Can you recommend a good financial account program for Mac?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

Can you recommend a good financial account program for Mac?

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

When I moved from a PC to a Mac, I could no longer use legacy MS Money which I loved. I don't do anything fancy with my account management program: just download transactions from bank accounts, credit card accounts basically to keep track of my expenses and balances. I moved to Banktivity which is web-based. Have used it for several years, but it has some glitches that annoy me. It often gets the transaction wrong, attributing it to the wrong payee and consequently misclassifying it. It periodically has the wrong account balance and I have to dig through several months of past transactions to find the error. Good old MS Money never made these errors in the years that I used it.

Wondering if there are some other financial account programs out there I can take a look at. If possible, I'd prefer something that resides on the computer and not the cloud, as was the case with MS Money.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
rkhusky

Re: Can you recommend a good financial account program for Mac?

Post by rkhusky »

I use GnuCash. I was able to convert my Quicken files without too much difficulty.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

rkhusky wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:53 am I use GnuCash. I was able to convert my Quicken files without too much difficulty.
I went to download it and it is a monster: 180 mb or something. Download time is very long, so I cancelled. What is this thing?
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:54 pm
rkhusky wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:53 am I use GnuCash. I was able to convert my Quicken files without too much difficulty.
I went to download it and it is a monster: 180 mb or something. Download time is very long, so I cancelled. What is this thing?
It is similar to Quicken. I use it for checking/savings, credit cards, mortgage, investments. I haven't upgraded for a couple years and that was about 150 MB download. It's not all that big.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

rkhusky wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:10 pm
It is similar to Quicken. I use it for checking/savings, credit cards, mortgage, investments. I haven't upgraded for a couple years and that was about 150 MB download. It's not all that big.
Oh, I see. I guess I'm looking for something simpler just to be able to keep track of my bank and credit card transactions and balances. Don't really do anything else.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

I use Quicken for Mac and have been pleased after a move from MS Money Sunset and Quicken for Windows. But it may be too much for you. Quicken has a lighter program Simplifi, that I have not used, but it generally gets good reviews.

https://investorjunkie.com/reviews/sim ... y-quicken/
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:14 pm
Oh, I see. I guess I'm looking for something simpler just to be able to keep track of my bank and credit card transactions and balances. Don't really do anything else.
What about something like mint?
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

typical.investor wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:28 pm
It looked like Mint was just available as an app for your tablet or phone, not for a Mac. Maybe that's wrong?
Bogle7

Moneyspire

Post by Bogle7 »

Moneyspire.
Really like it.
3 years of using.
Cloud connection for multiple user synchronization.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
typical.investor

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:44 pm
It looked like Mint was just available as an app for your tablet or phone, not for a Mac. Maybe that's wrong?
No, it's correct and what I use for keeping track of bank and credit card transactions on my Mac. I guess I like the option of having it available from my iPhone too. Haven't really found anything better.
idc

Post by idc »

Kmymoney works really well for me
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

You can access Mint from any computer, including Mac, using a web browser.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

investorpeter wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 pm

At the Mint website all I see is either an Apple app or Google app download choice. How do you use that on a Mac?
typical.investor

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:24 pm
investorpeter wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 pm
At the Mint website all I see is either an Apple app or Google app download choice. How do you use that on a Mac?
https://mint.intuit.com/

mhalley

Post by mhalley »

If your Mac has an m1 chip, you can run lots of iOS apps no problem. If it doesn’t, there are emulators that can do it.
https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to ... c-1647914/
Not free, but I like Simplifi by quicken.
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

Never used GnuCash but in these days of streaming movies, downloading 180 MB shouldn’t really take long. Don’t really remember the last time I considered the download size of a file as a deal breaker.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

I see that there's a 40% discount promotion for Simplifi new subscribers but nowhere can I find if that's good for just the first year subscription. I'm guessing that's the case but nowhere is it spelled out. I hate dealing with hucksters.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

The simplify discount is just for the first year, then goes back to full price. Haven’t found any deals for current users, I pay yearly which makes it a little cheaper. Well worth it imho. A discount for first time users is pretty standard for subscription services, don’t know how that makes them hucksters. I guess you could cancel it yearly, I’m sure they would then email you offers if you are willing to put up with a week or two of not using it each year.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

Was just trying out Personal Capital, which is free. Set it up and linked a couple of accounts. Worked pretty well, but there are a couple of things missing that I need to have. First, it does not link accounts such as my checking and credit card, so that the linked credit card payment from the checking account is shown. It simply lists the credit card payment and not the account it came from. Second, I'm unable to split my Social Security payment amount in order to break down the gross payment and the deductions for medicare and Part D. So, I'd be unable to track and report those insurance payments at the end of the year. These are both things I can now do with Banktivity.

