Help us select a car to buy...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LeftCoastIV

Help us select a car to buy...

Post by LeftCoastIV »

We need to purchase a car by late summer. We will not be trading in a vehicle, so we are "fully exposed" to the inflation in the car market right now. I would appreciate any advice this group has on potential good choices that could meet our desired criteria below. Thank you in advance.

Our desired attributes:
* Hybrid, e-hybrid or other vehicle with *great* gas mileage. Not interested in entirely electric (range anxiety).
* Small four-door hatchback, SUV, or wagon. The Audi Q3 is a good reference size. Small and easy to park is the goal.
* Don't really care at all about performance (horsepower, torque, etc.)
* Care about interior quality, modern infotainment system w/ Apple Play, etc.

Brands:
* Mid-tier to "entry" luxury. Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo, etc.
* We aren't looking to pinch pennies on this, as we keep our cars for a long time

New vs. Used:
* Open to either new or used, but would like to stay under 30K miles and with a warranty still in place or certified pre-owned
* If we buy used, we may need to order now to allow for 3-4 months lead time

Budget:
* $40K or so is around our top-end
cmr79

Re: Help us select a car to buy...

Post by cmr79 »

You should look at the Toyota RAV4 hybrid/RAV4 Prime. Nissan last offered a hybrid crossover/SUV with the Rogue in 2019, which would be very challenging to find with your desired mileage. I don't think you are going to find many of the entry-level luxury brands (BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo) in your price range.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

for 40k i would recommend BMW X3 as SUV but they might be priced higher now . you should also test drive Lexus NX
Thanks!
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

manuvns wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:30 am for 40k i would recommend BMW X3 as SUV but they might be priced higher now . you should also test drive Lexus NX
I could be wrong, but I don't think OP would be able to find a used BMW X3 plug-in hybrid with low mileage in their price range. They seem to be selling for roughly their new 2020-2021 MSRP. The non-PHEV X3 lineup gets below-average mileage, ~23/29 mpg, and wouldn't fit their criteria.

Similar issues for the Lexus NX...the non-hybrid versions get below-average gas mileage, and the hybrid/PHEV models (being the more expensive version of the RAV4 hybrid/prime) are over either their price range or desired used vehicle age/mileage.

Honda, Hyundai and Kia also have hybrid and plug-in hybrid SUVs in OP's price range. If OP is open to a vehicle that gets under 30 mpg combined, that would change things...but I wouldn't consider that "great" gas mileage.

Unless they get exceptionally lucky buying a used vehicle, I think that OP can choose 3 out of 4 of the following, but not all 4:
1. New/near-new low-mileage
2. >35 mpg combined efficiency
3. <$40k
4. Entry-level luxury brand
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

It's not a luxury brand, but a Subaru Crosstrek plug in hybrid is a step over a limited. The electric portion is Toyota based.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 am We need to purchase a car by late summer. We will not be trading in a vehicle, so we are "fully exposed" to the inflation in the car market right now. I would appreciate any advice this group has on potential good choices that could meet our desired criteria below. Thank you in advance.

Our desired attributes:
* Hybrid, e-hybrid or other vehicle with *great* gas mileage. Not interested in entirely electric (range anxiety).
* Small four-door hatchback, SUV, or wagon. The Audi Q3 is a good reference size. Small and easy to park is the goal.

Brands:
* We aren't looking to pinch pennies on this, as we keep our cars for a long time

New vs. Used:
* Open to either new or used, but would like to stay under 30K miles and with a warranty still in place or certified pre-owned

Budget:
Lexus ES 300h starts at 43k and it's a great car. 44 mph and more. It's a car that you can buy and drive for a very long time. Look it up and see some youtube review and then test drive the car.
Time is the ultimate currency.
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

Hyundia Ioniq 5. Supports 800v charging, which will more or less recharge your car in 15 minutes. No more range anxiety. Plus it's the best looking wagon on the market, and drives really well. ~40k after federal rebate.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 am We need to purchase a car by late summer. We will not be trading in a vehicle, so we are "fully exposed" to the inflation in the car market right now. I would appreciate any advice this group has on potential good choices that could meet our desired criteria below. Thank you in advance.

Our desired attributes:

Brands:

New vs. Used:

Budget:
Having just received mine, I'm going to throw out a Ford Maverick Hybrid. Not a hatchback but has a nice usable truck bed and meets all your other criteria.

