Free Morningstar Portfolio Ending

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Expro

Re: Free Morningstar Portfolio Ending

Post by Expro »

trailmk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:20 pm I am looking for a Morningstar Portfolio replacement also. All I need is the daily closing price, % change for the day, and the YTD return.

I want to be able to enter a list of ETFs & stock funds and see the above information in a table format.

Any suggestions for what might work?

I tried Google Sheets but YTD is not provided. I searched for a formula and found two slightly different versions. When I tried them, the two did not match each other, nor did the results match the Morningstar Portfolio or Vanguard.

If anyone has a proven formula for a Google Sheets YTD or a different site to recommend, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
There exists a long but very helpful thread titled "Google sheets not pulling stock prices." Search for it and have a look at the various methods folks are using to update their GoogleSheets. Poster "retiringwhen" managed to create a tool that solved all the problems I was having with googlesheets not updating. The tool is available at the end of that thread.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

trailmk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:20 pm I am looking for a Morningstar Portfolio replacement also. All I need is the daily closing price, % change for the day, and the YTD return.

I want to be able to enter a list of ETFs & stock funds and see the above information in a table format.

Any suggestions for what might work?

I tried Google Sheets but YTD is not provided. I searched for a formula and found two slightly different versions. When I tried them, the two did not match each other, nor did the results match the Morningstar Portfolio or Vanguard.

If anyone has a proven formula for a Google Sheets YTD or a different site to recommend, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
I've been using %down from 52 week high, instead of YTD, and it seems to work well. 52 week high is an easily callable data point from Google Sheets, and then its just arithmetic.

I also looked up a YTD formula*, that's a bit more convoluted due to the need to automatically include the current year:

=(googlefinance(R1;"price")/index(googlefinance(R1;"price"; date(year(TODAY())-1;12;31));2;2)-1)

I tried it and it seems to work accurately for the stocks I checked. Instead of "R1", one would enter the field with the stock ticker.

*from: https://peterdaugaardrasmussen.com/2021 ... ock-price/. However, I deleted the "100*" at the beginning since Google Sheets can convert automatically to percentage.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

All my M* account using iphone app as of today is still active, but desktop app is disabled and brings user to paywall screen.

I don’t think I could update balances on m* app on iphone, unless folk out there are aware of another method.

I use to update balances on desktop screen and would view synchronized data on app on iphone.

I am open to suggestions on updating balances on m* app on iphone.
trailmk

Post by trailmk »

investorpeter & Expro

Thank you for your suggestions. I will play around with both possibilities and see if I can work with the results.

I appreciate your taking time to help me find a solution.
blueskytoo

Post by blueskytoo »

Between Fidelities Watch List and Portfolio GPS, I had quit using Morningstar years ago.

Portfolio Xray had so much detail that it was overwhelming, and I only used it about 3 times.

The Chairman of the Board has sold over $40,000,000 of his stock, presumably expecting at least a short term drop in the stock from loosing all the free customers, and the related drop in ad targets.

I am certain that the ads were not turning a profit from the free customers.

Ad revenue in this category of the market is falling, and the overhead costs of their business is rising, so the unprofitable customers are being asked to pay their way, or go elsewhere.

Nothing is really free, and Congress is in the process of restricting how much of our data companies such as Morningstar can harvest and sell, so Morning star is adjusting to the expected world new of regulations.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Latest word

In google news, a link to Morningstar article: "Weekly Wrap:Rising Interest Rates, Rising Inflation, and ESG Risk Protection"

-I then clicked on link, brought me to Morningstar webpage, I then proceeded to login in with my user credentials and entered password, it was accepted, a text with a browser code was sent.

I entered user code and saved browser setting.

-I will see how long this will last before M* notices.

-Morningstar Portfolio Manager is working, without requiring me to pay.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Is it my imagination or is the Performance-->Show Interactive Chart function now gone as well?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

aristotelian wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:07 pm Is it my imagination or is the Performance-->Show Interactive Chart function now gone as well?
That's now a separate "chart" tab on the free site.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

looks like they ended the legacy link altogether now. When you go to the legacy link for vtsax (http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VTSAX) you now get the final message:

"The report is no longer supported"
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
TnGuy

Recommendation for online Portfolio Manager since Morningstar is going pay only.

Post by TnGuy »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Hello:

I've been using Morningstar's free Portfolio Manager for many years now. They put out notice recently that sometime in the not-too-distant future they will be requiring a subscription to be able to continue using it. I'm looking for suggestions for a good replacement that's user-friendly. Thank you!

