true. Thanks for the article, and like your phrase, "there will be some honor in jumping into the retirement pool with my fellow retirees in these interesting times." Please keep us posted on your retirement glidepath and how you handle what's to come 8-) And whatever comes, we wish you all the best for a long, wonderful, healthy and enjoyable retirement.

And also, really appreciate your link to this article from "The Atlantic" in the other thread, viewtopic.php?t=378155#p6689032, on downsizing one's professional job and professional decline in midlife. Very interesting as we think about retirement.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

marcus213 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:07 am It's time for me to step up and join the class, and I'm currently planning on a departure date somewhere in May of 2023. I'll update in the future when I can call that date exactly, but it's project-dependent and I wish to finish my current work, and that project's end date is not yet known with certainty.
You're on the Roll Call, marcus 213! So don't worry about finishing the project, just give us an update and we'll switch around the dates. You're in the Great Retirement Class of 2023, less than a year away 8-)
marcus213 wrote:But I'm very certain of my own timeline and have been working towards it for the last several years, and last year managed to pick up a nice windfall which has added an extra margin of safety to my plan. AA is currently 63/37 and I'll aim to keep it in that range, and in the meantime I'm just watching the markets, national and world events like everyone else here. I've taken the same big drops as most folks on this forum over the last few months, but it would have to get far, far worse to alter my retirement plans (knock on veneer over particle board), and so I'm just carrying on and keeping my nose to the grindstone.
Thank you for sharing your plans! We hope everything works out well and that you head into retirement with a comfortable portfolio and exciting adventures in the making :beer
marcus213 wrote:Thank you, Miriam2, for maintaining this thread, and thank you to everyone on this board for your advice and guidance. I very much look forward to updating along with the rest of the Class of 2023 as we wrap this one up!
You're welcome! And 2023 is going to be a great year for retiring - knock on veneer over particle board :D This forum gives great advice, even learned how to test asphalt consistency (called "the plop test"), how to catch mice in the attic, and where to eat the best Texas BBQ in Dallas!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mrb09 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:39 pm After watching the roll calls for the last 10 years or so, excited to add my name to the list.
Tentative date is 8/15/23, I'll be 63 1/2. The month is picked because that's after I get my annual bonus.
And we're excited to have you join the Retirement Roll Call! Welcome to the Awesome Retirement Class of 2023 :D Tthank goodness you remembered about your annual bonus!
mrb09 wrote:My plan is to start withdrawing an annual income from my IRA at a sub-4% rate in 2024, we're living on that income now (rest of current income is going into savings). House is paid off. I have some cash and taxable equities that will provide "travel extras" for at least seven years, and then we'll see what extras we get after that based on sequence of returns. I have a deferred compensation payout for 5 years that is just about equal to my social security at 70, so I'll just pull extra from my IRA in the gap year. Roth conversions I'm playing by ear, we'll see how the market is doing in the next few years.

Many thanks to Bogleheads for teaching me how to formulate this plan!
Nice plans, mrb09! Many thanks for sharing them with us :D We hope this year goes well for you as you prepare all your retirement papers and move into retirement mode. Please let us know how everything goes. We wish you a wonderful retirement with great adventures and plenty of relaxing time :beer
rbslos36

Post by rbslos36 »

I’ve been watching and waiting for the Class of 2023. Count me in! My successor has been hired and after a year transition I will begin a new journey, July 1, 2023 at age 69.

My work journey has been unusual. I’ve only worked for one employer. The decision to retire was made easy by the pandemic. I realized after a career spent in service to others, it was time to put my family first. I hope to spend time traveling, teaching and volunteering. I am happiest making a difference in my community by advocating public policies to help those who are victims of injustice.

I admit I am a tad nervous about sequence of return risk. I am currently at 35% equities, 10% TIPS and 55% stable value. I intend to follow a rising glide path and hope to reach 50/50. I’m not ashamed to admit I will need guidance and probably handholding. After a career spent holding the hands of others, it will be nice but, humbling to be on the receiving end. I am excited and ready for this new challenge.
RB
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Count If wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:25 pm OK add Count If to Class of 2023 (inspired by Excel's 'countif' function). The Count will be 65 later this year and wants to retire with the Countess after almost 40 years in scientific and management roles at MegaCorps, then a MidCorp bought by another MidCorp then a MegaCorp and finally MegaSpinoffCorp (with rightsizing out and boomeranging back to the spinoff along the way).
Welcome, Count If, to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call! You are now officially IN the Retirement Class of 2023, and what a great class this is :D