Biggest problem will be finding/getting one in your timeframe. I ordered mine last July and received it a couple of weeks ago. 2023 models can't be ordered until 8/15/22 (expect a wait after ordering). I'm getting 40+mpg in town and got 35.5mpg on my last highway trip. I got the Lariat Lux package with Ford 360/Adaptive Cruise control for $31,463.

Edit to add: OP If the truck/timeline isn't for you, you might look around for a Ford Escape Hybrid (I believe the Maverick uses this platform).
Last edited by MrBobcat on Wed May 25, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MrBobcat wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:29 am

Our desired attributes:

Brands:

New vs. Used:

Budget:
Having just received mine, I'm going to throw out a Ford Maverick Hybrid. Not a hatchback but has a nice usable truck bed and meets all your other criteria.

Biggest problem will be finding/getting one in your timeframe. I ordered mine last July and received it a couple of weeks ago. 2023 models can't be ordered until 8/15/22 (expect a wait after ordering). I'm getting 40+mpg in town and got 35.5mpg on my last highway trip. I got the Lariat Lux package with Ford 360/Adaptive Cruise control for $31,463.
We're 6 weeks and ~900 miles into ownership of ours, currently averaging 47mpg in mixed driving (and my wife, the primary driver, has a major lead foot). We like the truck way more than we expected and it meets our needs perfectly. The only thing, even in Lariat lux trim, I would exactly say the interior is high quality (although it is plenty satisfactory for us). Good luck getting one; we waited 10-months and our dealer offered to buy ours on the spot for $5k more than our OTD price ($26,200 for XLT with a few goodies) when we went to pick it up.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Just got a loaded, almost-new RAV4 from Carmax at your price point. The process is fast and painless. While it's not a hybrid, fuel efficiency is very good.

I believe if you want a hybrid, you'd need to buy new to get any "green" credits/rebates.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

A Toyota Venza might be good to check out. Same drivetrain as the Rav4 Hybrid, but a more wagon-like body with more luxurious features.
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

We just bought a Certified Honda CR-V - not quite luxury, but definitely nice.
Ours is not the hybrid, but we're still getting 28-30 MPG in the city.
With the hybrid powertrain, I believe it's mid-30s MPG city.

This compares to the Toyota RAV4 - same basic size/class.
If you can get over the range anxiety, several of the new Electrics are really nice and would fit your price point with the Fed Rebate.
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

cmr79 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:28 am You should look at the Toyota RAV4 hybrid/RAV4 Prime. Nissan last offered a hybrid crossover/SUV with the Rogue in 2019, which would be very challenging to find with your desired mileage. I don't think you are going to find many of the entry-level luxury brands (BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo) in your price range.
+1 on the RAV4 Hybrid. We test drove one last year and were very impressed. Probably can't get the loaded trim with a ceiling of $40k, though. A Prime would be even better except they run north of $50k nowadays.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Mazda CX-50 (or other CX series). Money saved to 40k limit can be saved on gas. Better option than added weight/complexity of hybrid for marginally better mileage.

Also, consider that a delta of 25mpg->30mpg over 12,000mi of annual drive at $4.5/gal is all of $1/day.
HE Pennypacker

Post by HE Pennypacker »

Hyundai Kona Electric
Toyota bZ4X

Though I think the bZ4X is a terrible name and looks kinda odd its got the Toyota cred
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

KFBR392 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:13 pm
cmr79 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:28 am You should look at the Toyota RAV4 hybrid/RAV4 Prime. Nissan last offered a hybrid crossover/SUV with the Rogue in 2019, which would be very challenging to find with your desired mileage. I don't think you are going to find many of the entry-level luxury brands (BMW, Audi, Lexus, Volvo) in your price range.
+1 on the RAV4 Hybrid. We test drove one last year and were very impressed. Probably can't get the loaded trim with a ceiling of $40k, though. A Prime would be even better except they run north of $50k nowadays.
There have been a lot of rumblings about crazy markups on the RAV4 Prime, but apparently most people are actually paying MSRP. That probably means ordering them through a dealership and waiting several months given the low inventory rather than paying a markup for something the dealer has available. If OP can do that within their timeframe, the base model RAV4 Prime is still eligible for the full $7500 tax credit right now (Toyota has about 10k vehicles left before it starts to phase out) and would lower the price to the MSRP of the same trim level RAV4 hybrid. The higher trim level MSRP still falls below $40k after the tax rebate if you don't add the most expensive premium options package.
henry

Post by henry »

If the Audi Q3 is the reference size and excellent fuel economy is a priority, I am going to suggest the Lexus UX250h. Its a traditional hybrid vehicle. 42 mpg on the highway. Not fast and the Lexus infotainment is fussy to use but I think it does come with Apple CarPlay.

