Camera crew needed for Bogleheads Conference

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Goal33

Re: Camera crew needed for Bogleheads Conference

Post by Goal33 »

In my corporate job where we host large events at convention centers annually… lot of these types of jobs are union based and regulated. Like there has been times when I wanted to jump in and make an AV adjustment and I wasn’t allowed to. Had to work through the process with union workers, etc.

I’m not an expert by any means, I am just recommending the venue is consulted before anybody makes an investment or commitment.

I’ve seen the post for the conference every year since I’ve been a member but there’s always been a reason I can’t make it. Hope to catch you all one day.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an interchange which continued the discussion of volunteer efforts. The thread was derailed. As a reminder, see: Moderation Procedure
If Moderators are forced to step in, in most cases, they will do so through a Private Message or by a request on the thread in question. When posters are asked to back off, it is expected that they will. Often, the only way to defuse a situation is to have all participants cease and desist and move on. Failure to follow these policies or Moderator warnings may result in postings being edited or deleted...
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Morik wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 pm
simplextableau wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:08 pm The Bogle Center shouldn't expect professionals to work for free. I don't ask that of my doctors or lawyers.
I don't think it's unethical to call for volunteers in this situation. If no one wants to volunteer they will hire (and pay) a professional crew. At least, that is my impression from the original post.
Bogleheads is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization.

We may or may not have this recorded. If this request is not filled by volunteers (and it has not so far), we will price the cost of hiring a crew, and if the Bogle Center Board of Directors thinks the cost is too high, then there will be no video content posted, and only those who attend the event will benefit from listening to the speakers. I will say that there is no appetite for asking those who are attending to pay extra for video recording so that those who do not attend can watch for free.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Depending upon the price for pro recording, perhaps it can be funded by selling "pre-orders" for the full recording (DVD or downloads). The recordings could (eventually) be freely available (via Bogleheads website and YouTube channel), but on a delayed basis.

With 100 K registered Forum users, and probably just as many lurkers, I bet 1,000+ would pony up $10 - $20 ea to order a copy. Jim Dahle, M.D. and his team have experience recording and distributing conference videos, so he might have suggestions.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

sleepysurf wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:35 am Depending upon the price for pro recording, perhaps it can be funded by selling "pre-orders" for the full recording (DVD or downloads). The recordings could (eventually) be freely available (via Bogleheads website and YouTube channel), but on a delayed basis.

With 100 K registered Forum users, and probably just as many lurkers, I bet 1,000+ would pony up $10 - $20 ea to order a copy. Jim Dahle, M.D. and his team have experience recording and distributing conference videos, so he might have suggestions.
Sure. Lots of ideas are out there and many are good. What we're looking for are experienced volunteers in this area who commit to doing something.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Rick Ferri wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:12 am
Morik wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 pm
simplextableau wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:08 pm The Bogle Center shouldn't expect professionals to work for free. I don't ask that of my doctors or lawyers.
I don't think it's unethical to call for volunteers in this situation. If no one wants to volunteer they will hire (and pay) a professional crew. At least, that is my impression from the original post.
Bogleheads is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization.
. . .
I will say that there is no appetite for asking those who are attending to pay extra for video recording so that those who do not attend can watch for free.
I agree with your conclusion wholeheartedly, Rick. No volunteer, no video. In the past, Dr. Rich volunteered his services and we all appreciated what he produced. He even purchased more expensive equipment in an effort to make it even better. Maybe not Hollywood quality, but it was definitely good enough for most Bogleheads.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:18 pm I agree with your conclusion wholeheartedly, Rick. No volunteer, no video. In the past, Dr. Rich volunteered his services and we all appreciated what he produced. He even purchased more expensive equipment in an effort to make it even better. Maybe not Hollywood quality, but it was definitely good enough for most Bogleheads.
I really appreciated Dr. Rich's photos and recordings of the past Conferences; he did a great job, and it was clear he spent so much effort trying to record everything from the best angles that I'm sure he missed much of the Conference for himself.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

sleepysurf wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:35 am Depending upon the price for pro recording, perhaps it can be funded by selling "pre-orders" for the full recording (DVD or downloads). The recordings could (eventually) be freely available (via Bogleheads website and YouTube channel), but on a delayed basis.

Oh, I like it! Perhaps there could be a “Bogleheads: too hot for the forum” video that is strictly about forbidden topics like religion, politics, referral links, cryptocurrencies, adult language, doomsday preparedness, long short portfolios, and reinsurance.

By the way, I’m kidding. Some of y’all can’t tell.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:45 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:18 pm I agree with your conclusion wholeheartedly, Rick. No volunteer, no video. In the past, Dr. Rich volunteered his services and we all appreciated what he produced. He even purchased more expensive equipment in an effort to make it even better. Maybe not Hollywood quality, but it was definitely good enough for most Bogleheads.
I really appreciated Dr. Rich's photos and recordings of the past Conferences; he did a great job, and it was clear he spent so much effort trying to record everything from the best angles that I'm sure he missed much of the Conference for himself.
Not to mention the effort he did moving those videos from Vimeo to YouTube: Bogleheads Conference Proceedings - YouTube

How do I know? I'm volunteering my time helping publish videos on the Bogleheads YouTube channel.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

If this request is not filled by volunteers (and it has not so far), we will price the cost of hiring a crew
No volunteer, no video.
Those statements are contradictory. Which is it: "no volunteers and we may hire a crew" or "no volunteers, no video"?

How about soliciting donations for a video crew from those NOT attending? I might chip in but if and only if a professional crew is hired.

If the 500 available tickets are sold out at $395 each ... you do the math. I have posted a rough estimate of the labor costs involved. If the third day is only half a day, is it worth bringing in a crew for that half day?
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Rick Ferri wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:12 am
We may or may not have this recorded. If this request is not filled by volunteers (and it has not so far), we will price the cost of hiring a crew, and if the Bogle Center Board of Directors thinks the cost is too high, then there will be no video content posted, and only those who attend the event will benefit from listening to the speakers. I will say that there is no appetite for asking those who are attending to pay extra for video recording so that those who do not attend can watch for free.
I agree with your position.

However, would it be possible to charge a reasonable fee to view the videos if we have to hire out for video recording? It would be very helpful for those who are not able to attend.

Thank you all for putting together a BH conference.
rob

Post by rob »

Rick Ferri wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:12 amWe may or may not have this recorded. If this request is not filled by volunteers (and it has not so far), we will price the cost of hiring a crew, and if the Bogle Center Board of Directors thinks the cost is too high, then there will be no video content posted, and only those who attend the event will benefit from listening to the speakers. I will say that there is no appetite for asking those who are attending to pay extra for video recording so that those who do not attend can watch for free.
I get it.... I really do... and this is not directed at you, just an observation as someone who tried to get time off for #1 at Taylor's place.... this is an interesting position and shows how the virtual place has evolved over time.....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Normchad wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:11 am I love this website. I think recording this event is a great idea. I won’t be attending though.

If you end up hiring professionals for this, I’ll chip in $250 to help defray the cost please DM when appropriate and we can coordinate payment.
Very kind of you.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

belowaverage wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:00 am Could always connect with a local community college and get students in a Sound Recording or similar major to assist.
Great. Please volunteer to do that.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (contentious, topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.