Wow! Almost 40 years in scientific and management roles at all those Corps - makes my head spin! A great career and now a glidepath into retirement, and what a well-deserved retirement this will be. Congratulations :beer and we wish you all the best in this transition and beyond.
Count If wrote: Enjoy work and contributing but would now like a break in order to move to a warmer climate from upper Midwest winters, have time to fish, golf and travel actively as age increases. Have saved in 401K and IRAs diligently. So looking at 1/1/23 as independence day (maybe 3/31/23 if MegaSpinoffCorp needs more time to replace). Lets hope the bear market isn't too ferocious and limits sequence of return losses, scaling back or delaying the plan.
Ok, you're in for Jan 1, but if the date changes, we simply re-boot 8-) And don't sweat trying to find your replacement - you're irreplaceable :D
nanciT

Post by nanciT »

Hello Miriam!
It's time to be added to the list! I actually left my position last year but for health reasons....and had planned to return. But finally convinced my husband it is time to step away from his demanding job and move forward with our retirement. It is a big decision but one I know he will be happy he made.
So right now he is looking at April 2023 or may push things towards Dec 2023.It all depends on if he continues to work from home and commute 2 days, or if they push to get back to the office 5 days.
It has been an adjustment for me after working in Healthcare ( 30 years) and then moving into Health Education for the last 12 years. Both very rewarding but also demanding.
I look forward to planning some trips and spending time with family
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

rbslos36 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:42 pm I’ve been watching and waiting for the Class of 2023. Count me in! My successor has been hired and after a year transition I will begin a new journey, July 1, 2023 at age 69.
We're counting you in, rbslos36! And here's what you've been waiting for, the sweetest words in any language that make the heart flutter and swoon: "Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call!" :D You're on the roster and in the fabulous class of 2023!
rbslos36 wrote:My work journey has been unusual. I’ve only worked for one employer. The decision to retire was made easy by the pandemic. I realized after a career spent in service to others, it was time to put my family first. I hope to spend time traveling, teaching and volunteering. I am happiest making a difference in my community by advocating public policies to help those who are victims of injustice.
What a nice description of your working years and your transition into retirement. Thank you for sharing it with us :happy We hope your retirement is as meaningful to you as your public service years were, and that you enjoy many happy years with your family and are successful exploring new important public service activities. We are as excited as you are about your new life!
rbslos36 wrote:I admit I am a tad nervous about sequence of return risk. I am currently at 35% equities, 10% TIPS and 55% stable value. I intend to follow a rising glide path and hope to reach 50/50. I’m not ashamed to admit I will need guidance and probably handholding. After a career spent holding the hands of others, it will be nice but, humbling to be on the receiving end. I am excited and ready for this new challenge.
Oh no problem with that old sequence of returns risk! As noted up-thread, we are fully prepared to help our classmates with this Very Useful & Colorful Graph that helps you determine how your portfolio is progressing to allay any such fears :wink:

Thanks for sharing your asset allocation and rising glide path plan 8-)
A440

Post by A440 »

I'm on track for a June 2023 retirement.
I've checked with my fellow Bogleheads, and two fee only CFP's to make sure the numbers looked good. I have a meeting next week with the Division of Pensions.
There is an amount of "peace" going into my final year of teaching. :happy
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nanciT wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:43 pm Hello Miriam!
It's time to be added to the list! I actually left my position last year but for health reasons....and had planned to return. But finally convinced my husband it is time to step away from his demanding job and move forward with our retirement. It is a big decision but one I know he will be happy he made.
So right now he is looking at April 2023 or may push things towards Dec 2023.It all depends on if he continues to work from home and commute 2 days, or if they push to get back to the office 5 days.
It has been an adjustment for me after working in Healthcare ( 30 years) and then moving into Health Education for the last 12 years. Both very rewarding but also demanding.
I look forward to planning some trips and spending time with family
Hi nanciT and a big warm welcome to this Remarkable Retirement Roll Call for 2023! You're on the Roll Call and in this great Retirement Class :D Oh we agree - time to step away from demanding jobs and move forward with retirement.

