Flight with layover vs 2 separate flights.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ScubaHogg

Re: Flight with layover vs 2 separate flights.

Post by ScubaHogg »

02nz wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:37 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:53 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:13 am
hunoraut wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:29 am
scophreak wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:17 pm With 2 separate tickets, wouldn't you have to collect your bags at baggage claim and then re-check on the next flight? Would also necessitate a 2nd round of TSA screening, which can be a crapshoot depending on the specific airport.
Not necessarily.

You can request that your bag is "interlined". Assuming you have successfully checked in for the latter flights and have all the details, the airlines can do this for you. It helps that the flights are at least on the same carrier network. I've never had this failed. But no guarantees especially if you have budget carriers in the mix.

Also to note that on returning trips to the US, if one transits in the US (e.g. KEF-ORD-DAL), the bag would need to manually picked up and dropped off in connecting airport (ORD) anyway!!! Regardless of the ticket structure! It's an annoying practice of US Customs. Given the choice, I always do my transfers in Europe. (say, KEF-FRA-DFW).
Hmmmm. Interesting.

The whole trip is on the same United metal.

Is it really worth the extra long flight FRA-DFW. I think it’s an extra 2 hours just to avoid customs in ORD?
Yes for two reasons.

1) If your total flight time is somewhat similar I prefer to make the international leg as long as possible. The planes are generally more spacious and comfortable than the domestic plane. It’ll allow you more opportunity to sleep as well along with generally superior food and drink service. The domestic plane might not be doing any food service and is likely to be older and definitely much smaller than the international plane.

2) I generally avoid ORD if I can, doubly so in the winter. Also, if you are connecting internationally there having to leave terminal 5 and ride that bus or monorail is a big pain. DFW is just easier to get around.
Generally I agree, but because of Iceland's location, you're talking about flying about 3 hours in the "wrong" direction and another 3 to backtrack to connect in Frankfurt, and that's just for one way. Connecting in FRA instead of ORD nearly doubles the total distance flown (about 13,000 miles via FRA vs. 7,000 via ORD) and adds about 12 hours (!) in the air. I MIGHT do the extra air time if it were Singapore Airlines first class, almost certainly not for business class, and no way in **** in coach on any airline.
In that case I would avoid the longer route as well. But if it’s close at all I prefer the longest international leg possible.
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:45 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:10 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:03 pm May I suggest flying with only a carry-on? It completely eliminates the baggage issues being discussed in this thread.

A helpful resource for transitioning to the carry-on lifestyle is https://OneBag.com.
I will be in Iceland for almost 2 weeks. I doubt a carry on is a good idea. Although when doing short trips I frequently use the carry on option.
I spent three years vagabonding around the world with just a carry-on. It's all about prioritization. :beer
+1 Though I haven't (yet) spend three years vagabonding. I can operate indefinitely out of a 30L carry on bag (small enough to fit under seats if necessary). The trick is a fast drying clothes, layers (if dealing with different seasons) and a willingness to pare down things to exactly what you need and do laundry every few days. After making the conversion I could never go back to hauling a suitcase.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:01 am
AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:45 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:10 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:03 pm May I suggest flying with only a carry-on? It completely eliminates the baggage issues being discussed in this thread.

A helpful resource for transitioning to the carry-on lifestyle is https://OneBag.com.
I will be in Iceland for almost 2 weeks. I doubt a carry on is a good idea. Although when doing short trips I frequently use the carry on option.
I spent three years vagabonding around the world with just a carry-on. It's all about prioritization. :beer
+1 Though I haven't (yet) spend three years vagabonding. I can operate indefinitely out of a 30L carry on bag (small enough to fit under seats if necessary). The trick is a fast drying clothes, layers (if dealing with different seasons) and a willingness to pare down things to exactly what you need and do laundry every few days. After making the conversion I could never go back to hauling a suitcase.
In all honesty, I can definitely fit plenty of stuff in a carryon and a backpack. Maybe I will attempt a carry packing a bit light.

Thanks to you both for getting me to think about it.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732