Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
HENRYGRUGER

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2022!

Post by HENRYGRUGER »

Miriam,

Put me in line after Suferlife.

I am planning to retire 6-30-2023, but it could be sooner, as I submitted a letter to my institution's President today, voicing "great displeasure" with certain upcoming events, and my letter may have included the phrase "hostile working environment."

My letter will meet with one of two eventualities...my concerns will be acknowledged and addressed, and I will entertain an extension of my contract...or it will not be so received, and I will work out my existing contract, which expires 6-20-2023, or be asked to mail my laptop in and be looking for my final paycheck and my cashed out PTO hours.

Eitherway, I am looking forward to 6-30-2023.

My bride of 49 years is a 67 year old retired housewife and I will be 72 in October, 2022. This is my third career and after 53 years of contributing to the general welfare of my country, I am ready to refocus my attention to health maximization, travel, spending time developing skills in the shooting (targets) sports and riding my Harley TriGlide.

$63,000 in SS Benefits and $1.2M in 4 Fund Portfolio...40% Roth IRA, 25% Traditional IRA and 35% Taxable Brokerage Account. Considering an Annuity to supplement income and as a substitute for Bonds, leaving the balance in Equities.

Will keep eyes peeled for Class of 2023 Retirement Class Announcement.
HENRYGRUGER

Post by HENRYGRUGER »

Atilla wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:16 pm Showed up for a salary negotiation meeting today with all my stuff - company laptop, cell phone, credit card, etc.

Announced to the VP and the Sales/Marketing Director I was retiring immediately. Shook hands and got out.

Company's longest surviving employee. June would have been 25 years. I turn 55 this spring.

:sharebeer
Atilla,

Assuming you are a guy, "You are THE MAN!"

"Showed up for the meeting with all my stuff..." I LOVE IT!

Earlier today, I sent a letter to my institution's (academic) President. I explained to him my "concerns" about upcoming "changes." I may have used the terms "hostile work environment" and "disparate treatment." (NO...I am not a minority faculty member...possibly making those words even more alarming to the powers that be.)

I anticipate one of two results...my concerns will be acknowledged and fairly remedied or my final paycheck with PTO cashed out will be forthcoming. (Actually, I have a contract through 6-30-2023, so there could be a different financial settlement.) Either result is acceptable. Such is the benefit of having what JL Collins refers to, in his book "The Simple Path to Wealth," as "FU Money."

I would have loved to have delivered the letter to him in person, but we are still working remotely, and I am 5 states and @525 miles away.

Enjoy your retirement!
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

OK, I'm calling it. Put me down for retirement on 30 September 2022. Currently working in an all-remote position that has mostly been very very light (ie less than 5 hrs/week max), but the workload is likely to dramatically increase over the summer. Unfortunately for my employer (but fortunately for me :beer ), this extended downtime has made me realize that I really enjoy having my time to myself! I've picked up a few new hobbies after having been a workaholic for so many years, and I've even become a "band dad" (ie officer in the band booster group) to support my kid's favorite activity at school. Seriously regret not having made the time to do this sooner! Better late than never, I guess....

For me, "retirement" will mean the end of needing to work on things I don't want to do. I don't think I will quit working entirely - can definitely see some potential for future consulting work in my field, provided that it's a project I want to do, and it's with people I want to work with, and it doesn't preclude me from spending time on my hobbies and volunteer work. And if a "unicorn" opportunity like that doesn't materialize, that's fine with me!

I'll be 49.9 years old at that point, so can say that I was able to retire before 50 :-) Just gotta power through the summer to avoid needing to pay back the starting bonus they gave me when I started this job. I think I can manage - only 4 months, but will be taking vacation for a month of that. And besides, the starting bonus wasn't *that* large if I decide to pull the plug earlier!

Looking forward to embarking on the journey with you all!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit. Retire."

(Groucho Marx in "Animal Crackers")

We are delighted to announce that the Awesome Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2023 is now open :D

viewtopic.php?t=378495
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bass4 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:33 pm Today was my final day in the workforce. I’m out at age 58. Such a good feeling.
Good!! Welcome to the sunny side of the street :sharebeer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mybuterrier wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:01 am This Past Wednesday May 4th. I’m Free
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, Mybuterrier! What a great relief to feel free from that work drudgery. Best wishes for a great retirement and please let us know what you're doing :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:36 am This past Friday was my last day. I'm done at age 51. I had thought I would stick around until 55, but circumstances changed and it made more sense to go now.