Thank you for sharing your glidepath to retirement. Those long demanding but rewarding careers can be very difficult to leave. There is the inner nagging feeling that we still have so much to offer others, due to our education and training and experience, that retiring would be counter-productive and a waste of all the time spent becoming who we are. Plus - it means we're getting older :shock: :(

But retirement is going to come whether we want it or not. Unless we have some special way of continuing our work in retirement without giving up the advantages of retirement such as more free time to spend with family and doing all those things we put off because we were working too much, then might as well retire when our health is still good and our portfolios are full and start this next phase of life.

Sounds like you have nice plans ahead of you. We wish you a long, happy and exciting retirement :D
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

I set a date in 2023...after 35 years & after the reset of my RSUs vest.
My CFP says I'm good to go with ~3.5% withdraw rate. My 5 year bridge until Medicare eligibility is defined.
...no change to standard of living
...no debt
DW is still worried about me being underfoot, but I have my volunteer gig set (started last year).

...all that is lacking how is friendlier treatment of HSA's by CA.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

A440 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:07 am I'm on track for a June 2023 retirement.
I've checked with my fellow Bogleheads, and two fee only CFP's to make sure the numbers looked good. I have a meeting next week with the Division of Pensions.
There is an amount of "peace" going into my final year of teaching. :happy
Hi A440! Happy all the numbers look good! Welcome to this Extraordinary Retirement Roll Call for 2023 :D We hope you enjoy this last year of teaching, and please let us know how your retirement plans work out.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I certainly hope next year is the year.

I posted this is in 2019:
Really tempted to join. My wife wants to work until she has 40 credits which takes us to January next year.
If I don't get a job in the next six months do I qualify for the class of 2019 or do I have to wait for my wife to retire in 2020?

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=148607

My wife has gotten her 40 credits. I've never gotten gainful employment per se. That said, I've been a 1099 employee the last 18 months (which I think is kind of questionable considering that I have to go to the office every day but it is what it is).

I would love to call it quits and move on to retirement. Fingers crossed that 2023 is our year.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

zincTwo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:52 pm I set a date in 2023...after 35 years & after the reset of my RSUs vest.
My CFP says I'm good to go with ~3.5% withdraw rate. My 5 year bridge until Medicare eligibility is defined.
...no change to standard of living
...no debt
DW is still worried about me being underfoot, but I have my volunteer gig set (started last year).

...all that is lacking how is friendlier treatment of HSA's by CA.
Nice plans, zincTwo! And now for those wonderful, heart-warming words -> Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! :D
We'll pencil you in on the 2023 roster, and when you firm up your date, we'll erase and pencil in again!
zincTwo wrote:DW is still worried about me being underfoot, but I have my volunteer gig set (started last year).
Oh for sure - "the husband underfoot" :wink: I know that well, clearly needs a side gig or a long "Now that you're retired Honey-Do list"! We hope that you (and your wife!) really enjoy your side gig and that your retirement is full of fun and adventure for many years.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

7eight9 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:22 am I certainly hope next year is the year.

I posted this is in 2019:
Really tempted to join. My wife wants to work until she has 40 credits which takes us to January next year.
If I don't get a job in the next six months do I qualify for the class of 2019 or do I have to wait for my wife to retire in 2020?

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=148607

My wife has gotten her 40 credits. I've never gotten gainful employment per se. That said, I've been a 1099 employee the last 18 months (which I think is kind of questionable considering that I have to go to the office every day but it is what it is).

I would love to call it quits and move on to retirement. Fingers crossed that 2023 is our year.
OK 7eight9, we'll pencil you in for 2023 - and of course, if your plans change, let us know and we'll simply re-boot you :D Hope your glidepath into retirement works out perfectly!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Time to publish the first roster for the upcoming Retirement Class of 2023 - which will be here before we know it 8-)

We already have many Bogleheads on the glidepath to PUNCHING OUT :D Hope everything works out for everyone!

01 Jan - Count If (65)
30 Apr - Bbddl (63)
__ Apr - nanciT
__ May - marcus213
__ May - saveinvestbecomefree (48)
01 Jun - loghound (58)
01 Jun - sean.mcgrath (59)
15 Jun - Zeno (59)
__ Jun - BogleFan84 (63)
__ Jun - A440
01 Jul - rbslos36 (69)
15 Aug - mrb09 (63)
30 Sep - SuzBanyan (65)
__ ___ - chazas (62)
__ ___ - SurferLife (52)
__ ___ - zincTwo
__ ___ - 7eight9

Please sign up if you wish to be part of next year's Great Retirement Class!
Last edited by Miriam2 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
saveinvestbecomefree

Post by saveinvestbecomefree »

I'm not 100% certain but it's likely I'll join the class of 2023 by the end of May next year. Though I'll be only 48 (DW 49), I'm comfortable with our numbers after aggressive saving and investing over the years and have many other things I'd prefer to do with my time, including more time with my 11 and 13 year old sons, many outdoor sports, cooking, learning, personal finance, visiting aging parents, some travel, and more. I can also help more on the family side since my wife travels a lot for work (which she likes) and with both of us working it gets stressful trying to balance our job requests. The May timing is so I can spend a lot of time with my boys over the summer (we have a sort of summer bucket list we're developing in lieu of their normal camps).

