Pantry Inventory and Grocery Shopping in Time of Inflation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

Re: Pantry Inventory and Grocery Shopping in Time of Inflation

Post by jebmke »

Ivygirl wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:22 pm
jebmke wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:14 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:01 pm You know so I want only the best for you, so please do not take offense that is not intended… I think the lack of support may be because you may be buying more than you need and at the same time creating more unnecessary work for yourself, driven by a very understandable feeling of fear (you mentioned fears about the U.S. currency, inflation, supply chain and friends and neighbors in need whom you wish to help).

If you didn’t buy so much extra, you would not need to store it around the house and track it, lest it inadvertently expire, causing waste. Eating too much canned food is widely considered not healthy due to the BPA and preservatives, but that is another issue. Your overall expense would be lower as well. Stores will always sell us food - TV stories sensationalize the problems.
When I was head of international finance for my company, our Brasilian subsidiary kept buying large quantities of stuff from our US (parent). They kept running short of cash so for a while the parent company loaned them cash. When I looked at their balance sheet it was clear that they had not been collecting on time from customers and their inventory kept growing.

I sent an auditor down there but the report was that their books were clean. Something didn't smell right. I was sure their books were fine -- in Brasil, nothing moves without a piece of paper.

First I put them on credit hold; the US credit department had never done this with a wholly owned subsidiary so they looked at me like I was crazy. That got them focused on collecting from customers (generating cash) but their inventory was still a problem.

When I went down there, I found that they had way too much stuff. Much of it was rapidly becoming obsolete. They had actually had to lease a second warehouse to store the excess.

But they knew where everything was - their records were impeccable.
If their records really were impeccable, those records stated what items in their inventory were rapidly becoming obsolete. Rather like food expiration dates. I agree with you that inventory should be well-managed.
Yeah, should have but I stepped on their air hose anyway. Was the blunt instrument to get them under control and ditch the extra warehouse.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Family of four. LIve in about 1300 sq ft. Have about a 8-9 month food pantry. Some thoughts:

The simplest way is to have a deep pantry consisting mainly of basic items with a long shelf life. Figure out how much you use per week and how long the shelf life is and buy say two thirds of it. For instance, we go through about one kg of rice per week. The rice we buy has a shelf life of about 18 months. Twelve months would be 52 kg. So that is what we have and we buy 1 kg each week as part of regular shopping to replenish. Doesn't require keeping any kind of up to date inventory and I take stock with the kids about once every 6 months and adjust accordingly for any deviation or to push earlier due items to the front. Never had an issue with food waste. Do something like this with all the basics. Now, if there was ever to be any food shortages we would simply eat more of the same meals and less meals with items of a shorter shelf life. So, in the example above that would eventually mean 2 kg of rice per week instead.

Canned versions take up a lot of space. If space is a premium minimize canned goods for meat and a minimal of vegetables that would otherwise be hard to source or grow.

If you are concerned about food shortages have a look at what was rationed or less available in your area during the Great Depression and WWII and selectively stock just those in your pantry. Assume the rest will be somewhat available or would be part of a Victory Garden.

Rice, beans and peanut butter are all gluten free and can go a long way if cost is a consideration.

Dried milk is likely much more cost effective and space saving than long life milk.

We buy much of our fresh meat, fruit and vegetables on their expiration date when they sell at 50-75 percent off.
windrose

Post by windrose »

First, for all those who are letting milk spoil.....you can freeze milk. And buttermilk. And a lot of other things. Just pour it into jars or sandwich bags in the serving sizes you most use, and take them out when you need them.

As for the questions regarding how to cut back and inflation----

Based on some of the foods you have posted about, I can see lots of ways you can cut back--you need to cook from scratch more frequently, and stop buying pre-made things. I think you will be very surprised at the savings.

Bone broth, jarred tomato sauce, packets of beans and quinoa--you should make these and save some money. You mentioned a tex-mex meal you make, but you are using canned beans, jarred salsa, and tortilla chips. I make a similar dish (except with Cuban black beans that I make myself) and it probably costs less than 1/2 of what you are paying to make that dish.

If you are putting the chips on the bottom, why not just use corn tortillas? If you were putting them on the top, where the chips were going to retain their crunch, it might make sense, but on the bottom they are going to absorb all the sauce, returning to their original form as a corn tortilla. A pack of corn tortillas cost less than a bag of chips...or better yet, try to make your own tortillas. Make your own beans from scratch. Make your own salsa...or if you don't have the ingredients on hand, use the Aldi version of Rotel, which is less expensive than jarred salsa.

Add me to the list of those who think your pantry inventory is neither time nor cost efficient. Meal planning in advance will solve most of your issues.

There is no reason you can't change it with the seasons, and if you ate the same thing every Monday, Tuesday, etc., that gives you 21 meals. If a serving of fruit or vegetables is 1/2 cup, lets say you have 3 per meal....that is a LOT of variety. And you still have 21 spaces for different whole grains and proteins. I suspect what you are really objecting to is lack of spontaneity....which is a different issue. You will have to decide if you value that more than saving money. But keeping a mini mart of things on hand so you can decide on a whim what to eat on a certain day is going to cost you more and be more complicated due to inventory management than just making a meal plan.

