3 monitors and a laptop - how do & recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
miamivice

3 monitors and a laptop - how do & recommendations

Post by miamivice »

Since I'm going back to school this fall, I'm thinking I might use some of my kids college money (529 still in my name) to upgrade my computer. I'll be using the computer for my studies, so it's a legit 529 withdrawal.

Anyways, I would like to upgrade from my desktop to a laptop, and also replace my current 3 monitors that I have on my desk. I have the following questions:

1. How do I easily run 3 monitors off of a modern laptop? I wish to leave the laptop lid closed.

2. What are good specs in modern monitors? I see I can buy a 1920x1080 resolution for cheap ($100 - $200) and then a 4k monitor for about double to triple that. Any good reason to purchase the more expensive 4k monitor?

3. I am thinking about 3 27" monitors if my desktop space will allow it. Need to do some measurements.

I will be using it for web browsing, word processing, and excel spreadsheet. Maybe a bit of Matlab. Some visio diagrams, maybe a minor bit of Canva. No gaming, movie watching, or heavy graphic arts.
john_nh

Re: 3 monitors and a laptop - how do & recommendations

Post by john_nh »

1. How do I easily run 3 monitors off of a modern laptop? I wish to leave the laptop lid closed.
I run four monitors off my laptop following the advice in this blog:

https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2020/ ... -a-laptop/
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I would absolutely go for one or two 4k displays over three 1080p displays. My daily driver, which I've used 10+ hours per day for the past ~3 years, is a single 49" 4k display. This is roughly equivalent to four 25" 1920x1080 monitors in a 2x2 configuration, except there are no bezels. Has worked wonderfully for me, and my only regret is that I didn't get a pair of 43" displays instead of a single 49". My desk is not wide enough to accommodate two 49" side by side.

If you want to do more traditional monitor sizes, two 4k displays is dramatically better than three 1080p displays. Just make sure they're large enough that you can take advantage of the extra resolution. But I would absolutely take a pair of 30" or 32" 4k monitors over three 27" 1080p monitors every day of the week. 2.7x as many pixels in 25% less horizontal space.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

miamivice wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:43 pm Since I'm going back to school this fall, I'm thinking I might use some of my kids college money (529 still in my name) to upgrade my computer. I'll be using the computer for my studies, so it's a legit 529 withdrawal.

Anyways, I would like to upgrade from my desktop to a laptop, and also replace my current 3 monitors that I have on my desk. I have the following questions:

2. What are good specs in modern monitors? I see I can buy a 1920x1080 resolution for cheap ($100 - $200) and then a 4k monitor for about double to triple that. Any good reason to purchase the more expensive 4k monitor?

3. I am thinking about 3 27" monitors if my desktop space will allow it. Need to do some measurements.

I will be using it for web browsing, word processing, and excel spreadsheet. Maybe a bit of Matlab. Some visio diagrams, maybe a minor bit of Canva. No gaming, movie watching, or heavy graphic arts.
The latest generation Intel and AMD mobile processors' integrated graphics generally support at least 3 external displays. However it can get tricky connecting them all - the cheapest way is probably to make sure your laptop has 1 HDMI connector and at least 2 USB-C connectors, which can be connected to the monitor with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable; you may need to use a USB-C dock/hub to provide power as well to the computer. Some monitors support DisplayPort "daisy-chaining" which would allow you to connect one cable to the first display, then the first to the second, and so on, without needing to plug in 3 cables to the computer every time you dock.

At 24 to 25 inches I would recommend 2K (1440p) resolution; 4K and above makes more sense at 27 inches or more.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

you could keep it simple and get 1 ultra-wide monitor, 32:9 aspect ratio.

a 40" class (typically 43 or 49) monitor can connect to your laptop with a SINGLE usb-c cable for both power AND display.

it has sufficient real estate to act as 3 ~square displays. with virtual tiling software, you can configure it however you want.

this is my work setup and its very convenient. plug in 1 cable, close the lid, done.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Agreed. I much prefer a single ultra wide display over multiple monitors.
PicassoSparks

Post by PicassoSparks »

Instead of running the laptop with the lid closed, consider using a stand and setting it to the side as a sidecar. Most laptops have great screens.

