About to close on house - did not notice several dead trees need that will need removal. Any thing i can do?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
burgrat

About to close on house - did not notice several dead trees need that will need removal. Any thing i can do?

Post by burgrat »

I am about to purchase a house. I viewed the home about a month ago, inside and out, and made an offer which was accepted. I had the home inspected and there is very little that needs to be fixed (minor cosmetic stuff here and there, minor repairs I can do) and I waived any repairs and the seller will give me $500 credit upon closing which can be used towards those minor things.
I am scheduled to close on the property June 30. I did the final walkthrough 2 days ago and I noticed 2-3 large trees on the back end of the property (maybe 15-25ft in height) that look dead or very sick and will likely need to be removed. This will be quite expensive I'm sure. The property is in the suburbs and there are maybe a dozen trees on the 0.5 acre property, but when I initially viewed the property I simply did not notice these dead/sick trees. Neither did my partner nor did my realtor team (husband/wife). Nothing from the home inspector (do they normal look at trees?!). The photos of the property do not show the specific trees close enough to notice from the listing, so nothing really stood out. However, when I went to the final walkthrough (6 days before closing) I saw them and I realize this will be an expensive issue. At this point, the loan has been signed, most all the paperwork done, but is there anything I can do about these trees? I admit I did not see them. I feel my realtor should have at least had that on his radar (ie that's part of his job). Any advice to help me alleviate some of the costs here, or am I out of luck? My realtor is not saying much can be done (and I am not too happy with his representation at this point, but it's quite late in the game). Will discuss further with him this evening.
(For additional info, this in a very desirable area in Reno, NV. Still quite hot real estate market, albeit cooling some. Just under $1M home, offer accepted was $25k over asking.)
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by burgrat on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreddieFIRE

Re: About to close on house - did not notice several dead trees need that will need removal. Any thing i can do?

Post by FreddieFIRE »

I would ask my realtor team to request that the trees be removed and then just see what happens.
A house and a job. Once the American dream. Two things I'll never again have. Life is simple (and good).
livesoft

Re: About to close on house - did not notice several dead trees need that will need removal. Any thing i can do?

Post by livesoft »

Why is this an expensive issue? In our area dead trees get removed for about $300 to $500 each and volume discounts applies. Also if they will not hit anything if they fall, then let them fall.

The reminds of when we bought our house. There was some dead trees (over 60 ft tall) which in our offer we said had to be removed by the seller. The seller said No, but we were unfazed. We did not waive inspection contingencies. The inspector noticed the trees and said the trees had to be removed. The trees were removed at the seller's cost.

Also 15-25 feet in height are small trees in my book. That's not even as high as a street light, is it? This is something that I wouldn't worry about, but you can always ask / insist that the trees are removed. See where that gets you. Have the real estate agent pay for them out of their commission if you like.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:37 pm Why is this an expensive issue? In our area dead trees get removed for about $300 to $500 each and volume discounts applies. Also if they will not hit anything if they fall, then let them fall.

The reminds of when we bought our house. There was some dead trees which in our offer we said had to be removed by the seller. The seller said No, but we were unfazed. We did not waive inspection contingencies, so the inspector said the trees had to be removed. The trees were removed at the seller's cost.
Speaking with the realtor and several friends that know, a ballpark figure is closer to $10k.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:40 pmSpeaking with the realtor and several friends that know, a ballpark figure is closer to $10k.
Rip off price in my book. You might take a course in using a chain saw to fell trees. But it doesn't read like there is an immediate need to remove the trees either.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I think you’re stuck.

You had your chance to inspect. And those aren’t even large trees…..

All in all, it sounds like you’re getting a good house at a price you like. So enjoy it! There will be more expenses as the years go by…..
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:31 pmAny advice to help me alleviate some of the costs here, or am I out of luck? My realtor is not saying much can be done (and I am not too happy with his representation at this point, but it's quite late in the game). Will discuss further with him this evening.
It's pretty late in the game. Is there some reason you didn't notice this a month earlier when you inspected the home inside and out?