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
UpperNwGuy

Re: Recommendation for online Portfolio Manager since Morningstar is going pay only.

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Many people here use Personal Capital.
investorpeter

Re: Recommendation for online Portfolio Manager since Morningstar is going pay only.

Post by investorpeter »

Also interested in this, specifically, the ability to calculate IRR of a portfolio and compare to a benchmark.

I would also like to be able to see a chart showing $10,000 invested in my portfolio vs VTI over 1,3,5,10 years etc.

Does Personal Capital do this?

How about any others? I would be willing to pay for software.

I signed up for the trial-period subscription to Morningstar, and it seems they have eliminated this function from their Portfolio tool for some reason.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged TnGuy's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
grayparrot

Morningstar free features going away...alternatives?

Post by grayparrot »

I use Morningstar primarily to compare ETFs, focusing on portfolio data summaries such as p/e, sector/country weightings, etc.
Now those features will be withheld for free basic users. Are there any alternative platforms that you would recommend?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged grayparrot's thread into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jeffyscott

Re: Morningstar free features going away...alternatives?

Post by jeffyscott »

grayparrot wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:04 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I use Morningstar primarily to compare ETFs, focusing on portfolio data summaries such as p/e, sector/country weightings, etc.
Now those features will be withheld for free basic users. Are there any alternative platforms that you would recommend?
I think you might be confusing the "portfolio" tab for each ETF and mutual fund with the portfolio section where you can save your own portfolio holdings.

The first will remain free, at least there has been nothing to indicate otherwise.
Blues

Post by Blues »

I wouldn't be interested in any programs that require me to provide personal / identifying information. I don't mind providing the info anonymously, but otherwise, it's a non-starter unless it's something like Vanguard or a financial entity I invest with.

Sharesight hasn't required any of that for the free program, but as I mentioned above, it's not nearly as granular, and the free portfolio is limited to ten investments. Historical data is very limited unless one pays for one of their other options.

So far it's been fine as far as updating the portfolio daily, (as a Boglehead I don't have a ton of funds), and alerting me to pending distributions.

I lump "cash" accounts together as an aggregate of several investments in Treasuries, CDs, TSP, cash etc. and will update the aggregate amount from time to time. I don't need to track those in a refined, precise manner on a day to day basis.

Within those limitations, I think it's a useful, viable tool. (But I'll still miss all the data available via the M* portfolio used for so many years.)
mikewitteman

Alternatives to the free Morningstar Portfolio tracker that is no longer free

Post by mikewitteman »

for years I've been using the Morningstar Portfolio Tracker to track the YTD returns on a mix of ETFs, Mutual Funds, and stocks. I would export the data to a spreadsheet and compare my portfolio to it. It was a simple tracker that looked something like this:

Holding.............YTD Return
VTI............................x%
BND...........................y%
and so on for the 50 ETFs and Funds I track

Sadly, Morningstar is getting rid of this free capability and creating a pay wall.

Does anyone have an alternative way to get the same data for free and download it to an excel spreadsheet?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged mikewitteman's thread into the ongoing discussion. The combined thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general discussion).

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
mikewitteman

Post by mikewitteman »

thank you Lady Geek
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Creating a spreadsheet to replace the M* Portfolio sounds like a job for our forum's own #Cruncher. Let's see if he takes up the challenge.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Heading there now to delete my portfolio and account.
Small Law Survivor

Morningstar No Longer Provides Free Portfolio Tracking

Post by Small Law Survivor »

For many (many, many) years I've tracked my portfolio on M*. No more - they now want $249/yr. to do this.

Can anyone recommend an alternative that provides this?

Thanks in advance
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Small Law Survivor's thread into the ongoing discussion. The thread is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (news).

sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

I switched to Yahoo Finance. But also just realized Seeking Alpha has a nice free portfolio tracker. I'm in the middle of adding my lots so I can see how robust their features are. At a glance seem pretty good (M* like). :sharebeer
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
Electron

Post by Electron »

I also have the Morningstar Premium Membership through T. Rowe Price. The new portfolio feature does show up after I click on Launch Investor. Everything seems to work after learning how to use the various features.

The legacy portfolios work as well and are identical.

The account profile shows that T. Rowe Price has been paying $32.00 for the membership. I hadn't noticed that before.
Enjoying the Outdoors
willthrill81

Best site for free performance data with customizable dates?

Post by willthrill81 »

It appears that Morningstar has removed the ability for users to customize the dates for performance data of tickers. I'm wondering what free resource(s) allows one to do this. I don't like Yahoo.
The Sensible Steward
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged willthrill81's thread into the ongoing discussion.