I am running a 4K 32” monitor as my main monitor (I have it for gaming on a console as well) and the OS looks better scaled as if it was a 1440p monitor. 4K is still largely overkill. I have an older 1920xwhatever that I use as a side monitor (great for Zoom calls or having stuff I need to glance at) and then I run with the laptop open and use it as my keyboard. Its monitor is useful for dropping down file manager, work chats or other things as a kind of scratch pad or work area.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

miamivice wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:43 pm Since I'm going back to school this fall, I'm thinking I might use some of my kids college money (529 still in my name) to upgrade my computer. I'll be using the computer for my studies, so it's a legit 529 withdrawal.

Is something wrong with the computer you purchased for yourself just two years ago by "raiding your kids' college fund?" viewtopic.php?p=5381842#p5381842

My observation in that thread holds true here.

As far as the tech, most laptops (and indeed most desktops) will not support three external monitors. In fact, many will not even support two external monitors for extending the desktop.

If you have wall space at your desk you can use a 50" (or 43" if wall space is tight) 4K TV connected with a HDMI cable. That will provide you more than enough "real estate" for your needs. This 50" 4K model is $289.99 at Best Buy, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5 ... Id=6456970, and for a 43" 4K, this one is $229.99: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-4 ... Id=6448758. Just be sure your computer supports a 4K external monitor resolution.

By the way...will this be your third or fourth post-graduate degree?
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

Beware that not all USB-C ports support Alt Mode DisplayPort output, so make sure the laptop you get supports it.

Alternatively, you can get a USB dock or adapter with a DisplayLink chip which will run a display off any regular USB port. I have one to run a 2560x1440 display off an old i5-3210M laptop from 2013 (the built-in HDMI port didn't support that resolution). Admittedly, it's slightly laggy, especially with full screen video, and I had to reduce the frequency to 50 Hz, although this may also be due to the CPU being too slow.
wibadger

Post by wibadger »

I agree with all of the comments of going to just one widescreen monitor. I used to have a 3 monitor setup, plus laptop or desktop. Now, I only use one high-quality widescreen monitor.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:34 am As far as the tech, most laptops (and indeed most desktops) will not support three external monitors. In fact, many will not even support two external monitors for extending the desktop.
I'm not sure where this idea comes from, but it isn't remotely true. I know literally hundreds of people who run 3 (or more!) monitors off of various laptops and desktops. I myself have run three off of an ultraportable sporting a 15W CPU with integrated graphics. Works fine. My personal desktop can easily run 4 directly connected (3 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI), and in theory supports up to 22 with DispayPort MST maxed out. Not that I've tested that. :)

I can't remember the last time I saw a Windows PC that lacked support for two monitors. Early 1990s maybe? M1-based Macs are currently crippled in this way, but won't be forever.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I use a 65 inch 4k TV I bought in 2017 for $1300. But your laptop will need a sufficient graphics card to run 4k smoothly. Make sure to check on that if you decide to go that route.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
mike152

Post by mike152 »

Also chiming in to say that you should consider a single ultrawide monitor, and keep your laptop open on the side for an additional screen. The open laptop lid will help with heat dissipation from the laptop.

What you've described is largely just looking at or editing text, and the increased resolution of a 4k screen won't do you much good.

The ultrawide screen is more usable than multiple displays side by side, as you don't have the gap between the bezels. You can have an extremely wide window (useful for looking at code if people aren't keeping their lines short), or put two large windows side by side with no gap (like the main Matlab window on one side and the editor on the other), or have one large window in the middle with a couple of narrow windows on either side - lots of options.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

mike152 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:59 am Also chiming in to say that you should consider a single ultrawide monitor, and keep your laptop open on the side for an additional screen. The open laptop lid will help with heat dissipation from the laptop.

What you've described is largely just looking at or editing text, and the increased resolution of a 4k screen won't do you much good.

The ultrawide screen is more usable than multiple displays side by side, as you don't have the gap between the bezels. You can have an extremely wide window (useful for looking at code if people aren't keeping their lines short), or put two large windows side by side with no gap (like the main Matlab window on one side and the editor on the other), or have one large window in the middle with a couple of narrow windows on either side - lots of options.
That’s what I do. Not even an ultra-wide, just a 28” 4k monitor in 1440 mode, that’s enough for two browser windows side by side (or a code window and stack overflow). I use a stand for my laptop on the side that puts it at the same level as my primary monitor, I mostly run slack in my laptop window.
Corvidae

Post by Corvidae »

