Good books to read to get educated on fixed income securities

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
idc

Good books to read to get educated on fixed income securities

Post by idc »

Hi, tried to use the search function, but not very successful.

I thought I was relatively well educated on investing, but as I am semi retired I am discovering this whole world of fixed income that is more complex than I realized, but intriguing at the same time and would like to get educated on it.

As I was playing with the trade tools at Fidelity I discovered all this section on fixed income with a myriad of options and terms I don't quite grasp. I have enough time on my hands, and would like to learn the nitty gritty. Hesitant to talk to a professional before I understand better, part because of the inherent conflict of interest, but also because I won't be able to assess their competency unless I understand this better.

Anyway, looking for advice on the best way to get familiar with the concepts, understand how to best utilize treasure bills, various options for building ladders, annuities, how to calculate yield. I am not intimidated by this stuff, I am pretty sure I'd be able to understand it with patience and time, but would like a couple of pointers.

So, any good books recommended by this community?

Thanks
tre3sori

Re: Good books to read to get educated on fixed income securities

Post by tre3sori »

Annette Thau: The Bond Book, Third Edition: Everything Investors Need to Know about Treasuries, Municipals, Gnmas, Corporates, Zeros, Bond Funds, Money Market, and More

comes to my mind. But more for the absolute layperson than for the ambitious mathematically inclined bond investor. There is very little math in this book.
The information provided is intended to be entertaining. It is not to be construed as professional advice. Use it at your own risk.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

idc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:25 am Hi, tried to use the search function, but not very successful.

I thought I was relatively well educated on investing, but as I am semi retired I am discovering this whole world of fixed income that is more complex than I realized, but intriguing at the same time and would like to get educated on it.

As I was playing with the trade tools at Fidelity I discovered all this section on fixed income with a myriad of options and terms I don't quite grasp. I have enough time on my hands, and would like to learn the nitty gritty. Hesitant to talk to a professional before I understand better, part because of the inherent conflict of interest, but also because I won't be able to assess their competency unless I understand this better.

Anyway, looking for advice on the best way to get familiar with the concepts, understand how to best utilize treasure bills, various options for building ladders, annuities, how to calculate yield. I am not intimidated by this stuff, I am pretty sure I'd be able to understand it with patience and time, but would like a couple of pointers.

Thanks
Bogleheads book wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Book_re ... nd_reviews

Cheers
dbr

Post by dbr »

There is a fair amount of information in the Wiki on bonds: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page type bond in the search box and a list of topics comes up.

I find many articles on different topics using Google. An example for duration is here: https://www.google.com/search?q=duratio ... nt=gws-wiz

Here is SEC yield: https://www.google.com/search?q=sec+yie ... nt=gws-wiz
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

idc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:25 am . . . I am discovering this whole world of fixed income that is more complex than I realized, but intriguing at the same time and would like to get educated on it.
. . . . .
I suggest The Only Guide to a Winning Bond Strategy You'll Ever Need, by Larry Swedroe.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy