Finding reasonably priced groceries

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: Finding reasonably priced groceries

Post by michaeljc70 »

Virtually everything we buy to eat has gone up or the size has shrunk for the same price.

We live in a large city and have a lot of options for shopping. Within 3 miles there are at least 10 different grocery stores and a Costco and Aldi. I use the site Flipp (they also have an app) which lets you browse circulars (not just groceries) or search for specific items on sale. My "system" is to mostly buy staples at Costco or Aldi. Then I quickly browse the weekly ads for the stores I shop the most and pick the one or two that have the best deals on stuff we eat/cook. Sometimes I do that twice a week if we run out of produce or something else we need. I don't waste a lot of time, gas and effort going to 10 different stores for 20 items.

I think one of the keys to saving money on food is being flexible. If you go with a specific list and buy without regard to price, you will spend much more. We buy based on what is on sale and cook accordingly. Rarely do we have to have some very specific protein or produce. We keep the proteins we use most in the freezer bought on sale so proteins are less of a factor for us.

People have mentioned Aldi's, and while it is cheaper than many other stores, they haven't been immune to price hikes. One item I buy there has gone from $3.49 to $5.49 in a matter of 16 months. Other items have shrunk.

I have a vacuum sealer and buy proteins when on sale and package and freeze. The proteins that are still cheap here on sale are chicken legs (69 cents/lb), pork shoulder (99 cents/lb), pork tenderloin ($2.99/lb), shrimp (various prices/sizes, they've gone up but not as much as a lot of other things). We can often get good cuts of beef on sale for holidays. I bought 2 standing rib roasts at Easter for $5.99/lb and cut it into thick
ribeyes. Keeping the freezer(s) organized by labelling and dating everything and keeping like items in the same area of the freezer is very important.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

We order online and pick up. I've noticed the last 3 weeks our groceries have really gone up -- we used to spend roughly $150-175 per order. Now all of a sudden we're spending $240-260. I noticed some items I like have really increased in price -- for example Stok Cold Brew Coffee used to be $4.19 and now all of a sudden is $5.99.

For the most part I've been able to stem price increases on grocery stores by taking advantage of various rewards programs. I've been buying our local grocery store gift cards for anywhere from 10%-25% off for over a year. I have about $1500 stockpiled, will be interesting to see how long I can fend off the increases.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Use all your local resources.

Aldi, Walmart, Asian Markets, local chains (sale items only)

Prices are up everywhere . As someone who eats whole food, plant based it has been a joy to skip all dairy, eggs, cheese, meats, fish and heavily processed/packaged food. :arrow:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed May 25, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

From the news stories I am reading, I don't think we can assume that a plant-based diet will always be the cheapest going forward. We are so used to certain foods "always" being there and "always" being cheap.

Consider palm oil, recently the subject of an export ban from Indonesia which supplies 60% of it. Sunflower oil is in shortage due to the Ukraine war. We are used to thinking "well sunflowers grow in Kansas, we won't be affected in the United States" but it's becoming clear in response to the Ukraine situation that food is being shifted to other places to prevent social unrest when people can't buy what they need. Just because it grows here doesn't mean you will be able to buy its refined product reliably or cheaply. The baby formula "airlift" from Europe is an example of what I think is happening, governments getting involved because they are alarmed about feeding their people, so they swap stuff.

Same with beans and rice. We think those will always be dirt cheap and sold in 25-pound bags. Maybe not, if they are diverted somewhere else. I know I had trouble finding lentils back in April. I used to choose from 10 dusty bags on a bottom shelf. Only Winco had them. If these form a big part of anyone's diet it might be as well to buy them now while they are still reasonably priced.

Remember when eggs were cheap protein? Just a few months ago.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Ivygirl wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:09 am Remember when eggs were cheap protein? Just a few months ago.
We haven't really noticed a significant change. We've always bought cage free brown eggs, usually from Sam's but occasionally from Costco. Last summer we paid $4.48 for 2 dozen, while this past weekend we paid $5.18. So yes it's gone up, but only by about 3 cents per egg, from 19 cents to 22 cents apiece. Still a very cheap protein. :)
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

Normal large dozen eggs were as low as .49, and were routinely around .69 to .89 at Lidl just a few months ago. Now, normal large dozen eggs have shot up to $2.3-$2.8 range.