As for inflation, you have a few options--Make it from scratch, try to find another source, make a substitution, or eliminate it entirely. If none of those options sound appealing, your only other choice is to eliminate some other cost in your overall budget to make room for the now higher priced item.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

Ivygirl wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:24 pm
jebmke wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:18 pm
Ivygirl wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:15 pm The Sensitive Recipe Marinara is what I need (no onions or garlic)
so, cooked tomatoes with a few herbs tossed in?
Same way heaven is just the sky with a few angels on clouds tossed in. :wink:
If there are no onions and garlic in heaven I shall not go.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Just curious - are those of you with the 8-9 month deep pantries living in remote, erhm, central, areas of the country where it is harder to get food? I hear inflation is higher there so perhaps that’s part of it?
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm Just curious - are those of you with the 8-9 month deep pantries living in remote, erhm, central, areas of the country where it is harder to get food? I hear inflation is higher there so perhaps that’s part of it?
I live in a small city in a rural area in the central part of my state (where every third business seems to have the word "farm", "heartland," or "Midwest" in its name). There's absolutely no shortage of food here, and the prices are probably less than you pay. I know I pay less for gas than my sisters who live in Big Metropolitan Area upstate. Honestly, where do you get this information?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

cs412a wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:22 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm Just curious - are those of you with the 8-9 month deep pantries living in remote, erhm, central, areas of the country where it is harder to get food? I hear inflation is higher there so perhaps that’s part of it?
I live in a small city in a rural area in the central part of my state (where every third business seems to have the word "farm", "heartland," or "Midwest" in its name). There's absolutely no shortage of food here, and the prices are probably less than you pay. I know I pay less for gas than my sisters who live in Big Metropolitan Area upstate. Honestly, where do you get this information?
Then why do you need to store 9 months of food in your home?
Newspapers report some prices are higher in the Midwest due to transportation costs.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:25 pm
Newspapers report some prices are higher in the Midwest due to transportation costs.
You must have me confused with someone else. I don't store 9 months of food in my small galley kitchen.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

cs412a wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:27 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:25 pm
You must have me confused with someone else. I don't store 9 months of food in my small galley kitchen.
I directed my original comment to those, such as commenter halfnine above, who stated that they store 8-9 months of food in their home. Glad you have a low cost and plentiful supply of food. Not trying to be argumentative, the WSJ and other sources have been reporting on inflation and supply chain issues affecting deliveries to the Midwest.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

halfnine wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:27 pm Canned versions take up a lot of space. If space is a premium minimize canned goods for meat and a minimal of vegetables that would otherwise be hard to source or grow.
I have a wire can rack that is 13 inches tall, 13 inches deep, and 17 inches wide. It holds 36 cans. Multiple racks are stackable. That's pretty compact.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

windrose wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:52 pm Based on some of the foods you have posted about, I can see lots of ways you can cut back--you need to cook from scratch more frequently, and stop buying pre-made things. I think you will be very surprised at the savings.

Bone broth, jarred tomato sauce, packets of beans and quinoa--you should make these and save some money. You mentioned a tex-mex meal you make, but you are using canned beans, jarred salsa, and tortilla chips. I make a similar dish (except with Cuban black beans that I make myself) and it probably costs less than 1/2 of what you are paying to make that dish.

If you are putting the chips on the bottom, why not just use corn tortillas? If you were putting them on the top, where the chips were going to retain their crunch, it might make sense, but on the bottom they are going to absorb all the sauce, returning to their original form as a corn tortilla. A pack of corn tortillas cost less than a bag of chips...or better yet, try to make your own tortillas. Make your own beans from scratch. Make your own salsa...or if you don't have the ingredients on hand, use the Aldi version of Rotel, which is less expensive than jarred salsa.
A canned or jarred food contains inside it the energy that was used to cook it. One is buying both food, and energy, in the can. One is also buying time, and less need to run the dishwasher.

The bean dish can use tortillas, I stated so in an edit at the bottom of that comment. It's also a way to use up stale tortilla chips, since yes, they absorb all the sauce. The dish is not intended to be crunchy. There are versions of it that stack up rice, sour cream, green onions, etc.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Walkure wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:55 pm
Ivygirl wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:15 pm The Sensitive Recipe Marinara is what I need (no onions or garlic)
Trust me, Rao's sauce would waft you there! :sharebeer
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Walkure wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:55 pm
They are in Rao’s spicy arrabbiata sauce!
windrose

Post by windrose »

Ivygirl wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:01 pm A canned or jarred food contains inside it the energy that was used to cook it. One is buying both food, and energy, in the can. One is also buying time, and less need to run the dishwasher.

The bean dish can use tortillas, I stated so in an edit at the bottom of that comment. It's also a way to use up stale tortilla chips, since yes, they absorb all the sauce. The dish is not intended to be crunchy. There are versions of it that stack up rice, sour cream, green onions, etc.
With the canned or jarred food, you are also paying for the salary of the company staff, the overhead of the facility, the package it comes in, the transportation costs, the advertising and marketing, the costs associated with the store to unload and sell, etc. The manufacturer gets some things wholesale, but generally it will cost a lot less money to make it yourself. Of course there are some exceptions to this-you have to consider the ingredients and the cost/ease of getting them.

I agree that buying pre-made buys time....but in this case I was addressing how you could cut back on spending, since you asked that question.

About 10 years ago, I was saving up for something, but was not in the mood to pick up extra shifts at work. I decided to cut my food budget instead, and allowed myself $20.00 per WEEK, including tax. I should note here that I am a vegetarian, so I eat rice and beans on purpose, but I think I could have included some meat if I had limited it to a side dish.

I expected it to be challenging, but it turned out, from a food cost standpoint, it wasn't challenging at all. It WAS time consuming at first, but only for about the first 2 weeks. Basically, I only purchased raw materials. If I wanted it, I had to make it from scratch. Once I got a basic menu in place, it took less time as I developed a routine.

I do spend more now, because I might buy higher cost things like the real Parmigiano Reggiano, but I still make most things from scratch. It not only costs less but tastes better, IMO.

In the tortilla dish, if you are using up the stale chips, that is different. I thought you were buying them just for that. The more you cook from scratch, the more you will find/make use of recipes to help you do this.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Ivygirl wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:33 am
"What is your food budget?" is a legitimate question on a thread about Pantry Inventory and Grocery Shopping in Time of Inflation, and I'm not at all reluctant to share mine.