Mini Cooper Countryman and BMW X1 could be options too but they are not hybrids.

Toyota Venza was already mentioned but it is a size bigger than these but it is a hybrid and also gets good gas mileage.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

I'd take a serious look at the RAV4 Prime.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Johny Fever

Post by Johny Fever »

Buy a RAV4 hybrid XLE model and you are all set...low 40s mpg and built well and drives well. I like the Venza idea as well. Good luck!
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Toyota RAV4 - meets all your criteria. I've had mine for 2.5 years, and have averaged 41 mpg over that time.

I bought it before the new version of the Venza was released; if I were in the market at the moment, I'd totally consider the Venza - I prefer the aesthetics over the RAV4.

I would also be very interested in the new Lexus **NX 350h.** It had not yet been released when I was shopping in 2019, or I think this would have been my final selection. I used to have a Lexus RX 350, and kept it for 250k miles. Very comfortable, solid, no issue with squeaks and rattles, additional soundproofing, etc. The own downside was its mpg - ~ 21 mpg on average. I have to admit that the RAV4 is nowhere near as quiet, which annoys me. The NX 350h seems to be the size you want, and shares the same engine as the RAV4. Totally worth a look.

The Lexus UXh is horribly cramped and small; my 6' DH had difficulty getting into it without bashing his head. And the interface is akward and awful. Hard pass.
VeryBlessedCali

Post by VeryBlessedCali »

My suggestion: ACURA RDX/MDX is Honda's flagship and this suv will last you Forever. It is unpopular due to it's utilitarian Interior and subdued exterior. Think of it like this. If Porsche Macan is the Prom Queen, Acura RDX would be the editor-in-chief of yearbook club (understated but all the smarts inside) Lol.

Have a Blessed day.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

If you want a carefree life, I am very pro Japanese and anti European. Hatchbacks are sort of unknown these days compared say to a Rav 4 sort of layout. T has the best full hybrid drivetrain. I would probably not turn my nose up at a Ford Escape either, but I think Rav 4 has to be the first choice. T makes a hatchback car in the Venza, but that is quite a large car.
This time is the same
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I'm considering a Mazda 3 for myself. My preference is for a sedan, though.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab »

Another vote for Mazda. This is from watching hours of YouTube videos on compact SUVs.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:27 am T makes a hatchback car in the Venza, but that is quite a large car.
The Venza is quite a large car that is surprisingly small/cramped on the inside. I was completely shocked when I rode in one. I don't really see why someone would choose one over the Rav4.
ralphboy

Post by ralphboy »

I would stick with brands that have a good reputation. Toyota and Lexus are known for there reliability. I heard Mazda has improved a lot over the years. There's a popular youtube mechanic who hates Audi and Nissan and basically recommends Japanese brands like Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and Mazda.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

To OP
For a little more than your stated budget.

legendary reliability, quality, and longevity.

Toyota Highlander
Toyota
Honda

Based on some industry research and records.
40+ years of personal ownership + family n friends.

Toyota n Honda have always had a huge following in Hawaii especially generational ownership.

j🌺

******dis .. laimer: much like footwear and donuts, car preference is highly personal with a plethora of opiniononionizations and personal experiences.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri May 27, 2022 11:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 am

Brands:
If you like the Audi Q3, take a look at VW. The Atlas and Tiguan are pretty nice, and are made by the same parent company. You'll see that much of the interior parts are the exact same. I think VWs are a great value for their price when you compare them to Audi.

The suggestions above to look at the RAV 4 are spot on. It's going to be a lot better value than similar offerings from BMW, Lexus, or Volvo (not to mention new Lexi are some of the ugliest looking SUVs I've seen in a long time... but I digress). BMWs plug ins are expensive and its pretty new tech for them, so I would hold off and let the iron out the wrinkles before I spent that kind of money.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ralphboy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:56 am I would stick with brands that have a good reputation. Toyota and Lexus are known for there reliability. I heard Mazda has improved a lot over the years. There's a popular youtube mechanic who hates Audi and Nissan and basically recommends Japanese brands like Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and Mazda.
Not that Toyotas and Hondas aren't reliable (although Honda has seemed to take a dive in this regard over the last decade), but that's Scotty Kilmer and he's almost universally considered a joke.
Dakotah

Post by Dakotah »

I have a Rav4 Prime, and it would fit your needs. They are extremely difficult to acquire right now with everyone trying to get one before the tax-credit expires.