One bit of advice I've picked up here is to make sure you are retiring *to* something and not just *for* something. I am busier than ever spreading my time across athletic, creative, and charitable (volunteer) pursuits. So I would describe myself as "working, but not for money."
Great advice leftcoaster! Thanks for reminding everyone. Sounds like you really have it together early in your retirement, quite impressive :D

A big welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Fantabulous Class of 2022! Stay busy, stay healthy, and enjoy all that you do. We wish you a wonderful retirement and hope you check in and let all of us know how you're doing :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

happysteward wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:25 am Retired in February 2022 after 40+ years in engineering. Working on getting certified to teach English to internationals, next chapter has begun :happy
Oh it's about time! After 40+ years in engineering it's about time to see the world as it is without more tinkering :D Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, happysteward, and you're a valuable member of this Intrepid Class of 2022!

Now for the newest Rite of Passage for new retirees -
Take out your work Franklin Planners, or whatever engineers use, and tear them up into little pieces and, well, add them to the garden compost, or burn those Planners, in safety of course, not to violate the local No Bonfires code, or just dump them into the Big Trash Bin with appropriate blessings and Good Riddance :mrgreen:

Thank you for sharing your retirement plans in this next nice chapter of life! We wish you a long and happy retirement, and please come back and share your journey with us :sharebeer
trallium

Post by trallium »

After the most stressful bureaucratic catch-22 of of the 30-odd years I've been affiliated with my employer, I have been allowed to electronically sign my retirement paperwork. I was sent on a literally impossible errand by department A, but I was able to talk the department B into faking the impossible thing (B literally just copied a help page from B's site into an email. I had sent the same link to department A several times, but they didn't believe me until I forwarded an email from B with exactly the same words as on B's help desk site). I'll be done with work in a month, and fully retired in two.
Mybuterrier

Post by Mybuterrier »

Hello Bogleheads<
Retired last month May 2022, after 42 years of shift work . Life is good !!
Quick question currently invested former employers 401 K, and also have a outside financial adviser that control the majority of my wife and I financial nest egg. He has done very well for both of us .
Is now the time to rollover my 401k into the financial advisers portfolio ? Or keep the 401K as is .

Thanks
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Official retirement date is 9/12/22.
Age 57.
32.6 years as a middle school teacher.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

A "Big Hurray!" for everyone meeting their goals and dreams so far this year, and also for those who may be leaving a little earlier than planned! Life happens.

I officially have just 7 work days left between now and the end of July, burning off vacation for the rest. Mathematically, in my personal situation, taking the vacation is a better deal than getting paid and taxed on unused vacation on the final day, because I'm also building lifelong pension income while on vacation. I intend to remain flexible though, and may get a small extra check at the end for additional unplanned work.

Tasks and projects are being handed off, and I am a little shocked at how valuable some of the things I do/did have been assessed, given very little acknowledgement for them before my retirement announcement. Everyone so far has been very positive. Perhaps the best time to go. :shock: :happy
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
victw

Post by victw »

Ok. I was done last year - or maybe the year before (2020) when I left work to do the first bucket item. My husband went part-time last year and finished this spring.

I keep looking at the market with a total pit in my stomach. Do I have a plan? Sortof. Never really wrote a full IPS. We have enough cash to get through November. We are not likely to do anything stupid. But daily 1% drops and trips to the grocery store with regular price increases. It's like you are catching it from both sides.

The free fall thread used to be fun to read - but not so much anymore because there are no more 401k contributions DCAing into the market.

I can't seem to find the BigERN post about retiring at peaks. We did sort of - retire at a peak - but not intentionally. At this point in time, we are definitely closer to the peak than feels comfortable.

Do we have enough? Yes. But we made odd decisions. Retiring without owning a house. And we never imagined a high inflation scenario.

In the end, we will be fine. But I wonder if there are folks out there like us - that have also retired in the past few years, 2020 - 2021 in the face of Covid and 2022 in the face of crazy markets. How are you managing?

Vic
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Jeepergeo wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:51 pm February 27 was effectively my last day at the office and I don't plan to go back. I'm still on the payroll and have taken on a few consulting assignments on an hourly basis from home, but it's not enough to tie me down nor will I let it get that way.
Way to go, Jeepergeo! Don't let it tie you down and don't let it get in your way of retiring into the next great phase of life :D Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and this Marvelous Class of 2022!