There are going to be some ground rules though. First, you do not imply again that I am being insincere. I take this subject seriously, and expect to be taken seriously myself. If I tell you something, you can believe it.
I'm sorry that that was how I sounded. I don't believe you're insincere; I just am trying to sort out some different goals and practices going on in your post. Can you in return assume that I post in good faith?
Second, you also share your own grocery budget, as well as the kinds of things you buy and eat, also anything you may have had to give up to keep that budget constant in time of inflation.
Sure. It's not that different from yours. It's $300 per month, including the nonfoodstuffs and any prescription costs, which fortunately are pretty low. But I don't have a pet and I don't drink coffee (I'm okay with a froofy coffee drink sometimes but I don't brew it) or wine, so that accounts for the difference there. In months when my Crohn's flares up it goes higher but other parts of the budget (entertainment and car costs) go lower, so the overall is the same.

So far inflation hasn't broken it. A lot of meals are soup, usually dried-bean based, with rice involved as well or sometimes noodles; my version of your deep pantry is a little deep freezer. In summer especially many meals are fruit and cheese in various combos and mixed green salads with fruits and nuts. When I was going into the office I also did a lot of bento-type lunches with leftovers, little quiches, rice, that kind of thing. I'm not a vegetarian but mostly meat is just for soups, except when the Crohn's flares up and I need to eat more protein, so I will roast up a chicken and put what I don't eat into soup. So there's usually a couple of soups or stews cooked per month and then I coast without soupmaking through the hot months. I don't store up a ton in the pantry itself; there's a basket of a few dried bean bags and a shelf of various noodles and then a basket with some Crohn's-safe stuff, plus stuff like herbs and nuts, but it's all pretty reliably available and easy to substitute so 2-3 bags overall is generally fine. In good Crohn's months I will splash out on a bag of Tate's chocolate chip cookies.

I've never thought you sounded bad at money, and you clearly keep a firm hand on that budget. But you've stated a goal for contributing to your Roth that you're having trouble meeting and I thought that might be something you wanted to explore; you can be virtuous and capable and still not be getting to where you want to go. I hope you find a way to get there.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

halfnine wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:27 pm Family of four. LIve in about 1300 sq ft. Have about a 8-9 month food pantry. Some thoughts:

The simplest way is to have a deep pantry consisting mainly of basic items with a long shelf life. Figure out how much you use per week and how long the shelf life is and buy say two thirds of it. For instance, we go through about one kg of rice per week. The rice we buy has a shelf life of about 18 months. Twelve months would be 52 kg. So that is what we have and we buy 1 kg each week as part of regular shopping to replenish. Doesn't require keeping any kind of up to date inventory and I take stock with the kids about once every 6 months and adjust accordingly for any deviation or to push earlier due items to the front. Never had an issue with food waste. Do something like this with all the basics. Now, if there was ever to be any food shortages we would simply eat more of the same meals and less meals with items of a shorter shelf life. So, in the example above that would eventually mean 2 kg of rice per week instead.

Canned versions take up a lot of space. If space is a premium minimize canned goods for meat and a minimal of vegetables that would otherwise be hard to source or grow.

If you are concerned about food shortages have a look at what was rationed or less available in your area during the Great Depression and WWII and selectively stock just those in your pantry. Assume the rest will be somewhat available or would be part of a Victory Garden.

Rice, beans and peanut butter are all gluten free and can go a long way if cost is a consideration.

Dried milk is likely much more cost effective and space saving than long life milk.

We buy much of our fresh meat, fruit and vegetables on their expiration date when they sell at 50-75 percent off.
8-9 months, much respect.

I had heard that the rule for a deep pantry was "Store what you eat, and eat what you store." Usual staples like rice, dry milk, and dry beans are not something I eat often enough to keep a big supply rotated. Plus mine is a one-person household.

Cans make more sense I think for someone in my situation. Also I measure everything now against the experience of being 14 days without power. The stores had no electricity either. I ate tuna out of the can, and peanut butter.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

fposte wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:53 pm
Ivygirl wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:33 am
"What is your food budget?" is a legitimate question on a thread about Pantry Inventory and Grocery Shopping in Time of Inflation, and I'm not at all reluctant to share mine.

There are going to be some ground rules though. First, you do not imply again that I am being insincere. I take this subject seriously, and expect to be taken seriously myself. If I tell you something, you can believe it.
I'm sorry that that was how I sounded. I don't believe you're insincere; I just am trying to sort out some different goals and practices going on in your post. Can you in return assume that I post in good faith?
Second, you also share your own grocery budget, as well as the kinds of things you buy and eat, also anything you may have had to give up to keep that budget constant in time of inflation.
Sure. It's not that different from yours. It's $300 per month, including the nonfoodstuffs and any prescription costs, which fortunately are pretty low. But I don't have a pet and I don't drink coffee (I'm okay with a froofy coffee drink sometimes but I don't brew it) or wine, so that accounts for the difference there. In months when my Crohn's flares up it goes higher but other parts of the budget (entertainment and car costs) go lower, so the overall is the same.

So far inflation hasn't broken it. A lot of meals are soup, usually dried-bean based, with rice involved as well or sometimes noodles; my version of your deep pantry is a little deep freezer. In summer especially many meals are fruit and cheese in various combos and mixed green salads with fruits and nuts. When I was going into the office I also did a lot of bento-type lunches with leftovers, little quiches, rice, that kind of thing. I'm not a vegetarian but mostly meat is just for soups, except when the Crohn's flares up and I need to eat more protein, so I will roast up a chicken and put what I don't eat into soup. So there's usually a couple of soups or stews cooked per month and then I coast without soupmaking through the hot months. I don't store up a ton in the pantry itself; there's a basket of a few dried bean bags and a shelf of various noodles and then a basket with some Crohn's-safe stuff, plus stuff like herbs and nuts, but it's all pretty reliably available and easy to substitute so 2-3 bags overall is generally fine. In good Crohn's months I will splash out on a bag of Tate's chocolate chip cookies.

