Are insurance premiums wages when calculating max profit share on solo 401(k)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
cwalli80

Are insurance premiums wages when calculating max profit share on solo 401(k)

Post by cwalli80 »

Hello:

I understand that for an S Corp, the employer profit sharing contribution on a solo 401(k) is limited to 25% of compensation and it seems the most common definition for compensation is W2 wages (box 1 + elective deferrals). Given that health insurance premiums are paid as wages and would appear in box 1 I'm unclear if they would be included in the calculation. Can anyone clarify? I have a Vanguard Solo 401(k) if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
nyinvestor718

Re: Are insurance premiums wages when calculating max profit share on solo 401(k)

Post by nyinvestor718 »

Yes, both health care premiums and HSA contributions.
Judge Learned Hand: "Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury".
Topic Author
cwalli80

Re: Are insurance premiums wages when calculating max profit share on solo 401(k)

Post by cwalli80 »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:06 pm Yes, both health care premiums and HSA contributions.
Thank you!