Digital Drivers License: Maryland

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jebmke

Digital Drivers License: Maryland

Post by jebmke »

According to this article, digital DLs can be added to an iPhone now in MD.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/25/ip ... -maryland/

I'm sure for some, the ability to use this at TSA sites is valuable but I have no plans or interest to fly any time soon (independent of the pandemic).

What I noted in the article was this:
For now, IDs in the Wallet app can only be presented at select TSA checkpoints at select U.S. airports, with Apple advising travelers to check TSA checkpoint signage to confirm availability. Maryland's Motor Vehicle Administration said residents must continue to carry their physical driver's license or ID card with them, and noted that law enforcement will not accept Maryland driver's licenses or IDs in the Wallet app at this time.
I can imagine driving around locally without my wallet (physical DL) so this is a bit disappointing.

Has anyone heard or read anything that would indicate that this is only a temporary position by the MD MVA and law enforcement?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
bob60014

Re: Digital Drivers License: Maryland

Post by bob60014 »

Real ID and other advancements are making this possible. More states and agencies will be implementing the digital version permanently. Eventually carrying a DL will be a thing of the past. The benefit it's a time saver and, though not immediate, provides some cost savings.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

You should have Googled just before posting this. The news came out a few hours ago. Enjoy!
Marylanders Can Now Add Their Driver's License To Apple Wallet
Author: CBS Baltimore Staff
May 25, 2022 at 3:03 pm
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2022/05/ ... allet/?amp

Cheers
Topic Author
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Silk McCue wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:01 pm You should have Googled just before posting this. The news came out a few hours ago. Enjoy!
Marylanders Can Now Add Their Driver's License To Apple Wallet
Author: CBS Baltimore Staff
May 25, 2022 at 3:03 pm
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2022/05/ ... allet/?amp

Cheers
why? This says the same thing my link does. It doesn't answer my question unless I missed something.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bob60014 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:59 pm Real ID and other advancements are making this possible. More states and agencies will be implementing the digital version permanently. Eventually carrying a DL will be a thing of the past. The benefit it's a time saver and, though not immediate, provides some cost savings.
I agree; but given that it is only useful for flying and I don't fly, it has no benefit yet.
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

jebmke wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:41 pm Has anyone heard or read anything that would indicate that this is only a temporary position by the MD MVA and law enforcement?
There is obviously only one possible answer, and that answer is "it depends what you mean by temporary." I can guarantee you two things:
1. As of now this is simply a convenience extended by TSA. What is considered valid id under state law is completely unrelated, and nobody in state government at this time has any incentive or motivation to change the status quo.
2. By 2100 absolutely no one is still going to be carrying a little piece of plastic around as identification.

Make of those two points what you will.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri May 27, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jebmke wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm
bob60014 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:59 pm Real ID and other advancements are making this possible. More states and agencies will be implementing the digital version permanently. Eventually carrying a DL will be a thing of the past. The benefit it's a time saver and, though not immediate, provides some cost savings.
I agree; but given that it is only useful for flying and I don't fly, it has no benefit yet.
So basically one more reason to make sure your phone doesn't run out of juice (digital boarding passes and now digital IDs)...
RJC

Post by RJC »

"For now, the digital ID isn’t a replacement for a physical driver’s license or state ID, which the department said Marylanders must continue to carry."

So what's the point?
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:15 pm
Walkure wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 pm 2. By 2100 absolutely no one is still going to be carrying a little piece of plastic around as identification.
There are plenty of people that eschew technology. And I don’t just mean the Amish.
I'll rephrase that. By 2100, any third party who cares to verify your identity won't be relying on "something you have" (be it plastic, tech or otherwise) to do so.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

RJC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:21 pm "For now, the digital ID isn’t a replacement for a physical driver’s license or state ID, which the department said Marylanders must continue to carry."

So what's the point?
If you lose your wallet, you can still fly domestically via your digital ID on your phone?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Walkure wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 pm
Walkure wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 pm 2. By 2100 absolutely no one is still going to be carrying a little piece of plastic around as identification.
There are plenty of people that eschew technology. And I don’t just mean the Amish.
I'll rephrase that. By 2100, any third party who cares to verify your identity won't be relying on "something you have" (be it plastic, tech or otherwise) to do so.
What will they use? Biometrics?
Walkure

Post by Walkure »

anon_investor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:27 pm
Walkure wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 pm
What will they use? Biometrics?
Haven't the foggiest. But it's obvious that any token, however sophisticated, won't be able to provide verifiable provenance once quantum computing goes mainstream. Unless of course, we're back to rubbing sticks together to make fire by then, but in that case no one cares about your identity either.
Topic Author
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

anon_investor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 pm
RJC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:21 pm "For now, the digital ID isn’t a replacement for a physical driver’s license or state ID, which the department said Marylanders must continue to carry."

So what's the point?
If you lose your wallet, you can still fly domestically via your digital ID on your phone?
yeah; just can't drive home :P
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

jebmke wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:37 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 pm

So what's the point?
yeah; just can't drive home :P
But you can use your phone to order an uber!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:15 pm There are plenty of people that eschew technology. And I don’t just mean the Amish.
Yep, just this morning I watched a family spend 30 minutes with a paper map spread out on the hood of their car, planning a <200 mile drive. When done, one family member used their smartphone to text the route to another. :oops:
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

lazydavid wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:07 pm Yep, just this morning I watched a family spend 30 minutes with a paper map spread out on the hood of their car, planning a <200 mile drive. When done, one family member used their smartphone to text the route to another. :oops:
I might have done the same (but probably not for 30 minutes). A phone’s screen is just too small for me for that sort of thing - I’d rather use a paper map or map book if I have one at hand.
Topic Author
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Gryphon wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:03 pm
lazydavid wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:07 pm Yep, just this morning I watched a family spend 30 minutes with a paper map spread out on the hood of their car, planning a <200 mile drive. When done, one family member used their smartphone to text the route to another. :oops:
I might have done the same (but probably not for 30 minutes). A phone’s screen is just too small for me for that sort of thing - I’d rather use a paper map or map book if I have one at hand.
I do this often; just a quick look. Most of the time I can memorize my route - I'm still good for up to 7 turns. GPS often doesn't take you the best way in rural areas; the maps are mostly complete but the routing isn't that good.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

So what's the point?
Gotta start somewhere. NFC payments were nowhere to be found 8 years ago when Apple Pay came out. Now they’re everywhere. This will mature like everything else.

Let’s see what Digital IDs can be used for in 2030.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

We’ll have implanted chips with RFID. Eventually brain machine interfaces. Phones are old school.
Watty

Post by Watty »

So what's the point?
Maybe to make it easier for underage kids to get into bars with a fake ID.

An app like that would be ridiculously easy to duplicate well enough to show at the door of a bar.