I've never thought you sounded bad at money, and you clearly keep a firm hand on that budget. But you've stated a goal for contributing to your Roth that you're having trouble meeting and I thought that might be something you wanted to explore; you can be virtuous and capable and still not be getting to where you want to go. I hope you find a way to get there.
Well I took you totally wrong and I apologize. I'm sorry. That's a lesson to me.

I'm having Sunday roast chicken today as a matter of fact, and making soup from it after.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:25 pm ...why do you need to store 9 months of food in your home?...
Why not? What is the downside? Plenty of upside. Stocking up when its on sale. Not having to make a grocery list every week or a run to the store to pick something up. Didn't have to visit a grocery store for 3 months during peak Covid when among other things my local hospitals were in shambles.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

OP - various books are available addressing various items that have been brought up
* emergency food stocks - a good book will talk about using your food supply as part of your menu rotation. This book talks about a lot of different emergencies, but includes managing an emergency food supply
https://www.amazon.com/Just-Case-Self-S ... 133&sr=1-1

* month of make ahead meals. I've read a couple of books on the subject - you have a day when you make a month of meals to put into the freezer, then just pull the meal out to eat each day. IMO, the recipes tend to rely heavily on carbs (pasta!), meat and sauce, and are best at feeding families of 4 or more. And yes - you would need freezer space! Nonetheless, they may give you ideas, and may be available from your local library.

Common to both of these focuses - have a group of recipes that you regularly use and have the basic ingredients for on hand.

And yes - Rao's is the BEST! Arrabiata or marinara. Marinara is available at Costco.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

OP here. Saw today a news item, relevant because it shows how all expenses are going up, making it more difficult to afford groceries. Home and auto insurance rates are set to jump in tandem:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... b04bd14905

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly how much rates will increase because they vary by location. But analysts generally estimate the average increase will range between high single-digit to low double-digit percentages.

And something I've observed myself for sure:

“Suddenly, you have people with more expensive cars driving, and then they’re driving like maniacs, and there are more accidents,” Shanker said. “It is obvious that this has had a deleterious impact on (underwriting) margins in the personal auto market.”

And one strategy for holding insurance costs down, bundling policies with one insurer, may not work any more:

“Bundlers are likely to find that the price of their auto and home policies are rising in tandem, and the insurer has little ability to offset the increase with restraining the price of another part of the policy package,” Shanker said.

More changes in grocery shopping habits from consumers are on the way when this hits.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Also saw this article today. Frugality articles almost disappeared for awhile there, or they were of poor quality, with obvious advice about not buying avocado toast, or were disapproving in tone, like only losers need frugality. Everything comes around again though. New York couple with 9 children and zero debt spend just $364 a month:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/persona ... b04bd14905

I predict a baby boom soon.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Ivygirl wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:34 am OP here. Saw today a news item, relevant because it shows how all expenses are going up, making it more difficult to afford groceries. Home and auto insurance rates are set to jump in tandem:

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly how much rates will increase because they vary by location. But analysts generally estimate the average increase will range between high single-digit to low double-digit percentages.

“Suddenly, you have people with more expensive cars driving, and then they’re driving like maniacs, and there are more accidents,” Shanker said. “It is obvious that this has had a deleterious impact on (underwriting) margins in the personal auto market.”

And one strategy for holding insurance costs down, bundling policies with one insurer, may not work any more:

“Bundlers are likely to find that the price of their auto and home policies are rising in tandem, and the insurer has little ability to offset the increase with restraining the price of another part of the policy package,” Shanker said.

More changes in grocery shopping habits from consumers are on the way when this hits.
My renewals were up only 2%. Perhaps the lesson is to not live in an area subject to wild fires, hurricanes or floods.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:58 am
Ivygirl wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:34 am OP here. Saw today a news item, relevant because it shows how all expenses are going up, making it more difficult to afford groceries. Home and auto insurance rates are set to jump in tandem:

My renewals were up only 2%. Perhaps the lesson is to not live in an area subject to wild fires, hurricanes or floods.
How about tornadoes and ice storms? Straight-line winds?

Since you live somewhere unaffected by weather, can my entire state move in with you? Can we bring along our oil rigs, cattle herds, feedlots, wheatfields, and aerospace industry?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

halfnine wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:25 pm ...why do you need to store 9 months of food in your home?...
Why not? What is the downside? Plenty of upside. Stocking up when its on sale. Not having to make a grocery list every week or a run to the store to pick something up. Didn't have to visit a grocery store for 3 months during peak Covid when among other things my local hospitals were in shambles.
Well, I guess it takes up a lot of room, it could go bad or attract pests, one might eat more than one would otherwise, one would start having to track it like the OP and eat things one perhaps doesn’t want due to expiring food, nonperishable food isn’t considered as healthy as fresh food.

But if you have the space and the other issues aren’t a problem, sure perhaps it’s an inflation hedge and your overall food costs will be lower. I keep a spare of all my essentials (extra tub of coffee, etc) and wonder if I’m overdoing it. With supply chain issues keeping a spare is more relevant than ever.

I used to stock up for about six weeks to limit how often I went, er, emailed my store shopper for delivery. [I’m urban and don’t have a car so there’s no way I can carry all that]. And I thought I was being very forward looking and efficient. 9 months worth, I’d probably go through all the cookies… but that’s me.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Ivygirl wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 am

Since you live somewhere unaffected by weather, can my entire state move in with you? Can we bring along our oil rigs, cattle herds, feedlots, wheatfields, and aerospace industry?
It is strictly a risk decision for the insurance company. If they had a large area that they considered high risk (of substantial loss to them) then they would rate it accordingly. The question is whether the pool (e.g. hurricane prone areas) is substantially higher than the average risk that is incorporated into the rate structure and is that risk rising or not. My area probably has average risk profiles and that risk isn't rising substantially; however, south of me, there are smaller areas that, if they were large enough to move the needle for insurers, probably would not be able to get flood insurance at any price. Even the emergency services (e.g. fire department) won't go in.