Ask your realtor, but you are probably out of luck. In the scheme of things, this is pretty minor.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

livesoft wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:41 pm
burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:40 pmSpeaking with the realtor and several friends that know, a ballpark figure is closer to $10k.
Rip off price in my book. You might take a course in using a chain saw to fell trees. But it doesn't read like there is an immediate need to remove the trees either.
I appreciate your reply livesoft, but these are 3 large trees. One is probably over closer to 30-35 feet high. It's close to the property line and other structures. I am pretty handy, but this not simple chainsaw job. Maybe for you or a lumberjack, but this will need a professional and they don't come cheap here. Again, I appreciate the help, but for this instance, assume that a professional is needed and it'll cost at least $6,000 once all is said and done.
Last edited by burgrat on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I can't imagine a scenario where three 15 to 25 ft. trees could cost anywhere near that. Some 75 foot trees that can fall on a house during the removal...yeah, maybe.

Tree work can be expensive, but something does not seem right with your estimate of the size of the trees or the estimate of the cost. Maybe there is something special about your situation.

It's pretty late in the game. You may be out of luck. However some states let the buyer back out very late in the game.

Let us know what you find out.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

If you have removed contingencies, then the seller has no obligation to remove the trees. If you had a buyer's realtor they may chip in as a show of good faith to earn future business from you and that may be worth asking.

Enjoy your new home!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:49 pm.... Maybe for you or a lumberjack, but this will need a professional and they don't come cheap here. ...
I totally agree that felling trees IS dangerous work. But I imagine you have the luxury of not getting this done quickly.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

You're much too late to raise this issue

And i really doubt removal is that expensive.

no the normal home inspectors don't evaluate trees. You would have needed an arborist during the inspection period if that was any big concern.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
randybobandy

Post by randybobandy »

15-25 ft trees are a good size to learn on, too.

-RbB
Grammar and spelling matter. | Quoting the OP isn't a necessity.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

In 75 minutes yesterday I felled a 20’ tree growing too close to the house. FISKAR 18’ pruner with saw, a hand held pruner and small tree saw. If you have the strength to wield a pole mounted pruner and agility, dexterity and persistence to saw through the limbs to deconstruct the tree then give it a go. But don’t risk it if strength, tenacity and physical coordination aren’t in your wheelhouse. Bonne chance!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

What part of the country? How big around are the trunks? What kind of trees?

Seems super cheap to me at only 25 feet high, but I'm in New England where they'd be oak, maple, pine, cedar, beach or the like where they're only maybe 7 inches in diameter. If there's nothing to break around them, they'd be a piece of cake to take down. I took down a 60' white pine the other day in the woods. Maybe 7" trunk diameter. A big nothing to do. It was competing with another tree, so part of my forest management.

If you were moving into my neighborhood, I'd be happy to take them down for free and cut them into 4 foot lengths from which you should be fine disposing them. If they're hardwood, craigslist.

Come to think of it, if they are hardwood, advertise on craigslist. Free firewood if you cut them down. I was selling firewood at one point and had an offer to come in and cut whatever I wanted cut if the person could take the wood. I declined as I do this all myself and use the wood to heat my house.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:54 pm I can't imagine a scenario where three 15 to 25 ft. trees could cost anywhere near that. Some 75 foot trees that can fall on a house during the removal...yeah, maybe.
This was my reaction. In our neighborhood we have trees in backyards that can only be accessed through the house. Some of the largest would cost that to remove. My contractor redid my garden and removed a 20 footer for free. Took his crew less than half an hour.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

duplicate
Last edited by Zeno on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Unless you are willing to give up your earnest money I would consider any request to the seller now, trying to put pressure on them to give you money for this to be unethical. Get many quotes, quit worrying, buy the house and take care of it after purchase.
delamer

Post by delamer »

You don’t have anything to lose by asking for 1) a credit or 2) the sellers to remove the trees.

But assuming you plan on going through with the sale regardless of their response, you don’t have any leverage.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Dougroseville

Post by Dougroseville »

I did a YouTube video about 9 years ago titled "How to Remove a Tree and Stump using Handtools". It may be relevant for a 15 to 25 foot tree (the example tree was 25ft), you need to evaluate the challenges and risks (of nearby structures, fences, important plants, etc.). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LauiIOiQwZ8
(use Ctrl C to turn on Closed Captions as my audio was not great).
Topic Author
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the replies. Great points made and I am just a bit over anxious and nervous at this point, so maybe I'm overreacting a bit. I love the house. I'll deal with this after I move in. I will probably not do much chainsaw work myself because I won't be very good at orthodontics if I lose a finger or more. I will take your suggestions and move on.
Love this site! Keeps me grounded when the market's crazy and in everyday life. :D
henry

Post by henry »

Agree with others that the estimate of $6000 to remove three 25 foot trees seems EXTREMELY high. Get estimates from several other outfits, not just ones recommended by your realtor. Luckily, it doesn't seem that this is an emergency.