I'm guessing that Mint and Simplifi are the same. They just download and show the transactions in your various accounts, but you can't do much with that to enable the financial tracking you need. Useful, but not very sophisticated.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

mhalley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:17 am The simplify discount is just for the first year, then goes back to full price. Haven’t found any deals for current users, I pay yearly which makes it a little cheaper. Well worth it imho. A discount for first time users is pretty standard for subscription services, don’t know how that makes them hucksters. I guess you could cancel it yearly, I’m sure they would then email you offers if you are willing to put up with a week or two of not using it each year.
Thanks, I call them hucksters because it is not clearly shown that the discount is just for the first year. I think it's misleading because the newbi (like me) might assume it's a fixed discount and then get whacked with the full price on renewal.
yog

Post by yog »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:59 am Was just trying out Personal Capital, which is free. Set it up and linked a couple of accounts. Worked pretty well, but there are a couple of things missing that I need to have. First, it does not link accounts such as my checking and credit card, so that the linked credit card payment from the checking account is shown. It simply lists the credit card payment and not the account it came from. Second, I'm unable to split my Social Security payment amount in order to break down the gross payment and the deductions for medicare and Part D. So, I'd be unable to track and report those insurance payments at the end of the year. These are both things I can now do with Banktivity.

I'm guessing that Mint and Simplifi are the same. They just download and show the transactions in your various accounts, but you can't do much with that to enable the financial tracking you need. Useful, but not very sophisticated.
If you have a Fidelity account, you may be able to do what you describe with Fidelity's Full View.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Ynab does what you are looking for and more. It isn’t free though. Not sure if that’s a criteria for you. I don’t mind paying for things that are valuable to me, especially to avoid ads and sharing of my data.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

You might try just going back to what a lot of us did for years.
Quicken.
The Mac version is nothing like the PC version. It looks different, its entry and report functions are less flexible. But for me, after struggling with the changes for about a year, I am now comfortable with the Mac version, find it easy to use each month, and found it gathered my data for this year's taxes very nicely.
The cheapest version works for me. Yes, I have to pay each year, and after using Q2009 on PC for 10 years, I find that irritating.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

Mint does allow me to split the Social Security deposit but it does it all crazy. Instead of the net SS deposit, after deductions, it shows 2 separate transactions: the edited gross amount and another negative transaction for the deductions. Completely wonky. Plus I don't think it will do the splits automatically for you in the future --- you'll have to go in and do it manually every time. I'm guessing that Personal Capital, Mint, Simplifi and others a just transaction register kinds of apps that don't let you organize the data the way you need to. Oh, well it's interesting to see how these things work. If all you want is to see your current balances and transaction register they're useful. If you need a little more than that, not so much.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

idc wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:57 pm Kmymoney works really well for me
+1

I'm a long time MS Money user myself, but suggested KMyMoney to our elder when he turned 18, since he lives in Linux, and it's working out nicely.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Mint (and similar online apps), besides its functional limitations, is not guaranteed to be there ten or twenty years down the road.

I have over 20 years of useful data in MS Money that is mine too keep.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
idc

Post by idc »

Vulcan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:40 am
idc wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:57 pm Kmymoney works really well for me
+1

I'm a long time MS Money user myself, but suggested KMyMoney to our elder when he turned 18, since he lives in Linux, and it's working out nicely.
Yeah, a little more details. While this KMyMoney is open source, and free it is really nice. Works on Macs and Windows. I was a long time MS Money guy, and tried different things, but KMyMoney works best for me. I only use it to track expenses and cashflow, but it is rock solid for that purpose. It has been reasonably well maintained for many years.

I tried Quicken for a while but it was buggy and plain bad at many things when I tried it.

