Aswath Damodaran podcast interview - Making Sense of the Market

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
pseudoiterative

Aswath Damodaran podcast interview - Making Sense of the Market

Post by pseudoiterative »

Aswath Damodaran is a Professor of Finance who blogs about company valuation. As someone interested in valuation of individual companies, I enjoy reading Aswath's blog and find it educational.

Aswath was recently interviewed by Patrick O'Shaughnessy on the "invest with the best" podcast. If you are interested in company valuation, it might be worth a listen!

I've listened to about half of the two hour podcast discussion, topics covered so far include:
  • inflation (expected inflation vs unexpected valuation), Aswath wanting to diversity into physical assets to get more control over cash flows during inflationary periods, gold and gold-wannabes (crypto)
  • company valuation, storytelling as part of company valuation, TAM delusions
  • Aswath's brief take on the big tech companies:
    • Netflix as a hamster wheel -- how the heck do you get off that wheel?
    • whenever Amazon enters a new business, every other company in that business drops in value
    • Google's inability to reproduce their original search & advertising success in new businesses
    • everybody complaining about Facebook on Facebook but not stopping using it
    • Apple as a single product business - the iPhone business
  • learning from bad investors
  • investor's beliefs about if mean reversion will continue or not, pointing out mean reversion is an assumption, and that structural changes in the world may derail mean reversion