We wish you a long wonderful retirement - please keep us posted on your adventures :beer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

usa wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:37 pm Hi, I am moving my retirement to 10/31/22. Not because of the market, but because by then I will have accrued additional sick leave to add another month to my pension calculation. I just can't leave anything on the table!
Oh for sure! I wouldn't leave anything on the table, I even scoop up the crumbs :D Your pension is worth a gold mine, good to make it as big as possible. We hope everything goes according to plan. Please let us know when your retirement party begins !!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

jh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:15 pm I will be retiring on June 30, 2022. Age 46. Worked for 22 years in IT.
Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call, jh! And to this Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022 :D Working 22 years in IT is a good beginning for your new retirement "job" - helping family, friends, neighbors, and all their family, friends and neighbors, fix their computers or try to log in :mrgreen:

We see that you joined this remarkable Bogleheads.org forum in May 2007, only 3 months after this forum was born! Your portfolio must be a wonderful sight to behold 8-) :moneybag We wish you a long enjoyable retirement, please keep us posted!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

JBTX wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:03 pm I guess I’m an odd duck.
I can’t say anything with near certainty and don’t have definitive plans. I’m 58 and I’ve kind of been on a pre-retirement wind-down for a couple of years, working part time contract 100% at home. I don’t see myself going back to full time employment, although never say never. My wife (few years younger) will likely continue working for at least several more years unless employer sold the company.

When this gig winds down, likely later this year, will I find /look for another one? I don’t know. If I found an assignment mostly at home that was interesting I may. But I’ll be more picky about it.

Hi JBTX! Ok, we'll include you in this Awesome Retirement Class of 2022 - and by the way, you look right at home with your classmates!

If you decide to re-up your gig or find some other work, please let us know and we'll simply re-boot you :D We look forward to your many helpful posts, so don't take on anything that requires all your time :wink:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

JRA wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:12 pm Called it quits on May 7, 2022 at age 65. My wife is still working part time, but that will probably end by the end of the summer.
Welcome to this Fabulous Retirement Class of 2022 - you're ON the Retirement Roll Call! Happy to hear you called it quits :D

And not only that - we're happy to note that you are among the few Bogleheads on this most illustrious Retirement Roll Call to receive one of the Very Coveted Honors of Senior Class Boglehead Retirees - having joined this fabulous Bogleheads.org forum on Aug 3, 2007, the year this forum was born! Your portfolio must be a most awesome sight to behold :moneybag

Please keep us posted on your retirement path. Best wishes for a long healthy exciting retirement! 8-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

HENRYGRUGER wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 pm I am planning to retire 6-30-2023, but it could be sooner, as I submitted a letter to my institution's President today, voicing "great displeasure" with certain upcoming events, and my letter may have included the phrase "hostile working environment."

My letter will meet with one of two eventualities...my concerns will be acknowledged and addressed, and I will entertain an extension of my contract...or it will not be so received, and I will work out my existing contract, which expires 6-20-2023, or be asked to mail my laptop in and be looking for my final paycheck and my cashed out PTO hours.

Either way, I am looking forward to 6-30-2023.
OK Henry! That's quite a story about telling your boss you're done-and-out, which "just may" have included the phrase "hostile working environment." :wink:
HENRYGRUGER wrote:My bride of 49 years {awww!} is a 67 year old retired housewife and I will be 72 in October, 2022. This is my third career and after 53 years of contributing to the general welfare of my country, I am ready to refocus my attention to health maximization, travel, spending time developing skills in the shooting (targets) sports and riding my Harley TriGlide.

