Can I splurge on a Tesla model Y?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
boglemymind

Re: Can I splurge on a Tesla model Y?

Post by boglemymind »

There is no financial reason you shouldn’t buy the model Y. I love my Tesla and have no complaints other than they should have put an integrated garage door opener into it instead of having to hang an opener from the visor. Otherwise it drives so nicely, is so convenient and fun to drive. I’ve owned one for over 3 years and I love it as much or more today as the day I got it. Get a model Y, tint the windows as much as you can and you will love it. I would also recommend getting the performance model because why not? The acceleration is not only fun but can be useful at times.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

I'd add: sure, but make sure you have top flight insurance (car and homeowner's) plus an umbrella policy.

A Tesla is well deserved, in part because of the hard work and responsibility you're taking on, including keeping up with developments by spending time reading the journals in your field.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've already said above to go ahead and buy it.

If you were looking for a smarter buy, I would absolutely recommend you look at the Kia/Hyundai and then the presently coming to dealers Subaru Solterra/Toyota bZ4X. Why? $7500 back from the feds and whatever your state gives back. The trick is going to be finding dealers selling for little or no additional markup. I have for the Subaru at $47k. So with my state's $2500 back for EVs selling for under $50k plus the $7500, there's an EV SUV for $37k. I've yet to find a kia or Hyundai with less than $5k ADMU and they all are only stocking $54k MSRP vehicles.

I personally would not have an EV as an only vehicle. An ICE or hybrid will get you on a long trip easily. For me, a "fun" car is a requirement. I'm awaiting the MINI to come out. It's under $40k MSRP, single motor, front drive and from the videos I've seen, it's wicked fun. Only about 200 hp and with a small battery good for EPA 110 miles, although video reviews find that they're getting 125 to 150 without draining the battery. I'm fine with that.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:59 pm If you were looking for a smarter buy, I would absolutely recommend you look at the Kia/Hyundai and then the presently coming to dealers Subaru Solterra/Toyota bZ4X.
The Toyota and Subaru are ... not impressive. MotorTrend found that that the Toyota cannot sustain even 65 KW DC charging past about 35% state of charge, at an ambient temp of 64 deg F. That is pathetically bad - it's not competitive even with budget EVs from 5 years ago like the Bolt. The Subaru will be the same. Oh, and they already got recalled for ... wheels falling off.
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:59 pm I'm awaiting the MINI to come out. It's under $40k MSRP, single motor, front drive and from the videos I've seen, it's wicked fun. Only about 200 hp and with a small battery good for EPA 110 miles, although video reviews find that they're getting 125 to 150 without draining the battery. I'm fine with that.
I think you're referring to the Mini Cooper SE, which starts at under $30K MSRP. You don't need to wait (the usual inventory issues aside), as it has been on the market for months now.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

02nz wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:32 pm
I think you're referring to the Mini Cooper SE, which starts at under $30K MSRP. You don't need to wait (the usual inventory issues aside), as it has been on the market for months now.
Yes. Searching MINI's site, there are 9 nationwide and none within 500 miles of me. No, I'm not driving 600 miles to see one. I'll wait.

The Subaru/Toyota recall is pretty funny. They may not have tightened the lugnuts tight enough. If I had one, I'd be out in the garage with my torquewrench that always has a 19 mm deep 6 point socket set to 90 foot pounds. Yes, I know it's above spec. It's fine.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

scx123 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:39 am Wow thank you for all the recommendations on other EVs. I will look into it with my wife. We both like saving money and getting the best deal when we can. The good thing about preordering the Tesla last month is that we locked in the price and the price for Tesla now has gone up. I am sure by the time we can get it in December, the price will have gone up some more.
Look at the Kia and Hyundai EV’s.
In my humble opinion people are almost brainwashed by Tesla.
They do have a great charging infrastructure but are the cars better than the Kia and Hyundai?
I live in the Bay Area and it is almost comical how many Tesla’s you see.
It is a status symbol, especially among tech workers, and the cars are not worth the money vs the competition that has arrived.
There have also been quite a few safety issues.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

02nz wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:54 am
harrychan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:45 am Yes you can afford it. Reward yourself. Don't look at other EV's. Tesla is 6-8 years ahead in its technology and charging infrastructure. I had my Model Y since last March and love it.
Interesting that a Tesla driver is advising not to check out the competition - what are you afraid of? :happy Tesla got the charging infrastructure right, but technology? Porsche and Hyundai have 800V technology that can charge to 80% in 18 minutes. Tesla doesn't. If there are other ways in which you think Tesla is 6-8 years ahead, please point them out. (No, "Autopilot" that doesn't auto-pilot and "Full Self Driving" that doesn't drive itself are not it, and neither is this unannounced convertible model).
I've done my research, test drives. Nothing comes close to UI interface, technology and resale value. I have friends who bought into VW ID.4 and ended up selling for Tesla. The URL you posted dates back from 2020 and is a one off. If you find hundreds of roof falling off, that's a different story. And while we are posting recall, here is a national wide recall for a 'competitor' that is recent - https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... l-faq.html
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
retired-early

Post by retired-early »

hoops777 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:49 pm
scx123 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:39 am Wow thank you for all the recommendations on other EVs. I will look into it with my wife. We both like saving money and getting the best deal when we can. The good thing about preordering the Tesla last month is that we locked in the price and the price for Tesla now has gone up. I am sure by the time we can get it in December, the price will have gone up some more.
Look at the Kia and Hyundai EV’s.
In my humble opinion people are almost brainwashed by Tesla.
They do have a great charging infrastructure but are the cars better than the Kia and Hyundai?
I live in the Bay Area and it is almost comical how many Tesla’s you see.
It is a status symbol, especially among tech workers, and the cars are not worth the money vs the competition that has arrived.
There have also been quite a few safety issues.
Tesla was pretty much the only game in town until recently so it makes sense there are more on the road. Everyone I know who owns a Tesla loves their car. The resale value is incredible. My 3 year old car has lost no value. I honestly don’t get the Tesla bashing.

It’s great there is more competition. We can thank Tesla for getting other companies off their asses and serious about electric cars.