In summary, it is strictly a numbers game for insurers and what they can push through the state regulators.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:32 am
Well, I guess it takes up a lot of room,
It actually doesn't. We live in 1300 sq ft and it essentially fits in our utility room.

it could go bad
Only if you are pushing the quantities to the maximum

or attract pests,
No more or less than any regular pantry

one might eat more than one would otherwise
This doesn't even make any sense. Do you absolutely have no other food in your home and solely buy food on a daily basis so you don't eat too much.

one would start having to track it like the OP and eat things one perhaps doesn’t want due to expiring food,
Like I mentioned to the OP, if you have too little you have a tracking issue to maintain supplies. And, if you have too much, you have a tracking issue to prevent spoilage. But, if you are in the middle you don't have either problem. Like, I mentioned we spend a few hours tracking it once every 6 months and in return we don't have to make weekly shopping lists or runs to the store because we are missing anything. It is actually easier and less time consuming than having a minimal pantry.

nonperishable food isn’t considered as healthy as fresh food.
One doesnt' stop eating perishable food just because one has staples. And nutrition is a function of what one buys not whether it is perishable or not. The benefit of having a large pantry is I get to guarantee my family can eat healthy irregardless of external events.

But if you have the space and the other issues aren’t a problem, sure perhaps it’s an inflation hedge and your overall food costs will be lower. I keep a spare of all my essentials (extra tub of coffee, etc) and wonder if I’m overdoing it. With supply chain issues keeping a spare is more relevant than ever.

I used to stock up for about six weeks to limit how often I went, er, emailed my store shopper for delivery. [I’m urban and don’t have a car so there’s no way I can carry all that].

We are urban and don't have a car either.

And I thought I was being very forward looking and efficient. 9 months worth, I’d probably go through all the cookies… but that’s me.
We don't stock cookies so we don't have this problem.
Last edited by halfnine on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

jebmke wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 am
Ivygirl wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 am

It is strictly a risk decision for the insurance company. If they had a large area that they considered high risk (of substantial loss to them) then they would rate it accordingly. The question is whether the pool (e.g. hurricane prone areas) is substantially higher than the average risk that is incorporated into the rate structure and is that risk rising or not. My area probably has average risk profiles and that risk isn't rising substantially; however, south of me, there are smaller areas that, if they were large enough to move the needle for insurers, probably would not be able to get flood insurance at any price. Even the emergency services (e.g. fire department) won't go in.

In summary, it is strictly a numbers game for insurers and what they can push through the state regulators.
Peace, and may inflation never step on your air hose.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Ivygirl wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:28 am Peace, and may inflation never step on your air hose.
Inflation was in the mid teens when I was starting my career. My first mortgage was 14%. When I was a young adult, we had to wait in line to gas our cars and we could only buy gas on odd or even days.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

halfnine wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:09 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:32 am
Well, I guess it takes up a lot of room,
It actually doesn't. We live in 1300 sq ft and it essentially fits in our utility room.

it could go bad
Only if you are pushing the quantities to the maximum

or attract pests,
No more or less than any regular pantry

one might eat more than one would otherwise
This doesn't even make any sense. Do you absolutely have no other food in your home and solely buy food on a daily basis so you don't eat too much.

one would start having to track it like the OP and eat things one perhaps doesn’t want due to expiring food,
Like I mentioned to the OP, if you have too little you have a tracking issue to maintain supplies. And, if you have too much, you have a tracking issue to prevent spoilage. But, if you are in the middle you don't have either problem. Like, I mentioned we spend a few hours tracking it once every 6 months and in return we don't have to make weekly shopping lists or runs to the store because we are missing anything. It is actually easier and less time consuming than having a minimal pantry.

nonperishable food isn’t considered as healthy as fresh food.
One doesnt' stop eating perishable food just because one has staples. And nutrition is a function of what one buys not whether it is perishable or not. The benefit of having a large pantry is I get to guarantee my family can eat healthy irregardless of external events.

I used to stock up for about six weeks to limit how often I went, er, emailed my store shopper for delivery. [I’m urban and don’t have a car so there’s no way I can carry all that].

We are urban and don't have a car either.

And I thought I was being very forward looking and efficient. 9 months worth, I’d probably go through all the cookies… but that’s me.
We don't stock cookies so we don't have this problem.
That all makes sense (except that last line, of course). I just ordered some Pepperidge Farm Brussels cookies. These debates about food are making me hungry…
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:01 pm Eating too much canned food is widely considered not healthy due to the BPA and preservatives
BPA linings are gone from over 90% of cans now, and you can check the ingredients list to select items without preservatives. Most canned foods I come across are only preserved with salt and something to add acidity.

Consider that fresh fish is quite expensive to the average consumer, but one can obtain canned sardines, mackerel, and herring for $1-3 per serving.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:09 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:01 pm Eating too much canned food is widely considered not healthy due to the BPA and preservatives
BPA linings are gone from over 90% of cans now, and you can check the ingredients list to select items without preservatives. Most canned foods I come across are only preserved with salt and something to add acidity.

Consider that fresh fish is quite expensive to the average consumer, but one can obtain canned sardines, mackerel, and herring for $1-3 per serving.
There's a small but lively community of sardine eaters on Youtube. Some have highly entertaining content. Some have a "getting started" type of video for the uninitiated.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

OP here. I've made a small innovation in pantry management. There is one available shelf in the kitchen; I've repurposed it for a "working pantry."

After looking over the inventory spreadsheet, I can identify items with approaching expiration dates. These get removed from the spreadsheet inventory and the items are physically moved to the working pantry shelf. Then the shopping list is prepared according to what needs to be used up. As an item is moved from the deep pantry to the working pantry, it gets put on the shopping list for replacement.