The only caveat is that I don't hate my high-paying job and I have a pretty decent work/life balance (but still 40hrs/week and some travel) while my freedom will be somewhat limited by the kids still in school and my wife continuing to work. I don't have a single consuming passion to "retire to" although I love my many activities outside work and could easily spend a lot more time doing them plus exploring new things for a next chapter in life. So it's possible I decide to continue the OMY journey as long as things are okay at work.

Overall though I'm a lot more excited about a new life adventure than I am worried about this being a bad decision and the thought of retiring makes me a lot more happy than the thought of continuing as-is. Count me in!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

saveinvestbecomefree wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:28 pm I'm not 100% certain but it's likely I'll join the class of 2023 by the end of May next year. Though I'll be only 48 (DW 49), I'm comfortable with our numbers after aggressive saving and investing over the years and have many other things I'd prefer to do with my time, including more time with my 11 and 13 year old sons, many outdoor sports, cooking, learning, personal finance, visiting aging parents, some travel, and more. I can also help more on the family side since my wife travels a lot for work (which she likes) and with both of us working it gets stressful trying to balance our job requests. The May timing is so I can spend a lot of time with my boys over the summer (we have a sort of summer bucket list we're developing in lieu of their normal camps).

The only caveat is that I don't hate my high-paying job and I have a pretty decent work/life balance (but still 40hrs/week and some travel) while my freedom will be somewhat limited by the kids still in school and my wife continuing to work. I don't have a single consuming passion to "retire to" although I love my many activities outside work and could easily spend a lot more time doing them plus exploring new things for a next chapter in life. So it's possible I decide to continue the OMY journey as long as things are okay at work.

Overall though I'm a lot more excited about a new life adventure than I am worried about this being a bad decision and the thought of retiring makes me a lot more happy than the thought of continuing as-is. Count me in!
Ok saveinvestbecomefree! We're counting you in and we'll pencil you in for the end of May 2023. No problem if you re-think your plans, that's why techies invented the re-boot key :mrgreen:

You may take the Very Important Award as the Youngest Retiree for 2023. We say "may" because of course the 2023 Roll Call is just starting - and in fact the year is not even here yet - so don't go celebrating with your big retirement :moneybag yet over this Great Award :beer

Thank you for sharing your glidepath to retirement, sounds wonderful and we hope it all works out smoothly. Please keep us up-to-date with your fabulous plans. Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and the Awesome Class of 2023 :D
Old Goat

Post by Old Goat »

Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:10 am
Old Goat wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:40 pm February 10, 2023 is my date. I'll be 56.5 then and with pensions/medical coverage, I'm looking forward to some extended hiking/backpacking trips. DW enjoys her career and intends to work a couple of more years.

A big welcome to this 2023 Retirement Roll Call, Old Goat :D You're on the list and in the class.

Thank you for sharing your plans and please let us know how your glidepath into retirement goes. We hope everything works out perfectly and that you enjoy these next months finalizing everything and planning for the next phase :beer

Update; Guess I need to be moved to the 2022 class. I moved my retirement date up to September 30th, 2022. Airplane tickets bought, I'll be on the Appalachian Trail starting October 1st. 😊
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Old Goat wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:57 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:10 am

Update; Guess I need to be moved to the 2022 class. I moved my retirement date up to September 30th, 2022. Airplane tickets bought, I'll be on the Appalachian Trail starting October 1st. 😊
Wow! You really know how to move :D Ok, we'll shift you over to the 2022 Retirement Class, they'll be happy to have you and we're all looking forward to photos - or at least some stories - of your Appalachian Trail hiking in the gorgeous autumn. Watch out for bears and ticks :shock:
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

COUNT ME IN !