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

For those looking for alternatives for portfolio tracking, I am trying out a website called stockrover.com which has a free tier that includes portfolio management. So far, I’m pleased with the functionality but I am still in the trial period. The key feature I was looking for was the ability to enter individual transactions instead of positions. You can enter your portfolio transactions and it will provide return charts with benchmarks, IRR, time-weighted return, Sharpe ratio, correlation matrices, and other useful portfolio tracking and analysis features.

For those BHs who dabble in individual stocks, there is also some fundamental data and research/screening tools which seem detail-rich. I have not yet cross-checked against other sources for accuracy. Might be a bit overkill for those looking for something simple though.

This is not an endorsement. I found the site via Google search. I am just responding to those who were asking about alternatives to M* for portfolio tracking.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

sperry8 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:14 am I switched to Yahoo Finance. But also just realized Seeking Alpha has a nice free portfolio tracker. I'm in the middle of adding my lots so I can see how robust their features are. At a glance seem pretty good (M* like). :sharebeer
Seeking Alpha doesn't seem to have a YTD (year to date) total performance of my portfolio. This is my favorite feature of MorningStar. I usually log in to Morningstar and only care about my total YTD % of my portfolio. As of today, MorningStar says I'm down 17% for 2022.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

bogleblitz wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:27 am
sperry8 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:14 am I switched to Yahoo Finance. But also just realized Seeking Alpha has a nice free portfolio tracker. I'm in the middle of adding my lots so I can see how robust their features are. At a glance seem pretty good (M* like). :sharebeer
Seeking Alpha doesn't seem to have a YTD (year to date) total performance of my portfolio. This is my favorite feature of MorningStar. I usually log in to Morningstar and only care about my total YTD % of my portfolio. As of today, MorningStar says I'm down 17% for 2022.
Yea, they seem to only have Daily % Change & Total % Change (All Time) although they do have each funds YTD, 3 yr, 5 yr, and 10 yr % returns. Perhaps if enough of us upvote this suggestion, SA will add it: https://feedback.seekingalpha.com/en/co ... lio-return

Yahoo Finance shows All Time % returns as well, but also seems to be missing YTD. However they do show "Annualized Gain %" by fund (although not rolled up to show total portfolio annualized gain). I also added this suggestion in the Y! Finance suggestions area. Feel free to upvote if you want it added as well: https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/3829 ... tolio-view
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

blueskytoo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:45 pm Between Fidelities Watch List and Portfolio GPS, I had quit using Morningstar years ago.

Portfolio Xray had so much detail that it was overwhelming, and I only used it about 3 times.

The Chairman of the Board has sold over $40,000,000 of his stock, presumably expecting at least a short term drop in the stock from loosing all the free customers, and the related drop in ad targets.

I am certain that the ads were not turning a profit from the free customers.

Ad revenue in this category of the market is falling, and the overhead costs of their business is rising, so the unprofitable customers are being asked to pay their way, or go elsewhere.

Nothing is really free, and Congress is in the process of restricting how much of our data companies such as Morningstar can harvest and sell, so Morning star is adjusting to the expected world new of regulations.
I had no idea Morningstar was a public company (ticker: MORN). $1.7b in revenue in 2021. According to their annual report, they have 130,000 paying premium memberships, at $300 per year, that is $39m per year, or 2.3% of their annual revenue. Of course, the free users only generate revenue from ads, which is likely minuscule. From a financial point of view, it’s not a surprise M* is cutting back on free services, but it can’t cost that much to maintain a website and the public brand recognition that comes from their individual investor services provides significant intangible value. I hope M* doesn’t completely turn away from educating individual retail investors in favor of their institutional clients.

My first introduction to stocks was through their free online investment course. It was a great introduction to the world of stocks, bonds, mutual funds and ETFs. I just checked and at least it is still available and free. https://www.morningstar.com/start-investing/classroom
homesleym

Post by homesleym »

FWIW, here's what I found as their Premium Membership subscriptions by year:

2021 115,541
2020 113,320
2019 109,967
2018 116,402
2017 118,462
2016 118,339
2015 120,557
2014 123,274
2013 124,027
2012 123,899
2011 130,354
2010 138,149
2009 150,473
2008 177,518
2007 180,366
2006 165,957
2005 147,010
2004 131,035
2003 114,140
2002 103,700
2001 84,283
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Nice data. Clearly, there is a downward trend in paying subscribers since the late 2000's.