Or, after you move in, keep your eye out. Sooner or later, your neighbors might have some tree work or tree removal done. If so, walk up to the crew and ask if they can do an estimate on the spot. They might take care of your problem at a discount since they are in the neighborhood and have all the necessary equipment.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:49 pm
I appreciate your reply livesoft, but these are 3 large trees. One is probably over closer to 30-35 feet high. It's close to the property line and other structures. I am pretty handy, but this not simple chainsaw job. Maybe for you or a lumberjack, but this will need a professional and they don't come cheap here. Again, I appreciate the help, but for this instance, assume that a professional is needed and it'll cost at least $6,000 once all is said and done.

Those high prices being discussed are right in line with the prices here (VHCOL area), and that would be on the low side, assuming all were done at the same time (heavy equipment only needed once, etc.).

I'm assuming this is the type of thing where a humongous cherry-picker type of equipment is moved as close as possible. A neighbor needed to removed some 60+ foot dying pines, and they had to move that equipment down a different neighbor's driveway to get close enough. But first, they had to put lots of thick plywood layers on that driveway for protection. It was quite something to see.

Our immediate next door neighbor finally needed to get rid of some of those, also, after two huge branches fell and damaged some smaller trees of ours.
The police had to block off traffic for several hours so that big equipment could be moved into place, etc.
Then they had to stabilize everything, etc.
Again, quite a show.

They cut some larger limbs off.
Then they needed to attach the top maybe 1/4 of the tree, and the cut below it. A couple of times, one of the guys in that "cherry picker perch" climbed over and was lowered through the limbs so he could properly attach the ropes to secure the tree section properly before that section was cut from below.
Then that got lifted, and carried - slowly! - to the other side for more sawing and chipping, and then into to a waiting empty truck.
Rinse and repeat with other lower sections, which were much wider, etc.
And then on to the next tree...

In all cases, they needed to be *very* careful not to let the hanging tree section "sway", or it could hit the closest house.

For something like $300? I suspect that might be the cost to LOOK at that equipment! <joke>
This equipment is BIG!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
BarbK

Post by BarbK »

Are you sure the $10K estimates to take down the trees doesn't include removing / grinding the stump?
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

In my very wooded area, the “tree service” comes with a bucket truck and does whatever you want. About $2000 to $2500 for the day. They are on site 8 hours If need be. I think you can also do half day, but I have no experience with that.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

BarbK wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:42 pm Are you sure the $10K estimates to take down the trees doesn't include removing / grinding the stump?
And once the stump work is done, there also should be replanting over the area if the OP does not plan to replace the trees - at his cost, of course.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Retired 2017

Post by Retired 2017 »

If you are unable to get anywhere with the seller don't freak. So you missed it.
Bid out the job after the sale.
We had two huge trees removed without the need for huge machines. Guy climbed up and worked away dropping branches away from our house. Once the upper tree was down the 25 foot remaining was cut off at the base. All the time near our house and all the branches and tree safely dropped . Clean up and carried away. Fee was $3500. We will need at least one stump removed eventually. one guy quoted me 700 for 2 stump removals.

We feel great about getting the dead trees removed and the enhanced view--and so will you.
island

Post by island »

6-10K to remove two or three 25-35’ trees in Reno area? That sounds very high. Did you actually get bids or going by what friends and the real estate agent told you?

I imagine a seller would say no, especially at that expense, but can’t hurt to ask.

Please let us know what the bids come in at and what seller had to say.

Good luck and enjoy your new home.
Last edited by island on Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

As a seller my answer would be a simple word: no.
Watty

Post by Watty »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:31 pm I did the final walkthrough 2 days ago and I noticed 2-3 large trees on the back end of the property (maybe 15-25ft in height) that look dead or very sick and will likely need to be removed.
You could be right but until you have had an arborist inspect them your opinion does not really matter a lot since you are not qualified to know what the status is. The trees could very well just need to be pruned back or have some other treatment and they could recover.

Unfortunately you missed out on being able to hire an arborist to inspect them and that was your fault.
Normchad wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:46 pm I think you’re stuck.

You had your chance to inspect. And those aren’t even large trees…..

All in all, it sounds like you’re getting a good house at a price you like. So enjoy it! There will be more expenses as the years go by…..
+1

The trees were about as far from a hidden defect as you can get.