$63,000 in SS Benefits and $1.2M in 4 Fund Portfolio...40% Roth IRA, 25% Traditional IRA and 35% Taxable Brokerage Account. Considering an Annuity to supplement income and as a substitute for Bonds, leaving the balance in Equities.
Sounds like you have your plans all laid out and you're ready to roll! Thanks so much for sharing your story and your retirement path 8-)
HENRYGRUGER wrote:Will keep eyes peeled for Class of 2023 Retirement Class Announcement.
Your Retirement Class of 2023 classmates are looking for you!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

cockersx3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:23 am OK, I'm calling it. Put me down for retirement on 30 September 2022.
Great cockersx3! That's only three months away - got everything signed and ready to go? Welcome to this Most Illustrious Retirement Roll Call and the Class of 2022 :D
cockersx3 wrote: Currently working in an all-remote position that has mostly been very very light (ie less than 5 hrs/week max), but the workload is likely to dramatically increase over the summer. Unfortunately for my employer (but fortunately for me :beer ), this extended downtime has made me realize that I really enjoy having my time to myself! I've picked up a few new hobbies after having been a workaholic for so many years, and I've even become a "band dad" (ie officer in the band booster group) to support my kid's favorite activity at school. Seriously regret not having made the time to do this sooner! Better late than never, I guess....
Nice story! Thanks for sharing. You're gonna love being a Band Dad :musical_note:
cockersx3 wrote:For me, "retirement" will mean the end of needing to work on things I don't want to do. I don't think I will quit working entirely - can definitely see some potential for future consulting work in my field, provided that it's a project I want to do, and it's with people I want to work with, and it doesn't preclude me from spending time on my hobbies and volunteer work. And if a "unicorn" opportunity like that doesn't materialize, that's fine with me!

I'll be 49.9 years old at that point, so can say that I was able to retire before 50 :-) Just gotta power through the summer to avoid needing to pay back the starting bonus they gave me when I started this job. I think I can manage - only 4 months, but will be taking vacation for a month of that. And besides, the starting bonus wasn't *that* large if I decide to pull the plug earlier!
Oh you'll manage - 4 months is less than half the time it takes to have a baby :P But don't give up that starting bonus money - take everything you can while you can before punching out, never know what's ahead, my two cents.
cockersx3 wrote:Looking forward to embarking on the journey with you all!
We're certainly excited to have you on the Roll Call and looking forward to hearing how your retirement goes! Keep marching with the band, relish all your new hobbies, watch your money, and enjoy your new freedom. We wish you a long, happy retirement :beer
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Hello, I'm also part of "Class of 2022" graduates. My retirement came suddenly due to long covid, so I'm not thrilled about the fact the choice was made for me, but all in all I am happy. DW and I have sufficient assets for our lifestyle and that is all that matters -- I consider myself lucky. We have an LMP portfolio with a TIPS ladder giving us our floor income and the rest in stocks plus some nominal treasuries.

Our plans are a lot of road trips in the US and Canada, as well as some travel to Europe. I'll also get back to my photography hobby.

Here's a toast to all 2022 graduates :beer
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

squirrel1963 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:10 pm Our plans are a lot of road trips in the US and Canada, as well as some travel to Europe. I'll also get back to my photography hobby.
Back at you! :sharebeer

Tomorrow is my last "real" day of work. After that it is vacation until the end of July for the official date. I will be looking in occasionally to make sure my former cow orkers are proceeding to ork properly and with alacrity (a sense of joyful purpose, for what else is orking about after all?).

At some point I hope to travel by roads from the lower 48 up through Canada to Alaska. I think that could take anywhere from a season to a lifetime to do properly.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

trallium wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:03 pm After the most stressful bureaucratic catch-22 of of the 30-odd years I've been affiliated with my employer, I have been allowed to electronically sign my retirement paperwork. I was sent on a literally impossible errand by department A, but I was able to talk the department B into faking the impossible thing (B literally just copied a help page from B's site into an email. I had sent the same link to department A several times, but they didn't believe me until I forwarded an email from B with exactly the same words as on B's help desk site). I'll be done with work in a month, and fully retired in two.
Way to go, trallium! At least you caught that big bureaucratic glitch, what a story! Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call and you're on the roster for the great Class of 2022 :D

And about this big retirement party you're planning in that other thread - can you handle a couple hundred more? Bogleheads are well-behaved and family friendly, and we won't embarrass you!

squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

tooluser wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:48 pm At some point I hope to travel by roads from the lower 48 up through Canada to Alaska. I think that could take anywhere from a season to a lifetime to do properly.
Yes absolutely. Top destinations for us are national parks, wildlife refuges, museum and historical places of the revolutionary war and civil war, plus road trips. I reckon it will be at least 4-5 years just for a cursory introduction, DW and I have a very long list.
Our first road trip will be trans-Canada highway from Vancouver BC to Halifax NS and then return to our home near Portland OR via the US. Even doing it in hurry would be a 1 month trip. We might also split it into several smaller trips, we'll see.