Shopping list now looks like this: refried beans; salsa; GF spaghetti; instant coffee; applesauce; evaporated milk. (Plus fresh items as needed) The "buy if on sale" list is fire roasted tomatoes; sugar; and canned salmon.

The spreadsheet is really working I think. It has not been cumbersome to use. My idea of what I need or already have is a lot clearer simply from doing the data entry. Better quality information means better decisions.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

InMyDreams wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:16 pm OP - various books are available addressing various items that have been brought up
* emergency food stocks - a good book will talk about using your food supply as part of your menu rotation. This book talks about a lot of different emergencies, but includes managing an emergency food supply
https://www.amazon.com/Just-Case-Self-S ... 133&sr=1-1

* month of make ahead meals. I've read a couple of books on the subject - you have a day when you make a month of meals to put into the freezer, then just pull the meal out to eat each day. IMO, the recipes tend to rely heavily on carbs (pasta!), meat and sauce, and are best at feeding families of 4 or more. And yes - you would need freezer space! Nonetheless, they may give you ideas, and may be available from your local library.

Common to both of these focuses - have a group of recipes that you regularly use and have the basic ingredients for on hand.

And yes - Rao's is the BEST! Arrabiata or marinara. Marinara is available at Costco.
I looked at the book on Amazon and read the available pages. Unfortunately, the food storage literature relies heavily (as you have observed) on wheat, pancake mix, soup mix, bean mixes that include barley, flour, oatmeal, pasta, and cornmeal; I must eat gluten-free. (Cornmeal and oatmeal are gluten-free but frequently contaminated in harvest and processing.) This is why I have a heavier reliance on jarred and canned food.
skp

Post by skp »

I just read this thread, so a little late. People mentioned not buying wine. I suggest not buying bottled water. Buy a Brita filter, save money and open up some storage space.
csm

Post by csm »

OP, do you have a convenient Costco nearby and, if so, have you considered it? Before everyone says it isn't worthwhile for a single person, we are just two in our household (husband and me) and find Costco to provide a lot of value.

They sell Rao's in two-packs (28 oz. each) that are often on sale for less than $10 for the two-pack. You mentioned chicken and a Costco rotisserie chicken is $5. We get at least three meals, if not four, for two of us from a single chicken, and we don't even go to the trouble of boiling the bones/carcass for stock. Or since I prefer organic chicken, I'll get the fresh organic boneless chicken thighs and freeze in portions.

I bought a small vacuum sealer (Anova) that takes little space in my cupboard and break down the large packs of chicken, cold cuts and cheeses, or freeze some of the cooked chicken for later use. They sell the very good San Marzano canned tomatoes. Very good prices on nuts (walnuts, pecans, mixed) and seeds (chia, hemp, flax, sprouted pumpkin). The organic turkey breast deli meat is excellent and comes in 3 x 9 oz. pack, so we freeze them and use one at a time. Excellent price on organic eggs, including organic pre-cooked eggs in packs of 2 that will last quite a while in the fridge.

They have both Schar and Udi's gluten free bread (I think you mentioned GF but might have mixed you up with another poster). Or the Siete gluten free almond flour tortillas, Simple Mills gluten free crackers, Crunchmaster GF, Mary's Gone Crackers GF. Yes, they sell them in large boxes, but the price per ounce is significantly less than a supermarket or Walmart/Target.

You do have to be cautious because the sizes are daunting, but if you find some of your staples for a significantly lower price than your normal store, it can be worth it. If you know someone with a membership, they can buy a Costco Shopcard for you and you can go in and shop without buying the membership to try it out.

When I need smaller quantities, like fresh fruits and vegetables, I shop online at Kroger and have it delivered. There are no Kroger brick & mortar stores in my state, but they started doing delivery a while back and are fabulous. Always excellent quality and I buy my fresh organic greens (spinach, kale, spring mix), cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, fruits, etc. there among other things. The difference in price is substantial when comparing to my nearest supermarket (sometimes 25-33% price difference on certain items). They don't uncharge for delivered items and don't allow tipping. You either pay a flat $9.95 for a delivery, or $79 for a year and get free delivery for any order over $35, which is a bargain.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

skp wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:34 am I just read this thread, so a little late. People mentioned not buying wine. I suggest not buying bottled water. Buy a Brita filter, save money and open up some storage space.
You're not late. :happy Good suggestion.

I'll tell you my reasoning on the bottled water as opposed to a Brita filter pitcher. The water is for an emergency supply, and to keep it fresh and rotated, I also use it for daily drinking. I keep 7 gallons (the most recent) in a hall closet, and about the same in the kitchen by the refrigerator. When it's time to buy water, I refill the kitchen supply with bottles from the hall closet, and put the newly-purchased ones in the closet, pulling the oldest forward.

A Brita filter pitcher makes tap water taste good and filters out many undesirables, like chlorine, but it can't filter bacteria or viruses. One of the reasons I might need emergency water would be a "boil order" or chemical contaminant, or loss of utilities entirely.

I drink about a gallon every 2 days, and a gallon is $1.09. It's spring water that has been microfiltered and has received ultraviolet or ozone disinfection. The bottles have been designed with recycling in mind.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

csm wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:31 am OP, do you have a convenient Costco nearby and, if so, have you considered it? Before everyone says it isn't worthwhile for a single person, we are just two in our household (husband and me) and find Costco to provide a lot of value.

They sell Rao's in two-packs (28 oz. each) that are often on sale for less than $10 for the two-pack. You mentioned chicken and a Costco rotisserie chicken is $5. We get at least three meals, if not four, for two of us from a single chicken, and we don't even go to the trouble of boiling the bones/carcass for stock. Or since I prefer organic chicken, I'll get the fresh organic boneless chicken thighs and freeze in portions.