One thing to keep in mind is that it may have been obvious that some landscaping would need to be done so the house was priced accordingly.

Once you move in you should get them inspected and taken care of promptly. The problem is that if they fall and damage something your homeowners insurance might not cover it since you have reason to suspect that they might be a problem.

If the trees are in a wooded area then you may be able to have someone just take them down and leave them in the woods and that can save a lot of money. That can actually provide a good natural habitat to some critters but that would not work everywhere. I have even had a dead tree just topped so it would not damage anything if it fell. That left about 15 feet standing so birds like woodpeckers could feed on insects in it.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:40 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:37 pm Why is this an expensive issue? In our area dead trees get removed for about $300 to $500 each and volume discounts applies. Also if they will not hit anything if they fall, then let them fall.

The reminds of when we bought our house. There was some dead trees which in our offer we said had to be removed by the seller. The seller said No, but we were unfazed. We did not waive inspection contingencies, so the inspector said the trees had to be removed. The trees were removed at the seller's cost.
Speaking with the realtor and several friends that know, a ballpark figure is closer to $10k.
Get reputable estimates from 2 or 3 tree service outfits. The $10k estimate seems high from where we’ve sat over the years. Last Fall, we paid $600 for a service to take down 2 and grind stump Leland Cypress trees of 25-35 feet in our driveway near our house and if they fell the wrong way our garage and our neighbor’s garage could suffer damage. My son paid $4k a few months ago for a crew of 6-8 guys over 6 hours of work to shave and cut down massive oak tree limbs/branches from trees on a neighbor’s property (with the neighbor’s permission) that could have seriously damaged his new build house if wind or storm damage broke them off. This crew had phenomenal tree climbers to do the job, ground mulched the branches and were worth the price paid for their services.
Charon

Post by Charon »

Your priority should be figuring out what's wrong with the trees. If they've been attacked by, say, beetles or a fugal infection, check to see if this is a threat to the neighboring trees. Are they stressed because a watering system isn't working? Etc. Losing a couple trees out of a dozen isn't the end of the world, but losing all of them could substantially hurt your enjoyment of the property (and probably its resale value).

Cutting down a 25' tree that's not near any power lines or structures probably isn't that big of a deal, though it does depend on what kind of tree it is. (I've lived in areas where a 25' coast live oak could be massive, and areas where a 25' ponderosa pine is a baby you could take down with a hand saw.) Quotes for many thousands of dollars are excessive, unless there's stump removal involved, or there's something very difficult and unusual about the fall, and the site isn't accessible by truck.

Sorry you're dealing with this. I moved into a place and didn't realize it had dead trees until the needles got brown ~6 months later. Pines aren't obvious about damage until they're long gone.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Recently had 3 40-50ft oaks that were very close to my house removed along with stump grinding. Also 2 large holly trees trimmed and a smaller cherry tree removed and a couple of limbs cut off a large pine tree. Large cherry picker, multiple trucks and half a dozen or so workers. Took them a couple of days. $6000. Had one estimate for $9500. MCOL city.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:40 pm

I had a bunch of trees removed and stumps ground in March of 2021. Total was $2500.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:49 pm
Call around. As I said in my prior post, I had a bunch of trees taken down and stumps ground for $2500 15 months ago. Several of them were taller than a two-story house, including a huge American arborvitae that had a foliage cover of 400 square feet.

Maybe tree removal is more rare and expensive in Reno than southern NH.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:31 pm I am scheduled to close on the property June 30. I did the final walkthrough 2 days ago and I noticed 2-3 large trees on the back end of the property (maybe 15-25ft in height) that look dead or very sick and will likely need to be removed...Any advice to help me alleviate some of the costs here, or am I out of luck? My realtor is not saying much can be done...
NV requires seller disclosure.

Did you get a Sellers Disclosure form?

Trees are not an included line item on NV's required disclosure. (They are in my state.)

Read Selling a House With a Dead Tree: Are You Responsible for Removal? which explains lots of good points for you to understand before your next conversation with the realtor.

For example, here's one germaine paragraph within it:
The absence of a tree checkbox or explicit mention of it on the disclosure form doesn’t absolve you from sharing what you know. Real estate disclosures essentially require sellers to outline any material facts that could impact a home’s safety or value. A dead tree poses a risk to the home and the people who live in it, which constitutes a material fact about the property.

NV form does have a line for "Any other conditions or aspect of the property which materially affect its value or use in an adverse manner?" Dead trees should have been noted there.