Meanwhile, cage free egg prices haven't moved too much. Recently, Lidl had 18 for $3. Amazon Fresh has 12 for $2.48 (and they keep giving out 20 off 40 coupons. Great store to check out if you're in the DC area, Chicago Land, Northern Philly, LA... as long as they keep up the coupon gravy train. Otherwise, weird store for operations (issues with checkout, slow to restock shelves, etc).
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:54 pm
Ivygirl wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:09 am Remember when eggs were cheap protein? Just a few months ago.
We haven't really noticed a significant change. We've always bought cage free brown eggs, usually from Sam's but occasionally from Costco. Last summer we paid $4.48 for 2 dozen, while this past weekend we paid $5.18. So yes it's gone up, but only by about 3 cents per egg, from 19 cents to 22 cents apiece. Still a very cheap protein. :)
Isn't that a rise of 14% in one year? Edited to add: Less than a year. It isn't summer yet.

Analysts expect higher egg prices through 2022:

https://foodinstitute.com/focus/analyst ... ough-2022/
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Ivygirl wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:32 pm Isn't that a rise of 14% in one year? Edited to add: Less than a year. It isn't summer yet.
Oh it definitely is a 14% increase, but folks upthread were talking about 400-500% increases. I was simply responding that I do think eggs are still "a cheap source of protein", at least from my perspective. I mean, we're talking about the cost for your morning breakfast of 2 eggs going up by six cents--or by less than a dime if 3-egg omlettes are your thing. That's not nothing, but it doesn't exactly move the needle for most of us on BH.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Just got back from the grocery store :shock: Boneless chicken breasts were $4.09/lb. and there was a limit of 4, was $1.88/lb. a year ago and (I believe) $2.99 2 weeks ago. Eggs prices were stable from two weeks ago ($16.xx for 5 dozen). More and more limits on purchase of specific products and empty shelves. Our total grocery costs are up >20% so far since last year and doesn't seem to be much more we can do about it.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:29 am
muffins14 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:29 pm I find Trader Joe’s to be well priced
I would agree on their packaged goods (shelf/frozen). Fresh stuff is typically more expensive than pretty much any other option, IME.
Must be a location/regional thing. TJs is noticeably cheaper than all of our other supermarket style options. That's for packaged foods and fresh (some previously frozen), especially vegetables, dairy, meats and fish. We also find the quality to be much better for fish. Unfortunately their fish variety is limited. We do at least 75% of our food shopping at TJs.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

lazydavid wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:43 pm
Ivygirl wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:32 pm Isn't that a rise of 14% in one year? Edited to add: Less than a year. It isn't summer yet.
Oh it definitely is a 14% increase, but folks upthread were talking about 400-500% increases. I was simply responding that I do think eggs are still "a cheap source of protein", at least from my perspective. I mean, we're talking about the cost for your morning breakfast of 2 eggs going up by six cents--or by less than a dime if 3-egg omlettes are your thing. That's not nothing, but it doesn't exactly move the needle for most of us on BH.
In terms of action: eggs can be frozen:
https://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes/c ... reeze-eggs

So if one is being held back from buying eggs in quantity when coming across them on sale because they will go bad before being eaten, freezing is an option, and something I am going to begin doing.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Tangentially related to finding reasonably priced groceries, since several posters have mentioned growing their own food: buy an extra bag of fertilizer for your trees and gardens now, before the price and/or availability take it out of reach. :dollar :dollar :dollar
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I always plan before going to the grocery store, I figure out what the weeks meals will be and then make my grocery list based on that and only buy those things (plus whatever staples are low). I don't always buy the cheapest option, focusing on local meat/produce first, then price. Our waste is near zero. Because I cook the bulk of of our dinners on Sunday I hit the old produce/sell today meat etc early on Sunday morning and save a few $. I do not buy the most expensive meat, predominately burger, chuck roast, chicken thighs, and the occasional pork chop. I will vary my weekly menu to match what's on sale.