I bought a small vacuum sealer (Anova) that takes little space in my cupboard and break down the large packs of chicken, cold cuts and cheeses, or freeze some of the cooked chicken for later use. They sell the very good San Marzano canned tomatoes. Very good prices on nuts (walnuts, pecans, mixed) and seeds (chia, hemp, flax, sprouted pumpkin). The organic turkey breast deli meat is excellent and comes in 3 x 9 oz. pack, so we freeze them and use one at a time. Excellent price on organic eggs, including organic pre-cooked eggs in packs of 2 that will last quite a while in the fridge.

They have both Schar and Udi's gluten free bread (I think you mentioned GF but might have mixed you up with another poster). Or the Siete gluten free almond flour tortillas, Simple Mills gluten free crackers, Crunchmaster GF, Mary's Gone Crackers GF. Yes, they sell them in large boxes, but the price per ounce is significantly less than a supermarket or Walmart/Target.

You do have to be cautious because the sizes are daunting, but if you find some of your staples for a significantly lower price than your normal store, it can be worth it. If you know someone with a membership, they can buy a Costco Shopcard for you and you can go in and shop without buying the membership to try it out.

When I need smaller quantities, like fresh fruits and vegetables, I shop online at Kroger and have it delivered. There are no Kroger brick & mortar stores in my state, but they started doing delivery a while back and are fabulous. Always excellent quality and I buy my fresh organic greens (spinach, kale, spring mix), cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, fruits, etc. there among other things. The difference in price is substantial when comparing to my nearest supermarket (sometimes 25-33% price difference on certain items). They don't uncharge for delivered items and don't allow tipping. You either pay a flat $9.95 for a delivery, or $79 for a year and get free delivery for any order over $35, which is a bargain.
I haven't looked at Costco, but your post made me check out the website. We only recently got one. It is 13 miles from my home.

The $60 membership is not a barrier if it provides value, and it looks like it might. I might use the auto purchase or travel benefits, or the auto center. I think, like you, that a vacuum sealer would be a required investment to make the most of meat purchases.

Thanks, you've got me thinking.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Ivygirl wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:42 pm
skp wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:34 am I just read this thread, so a little late. People mentioned not buying wine. I suggest not buying bottled water. Buy a Brita filter, save money and open up some storage space.

I'll tell you my reasoning on the bottled water as opposed to a Brita filter pitcher. The water is for an emergency supply, and to keep it fresh and rotated, I also use it for daily drinking. I keep 7 gallons (the most recent) in a hall closet, and about the same in the kitchen by the refrigerator. When it's time to buy water, I refill the kitchen supply with bottles from the hall closet, and put the newly-purchased ones in the closet, pulling the oldest forward.

A Brita filter pitcher makes tap water taste good and filters out many undesirables, like chlorine, but it can't filter bacteria or viruses. One of the reasons I might need emergency water would be a "boil order" or chemical contaminant, or loss of utilities entirely.

I drink about a gallon every 2 days, and a gallon is $1.09. It's spring water that has been microfiltered and has received ultraviolet or ozone disinfection. The bottles have been designed with recycling in mind.
It would be cheaper over the long term and more versatile to store tap water and purchase various products that can offer water filtration or purification depending on the need. Not as versatile but still cheaper is to simply store bottled water for emergencies as it will last at least a year or two. And then use a Brita type filter for regular day to day use. And if Brita isn't good enough you could go as far as purchasing a Berkey and still be money ahead over time. There are plenty of workarounds that wouldn't require consistent utilization of bottled water.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

This discussion has me rethinking some of my shopping and storage practices too, so thank you OP for starting such a robust discussion that everyone can relate to.

Costco is incredible, with great quality at excellent prices. That’s a great suggestion above. OP, have you tried the popular “pay yourself first” method? With that method, you save the amount you intend, say partly or fully funding your Roth account, and then only spend what is left over. The idea is, if you don’t see it, you don’t spend it.

You could also increase the time between shopping trips, from like weekly to every ten days and utilize some of your stockpile, or even better, find less essential places to cut spending. I really hope you get to a place where you can fund your 401k, Roth, and or I bonds, especially if your 401k is matched since it really is free money.

All that said, you’re obviously very smart, hardworking, resourceful and organized. Prices have risen a lot.it’s all very stressful. Please keep us posted on what tweaks you make that work for you.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

the “pay yourself first” method?
This is what we set up when we were first married. Savings defined and prioritized. Everything else was fair game for spending. We didn’t used a detailed budget but there were months when discretionary spending was delayed or skipped in order to make the month.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

halfnine wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:55 am
Ivygirl wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:42 pm

It would be cheaper over the long term and more versatile to store tap water and purchase various products that can offer water filtration or purification depending on the need. Not as versatile but still cheaper is to simply store bottled water for emergencies as it will last at least a year or two. And then use a Brita type filter for regular day to day use. And if Brita isn't good enough you could go as far as purchasing a Berkey and still be money ahead over time. There are plenty of workarounds that wouldn't require consistent utilization of bottled water.
I already have a Big Berkey. I used to live in a city with literally dangerous and undrinkable tap water, and used the Berkey daily. The water didn't taste good, but at least it was safer and didn't taste putrid. Back then it used the white ceramic filters.

The Berkey now uses the black filters which are supposed to be an improvement but I did not find it so. The water made me feel a little ill (stopped feeling ill when I stopped drinking the water) and until I feel more certainty about why that was, I don't use the Berkey. Some theories are that gravity filters can get bacterial contamination, or that the filters are actually too effective, and remove elements from water that the body needs. A pair of new black filters is $166. I see the ceramic filters are still available but they don't look the same and it weirds me out in case they are knock-offs. Water is important for health, second only to air.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Regarding Costco:

Back in the original post, I stated a goal of not buying food without a plan. Getting a Costco membership, then going up and down the aisles (real or virtual) of this value wonderland with a cart, would not be a plan. You can see the danger there.

