Least Expensive Ground Clear Weed and Grass Killer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AS7911

Least Expensive Ground Clear Weed and Grass Killer

Post by AS7911 »

I need to (periodically) kill a large area of all weeds, grass, and vegetation. Am having trouble identifying a product that works very well, and clears the most area per unit cost. From basic online (amazon, home depot, etc) its not easy to tell mixing ratio's for concentrate, or how many square feet the product will kill, so a simple cost per gallon of concentrate calculation is not of much use. Anyone done that research and care to pass along their recommendations?
jebmke

Re: Least Expensive Ground Clear Weed and Grass Killer

Post by jebmke »

if you have a really large area I'd check with a local ag supply distributor and get a generic glyphosate that they sell to farmers and turf management companies. Glyphosate is what my turf guy did on our "lawn" when we did a complete kill and seed. He did two applications 2-3 weeks apart. It is also what local farmers use here when the kill off the ground cover prior to planting.

How big an area are you talking about?
Last edited by jebmke on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
coffeecat16

Post by coffeecat16 »

This might be a little more ~natural~ than you are looking for, but I have had great luck with a homemade solution that I put into a 1-2 gallon sprayer from any hardware store.

The Recipe:
- 1 gallon of white vinegar. A regular household white vinegar works. It may take two or three days longer to kill the weeds with the lower concentration, but it does work.
- 1 cup of table salt. Stir/shake the solution until the salt is fully dissolved.
- 1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap. Dawn dish soap or a store brand soap both work. This helps the vinegar and salt solution stick to the weeds and grass.

All in all, the solution will cost you less than $5 per gallon with the primary cost coming from the white vinegar. The sprayed area will start to die out after a day or two. You can certainly spray the area again to further kill anything else before pulling the weeds.
Topic Author
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 pm
I would guess 3,000-5,000 sqf... in total, though it is not a simple rectangular shaped area.

Ideally, I would like to kill weeds once every spring (May) after the heavy snow melt... but it seems like it may need to be done more often, unless these products advertised as lasting 12 months, really do. And 6 months is probably good enough, as winter (and snow cover) will take care of the rest of the year.
hnd

Post by hnd »

I worked for a commercial landscaper while in college 20 years ago. he had been in business for a long period of time. He said he'd tried every product to try and save a few bucks here and there. in the end he always came back to Round up. My own 20 year war with weeds has near mimic'ed this as well. I've tried everything under the sun. my wife is chemical averse and freaks out over anything that is over processed and full of chemicals. she's done dishsoap/vinegar crap in hopes of finding some remedy but it never happens. we always revert back to Round up.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby you're in luck. Pick up a gallon of their 41% Glyphosate Concentrate. You mix it at 3 ounces to a gallon of water. A jug of that will last you a long long time.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Generic glyphosate is cheap. I would not buy more than I needed to use in a couple of weeks. I do not think there is any reason to save $5 to $10 by buying more than you can use right away. Just buy more when later you need it in a month or two. There is no need to store this stuff for longer because you will just turn your garage / shed / kitchen into a toxic waste dump and the stuff degrades over time especially with heat.

Once again, you do not want to have something last you a long, long time. Just buy new when you need it and use it all up.

And "Round up" mentioned previously is just branded glyphosate.

And if you do not want seeds to sprout, then treat with Preen, too, according to the directions.

Finally, what will hold the soil in place if you kill everything?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

arf1410 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:53 pm
jebmke wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 pm
I would guess 3,000-5,000 sqf... in total, though it is not a simple rectangular shaped area.

Ideally, I would like to kill weeds once every spring (May) after the heavy snow melt... but it seems like it may need to be done more often, unless these products advertised as lasting 12 months, really do. And 6 months is probably good enough, as winter (and snow cover) will take care of the rest of the year.
Most of these products need the plants to be “growing” to work and the temperature can’t be too cold. In my area there are also restrictions on how and when you can apply more than simple spot treatment and treatment around any aquatic area is strictly regulated. I use glyphosate with a surfactant to treat some noxious vines like English Ivy, Poison Ivy and wild grape. The surfactant helps it stick to the shiny leaves. There are special surfactants used around aquatic areas here when treating invasive plants like Phragmite.