Last week, I let my manager know that around May, I'm retiring. A couple months ago, he asked that if I do plan to retire that if I did plan to retire to give him a long notice so he could get a rec, find and hire someone and then I could help bring them up to speed.

I had wanted to end it in 2022 but things just didn't line up. Now, with Covid work from home going away, I really have no desire to go to the office or to go see customers (I'm a field applications engineer). I'd rather fill my days with doing work in the woods, keeping track of the baby Barred Owl and some gigantic hawk who both live in my woods and doing forest management of these woods, yielding firewood that's currently heating my house 100%.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:04 pm COUNT ME IN !

Last week, I let my manager know that around May, I'm retiring. A couple months ago, he asked that if I do plan to retire that if I did plan to retire to give him a long notice so he could get a rec, find and hire someone and then I could help bring them up to speed.
Hi Jack FFR1846! What a happy retirement glidepath! You're in the Class of 2023 - and now . . . for those special words that warm the heart and clear the fog - Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call !! :D

But we have news for your manager => you're irreplaceable :wink: You can train anyone you want and try to bring them up to speed, but won't be the same!
Jack FFR1846 wrote:I had wanted to end it in 2022 but things just didn't line up. Now, with Covid work from home going away, I really have no desire to go to the office or to go see customers (I'm a field applications engineer). I'd rather fill my days with doing work in the woods, keeping track of the baby Barred Owl and some gigantic hawk who both live in my woods and doing forest management of these woods, yielding firewood that's currently heating my house 100%.
Now that's neat! And now you'll have more time to post on the Bogleheads 2020 Thread of the Year - Bird Watchers - what birds are you seeing? which is still a most uplifting respite thread during any weary year. We wish you a wonderful retirement and please let us know how everything goes :happy
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Yup, joing the 2023 Punching Out Crew.

March 31, 2023...after 34 years in the Civil Service. I've lived in 6 countries and traveld to over 70 during my career. I'll be 57 and DW will be 56. In 2021, we downsized from a 4 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom Condo. Sold all of our antiques (some 400 years old) for a song. Hurt a bit at the time but don't ever think about it now. We intend to sell everything else but our phones, some clothes and our car and set out to be International Nomads.

I could have retired Feb 2022 but had a few items to check off. Wanted Covid levels to be down, especially in Africa. Had a boomerang daughter that is just now graduating from flight attendant school. And of course was hoping the economy would get out of it's slump. This last one may not actually happen. I took a large hit since Nov 2021, but have run the numbers and will press on.

We are keeping our car at first as we plan on doing a farewell to North America tour, which will last approx 7 months. Have 98 places pegged out (so far) to stop in both America and Canada, lots of National and State Parks. After this chapter, we will sell the car, then head off to Africa, Europe, India, Nepal, Asia, Australia, Hawaii, Yukon, back to America then South America. That should take us to the end of 2025. At that point, we plan on going slow mo and living in one country 3-6 months at a time.

As noted on previous posts on BH, due to the diversity of places we will be traveling to, the costs will vary substantially. So to keep it simple I'll divide my TSP Traditional by the number of months left (116 months when I begin) to age 67 then add my FERS annuity to the mix and live on that. We so far have booked the the first two months and are averaging $140 a night in lodging fees. Which is within budget.

At 67, ten years after retirement, I'm assuming we will want to grow some roots and move into the slow go years. I've arranged various annunities, including DW and my SS, to come on line. The sum totals with my FERs pension will equate to my last years salary. We won't touch our Roth IRAs and TSP Roth accounts during our travels and have them as aces in the hole incase of medical issues and/or trips after 67. Not planning on leaving any inheritance but will help our daughter when she needs it. The Germans call this giving with a warm hand vs a cold. All of this is subject to our health remaining good, but as we all know, a game changer could happen at any point.

Very excited for our next chapter and we spend most evenings now researching were we want to go and working out the logistics/costs.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

April 2023 is my time to say goodbye to the corporate world. I'll be 62 in the summer of 2023. 39+ years in the semiconductor industry with 7 different companies (twice for one company), the last half in managerial roles. My replacement has been brought on board and I've agreed to stay to fully bring him up to speed. April allows me to front load one more year for 401K with a final true up in 2024 as well as snag some other corporate goodies.

It's been a fun career which included a couple of years as an expat in Germany, a summer working in Austria, and regular visits to the Czech Republic to visit the team I'm currently responsible for. A lot of bosses along the way, some very good, some not at all, and almost none of them in between. Some great colleagues as well as some politically motivated ones, unfortunately. Didn't always leave a job voluntarily but each subsequent job was better than the prevous one!