We spend very close to $100/week to feed two adults.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Maybe shop in the poorer parts of town?

Not sure what to say or add, really, but digital coupons from Kroger, Target, H‑E‑B, etc, can help reduce costs, provided they have what’s on sale in stock (I’ve just about given up on Albertsons, as their inventory control is abysmal).

Using Kroger’s app, I got today’s grocery purchase down from a headline price of $140 to $108, which should last the two of us a week or so. Every bit of savings helps.

And I use the apps religiously, price checking everything on my list to know which store has it for the cheapest. I appreciate how Target and Kroger put the prices for each item online. Albertsons’ app is atrocious…

I also am big fan of the bargain meat bin and the clearance rack, where occasionally relative deals can be found, but that is obviously very hit or miss and unreliable.

But I don’t know who the food manufacturers think that they are fooling, as I think that you’d have to be blind to not see the shrinkflation and outright price hikes that are going on. Ball Park “Everything” hamburger buns have definitely gotten smaller and the topping is now more like “nothing”. Screamin’ Sicilian frozen pizza is now $10.50! At that price, why not just buy a freshly made one? And so on.

Something will have to give: either manufacturer’s margins, retailer’s margins, consumption habits, other purchases, or something. I just don’t see how people can keep spending like they used to when seemingly everything has become more expensive but wages haven’t commensurately increased.
Most experiences are better imagined.
tunafish

Re: Finding reasonably priced grocerie

Post by tunafish »

Kenkat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:17 pm Must be somewhat regional; in Ohio:

Kroger - Gallon of Milk, $2.29; Large Eggs - Dozen, $2.29
Wal-Mart - Gallon of Milk, $1.88; Large Eggs - Dozen, $2.22

We also will shop at Aldi, Sam’s Club and GFS (Gordon Food Services) for certain items that we know are cheaper there. It definitely pays to shop around and use coupons; for example, we got a dozen eggs free at Kroger last week just by “clipping” a coupon in the Kroger app.
In my area of RI, eggs are $4 to $5. I rarely use Instacart any more, because they mark up like 30% from store prices. I use Stop & Shop's website to check prices before I shop. Their store brands are sometimes significantly cheaper.

But prices in general suck. I forget where I read this, probably the NY Times, but it isn't all supply chain. A lot of companies are just raising prices because they can get away with it. Some things I used to buy I just don't any more, but my grocery bill is still shocking.

Periodically Stop & Shop has a 3 for the price of 2 or 4 for the price of 2 for some 12 packs of soda I buy.

For pet supplies I buy from Chewy. Amazon is filled with ripoff artists selling pet food for 2 or 3 times what Chewy sells it for.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

We shop several places but the mainstay store for groceries is Aldi. Bag your own groceries and lack of name brands but the produce is great and overall bill is lower than elsewhere. We fill in with a few things from Target and Trader Joes, and of course every couple months or so we go to Costco for paper goods, cleaning supplies, etc.

Aldi is great for routine weekly groceries.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

MrBobcat wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:28 pm I always plan before going to the grocery store, I figure out what the weeks meals will be and then make my grocery list based on that and only buy those things (plus whatever staples are low). I don't always buy the cheapest option, focusing on local meat/produce first, then price. Our waste is near zero. Because I cook the bulk of of our dinners on Sunday I hit the old produce/sell today meat etc early on Sunday morning and save a few $. I do not buy the most expensive meat, predominately burger, chuck roast, chicken thighs, and the occasional pork chop. I will vary my weekly menu to match what's on sale.

People (and chefs on tv) always say this. I don't know where you live, but there is no meat produced where I live. Buying local sounds good as a catch phrase, but often it is not practical or efficient. If you live in the desert, do you want to buy local produce that used an excessive amount of water and soil modifications? Corn and soybean are mainly what is grown near where I live and the corn is very seasonal. If you are not in CA much of the produce is very seasonal unless grown in greenhouses.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

All one can do is comparison shop and go from there. The numbers are staggering...over 35 million chickens have been culled to prevent the spread of a virus that infects chickens. It hasn't even spread nationwide. It has now been found in VA, so prices will go up from there. To that, add fertilizer and food prices up due to war, drought in the American west and what's "reasonable" may change.

What the summer brings is unknown. In VA, last year was a great year for peanuts. The harvest for 2021 was over 30% from 2020. We will have to wait and see what this summer brings and its impact on all things peanuts. Of course, what's good for peanuts isn't necessarily good for other veggies, but for those of us hooked on them, it's an important staple not only for the peanut butter, but also for the bourbon, coke and peanut cocktail on the porch in the summer.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

heartwood wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:52 pm
muffins14 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:29 pm I find Trader Joe’s to be well priced
I would agree on their packaged goods (shelf/frozen). Fresh stuff is typically more expensive than pretty much any other option, IME.
Must be a location/regional thing. TJs is noticeably cheaper than all of our other supermarket style options. That's for packaged foods and fresh (some previously frozen), especially vegetables, dairy, meats and fish. We also find the quality to be much better for fish. Unfortunately their fish variety is limited. We do at least 75% of our food shopping at TJs.
I shop all over the place and find Trader Joe's is cheaper than Whole Foods or most of the other chain grocery stores if it isn't on sale there. I don't think Trader Joe's has sales. TJs is good if you have no interest in shopping around. I find the warehouse clubs, Aldi and sale items at other grocery stores (mainstream, non-bougie) are cheaper.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

stoptothink wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:47 pm Just got back from the grocery store :shock: Boneless chicken breasts were $4.09/lb. and there was a limit of 4, was $1.88/lb. a year ago and (I believe) $2.99 2 weeks ago. Eggs prices were stable from two weeks ago ($16.xx for 5 dozen). More and more limits on purchase of specific products and empty shelves. Our total grocery costs are up >20% so far since last year and doesn't seem to be much more we can do about it.
A pound of shrimp is cheaper than a pound of chicken thighs around here(except at Costco). Makes no sense!
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Picasso wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:31 pm I just go to Whole Foods and pay whatever the prices are. I’m busy and want good food.

Must be nice.
Light weight baby!
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Op, I added in this thread but essentially, the cheapest places to shop are costco and walmart. For produce asian/Indian markets also work well.
viewtopic.php?p=6693365#p6693365
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Pyramid44 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:50 pm Our local stores are hit and miss.

This week deli meats were 99 cents per ounce (think $1 per ounce or 16$ per pound). Some sale items, but usually not fan favorites.

I’m finding any whole meat (chicken, port, beef) anywhere from 10$ low to high 20 per pound.

Cans of soup average at 4$ per can.

Eggs are limited due to regional flocks decimated by avian flu. 5 to 6 dollars per dozen. Limit 2.

Milk is anywhere from 4 to 6 dollars a gallon (cow, nut, oat, no difference)

However there were a couple of sales of tomato products at 69 cents a can and local sausage maker having two products at 3 dollars per 1 pound pack limit 2 (bought the limit).

Dungeness Crab was available for 79.99 (Yes, on penny below 80 dollars) a pound. No crab cakes this seasons at our house.

Greens for salads vary. Not always seeing iceberg or Romain but instead more of the mixed greens for sale.

First fresh corn on the cob this year at 1 dollar per ear.

Breakfast is no longer a three egg omelet with a side of breakfast meat and toast. All three items are now pricey or limited.

Breakfast is now a potato “hash” (Cubed, shredded) with onions, peppers, seasonings, maybe some shredded cheese and a single egg served your way.

I’ve been making home made falafel as a protein for lunch or dinner. The other meal is usually a salad or soup. Most recipes are Mediterranean or middle eastern such as tabouleh.

We used to use milk in coffee but have simply switched to black.

The supermarkets are no longer hiding the empty spots on their shelves.

I plan meals based on what I have in my pantry and freezer. I refill based on what I can find on sale. Fresh veg and fruit is based on what is available on sale when I get to the store.

Even Costco isn’t always the cheapest place to buy something depending upon the spot sales at supermarkets. Depends on how far your gas dollars go in getting to a variety of stores.
Now THAT's hardcore penny pinching - lol. I'm seeing ridiculous increases myself, so also adjusting/subbing lots of things... but coffee and beer - well, that's where I draw a hard line lol. I splurge on my fave flavored creamer, plenty of milk for my cereal, plus my fave light beer - inflation or no inflation. I'll just buy less VTI. :D
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

centrifuge41 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:49 pm I can't find any links to professional studies at the moment, but I did my own in the past, using a basket of 30 items in Northern VA:
I took generics wherever possible (I have generally good experience with Aldi/Lidl generics, and a little worse experience with Walmart generics. YMMV).

Lidl sale: $97.80
Lidl: $100 (All prices indexed to Lidl non-sale. The actual Lidl basket cost $56.27)
Aldi: (I don't know, sorry. They are one of the few stores that don't post prices online, but pricing feels very similar to Lidl).
Walmart: $110.70
Food Lion: $115.60
Kroger sale: $112.20
Kroger: $119.90 (I took a Richmond area store to grab prices, since Kroger is what I was used to prior to Aldi/Lidl arriving in Richmond. I wish NoVA had Kroger!)
Harris Teeter sale: $138
Giant sale: $144.40
Giant: $145.50
Safeway sale: $147.90
Harris Teeter: $161.40
Safeway: $173.40

Nowadays, items have gone up, but the relative rankings remain similar. You can easily repeat this exercise from the comfort of your own home: almost all stores except Aldi share data online now.

E.g.: https://shop.harristeeter.com/, https://shop.foodlion.com/, Walmart.com (set store, choose In-store option), safeway.com, giantfood.com, lidl.com, kroger.com etc

Wow this is a great breakdown! Thank you!
I just recently saw a job posting with a hefty sign on bonus in Virginia. Can't talk the wife into a move though.
Life is very busy but I feel I could track better if I put some effort into it. Either way, will be tracking more closely. :sharebeer
Light weight baby!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

ray.james wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:03 pm
stoptothink wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:47 pm Just got back from the grocery store :shock: Boneless chicken breasts were $4.09/lb. and there was a limit of 4, was $1.88/lb. a year ago and (I believe) $2.99 2 weeks ago. Eggs prices were stable from two weeks ago ($16.xx for 5 dozen). More and more limits on purchase of specific products and empty shelves. Our total grocery costs are up >20% so far since last year and doesn't seem to be much more we can do about it.
A pound of shrimp is cheaper than a pound of chicken thighs around here(except at Costco). Makes no sense!
I bought skin on thighs at Costco for $3.29 this week and boneless skinless thighs at a local grocery store for $2.49/lb. We can't even get the smallest salad shrimp for those prices. I typically buy the shrimp at Sam's and it comes to around $6/lb for 20/30 count. I bought chicken drumsticks for 69 cents/lb last week.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:38 pm
MrBobcat wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:28 pm I always plan before going to the grocery store, I figure out what the weeks meals will be and then make my grocery list based on that and only buy those things (plus whatever staples are low). I don't always buy the cheapest option, focusing on local meat/produce first, then price. Our waste is near zero. Because I cook the bulk of of our dinners on Sunday I hit the old produce/sell today meat etc early on Sunday morning and save a few $. I do not buy the most expensive meat, predominately burger, chuck roast, chicken thighs, and the occasional pork chop. I will vary my weekly menu to match what's on sale.

People (and chefs on tv) always say this. I don't know where you live, but there is no meat produced where I live. Buying local sounds good as a catch phrase, but often it is not practical or efficient. If you live in the desert, do you want to buy local produce that used an excessive amount of water and soil modifications? Corn and soybean are mainly what is grown near where I live and the corn is very seasonal. If you are not in CA much of the produce is very seasonal unless grown in greenhouses.
Correct on the produce, it's very seasonal, but when it's available our local grocery store carries it. They always carry local eggs, beef, even chickens raised by the Hutterites (they bring a bunch of the produce in during season too). I probably spend 30-35% of our food budget on locally raised food (primarily meat and eggs). All I was trying to convey was I'm willing to pay more for local (though it's not always more costly) when I can, food budget be damned.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

I haven’t seen chicken breast for less than $3/lb in over 8 years. For me they’re still the same $4.59/lb they have been for probably 5 years. I do see increases in packaged foods though. Also, be aware that different states may have subsidized and/or price controls for milk and eggs.

