[Inexpensive] apple watch (only) plan? [T-Mobile, others?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie003

[Inexpensive] apple watch (only) plan? [T-Mobile, others?]

Post by newbie003 »

I've been trying to find an inexpensive way to add an apple watch cellular plan, and aside from Visible where it's just $5 to add an apple watch line to an existing plan, most others I found to be a lot more expensive (combined between plan and apple watch plan).

In any case, whether or not you agree with the above, I'm now specifically asking about T-Mobile, as it seems that (per the screenshots below) I can add just an apple watch cellular plan, no need to have a regular phone plan. Looks like it's $20/month, or $10 if I have existing service with them (I think that's what the 'digits' means).

Does anyone have any experience with this/can you confirm that I can indeed add an apple watch only plan for $20? And do you know if I need to buy the watch from them or can I bring my own? And would a series 3 work or is that too old?

Thank you!

beardsicles

Re: T-Mobile apple watch (only) plan?

Post by beardsicles »

Google Fi, you can get data-only SIMs.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

beardsicles wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:32 pm Google Fi, you can get data-only SIMs.
The apple watch doesn't take a physical sim, plus I'm pretty sure that google fi does not work with apple watches.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Here's an alternative for $10/mo (scroll down to change the country): https://www.truphone.com/consumer/esim-for-watch/

I haven't used them for Apple Watch, but their eSIM works great on the iPhone.

And yes, "DIGITS" means you have existing service with T-Mobile, so Truphone is cheaper if you don't.
z91

Post by z91 »

I had this same issue a few weeks ago. I started using TruPhone for 9.99 a month and it's been working great:
https://www.truphone.com/consumer/esim-for-watch/#plans

Good luck, it's very confusing with the watch plans. Not everyone really understands them.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

z91 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 pm I had this same issue a few weeks ago. I started using TruPhone for 9.99 a month and it's been working great:

Good luck, it's very confusing with the watch plans. Not everyone really understands them.
To confirm, you were able to get an Apple Watch to work?
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

newbie003 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:34 pm
beardsicles wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:32 pm Google Fi, you can get data-only SIMs.
The apple watch doesn't take a physical sim, plus I'm pretty sure that google fi does not work with apple watches.
Yeah, no one uses physical sims anymore. I’m typing this from an e-sim iPhone on Google Fi. Possible Apple hasn’t added Fi to the compatibility list though, they kinda control that.
z91

Post by z91 »

newbie003 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:46 pm
z91 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 pm I had this same issue a few weeks ago. I started using TruPhone for 9.99 a month and it's been working great:

Correct. We have an apple watch SE with cellular and it works fine. It's for our son to track his location when he is out and about. No iphone is linked to it, other than my wife's iphone for initial setup. If you get an older watch without family setup you'll probably have to pair it with a dedicated iphone.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

beardsicles wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:49 pm
newbie003 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:34 pm
Yeah, no one uses physical sims anymore. I’m typing this from an e-sim iPhone on Google Fi. Possible Apple hasn’t added Fi to the compatibility list though, they kinda control that.
Not an Apple problem. Google Fi doesn't support any wearables.
Exhilarate

Post by Exhilarate »

If a standalone watch plan isn't a requirement and you don't mind having your iPhone number also on T-Mobile, their best deal is the 500 MB "Paired Digits" wearable plan for $5/month (with auto pay). Been using this for about a year and quite happy with it. Calls seamlessly ring on both your watch and phone, even when out with just the watch. Way more data than can realistically be exhausted on a watch.

No experience with a Series 3, but I vaguely recall that AW are not locked and you could buy it anywhere.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Exhilarate wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:23 pm If a standalone watch plan isn't a requirement and you don't mind having your iPhone number also on T-Mobile, their best deal is the 500 MB "Paired Digits" wearable plan for $5/month (with auto pay). Been using this for about a year and quite happy with it. Calls seamlessly ring on both your watch and phone, even when out with just the watch. Way more data than can realistically be exhausted on a watch.

No experience with a Series 3, but I vaguely recall that AW are not locked and you could buy it anywhere.
Thank you. What is the total cost between phone line and the $5 wearable?
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

z91 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:40 pm
newbie003 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:46 pm

Correct. We have an apple watch SE with cellular and it works fine. It's for our son to track his location when he is out and about. No iphone is linked to it, other than my wife's iphone for initial setup. If you get an older watch without family setup you'll probably have to pair it with a dedicated iphone.
This is great, thank you. Looks perfect and exactly like I'm looking for.

Follow-up question; if we use my son's iphone (currently on Red Pocket which doesn't support apple watch) to pair with the watch and then setup service on the watch with truphone, can the watch still be used along with the phone (to receive alerts from the phone, control music on the phone... just like a 'regular' watch would pair and work with a phone)? Or once the phone is on a standalone plan (using family setup), will it no longer work as a traditionally paired watch?
Topic Author
newbie003

Cheapest total cell plan (for a single line) with apple watch

Post by newbie003 »

[Merged into existing thread with overlapping information - see below - Moderator Misenplace]
So far the cheapest I've found is:

Visible: $25 mobile plan + $5 for watch = $30 [EDIT: actually $40 + $5 = $45]
US Cellular: $29 mobile plan + $10 for watch = $39 [EDIT: not available in all states]
T-Mobile: $45 + $10 = $55
AT&T: $50 + $10 = $60
Verizon: $70 (yikes they charge a lot for a single line plan unless I'm not looking in the right spot) + $10 watch = $80

Anything else you can think of?

I know I can use the family setup option and get a cheaper watch line only, but then the watch won't work with a phone (to get alerts, control the phone, etc.), so I'm trying to find the cheapest option to get a plan with watch so it 100% works together.

We're currently using Red Pocket and US Mobile so we can't add the watch to these plans.

Thank you.
Last edited by newbie003 on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

newbie003 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:26 pm
Does anyone have any experience with this/can you confirm that I can indeed add an apple watch only plan for $20? And do you know if I need to buy the watch from them or can I bring my own? And would a series 3 work or is that too old?
A Series 3 is too old. You need a Series 4. See the "What you need" section of the link below:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768
Ependytis

Re: Cheapest total cell plan (for a single line) with apple watch

Post by Ependytis »

I have an iPhone and use Tello. Tello is $15 per month 2 G data for me. I don't know if you can use Tello with an Apple Watch, but you may want to check them out. Good luck. I'm curious to see what you find out. All the best.
Topic Author
newbie003

Re: Cheapest total cell plan (for a single line) with apple watch

Post by newbie003 »

Ependytis wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:20 pm I have an iPhone and use Tello. Tello is $15 per month 2 G data for me. I don't know if you can use Tello with an Apple Watch, but you may want to check them out. Good luck. I'm curious to see what you find out. All the best.
Thank you but no apple watch option on Tello :(
Misenplace

Re: [Inexpensive] apple watch (only) plan? [T-Mobile, others?]

Post by Misenplace »

OP, I've merged your two topics on finding the best mobile plan to use alone with an Apple Watch into one topic, and amended the title. The information and suggestions in the two threads overlapped, and it is best to keep it all in one place.
Thanks for updating us (4 posts up) with the information you have found so far.

Moderator Misenplace