I also went (alone) a few times to Antarctica and the Arctic (DW doesn't like cold), and there a few places I'd still like to see.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:30 pm
Okay, I am going to call it. I was laid off in the early stages of the pandemic with the possibility of being recalled, but that didn't happen. I have had some opportunities pop up but decided not to pursue them. So I guess I am accidentally retired. Let's see if it sticks this time.

Way to go TimeLord! How nice to welcome you to this Most Awesome Retirement Roll Call for 2022! You're a great addition to this Great Class :D And yes, for sure, it's going to stick - and if not, well, you know who to call - we just reboot you :beer

That's OK to be "accidentally retired" - haha! We had another Boglehead who "accidentally retired," filled out the wrong paperwork or something and then decided, "What the heck, I'll just retire," and another Boglehead who "inadvertently" joined the retirement class, and another time we had a Boglehead who "might have just added" himself to the retirement class, so now we have TheTimeLord moving from The Infinity Retirement Class to this Most Highly Respected Retirement Class of 2022 by being "pandemically pushed" into retirement! You're gonna love it :D

There are many paths to retirement, but the end is the same Sunny Side of the street and a big welcome to the Retirement Roll Call 8-)
Reading again this thread I realize I'm not the only "accidentally retired" Boglehead by a long stretch, whether it be stressful work, health or life events. For me it was a combination of my mother passing away in February and covid19. My long covid symptom (called "brain fog" by the press) prevents me from being able to concentrate enough to do software engineering. My megacorp employer has been really nice to me and let me have 3 months with fully pay and benefits plus my last stock vest, then asked me to apply for disability. I expect disability to be denied as doctors seem hesitant to diagnose a poorly understood ilness for which there is no unambiguous test. I'll most likely call it on July 2nd in order to get one more month of paid health benefits, then I'll go on COBRA.

I have no intention of returning to work. All of this, as well as the experience of many others, has taught me that our time on this planet is short. We have 50x expenses, so we need to enjoy them while we can. Carpe Diem !
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mybuterrier wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:05 am Retired last month May 2022, after 42 years of shift work . Life is good !! ==> Wow 42 years of shift work! Time for a good retirement!

Quick question currently invested former employers 401 K, and also have a outside financial adviser that control the majority of my wife and I financial nest egg. He has done very well for both of us.

Is now the time to rollover my 401k into the financial advisers portfolio ? Or keep the 401K as is. ==> Saw your other thread - what have you decided to do with your old employer 401K?
Hope you continue to enjoy your retirement :sharebeer
Runyer

Post by Runyer »

Hello Retirement Class of 2022! My official date of June 30th is fast approaching. I’ve been working from home since June 1, mostly just making myself available for phone calls and a few meetings with staff members and my replacement. Wife and I hit the road for out west on Tuesday morning for six weeks. Lots of fly fishing, hiking, and relaxing in Idaho and Montana! Will also get to see some old friends and co-workers with visits from family members. More excited then I’ve been in a long time!

It’s been a incredible journey to get here and I’m ready. Recent market downturn has caused me to review my plan over and over and can say that it’s made me take a more careful look at my plan. Fortunately, that has provided me more confidence that I’ve planned well for this over the past five years.

Wish everyone well and I hope to be a more consistent contributor to this forum in the future! Thank you Bogleheads! The new journey begins!

Runyer
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

MNGopher wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:21 pm Official retirement date is 9/12/22.
Age 57.
32.6 years as a middle school teacher.
September is coming right up, MNGopher! Before you know it, you'll be out of a job LOL! :D Welcome to this Astonishing Retirement Roll Call and this Intrepid Retirement Class of 2022!

Almost 33 years as a middle school teacher is a remarkable feat! You must have nerves of steel and a good sense of humor 8-) You'll surely be ready for retirement and the great relief it brings to the weary. Please let us know how you plan your retirement and what neat things you're doing. We wish you all the best in this exciting next phase of life :D

Oh and BTW, remember the Retirement Ritual - take out all your class planners and burn them or compost them or bequest them to your poor teacher replacements still working.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

victw wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:49 am Ok. I was done last year - or maybe the year before (2020) when I left work to do the first bucket item. My husband went part-time last year and finished this spring.