PS I have a very sick, nearly dead tree, and there's a 5-month wait to pay $800-$1000 to have it cut down before it falls down or parts of it blow onto neighbor's or my house. A major limb already fell onto neighbors roof, and caused no damage, and it's legally the neighbor's problem, but neighbor was not kind in the conversation, and there were roofers in the neighborhood, and I paid roofers $100 cash to get it off that roof, and everyone was happy.
Keim

Post by Keim »

About 6 years ago i had 2 guys come out to my forest cabin and drop, limb and cut 5 or 6 trees of that size for $500 and a couple of ribeyes. Given your estimate you could hire my guys, fly them out, and come out $ ahead. ;)

Seriously, tho, are thry near a powerline? If so, utility may drop them for you.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Dougroseville wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:18 pm I did a YouTube video about 9 years ago titled "How to Remove a Tree and Stump using Handtools". It may be relevant for a 15 to 25 foot tree (the example tree was 25ft), you need to evaluate the challenges and risks (of nearby structures, fences, important plants, etc.). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LauiIOiQwZ8
(use Ctrl C to turn on Closed Captions as my audio was not great).
Haha! Pretty good video!

Have an expendable neighbor pull the rope!
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

I have one dead ash tree on my property. Taller than the house. It was dead when I bought 5 years ago.

It’s still standing.

I did cut off a few limbs that I could reach with a long pole saw.
Mid-40’s
Topic Author
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

Flobes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:36 pm
burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:31 pm I am scheduled to close on the property June 30. I did the final walkthrough 2 days ago and I noticed 2-3 large trees on the back end of the property (maybe 15-25ft in height) that look dead or very sick and will likely need to be removed...Any advice to help me alleviate some of the costs here, or am I out of luck? My realtor is not saying much can be done...
NV requires seller disclosure.

Did you get a Sellers Disclosure form?

Trees are not an included line item on NV's required disclosure. (They are in my state.)

Read Selling a House With a Dead Tree: Are You Responsible for Removal? which explains lots of good points for you to understand before your next conversation with the realtor.

For example, here's one germaine paragraph within it:
The absence of a tree checkbox or explicit mention of it on the disclosure form doesn’t absolve you from sharing what you know. Real estate disclosures essentially require sellers to outline any material facts that could impact a home’s safety or value. A dead tree poses a risk to the home and the people who live in it, which constitutes a material fact about the property.

NV form does have a line for "Any other conditions or aspect of the property which materially affect its value or use in an adverse manner?" Dead trees should have been noted there.

PS I have a very sick, nearly dead tree, and there's a 5-month wait to pay $800-$1000 to have it cut down before it falls down or parts of it blow onto neighbor's or my house. A major limb already fell onto neighbors roof, and caused no damage, and it's legally the neighbor's problem, but neighbor was not kind in the conversation, and there were roofers in the neighborhood, and I paid roofers $100 cash to get it off that roof, and everyone was happy.
Thank you for this reply. There is a Seller's Disclosure and I attached a copy of it (this was how I received, filled out and signed by the seller). The area at the bottom right is, I assume, where you would place this information.
One other thing I wanted to add is that when I did the walk through, the seller did still have some things yet to move (boxes, etc.). There was a business card for an Arborist left on the kitchen counter, no note, just left there. I'm not stating mal intent, and as a few others have stated, it's best to have the trees evaluted to see if they do in fact need removal or can be treated, but the seller knew there was a tree issue I'm sure. I know I missed the trees (along with my realtor), but should this not have been noted on this form as you noted? Thanks again!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:07 pm There was a business card for an Arborist left on the kitchen counter, no note, just left there.

Were there any other business cards or memos/notes about other vendors such as plumber or HVAC?
If so, perhaps the seller was genuinely trying to be helpful, to provide the buyer with info about local vendors who might know the property or somehow otherwise have been vetted/recommended...?

Also, unless you are sure they are dead and need to be removed soon, perhaps, as already suggested, they simply need some TLC/trimming to look better?

I am not at all knowledgeable about such things, and of course I haven't seen the trees, but is that a possibility?

Finally, when buying a "not brand new" house (and perhaps with those, too?), "there are things..." Always... "things..."
At what point is it "needs attention NOW or isn't working and should have been disclosed" vs. "it's not the latest and greatest..."
I don't know the answer to that, of course.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

No other business cards. No trees near close to the house that would need trimming.
I wish I (or my realtor) was attentive enough to call in an Arborist to do an inspection. At worst I will have to address this once I move in. I'm focusing on the positives as I am happy about the house. I do appreciate everyone's replies. I'll be more attentive next time I buy!
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:07 pm There is a Seller's Disclosure and I attached a copy of it (this was how I received, filled out and signed by the seller). The area at the bottom right is, I assume, where you would place this information.
Image attached is just the first page of NV Seller Disclosure Form.

Do you additional pages? If not, this would surely be an alarm to raise with your realtor.

On second page, #11 is line I quoted above. Your basis would be that a "materially affects value" concern that was known to Seller (arborist card) was not disclosed.

Third and fourth pages detail all the legal rights and obligations you, as Purchaser, and the Seller have as well as limits of responsibility in NV re Sellers Disclosure.
GlacierRunner

Post by GlacierRunner »

I realize that the cost of services are based on the local market, but last summer we had three 50 - 60 foot evergreen trees removed for $800 total. The trees had to be limbed and then dropped in chunks due to property lines and buildings. He used tree spurs to climb and drop the trees. His assistant did minor clean up and cut the logs into rounds. We burned the limbs and brush, gave the firewood to neighbors.
Topic Author
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

Flobes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:47 pm
burgrat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:07 pm There is a Seller's Disclosure and I attached a copy of it (this was how I received, filled out and signed by the seller). The area at the bottom right is, I assume, where you would place this information.
Image attached is just the first page of NV Seller Disclosure Form.

Do you additional pages? If not, this would surely be an alarm to raise with your realtor.

On second page, #11 is line I quoted above. Your basis would be that a "materially affects value" concern that was known to Seller (arborist card) was not disclosed.

Third and fourth pages detail all the legal rights and obligations you, as Purchaser, and the Seller have as well as limits of responsibility in NV re Sellers Disclosure.
There are the additional pages. For #11, they answered “no”. The following page has line items (there is an issue with a faucet needing replacement, etc.), but nothing about the trees. Does this matter since I waived contingencies?

What would you recommend to do at this point?
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

Watty wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:32 pm If the trees are in a wooded area then you may be able to have someone just take them down and leave them in the woods and that can save a lot of money. That can actually provide a good natural habitat to some critters but that would not work everywhere. I have even had a dead tree just topped so it would not damage anything if it fell. That left about 15 feet standing so birds like woodpeckers could feed on insects in it.
+1

Plus stump grinding is inexpensive. There's a special machine that quickly grinds the stump into oblivion, it's not like people are out there digging the stump out. Every time I see a yard with a stump in it that someone has tried to pretty up with flowers on top, I want to tell them this.

Brush piles made from branches are good for wildlife also.

If the trees are not going to damage a structure if they fell, I would not sweat this. And have an arborist look at them to determine what is actually going on with them.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

From my experience, trees are treated as landscaping, though they are far more important than that term implies.

Lots of trees on my property; I've removed to date five large oaks. A tree that is 15 or 20 feet can be removed by a landscaping company. Once a tree has to be climbed the price rises drastically. The insurance, equipment and other overhead is immense for the companies. The more reputable ones don't hire day labor, but have trained teams for safety. They also might have an arborist to assess the trees. Once dead, large trees get more expensive to remove since they can't be climbed. Can these trees be reached by a bucket truck?

Prices vary widely, by up to 30%, thus its good to get bids, but my guess is upon closing the offers and coupons will start rolling in.

I never remove stumps. Not terribly pretty, but a few shrubs around it and a hosta or other plant in its center if there is a hole, does the trick.

These trees are small enough that if there is tree work going on in the neighborhood, a company might just take them out while they are working on nearby property. On the other hand, they might not; one told me due to their insurance policy, they must call the utility company first.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

I would close the house start living and then plan to remove the trees in next three years with a cost effective tree company.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
986racer

Post by 986racer »

Having had several trees removed (60+ foot) and living in a VHCOL place, 10k seems insanely high. I paid around 300 to bring down the tree and then another 100 to grind the stump.

For 20-25 foot trees, I’d be surprised if they need any equipment beyond a climber and chainsaws.

That being said, I too was told by some people and given quotes by some companies of 1500-2000 per tree. Just get a few more estimates. If your new town has a Facebook group, ask (or search) there for recommendations
feh

Post by feh »

This. A 20 ft tree is easy to handle yourself, assuming it can't fall on anything.

Time to buy a chain saw.