After I leave, it's time to take care of some "deferred maintenance" projects on the house in anticipation of a sale plus downsize to we-don't-yet-know-what-or-where. Travel, more time for cycling, hobbies, watching our daughter move through her adult life and friends all await!

Due to salary and number of years in the biz, I will be near max for SS which I plan on taking at age 70 with wife somewhat less from SS and also planning on taking it at 70. Will be using my custom form of ABW for withdrawals which today appears to result in spending capability above what we spend today, even with ACA med insurance added. Depending on how things go between Jan and April, I might have a little bit of space for Roth conversions in 2023, but the bigger opportunity is the following year. Taxable account only contains stock. IRA/401K's contain TIPS which are set up for duration matching to generate a very steady, inflation adjusted income stream. All international stock is held in the IRA with a little bit of US as well. Over time will convert at least the stock in the IRA/401K to Roth.

A simplified Plan B for my wife should I pre-decease is also in place and documented.

Cheers.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

backofbeyond wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:17 am Yup, joing the 2023 Punching Out Crew.

March 31, 2023...after 34 years in the Civil Service. I've lived in 6 countries and traveld to over 70 during my career. I'll be 57 and DW will be 56. In 2021, we downsized from a 4 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom Condo. Sold all of our antiques (some 400 years old) for a song. Hurt a bit at the time but don't ever think about it now. We intend to sell everything else but our phones, some clothes and our car and set out to be International Nomads.

I could have retired Feb 2022 but had a few items to check off. Wanted Covid levels to be down, especially in Africa. Had a boomerang daughter that is just now graduating from flight attendant school. And of course was hoping the economy would get out of it's slump. This last one may not actually happen. I took a large hit since Nov 2021, but have run the numbers and will press on.

We are keeping our car at first as we plan on doing a farewell to North America tour, which will last approx 7 months. Have 98 places pegged out (so far) to stop in both America and Canada, lots of National and State Parks. After this chapter, we will sell the car, then head off to Africa, Europe, India, Nepal, Asia, Australia, Hawaii, Yukon, back to America then South America. That should take us to the end of 2025. At that point, we plan on going slow mo and living in one country 3-6 months at a time.

As noted on previous posts on BH, due to the diversity of places we will be traveling to, the costs will vary substantially. So to keep it simple I'll divide my TSP Traditional by the number of months left (116 months when I begin) to age 67 then add my FERS annuity to the mix and live on that. We so far have booked the the first two months and are averaging $140 a night in lodging fees. Which is within budget.

At 67, ten years after retirement, I'm assuming we will want to grow some roots and move into the slow go years. I've arranged various annunities, including DW and my SS, to come on line. The sum totals with my FERs pension will equate to my last years salary. We won't touch our Roth IRAs and TSP Roth accounts during our travels and have them as aces in the hole incase of medical issues and/or trips after 67. Not planning on leaving any inheritance but will help our daughter when she needs it. The Germans call this giving with a warm hand vs a cold. All of this is subject to our health remaining good, but as we all know, a game changer could happen at any point.

Very excited for our next chapter and we spend most evenings now researching were we want to go and working out the logistics/costs.

Hi backofbeyond and a big Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! You're in the Punching Out Crew in the Great Class of 2023 :D

Thank you for your interesting pre-retirement planning and glidepath. You really know how to downsize! Very impressive. Life moves on and before you know it, you'll be out on the open road 8-)

"Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road."

--- "The Song of the Open Road," by Walt Whitman, 1856.

We wish you all the best in your new adventures and hope your planning is perfection and everything is an enjoyable retirement. Please let us know where you are and how you're doing :beer
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

I thought I would be in the Class of 2024 or 2025 after I turn 60. DH is now urging me to make my break next year due to my autoimmune issues. There is so much to consider, primarily insurance options. Also, the idea of not having a paycheck is strange and disconcerting—I’ve worked continuously since I was 16. The anxiety is real, yet the allure of retirement is too strong to ignore.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I will be eligible for retirement Jan 1, 2023 but I will probably stay on 2-5 more years. We are still upgrading the small farm we live on and building a SS bucket/bridge to 70. Spouse is likely to continue working until we are both Medicare eligible. There are still a lot of moving pieces and flexible plans; have to wait and see how it goes.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

deleted
Last edited by Zeno on Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.