I keep looking at the market with a total pit in my stomach. Do I have a plan? Sortof. Never really wrote a full IPS. We have enough cash to get through November. We are not likely to do anything stupid. But daily 1% drops and trips to the grocery store with regular price increases. It's like you are catching it from both sides.

The free fall thread used to be fun to read - but not so much anymore because there are no more 401k contributions DCAing into the market.

I can't seem to find the BigERN post about retiring at peaks. We did sort of - retire at a peak - but not intentionally. At this point in time, we are definitely closer to the peak than feels comfortable.

Do we have enough? Yes. But we made odd decisions. Retiring without owning a house. And we never imagined a high inflation scenario.

In the end, we will be fine. But I wonder if there are folks out there like us - that have also retired in the past few years, 2020 - 2021 in the face of Covid and 2022 in the face of crazy markets. How are you managing?

Vic
Thank you for your thoughtful, interesting post :happy

Perhaps this thread will offer some ideas - 2021/2022 retirees: your feelings
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

squirrel1963 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:10 pm Hello, I'm also part of "Class of 2022" graduates. My retirement came suddenly due to long covid, so I'm not thrilled about the fact the choice was made for me, but all in all I am happy. DW and I have sufficient assets for our lifestyle and that is all that matters -- I consider myself lucky. We have an LMP portfolio with a TIPS ladder giving us our floor income and the rest in stocks plus some nominal treasuries.

Our plans are a lot of road trips in the US and Canada, as well as some travel to Europe. I'll also get back to my photography hobby.

Hi Squirrel1963 and a Big Welcome to this Remarkable Retirement Class of 2022! And now for those wonderful words that bring such joy to all: "You're on the Retirement Roll Call!!" :D

It doesn't matter how you got here, you made it and that's what's important! You're joining the ranks of BHs who were pandemically pushed into retirement. But we're sorry you have to put up with long covid and we hope a nice easy retirement with all your great adventures will push out your repercussions of that nasty virus. Thank you for sharing your financial story and we hope everything continues on course with your finances :moneybag

Best wishes for a long happy, healthy retirement :sharebeer
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:41 am
squirrel1963 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:10 pm Hello, I'm also part of "Class of 2022" graduates. My retirement came suddenly due to long covid, so I'm not thrilled about the fact the choice was made for me, but all in all I am happy. DW and I have sufficient assets for our lifestyle and that is all that matters -- I consider myself lucky. We have an LMP portfolio with a TIPS ladder giving us our floor income and the rest in stocks plus some nominal treasuries.

Hi Squirrel1963 and a Big Welcome to this Remarkable Retirement Class of 2022! And now for those wonderful words that bring such joy to all: "You're on the Retirement Roll Call!!" :D

It doesn't matter how you got here, you made it and that's what's important! You're joining the ranks of BHs who were pandemically pushed into retirement. But we're sorry you have to put up with long covid and we hope a nice easy retirement with all your great adventures will push out your repercussions of that nasty virus. Thank you for sharing your financial story and we hope everything continues on course with your finances :moneybag

Best wishes for a long happy, healthy retirement :sharebeer
Thanks miriam2 and thanks for keeping the roll call tradition, it's something I enjoy reading it a lot.
You can now pencil me in for 5/7/2022 as my official retirement date :-)
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

squirrel1963 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:04 pm Thanks miriam2 and thanks for keeping the roll call tradition, it's something I enjoy reading it a lot.
You can now pencil me in for 5/7/2022 as my official retirement date :-)
Thanks for the thanks! Now you're part of the tradition 8-)
squirrel1963 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:13 pm .. . Top destinations for us are national parks, wildlife refuges, museum and historical places of the revolutionary war and civil war, plus road trips. I reckon it will be at least 4-5 years just for a cursory introduction, DW and I have a very long list.
Our first road trip will be trans-Canada highway from Vancouver BC to Halifax NS and then return to our home near Portland OR via the US. Even doing it in hurry would be a 1 month trip. We might also split it into several smaller trips, we'll see.

I also went (alone) a few times to Antarctica and the Arctic (DW doesn't like cold), and there a few places I'd still like to see.
Squirrel!! You really are adventurous - Antarctica and the Arctic :shock: The Trans-Canada Highway to Halifax and back sounds wonderful - but seems like you need more than a month to really enjoy it and explore where you are, taking it all in. Please let us know what you decide and give us daily updates as you travel :idea:
squirrel1963 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:31 pm Reading again this thread I realize I'm not the only "accidentally retired" Boglehead by a long stretch, whether it be stressful work, health or life events. For me it was a combination of my mother passing away in February and covid19. My long covid symptom (called "brain fog" by the press) . . .