I use a Dell Thunderbolt Dock (WD19TB) for 3 monitors with the laptop (Latitude) closed. I'm not trying to maximize pixels but frequently have 3-5 windows visible among 5-10 open windows. I find it easier to arrange and toggle between windows with multiple monitors. As a bonus, hooking up just one cable to get wired Ethernet, keyboard, mouse, displays, webcam, external storage, two audio outputs, mic, etc. is pretty nice.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

All I can say is to pay close attention to laptop processor and GPU specs and do your research from other users. Daisy chaining 1920x1080s is way less taxing than 4K displays.
Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

galawdawg wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:34 am

Is something wrong with the computer you purchased for yourself just two years ago by "raiding your kids' college fund?" viewtopic.php?p=5381842#p5381842

My observation in that thread holds true here.

As far as the tech, most laptops (and indeed most desktops) will not support three external monitors. In fact, many will not even support two external monitors for extending the desktop.

If you have wall space at your desk you can use a 50" (or 43" if wall space is tight) 4K TV connected with a HDMI cable. That will provide you more than enough "real estate" for your needs. This 50" 4K model is $289.99 at Best Buy, https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5 ... Id=6456970, and for a 43" 4K, this one is $229.99: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-4 ... Id=6448758. Just be sure your computer supports a 4K external monitor resolution.

By the way...will this be your third or fourth post-graduate degree?
The laptop I purchased about 2 years ago is fine, but it's time to replace my desktop computer. I didn't use 529 money to buy the computer last time (cash flowed it) but thinking about a bit more expensive setup this time and it might make sense to use 529 money this time around. This will be my fourth graduate degree. My wife has asked that I find a new hobby after completing this one.
Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

OK, I see Dell has a 49" wide monitor (link below) that I can purchase. It appears that I can use this in a similar fashion to multiple displays? I like to have maximize multiple browser windows to fit my 3 monitor configuration. Can I set this so I can maximize a window and it will fill 1/3 or 1/4 of the display? I would want maximizing windows to fill the whole display, just one chunk of it.

In other words, does it act like multiple separate displays, just as one?

How do I hook it to my laptop?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ul ... rt_section
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Hi, OP. I have three 27" monitors linked to an MS Surface via Dell docking station. It's a work setup and works quite flawlessly. You'll also be able to disconnect the laptop easily if you need to. It sounds like a lot of screens for what you are describing, but having more than one screen is good, and I wouldn't like to split in the middle with two screens. Apparently, Docking stations come with an internal GPU so it helps when you have a lot of screens.

If it were for my personal setup, I'd just get one big curving screen.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

miamivice wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:48 am OK, I see Dell has a 49" wide monitor (link below) that I can purchase. It appears that I can use this in a similar fashion to multiple displays? I like to have maximize multiple browser windows to fit my 3 monitor configuration. Can I set this so I can maximize a window and it will fill 1/3 or 1/4 of the display? I would want maximizing windows to fill the whole display, just one chunk of it.

In other words, does it act like multiple separate displays, just as one?

How do I hook it to my laptop?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ul ... rt_section
It looks like you can connect that display via USB-C (assuming your laptop supports DisplayPort via USB-C, most new ones do), and it'll also supply power to your laptop and even act as a USB hub, all with just one cable.

As far as maximizing windows, maximizing will take up the whole display. The way I'd use such a wide monitor would be with the Snap function - basically you use the Window key and the left or right key to "snap" your window to take up the left or right half of the screen (and all of the vertical space). You can then adjust the width. Windows 11 has some extra features in this regard - see the article I linked.
Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

I just read a couple articles about ultrawide monitors, and it appears that they are:

a) expensive
b) Not purposeful for office applications
c) Great for gaming

Since my system is not a game system (I don't play games, rather I write matlab code and create spreadsheets) I don't think I need 3 monitors.

I'm back to looking at 3 27" monitors, maybe 2k or 4k. It looks like the thunderbolt4 will work well. Now I just need to find a laptop that supports that.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

miamivice wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:11 pm I just read a couple articles about ultrawide monitors, and it appears that they are:

a) expensive
c) Great for gaming

Since my system is not a game system (I don't play games, rather I write matlab code and create spreadsheets) I don't think I need 3 monitors.

