Buy kitchen appliances now (Q3 2022) or wait?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Buy kitchen appliances now (Q3 2022) or wait?

Post by justsomeguy2018 »

The house we recently moved into last year has lower end Frigidaire appliances.

They're serviceable, but we wanted nicer appliances - well, specifically a nicer quieter dishwasher and higher end range. Refirgerator and microwave are fine, I guess, though microwaves are relatively inexpensive so may upgrade to match a new range.

We recently completed some other renovations in our house so the house looks nicer in a lot of areas (not kitchen).

We also want to get a freezer for garage so have been looking for deals on those.

Ok sorry I'm kind of rambling here - essentially right now some stores are offering cash back or rebates the more appliances you buy, and also have July 4th discounts, so got me wondering if we just pull trigger on a garage freezer (1st priority), new dishwasher (2nd priority), range/microwave (3rd/4th priority) all at once right now instead of just the garage freezer since you get more cash back the more you buy based on current offers out there.

The alternative is, these aren't really things we *need* right now (except maybe garage freezer) since current appliances seem to function ok, so is it possible we may see lower prices a few years into the future, since supposedly everything is high right now due to inflation? Or is this wishful thinking?
supalong52

Re: Buy kitchen appliances now (Q3 2022) or wait?

Post by supalong52 »

When we bought our appliances in 2019, we bought high end display models, e.g., Wolf, etc. Not sure that is a viable strategy in this environment, but wouldn't hurt to check. I think we spent half of retail on pretty much new stuff.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Most experts I have read say that higher prices are here to stay, just that we might go through a period of price stagnation after the inflation problem is taken care of to allow incomes to catch up.

I personally wouldn't try timing appliance prices. We just waited for one of their regular discounted sales going on, walked in and asked what kind of deal they could make us, above the published discount, if we bought X, Y and Z appliances that very day. The biggest problem we had was the wait for said appliances. Some were in stock and some were six months out, and that was pre-covid.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

When we planned our kitchen remodeling we ordered a dishwasher and oven from a big box store and specified delivery 8 weeks in the future. During that time we watched, and when the oven went on sale a couple weeks prior to delivery date we arranged for an $800 invoice adjustment.
lightfighter214

Post by lightfighter214 »

We just did the same thing. Closed 4/27.

Bought new appliances because the house had old kenmores that seemed on their last legs. Will never go again without a higher end dishwasher.
lightfighter214

Post by lightfighter214 »

We just did the same thing. Closed 4/27.

Bought new appliances because the house had old kenmores that seemed on their last legs. Will never go again without a higher end dishwasher.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Why do so many people believe prices on everything will be lower in the future? Increases in wages are here to stay & I’m sure that has a lasting impact on the price of everything, including durable goods. Look back over the last 10, 20 or 30 years. The only durable goods that seem less expensive are televisions. Find your best deal on the appliances & buy them now.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

My expectation is that price increases will moderate but not actually decline, at least with most things. Our decision would be based more on the availability of what we wanted, our finances and the decision about how much having the new appliances would add to our comfort level and enjoyment of our home.

Tim
Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:30 am Most experts I have read say that higher prices are here to stay, just that we might go through a period of price stagnation after the inflation problem is taken care of to allow incomes to catch up.

I personally wouldn't try timing appliance prices. We just waited for one of their regular discounted sales going on, walked in and asked what kind of deal they could make us, above the published discount, if we bought X, Y and Z appliances that very day. The biggest problem we had was the wait for said appliances. Some were in stock and some were six months out, and that was pre-covid.

Which store was this where you could negotiate?

Also we are interested in a Bosch dishwasher, but those are excluded frlm the sale. My understanding is they dont go on sale too much, is that true?
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:19 am
lthenderson wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:30 am Most experts I have read say that higher prices are here to stay, just that we might go through a period of price stagnation after the inflation problem is taken care of to allow incomes to catch up.

Also we are interested in a Bosch dishwasher, but those are excluded frlm the sale. My understanding is they dont go on sale too much, is that true?
Wait till Black Friday
TSR

Post by TSR »

We recently bought a new refrigerator and a new stove. I was not impressed with the bundle deals any of the stores were offering. They seemed to be offering multiple items we did not want with the promise of discounts that were not so great. If I were you, I would pick the exact items you want irrespective of any discount, then I would buy those items when they're available and from the stores that have the best price and have them in stock. Don't let the bundle dictate your tastes. (A possible caveat here is this: there are slight variations in the color of, say, "stainless steel" among the various brands, so if you want EXACTLY the same color it would be worth your while to buy all the same brand. I don't put a lot of stock in that level of exactitude in my matching though.)
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:19 am

It was just a local appliance store. When we asked they said that if we bought the wall oven, wall microwave/oven, cooktop and vent hood they would throw in the dishwasher we were looking at. But we were spending north of $12k there (at their marked sale prices) so the dishwasher wasn't a huge discount though I thought it well worth asking for and receiving. We got GE Monogram series appliances FWIW. I don't know much about Bosch appliances but I do know that the only sound our GE Monogram dishwasher makes is the two beep tone indicating when it is finished. Since I am almost never around (or awake) when this happens, when it does make the sound, it always makes me do a double take until I remember what it is and we've had it for going on four years now. It is much different than our old one which was loud enough we had to turn the television volume up in our living room whenever it was running in the kitchen.