With KMyMoney I am downloading transactions from bank accounts and CC manually about once a month and then use the reports to track expenses month over month and year over year. Helps me have a solid understanding of my spending, what the budget should be, how I am doing against the budget etc. Very easy to setup and track.

I gave up on trying to find an app to consolidate spending + assets + budgeting. These things are way too different from each other.
I use Fidelity + Excel for asset tracking, and Excel for monthly/yearly budgeting using data exported from KMyMoney.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I’m not really trying to defend simplifi, but we all know that many websites and offers require looking at the fine print. On the simplifi website it says $3.99 per month, billed annually* then at the bottom of the page, it says
*Annual sale price is applicable to first year of subscription only. 30-day free trial only available to new customers.
Should the disclaimer be the next line below the sale price? In an ideal world, yes, but I haven’t lived there for a long time.
These days loyal customers are often taken advantage of.
Topic Author
Fremdon Ferndock

mhalley wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:59 pm I’m not really trying to defend simplifi, but we all know that many websites and offers require looking at the fine print. On the simplifi website it says $3.99 per month, billed annually* then at the bottom of the page, it says
*Annual sale price is applicable to first year of subscription only. 30-day free trial only available to new customers.
Should the disclaimer be the next line below the sale price? In an ideal world, yes, but I haven’t lived there for a long time.
These days loyal customers are often taken advantage of.
What's confusing is that this statement applies to the 10% discount rate. There is also a 40% discount rate, which I guess is available to new subscribers, has no such information. I looked. I couldn't find nuttin.
bh1

Post by bh1 »

Been using Gnucash for the last 20 years. On Linux it is 32 MB to download. On other platforms, it likely needs additional libraries. Can't argue over the the price, though (free, open source).
MCR

Post by MCR »

I've used Moneydance for years. Nothing but positive experience.

https://infinitekind.com/moneydance
"Price is what you pay, value is what you get." Warren E. Buffett
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

The best home accounting program is still Quicken for Windows. You could run that version on a Mac by install Parallels to create a Windows virtual machine. Neither the Mac nor the online version of Quicken has all the functionality of the Windows versions.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

MCR wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:50 pm I've used Moneydance for years. Nothing but positive experience.

https://infinitekind.com/moneydance
Same here. I use it on my Macs for what the OP is taking about. No major complaints.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

cbeck wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:02 pm The best home accounting program is still Quicken for Windows. You could run that version on a Mac by install Parallels to create a Windows virtual machine. Neither the Mac nor the online version of Quicken has all the functionality of the Windows versions.
This is what I do as well. Have a Mac Studio with the M1 chip throws a small monkey wrench into things but I was able to install Windows 11 ARM ( special Windows version) under Parallels.

Big Windows Quicken and Excel user and have been very happy with this virtual Windows setup.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

If you're just tracking expenses, ClearCheckbook.com works pretty well - it' essentially a dual-entry ledger bookkeeping system.

I've been exploring Tiller - but it's ~ $70 or so, and it downloads to Excel. Haven't pulled the trigger...
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Still using Mint to track transactions and Personal Capital to track investments.

Nothing on the Mac has ever beat Managing Your Money IMHO.
DPEMD

Post by DPEMD »

Is anyone concerned about security when using these programs? To function don't they need the passwords for your accounts to download data?
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

DPEMD wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:59 am Is anyone concerned about security when using these programs? To function don't they need the passwords for your accounts to download data?
https://plaid.com/safety/
MCR

Post by MCR »

DPEMD wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:59 am Is anyone concerned about security when using these programs? To function don't they need the passwords for your accounts to download data?
No, I just download the .QFX files from the separate websites (credit cards, bank accounts) and import into Moneydance. Easy peasy. It doesn't require me to use add any of my usernames or passwords to the software, so it has no access. I do have to add the account numbers into Moneydance, though, so it knows what account to import the files into.
"Price is what you pay, value is what you get." Warren E. Buffett
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

Quicken for Mac has really come a long way and they're steadily updating it. They finally beefed up the investing features and its close to the Windows version now. Its a subscription though.

Really, even paying for Quicken, I tend to use Personal Capital more. It works very well, has the answers to my questions (mostly performance and asset allocation), and is free.