I'm back to looking at 3 27" monitors, maybe 2k or 4k. It looks like the thunderbolt4 will work well. Now I just need to find a laptop that supports that.

while gaming demands fast response rate, and multimedia demands good color accuracy, there is no real such thing as 'office' monitors, ergo nothing 'purposeful for office applications.'

but im confused - do you or dont you need 3 monitors (or equivalent)?
Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

hunoraut wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:43 pm
miamivice wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:11 pm I just read a couple articles about ultrawide monitors, and it appears that they are:

a) expensive
c) Great for gaming

while gaming demands fast response rate, and multimedia demands good color accuracy, there is no real such thing as 'office' monitors, ergo nothing 'purposeful for office applications.'

but im confused - do you or dont you need 3 monitors (or equivalent)?
The requirement is lots of real estate on my monitor. Either 3 monitors or one very wide ultrawide monitor would satisfy the requirement. I'm now trying to figure out which one would make more sense.

Also, I looked at desktop computers and see that I can get a more powerful desktop computer for less money. I already have a laptop for on-the-go use so I am leaning toward a desktop in lieu of a laptop.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Ultra wide monitors are great for both gaming and office work. The ones that are great for gaming (fast response time) are not generally great office monitors.

Nearly everyone in this thread is telling you from personal experience to go with a single ultra wide because they know, from personal experience, that it’s a superior setup for most use cases. It’s far easier to manage windows on a single monitor rather than across several, no loss of workspace to the bezels, no multi-monitor issues (Windows still has a hard time putting windows back in the same place reliably), etc.

We started replacing people’s multi-monitor setups with ultra wides in our office about 5-6 years ago. I’ve never had a user ask to go back.
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

I went with the LG ergo. They are great monitors and stands. The cable management and ergo stand really help your work space clean. They also have decent (for built-ins) speakers. The 27”, 32”, and gaming models are available.

As mentioned before, you need to consider your most common uses. Resolution is great for office work (Excel), but is more taxing on resources (gamers who buy 4K monitors often end up reducing graphics settings below the screen’s capabilities). Response time and refresh rates for games but not much of a factor for normal uses. Color accurate for multimedia work and watching movies. Brightness could be a factor for your setup, e.g. lots of windows.

I agree with the general consensus that higher quality screens are superior to multiple cheap screens.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

I will give you this, you certainly are all over the map.
sunsetting101

Post by sunsetting101 »

Have you considered triple screen laptops? I don't know anything about these other than I wish they were available when I was working so I could share my screens during meetings when I was working. I saw an image where the 3 screens were aligned into a triangle, pretty cool.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

miamivice wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:42 am This will be my fourth graduate degree. My wife has asked that I find a new hobby after completing this one.
You would think that after all of your recent difficulties/struggles selling used baby clothes, renting a portable toilet and handling "concessions" for your upcoming HOA event, she'd want you to stick with chasing more degrees. :shock:

But...happy wife, happy life! :beer
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

galawdawg wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:32 am
miamivice wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:42 am This will be my fourth graduate degree. My wife has asked that I find a new hobby after completing this one.
You would think that after all of your recent difficulties/struggles selling used baby clothes, renting a portable toilet and handling "concessions" for your upcoming HOA event, she'd want you to stick with chasing more degrees. :shock:

+1
Stupendous

Post by Stupendous »

I have 3 x 27" Dell monitors in their native resolution of 2560x1440. I prefer this over ultrawide. My desk is 6' wide and each monitor has it own static mount to the desk. I'm a software engineer so I work extensively with this setup. This is my home setup and I don't game.

How it is powered:

Desktop: 2 monitors powered from DisplayPort + daisy chain. 1 monitor powered from HDMI.
Laptop: 2 monitors powered from USB-C + daisy chain. 1 monitor powered from USB-C.

If you daisy chain monitors there are limitations to how many you can daisy chain and what resolution you run them at.

https://multimonitorcomputer.com/solved ... -guide.php

PowerToys has FancyZones which is good for multi monitor support.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

4K all the way. And a huge preference for USB-C.
Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

bradinsky wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:37 pm I will give you this, you certainly are all over the map.
I can say in all honesty that I am not bored in life.

I can also say that I rarely watch movies, television, read books (other than textbooks), etc.
Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

galawdawg wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:32 am

Sorry, but unless you have tried renting a portable toilet, you would not be able to relate to the difficulty that I have in my area. It's like trying to hire a locksmith, which I have seen other Bogleheads threads about. Not an easy task due to fake listings on Google Maps.
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

Last year got a "34 WHQD -used it along my laptop- I like it so much I don't know if I will connect my 28" 1920x1080 or get another WHQD
Using it for a lot of pdfs and spreadsheets.