I have no intention of returning to work. All of this, as well as the experience of many others, has taught me that our time on this planet is short. We have 50x expenses, so we need to enjoy them while we can. Carpe Diem !
Thank you for sharing :happy

"One day you turn around and it's summer
Next day you turn around and it's fall
And the springs and the winters of a lifetime
Whatever happened to them all?"
-- Bob Dylan, "September Of My Years"
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

tooluser wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:48 pm Tomorrow is my last "real" day of work. After that it is vacation until the end of July for the official date. I will be looking in occasionally to make sure my former cow orkers are proceeding to ork properly and with alacrity (a sense of joyful purpose, for what else is orking about after all?).

At some point I hope to travel by roads from the lower 48 up through Canada to Alaska. I think that could take anywhere from a season to a lifetime to do properly.
Way to go, tooluser! Moving out from your work - your sense of joyful purpose LOL :D - to your next phase of, hmm, shiftless meandering ?? or exciting adventures !!

Actually, with the wind at your back and the open road ahead of you, what a great way to begin your new journey!

Keep us posted on your adventures!
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Well, I made it out as planned on July 1. My last day was a complicated mix of emotions, very strange as I walked out with my bankers box of office materials and a few gifts from friends. All that washed away when I got home to a warm welcome from my family, some really nice champagne and a good meal. Here's to a good career and new life!
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

Bronko wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:17 pm May 31, 2022 unless I do something ridiculous like OMY.

What will I do? Whatever I want.
Update. I did retire as planned. Now let’s see how it pans out with this fun market ride. All the best to the others in 2022!
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

desiderium wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:46 am Well, I made it out as planned on July 1. My last day was a complicated mix of emotions, very strange as I walked out with my bankers box of office materials and a few gifts from friends. All that washed away when I got home to a warm welcome from my family, some really nice champagne and a good meal. Here's to a good career and new life!
Congratulations! Enjoy your freedom.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Bronko wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:37 am
Bronko wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:17 pm May 31, 2022 unless I do something ridiculous like OMY.

Update. I did retire as planned. Now let’s see how it pans out with this fun market ride. All the best to the others in 2022!
Congratulations!

It would have been fun to hear about something ridiculous being done! Now that you are retired and free, being ridiculous can be fun and without potential employer sanctions!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Runyer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:04 am Hello Retirement Class of 2022! My official date of June 30th is fast approaching. I’ve been working from home since June 1, mostly just making myself available for phone calls and a few meetings with staff members and my replacement. Wife and I hit the road for out west on Tuesday morning for six weeks. Lots of fly fishing, hiking, and relaxing in Idaho and Montana! Will also get to see some old friends and co-workers with visits from family members. More excited then I’ve been in a long time!

It’s been a incredible journey to get here and I’m ready. Recent market downturn has caused me to review my plan over and over and can say that it’s made me take a more careful look at my plan. Fortunately, that has provided me more confidence that I’ve planned well for this over the past five years.

Wish everyone well and I hope to be a more consistent contributor to this forum in the future! Thank you Bogleheads! The new journey begins!

Runyer
Big thanks for your update story :D And yes, we're looking forward to all your contributions to this wonderful forum - we could use help with the zoom meetings :mrgreen:

Best wishes for your new journey, it's looking good!
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

Both me (61) and DW (64) retired on July 1, after delaying original date for over 2 years. The reason for delaying was there was not much difference whether to retire or not, and there were travel restrictions.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

desiderium wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:46 am Well, I made it out as planned on July 1. My last day was a complicated mix of emotions, very strange as I walked out with my bankers box of office materials and a few gifts from friends. All that washed away when I got home to a warm welcome from my family, some really nice champagne and a good meal. Here's to a good career and new life!
Congratulations! 🎉 🎉

Oh we know those complicated mix of emotions on the last day of work - so nice you had such a warm welcome from your family for this very special new beginning :D Perfectly said, a good career and a new life. We wish you a long, happy retirement!
HENRYGRUGER

Post by HENRYGRUGER »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:49 am
HENRYGRUGER wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 pm I am planning to retire 6-30-2023, but it could be sooner, as I submitted a letter to my institution's President today, voicing "great displeasure" with certain upcoming events, and my letter may have included the phrase "hostile working environment."