2,4D works reasonably well on broadleaf plants and won’t kill grass normally if you are wanting only to take out the weeds and have grass plants survive.

Some invasive stuff like sedges don’t respond to glyphosate or 2,4D so in some cases you really have to know what you are attempting to clear.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

I can't speak to the longevity of Glyphosate and how fast it degrades in storage over time, but I'm just now using up the last of a gallon (of concentrate) I bought 4 years ago and it's as potent as ever.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Yooper wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:05 pm If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby you're in luck. Pick up a gallon of their 41% Glyphosate Concentrate. You mix it at 3 ounces to a gallon of water. A jug of that will last you a long long time.
This. You can also order it online but it will cost more.
Topic Author
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:14 pm
75% of what I want clear is a gravel driveway, and parking area.
Topic Author
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

Woodshark wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:28 pm
Yooper wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:05 pm If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby you're in luck. Pick up a gallon of their 41% Glyphosate Concentrate. You mix it at 3 ounces to a gallon of water. A jug of that will last you a long long time.
This. You can also order it online but it will cost more.
Looks like home depot has a 32 oz bottle of 41%, for only a little more cost (per unit) than getting a full gallon... with free delivery to home or nearby store... so that may be the best choice\ for me.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

arf1410 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:30 pm
I had the same problem. At some point, I sprung to have the gravel covered with chip and tar. It retains the same look as a gravel driveway but does not easily allow anything to grow. A couple spots sometimes sprout a weed or tuft of grass - these can be dealt with with a spot spray or even a flamethrower (propane weed burner, lol).
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

A medical-related post was deleted.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Would a flame thrower work? You can buy them at tracot supply, etc, I believe. They hook up to a normal barbecue propane tank. They are meant for clearing ditches, etc.

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-t ... _4QAvD_BwE

If not, go with roundup. That’s what it’s for.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Normchad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:14 pm Would a flame thrower work? You can buy them at tracot supply, etc, I believe. They hook up to a normal barbecue propane tank. They are meant for clearing ditches, etc.

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-t ... _4QAvD_BwE

If not, go with roundup. That’s what it’s for.
People around here use these all the time on gravel drives etc -- and depending on the material, patios. Some patio material will not stand up to the heat. These do have the advantage of not having chemicals perc into the ground. And if you have a large batch of creme brulee to finish or you need to crisp up a batch of wings....
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Gasoline
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 pm if you have a really large area I'd check with a local ag supply distributor and get a generic glyphosate that they sell to farmers and turf management companies. Glyphosate is what my turf guy did on our "lawn" when we did a complete kill and seed. He did two applications 2-3 weeks apart. It is also what local farmers use here when the kill off the ground cover prior to planting.

+1
We're surrounded by large (300,000 acre plus) ranches and hay growing and bailing operations.
Smaller" residential properties average 20-100 acres (mini ranches sort of) each.

The local "Tractor Supply" and farm supply warehouse stores carry generic glyphosate. . .(various spel/roundup, etc) in large jugs. It's best to spray at the right time of year and when there's leaves on the plants since it's absorbed that way. Mix it up as strong as what's needed.

The chemical breaks down in the soil and weather so it only lasts for a certain amount of time and the weeds will come up again. But, it does do the job at a reasonable price and effort, especially if you have a lot to do.
IE: we do 1000's of feet of fence lines and cross fencing lines every 1-2 years or so (depends on weather), for example. We use a large tank on an UTV trailer.

One large jug of this stuff can last a long time if you're just hand spraying weeds. And, as far as I know, it lasts for years just sitting.

Hope this helps.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ekid

Post by ekid »

" ranches and hay growing and bailing operations."

Sure they're not baling instead? Reason I ask is irrigation could be described as bailing...

To OP: Tordon is a more permanent fix.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:24 pmGasoline
how so? Pouring gasoline on the ground is not lawful in many places.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

coffeecat16 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:40 pm - 1 cup of table salt.
Salt is effective but will stop plants from growing there for a very long time. Make sure you won't want to grow anything there again.

Cardboard or plastic weighed down with bricks is nearly free and a very effective grass killer, but you have to do it in the warm season and it takes a month or two.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I have a humongous gravel driveway that had massive weed growth. I got a 500,000 BTU Flame King Torch which connects to a regular grill propane tank. It’s awesome. Cost me $45 at Amazon.

Safety tip: use after rain.
ekid

Post by ekid »

abner kravitz wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:03 pm
I have a humongous gravel driveway that had massive weed growth. I got a 500,000 BTU Flame King Torch which connects to a regular grill propane tank. It’s awesome. Cost me $45 at Amazon.

Safety tip: use after rain.
Only for a short time with a grill tank. The liquid gets cold and reduces pressure- BTU goes to btu!
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

I found the weed burners to be a waste of time. Sure, it kills the weeds that are there, and you only need to singe it not reduce it to ashes. But other stuff keeps coming up right after, so you're constantly burning weeks. In fact, sometime it seems worse. Kind of like how things in a forest sprout up after a forest fire, some of my dirt areas I burnt did the same thing.

Salt didn't work for me either. It did reduce the grass from growing, but not the weeds.

Ortho Ground Clear seems to have some persistence. They say a year, but I've found no more than 6 months and more likely 4 months. And a gallon doesn't go very far. I think it worked better 20 year ago and they have crippled it now.

Perhaps the cheapest thing is to use Round Up to kill what is growing (even the little tiny ones just sprouting low near the dirt), and then apply a pre-emergent herbicide such as Preen to try and stop the new things from sprouting. You'll need to repeat both of these about every 4 months during growing season, and maybe more often.

If you're doing a large area like a driveway, consider using a tow behind sprayer if you have a lawn tractor or ATV that has 12V available to run the pump. I spray my 3 acres of grass with 2-4D based weed killers with a 20 gallon tow behind sprayer (it sprays an 8 foot wide swath). I use a blue dye so I can see where I have sprayed and have calibrated it based on speed so I know how strong to make the mix. Much quicker than walking with a hand tank and doing spot weed control, although I do have to do that later in the year as some weeds are either resistant or didn't get hit enough from the towed sprayer.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
Topic Author
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

suemarkp wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:54 pm
Perhaps the cheapest thing is to use Round Up to kill what is growing (even the little tiny ones just sprouting low near the dirt), and then apply a pre-emergent herbicide such as Preen to try and stop the new things from sprouting. You'll need to repeat both of these about every 4 months during growing season, and maybe more often.
Is it practical to use Preen on a large gravel driveway? is it relatively pet safe? ie, a dog walking around, getting it on it's paws?
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

I buy Preen in the largest containers I can get to keep the price down (Costco usually has them in the spring) and I use a hand broadcast spreader that throws it about 2 to 3 feet around me. It may take a lot for a driveway, so not sure how cost effective it is. I've never done a back to back comparison of Preen'd area vs nothing to see how effective it is. Stuff still comes up in my Preen'd beds, so it isn't perfect. If you're going to do a wide Roundup spray anyway, then maybe the Preen isn't worth it. It should reduce the weeks, but it isn't going to stop all of them (especially grass).

Supposedly, Preen is safe for pets once it has been watered in and then dries (unless your pets are frogs or fish). The best thing would be to Preen and water it in or have it rain. Then swath spray Roundup which will kill the active weeds and provide some more water to dissolve the Preen. Then walk the dogs on it the next day.

If the driveway is so long you can't water it effectively, and rain isn't often (or it rains in torrents and washes it all away), Preen may not be a good choice.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
nhs76

Post by nhs76 »

We've covered a large, weedy area of our front yard with tarps for the purpose of restarting a new, healthy lawn. Seems to have worked well, except that not all tarps are created equal. A heavy, brown tarp has worked well; the medium-weight, blue plastic tarps we bought at Menards act more like greenhouses. I've even got ideas about using a blue tarp to shelter new garden plants next spring.