Although I think that a Prius Prime may be a better fit for you. It has *zero* cool-factor, but is incredibly efficient and may be easier to acquire. The interior room may surprise you.
Topic Author
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. For the poster who suggested the Lexus UX250H, this is the top of our list right now. It meets the requirements for size, hybrid/gas mileage, and quality interior. Unfortunately, it still has the legacy Lexus infotainment system with the touchpad (not touchscreen). Apple Car Play should help, but still seems out of date. On the plus side, AWD is standard on the hybrid and the price is right around our $40K range. Anyone own one of these?

The VW Atlas and Toyota Highlander are too large. The Tiguan may be as well, plus the hybrid doesn't appear (?) to be available in the US and the pricing (according to a British review site at 36K pounds) seems pretty close to the Lexus. I didn't realize VW now offered a Taos. Not hybrid, but pretty good gas mileage. A part of me feels like we're 20 years past the time when we owned a VW though. Maybe that's life stage snobbery.

Trucks are out, so that takes the Maverick off the list.
JDave

Post by JDave »

If you can afford it, Lexus #1. If you can't, Toyota #2. That's as far as quality, reliability, and cost of ownership go. Honda used to be almost equal to Toyota, but not since the turn of the millennium.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:19 am Thanks everyone for the suggestions. For the poster who suggested the Lexus UX250H, this is the top of our list right now. It meets the requirements for size, hybrid/gas mileage, and quality interior. Unfortunately, it still has the legacy Lexus infotainment system with the touchpad (not touchscreen). Apple Car Play should help, but still seems out of date. On the plus side, AWD is standard on the hybrid and the price is right around our $40K range. Anyone own one of these?
They are claustrophobic. Have you actually found one to clamber in and out of yet? If you're 6' or taller, I think you'll find it is a bad idea.

The cargo area is also extremely disappointing; you cannot stow a suitcase in it, as the battery pack is underneath that area, and "humps it up" so that the distance between the loading platform and the tonneau cover is *maybe* 8" tall.

Do not recommend.
Last edited by Sandi_k on Sat May 28, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Small Change

Post by Small Change »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:19 am Thanks everyone for the suggestions. For the poster who suggested the Lexus UX250H, this is the top of our list right now. It meets the requirements for size, hybrid/gas mileage, and quality interior. Unfortunately, it still has the legacy Lexus infotainment system with the touchpad (not touchscreen). Apple Car Play should help, but still seems out of date. On the plus side, AWD is standard on the hybrid and the price is right around our $40K range. Anyone own one of these?

The VW Atlas and Toyota Highlander are too large. The Tiguan may be as well, plus the hybrid doesn't appear (?) to be available in the US and the pricing (according to a British review site at 36K pounds) seems pretty close to the Lexus. I didn't realize VW now offered a Taos. Not hybrid, but pretty good gas mileage. A part of me feels like we're 20 years past the time when we owned a VW though. Maybe that's life stage snobbery.

FYI, the 2023 UX will include the new Lexus touchscreen infotainment system (which as I understand it is the Lexus version, first seen on 2022 NX, of the Toyota infotainment system that Toyota began to roll out on some Toyota models about a year ago).

Here is Lexus announcement of 2023 UX.

https://pressroom.lexus.com/refreshed- ... ancements/
Topic Author
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Small Change wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:09 pm

FYI, the 2023 UX will include the new Lexus touchscreen infotainment system (which as I understand it is the Lexus version, first seen on 2022 NX, of the Toyota infotainment system that Toyota began to roll out on some Toyota models about a year ago).

Here is Lexus announcement of 2023 UX.

https://pressroom.lexus.com/refreshed- ... ancements/
Thanks. Very helpful.
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

If you want a RAV4 Prime by late summer, you probably had to get you name on a list somewhere back in about January. I know a few people with recent 7-8 month waits for theirs.

Haven't seen anyone mention the plug-in hybrid Hyundai Tucson, or the Santa Fe for a bit more room. Worth checking out. They've come a long, long way. And great warranties.

And take the Toyota religiosity with a grain of salt. People talk about Toyota reliability in a way that causes people to think of them as invincible. Yes, Toyota's processes are great at driving out failures modes, but they do fail too.