Either way, I am looking forward to 6-30-2023.
OK Henry! That's quite a story about telling your boss you're done-and-out, which "just may" have included the phrase "hostile working environment." :wink:
HENRYGRUGER wrote:My bride of 49 years {awww!} is a 67 year old retired housewife and I will be 72 in October, 2022. This is my third career and after 53 years of contributing to the general welfare of my country, I am ready to refocus my attention to health maximization, travel, spending time developing skills in the shooting (targets) sports and riding my Harley TriGlide.

Sounds like you have your plans all laid out and you're ready to roll! Thanks so much for sharing your story and your retirement path 8-)
HENRYGRUGER wrote:Will keep eyes peeled for Class of 2023 Retirement Class Announcement.
Miriam2...

To follow up my last note, effective 1July 22, I got a three year contract extension, promotion and raise. I am not sure I will stay on that long, but with issues resolved, very much in my favor, I will give it until 23 June 23 at a minimum. FYI, my "hostile working environment" has also been addressed.

It's nice to have choices!
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:49 am
HENRYGRUGER wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 pm Will keep eyes peeled for Class of 2023 Retirement Class Announcement.
HENRYGRUGER wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:45 pm To follow up my last note, effective 1July 22, I got a three year contract extension, promotion and raise. I am not sure I will stay on that long, but with issues resolved, very much in my favor, I will give it until 23 June 23 at a minimum. FYI, my "hostile working environment" has also been addressed.

It's nice to have choices!
Ok, thanks for the update! And when you decide to PUNCH OUT, you know where to find us! And we're very happy to hear that your "hostile working environment" has been addressed :D We hope that your remaining working days are good, great, awesome, fun, exciting, happy, productive and worthwhile - or at least tolerable, meh, ok, acceptable, sort of productive and somewhat worthwhile :wink: and as you say, "It's nice to have choices!"
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Bronko wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:37 am
Way to go Bronko! Congratulations and enjoy all these relaxing days - please let us know what you're doing :D
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

infotrader wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:55 pm Both me (61) and DW (64) retired on July 1, after delaying original date for over 2 years. The reason for delaying was there was not much difference whether to retire or not, and there were travel restrictions.
Congratulations infotrader! Welcome to this Most Awesome Retirement Roll Call! We're happy to have you in the Intrepid Class of 2022 :D We wish you a long wonderful retirement and hope you enjoy new adventures in your travels!
:sharebeer
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:44 pm
Congratulations! 🎉 🎉

Oh we know those complicated mix of emotions on the last day of work - so nice you had such a warm welcome from your family for this very special new beginning :D Perfectly said, a good career and a new life. We wish you a long, happy retirement!
Oh yes I know :o :shock: :) :( :? My last day was a mixed grab of emotions, difficult to describe but probably everyone who had that day can related to I imagine.
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

squirrel1963 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:46 am
Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:44 pm Oh we know those complicated mix of emotions on the last day of work -
Oh yes I know :o :shock: :) :( :? My last day was a mixed grab of emotions, difficult to describe but probably everyone who had that day can relate to I imagine.
Hey squirrel1963! If you were as cute at work as your BH avatar, no wonder your co-workers didn't want to see you go :D
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 pm
squirrel1963 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:46 am
Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:44 pm Oh we know those complicated mix of emotions on the last day of work -
Oh yes I know :o :shock: :) :( :? My last day was a mixed grab of emotions, difficult to describe but probably everyone who had that day can relate to I imagine.
Hey squirrel1963! If you were as cute at work as your BH avatar, no wonder your co-workers didn't want to see you go :D
I am quite the opposite :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am obsessed about Acorns though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

squirrel1963 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:26 pm
Miriam2 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 pm Hey squirrel1963! If you were as cute at work as your BH avatar, no wonder your co-workers didn't want to see you go :D
I am quite the opposite :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I am obsessed about Acorns though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oh do we have the right Acorn Viewing Pleasure for you! Enjoy :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvS9lvRxZ8
Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Interesting thread to read - "What do you wish you knew before you retired you know now!"

viewtopic.php?t=347678
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Dobby is free! :D