Note: From their annual report, there were 115k US subscribers in 2021, and 15k international subscribers, which is how I got to the 130k subscriber number for 2021.
homesleym

Post by homesleym »

investorpeter wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:30 am Nice data. Clearly, there is a downward trend in paying subscribers since the late 2000's.

Note: From their annual report, there were 115k US subscribers in 2021, and 15k international subscribers, which is how I got to the 130k subscriber number for 2021.
Ah, mea culpa :oops: Have you been following the "Discussions" threads of Morningstar Premium changes on the site? Some unhappy folks there.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I have a premium Morningstar account. I had a free account for years and decided to subscribe to avoid having to manually enter my portfolio every time I wanted to use X-ray. I’m handicapped, had to give up golf, and decided that a premium membership was an excellent substitute for the greens fees that I had been paying. I consider investing a hobby that can pay dividends. I enjoy many of the articles written by their “experts” in addition to the portfolio tracking. I’ve spent $250 on dinner for my family; consequently, I don’t consider their fee to be expensive. Bogleheads that want something for nothing should create a free portfolio tracking program for this website. I’m down for a freebie.

DMW
wander

Post by wander »

My free account at Morningstar is still working fine.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I had a paid account for a couple of years, but at some point found that I didn't actually need it anymore. They did make it somewhat difficult to cancel, requiring a phonecall and a discussion. The discussion was a lot like talking to a Cable TV company and it was very clear that they were willing to negotiate a lower subscription cost. I just didn't need it anymore. I only used it for research and not to monitor my holdings. I can get pretty much anything I need these days from their free version available through my local public library.

Cheers.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Retired 4.5 years
investing for 32 years
Portfolio boiled down to two funds over the years. (happy)
portfolio duplicated at Morningstar (It looked nice)
needed to be manually updated with each dividend
I feel that, as entire portfolio is in one place, I don't need the Morningstar
The cost of the subscription could buy more shares of something.
If it goes, I won't be to sad
Marty
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:31 am Creating a spreadsheet to replace the M* Portfolio sounds like a job for our forum's own #Cruncher. Let's see if he takes up the challenge.

+1

That would be a beautiful thing.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

would that automatically update?
Topic Author
Expro

Post by Expro »

Could the "Bogleheads Return Spreadsheet" be the start of a new tool to track different funds, etfs, etc.rather than different investment accounts? I'll assume it would be a fairly large effort to create something to mimic the M* Portfolio tracker but maybe...?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here's the wiki article: Calculating personal returns
homesleym

Post by homesleym »

an article by Don Glickstein of "The Mutual Fund Observer" on Morningstar Investor:
https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2022 ... more-17214
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

I am a buy and hold kinda guy, so I don't look at specific ETFs or funds anymore.
I just logged onto my library website and went to esources and chose Morning Star Investment Research Center under the business section
One url that come up as
https://ar.morningstar.com/mirc/equity/ ... eport.aspx
That gives the latest analysis report, if that helps
homesleym

Post by homesleym »

chemocean wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:17 pm I am a buy and hold kinda guy, so I don't look at specific ETFs or funds anymore.
I just logged onto my library website and went to esources and chose Morning Star Investment Research Center under the business section
One url that come up as
Unless you login from a recognized IP address (like the library), you'll get an access denied message. Many libraries have Morningstar
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

homesleym wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:37 pm
chemocean wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:17 pm I am a buy and hold kinda guy, so I don't look at specific ETFs or funds anymore.
One url that come up as
Unless you login from a recognized IP address (like the library), you'll get an access denied message. Many libraries have Morningstar
While a link like that does not work, I can log in with my library card from anywhere to use the site and access at least some premium features, like the analyst reports. I assume it works that way with other libraries that pay for access, that you do not have to be at the library to use it.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Any suggestion where can I get this info now that free Morningstar portfolio is ending?

For Individual Stocks:
  • Stock Sector
  • Equity Style
I can get this info if I got to individual stock profile on Morningstar. I am looking for a way to get this for multiple stocks in SS the way I can download it from Morningstar portfolio today.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Hector wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:53 pm Any suggestion where can I get this info now that free Morningstar portfolio is ending?

For Individual Stocks:
  • Stock Sector
  • Equity Style
I can get this info if I got to individual stock profile on Morningstar. I am looking for a way to get this for multiple stocks in SS the way I can download it from Morningstar portfolio today.
You are requesting for the future?

Morningstar has not ended their free access as I still have access to my M* Portfolio Manager.

You can try Google Finance or Yahoo finance as alternatives.
TenOC

Post by TenOC »

Has any one used StockRover. at https://www.stockrover.com/ Looks like it has all the bells and whistles.