So, if y'all would, please help me think about it strategically. For example, now Rao's sauce is $6.50 (cheapest I can get it, and if it's available) and I ration it and use it about once every two weeks. If I could get it for $5 a jar I would use it much more often. It's a whole food, versatile for several dishes, and it makes anything it touches absolutely delicious. Buying just a pack of two from Costco would save me $3 plus the 8.5% sales tax on that.

My shopping habits now are to begin in the produce section and avoid the middle aisles except vegetables, pickles, and oils, since prepared foods are mostly loaded with, once again, wheat. At Costco I would not be tempted by giant boxes of goldfish crackers or fruity pebbles or anything like that. At Costco I would likely not even go into the produce section (unless frozen), because I couldn't use the quantity. I would be looking to buy GF pasta cheaper than $3.39 a box like I spend now, and ground beef to freeze, possibly pet products, household cleaners, frozen fish, coffee and canned goods.

Is a Costco membership a good idea for me?
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

OP here again. The personal finance issues raised ("pay yourself first method") are interesting to discuss but off-topic for the thread unfortunately.

Good news is, if the impending plumber's visit is not too expensive, I should have $1,000 to put in the Roth, so getting somewhat back on track.

Men do not realize how great a revenue thrift is. - Cicero.
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

Get out of town. Get animals and grow your own food
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Ivygirl wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:55 am Regarding Costco:

Back in the original post, I stated a goal of not buying food without a plan. Getting a Costco membership, then going up and down the aisles (real or virtual) of this value wonderland with a cart, would not be a plan. You can see the danger there.

So, if y'all would, please help me think about it strategically. For example, now Rao's sauce is $6.50 (cheapest I can get it, and if it's available) and I ration it and use it about once every two weeks. If I could get it for $5 a jar I would use it much more often. It's a whole food, versatile for several dishes, and it makes anything it touches absolutely delicious. Buying just a pack of two from Costco would save me $3 plus the 8.5% sales tax on that.

My shopping habits now are to begin in the produce section and avoid the middle aisles except vegetables, pickles, and oils, since prepared foods are mostly loaded with, once again, wheat. At Costco I would not be tempted by giant boxes of goldfish crackers or fruity pebbles or anything like that. At Costco I would likely not even go into the produce section (unless frozen), because I couldn't use the quantity. I would be looking to buy GF pasta cheaper than $3.39 a box like I spend now, and ground beef to freeze, possibly pet products, household cleaners, frozen fish, coffee and canned goods.

I wouldn't buy a Costco membership because you may not realize the $60 annual fee in savings. Instead, ask around and see if any of my friends/family are members. Then I would ask them to purchase Costco Shop Cards for you --- https://www.costco.com/costco-shop-card ... 24438.html You can then shop Costco without a membership. If the balance on your Costco Shop Card is insufficient you can pay the difference at the register. My coworker buys me multiple $25 cards when I run low. She does the same for others. It is a great way to shop Costco without having to pay the membership fee.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Johndoefire65 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:15 am Get out of town. Get animals and grow your own food
Is that what you did? If so please share.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Johndoefire65 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:15 am Get out of town. Get animals and grow your own food
Even better, know someone who does and who grows/catches too much. Every once in a while I will go by one of the nearby marinas where some of the fishing charters operate. If you get lucky, someone has caught more than they want to clean and are willing to hand over a just caught fish. When I was growing up in Florida we used to go down to the marina when the shrimpers came in and pick up free run shrimp for $.50-75 per pound in bags of 10lbs.
goaties

Post by goaties »

(deleted)
Last edited by goaties on Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
csm

Post by csm »

Ivygirl wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:55 am Regarding Costco:

You are wise to be disciplined about a Costco visit. I agree with the idea of trying to find someone to buy a Costco Shopcard for you so you can shop without paying the membership fee, at least the first time to see if it is anything for you. It is useful, however, to get their email and sales flyers because then you know when the Rao's goes on sale which is several times a year. You mentioned oils and Costco has some of the highest quality olive oil - but it comes in a large size. I have an olive oil dispenser that I refill so it is more manageable to cook with and we use enough that I don't find the large size to be overkill, considering how much the savings is from supermarket olive oil.

I do not recall seeing GF pasta at Costco but haven't looked for it recently. They have excellent frozen grass-fed ground beef patties that you can take out one at a time, or regular (non grass fed) as well. Or fresh ground beef that you can freeze but it comes as 3 or 4 packs of 1 lb each so you are buying a larger quantity. Aldi is a good option for grass fed ground beef at good value. Costco also has fresh organic ground turkey if that's of interest.

I don't usually get their frozen Atlantic salmon fillets any more because it has been sourced from Chile recently at my Costco, so I buy frozen Atlantic salmon fillets either at Whole Foods, Ikea (believe it or not) or purchase online. I prefer Atlantic salmon to Alaskan but I'm always careful about the source (preferring Norway, Iceland, Faroe Islands, etc.). Costco has other individually wrapped frozen fish options depending on your taste (cod and mahi mahi) but I haven't tried it.

As mentioned previously, the San Marzano canned tomatoes are nice and I also like the olives, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes and capers in jars which are large, but last a long time. As an example, a 32 oz. jar of capers is around $7 vs. my local supermarket that charges around $3 for a tiny 4 oz. jar. Sure it takes a while to get through them (although I like capers and add them to both chicken and ground beef meals) but the savings is significant. They have pickles too but I haven't bought those at Costco.
Topic Author
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

OP checking in. Tonight I made the tortilla dish discussed earlier in the thread: an oiled 13 x 9 baking pan, crushed tortilla chips in the bottom, beans, salsa, water, top with cheese and bake. This version used cannellini (white kidney) beans rinsed well and whizzed in the food processor with a little water, and the last of the chopped chicken and broth from Sunday's roast chicken dinner. The chips were free stale ones left over from a work lunch, but of course they don't need to be fresh for this dish.

This was the best version yet. A little sour cream on top. 14 minutes from pushing Preheat to putting it in the oven, including grating the cheese.