I’m sure glad I have most of my summer/fall produce already covered by my CSA that I paid for in January.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

adestefan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:54 pm
I haven’t seen chicken breast for less than $3/lb in over 8 years. For me they’re still the same $4.59/lb they have been for probably 5 years. I do see increases in packaged foods though. Also, be aware that different states may have subsidized and/or price controls for milk and eggs.

I’m sure glad I have most of my summer/fall produce already covered by my CSA that I paid for in January.
We moved here 6.5yrs ago, the cost of chicken breast had never changed (as far as I can recall, except for random sales, from $1.88/lb) at our preferred grocer the entire time until late 2021.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

stoptothink wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:59 pm We moved here 6.5yrs ago, the cost of chicken breast had never changed (as far as I can recall, except for random sales, from $1.88/lb) at our preferred grocer the entire time until late 2021.
I think that’s an amazing example of the differences in cost of living across the country.

I know I live in a HCOL area, but I find it very desirable to be here for both myself and my family. Maybe there will be a point in the future where I move, but for the past 20 years I’ve loved it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

adestefan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:05 pm
stoptothink wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:59 pm We moved here 6.5yrs ago, the cost of chicken breast had never changed (as far as I can recall, except for random sales, from $1.88/lb) at our preferred grocer the entire time until late 2021.
I think that’s an amazing example of the differences in cost of living across the country.

I know I live in a HCOL area, but I find it very desirable to be here for both myself and my family. Maybe there will be a point in the future where I move, but for the past 20 years I’ve loved it.
We're hardly in a LCOL area (suburb of Salt Lake City, well above national median for COL). The cost of different foodstuffs varies significantly here. While chicken breast was $1.88/lb at our local grocer, it was regularly double (or more) at other places right down the street. Same trend with almost everything my family regularly eats.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

There are several Walmarts nearby. Much to my wife’s dismay, I do a bit of grocery shopping there. She prefers Publix…the high priced spread.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:42 pm
Must be a location/regional thing. TJs is noticeably cheaper than all of our other supermarket style options.
I shop all over the place and find Trader Joe's is cheaper than Whole Foods or most of the other chain grocery stores if it isn't on sale there. I don't think Trader Joe's has sales. TJs is good if you have no interest in shopping around. I find the warehouse clubs, Aldi and sale items at other grocery stores (mainstream, non-bougie) are cheaper.
I typically shop at Trader Joe's and Costco, but more recently Safeway because it is more convenient.

Safeway 30%+ more expensive on dairy, eggs, meat and produce. The center of the store seemed to be about the same. I bought coconut milk for $1.99/ can and it was $1.59 /can at Traders.

Trader Joe's is the way to go if you don't want to "stock up" on things and pay less than a typical grocer. Trader Joe's bread quality is terrible though. Costco really is the way to go if you have a reach in freezer and/or storage space.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

RobLyons wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:05 pm
Picasso wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:31 pm I just go to Whole Foods and pay whatever the prices are. I’m busy and want good food.

Must be nice.
Apologies - didn’t mean to offend, Rob, if you took it that way. We happen to be fully plant-based so that knocks out most of the expensive stuff like meats and cheese, but you’d be surprised at the amount of Kite Hill almond milk ricotta that a spouse can consume :shock:

Good luck out there.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:29 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:42 pm
Must be a location/regional thing. TJs is noticeably cheaper than all of our other supermarket style options.
I typically shop at Trader Joe's and Costco, but more recently Safeway because it is more convenient.

Safeway 30%+ more expensive on dairy, eggs, meat and produce. The center of the store seemed to be about the same. I bought coconut milk for $1.99/ can and it was $1.59 /can at Traders.

Trader Joe's is the way to go if you don't want to "stock up" on things and pay less than a typical grocer. Trader Joe's bread quality is terrible though. Costco really is the way to go if you have a reach in freezer and/or storage space.
Maybe it is my imagination, but as a long time Costco member it seems like the portions are not as large as they once were. Obviously they are still bigger than a typical store. It seems like instead of a gallon of whatever, now they will have two bottles/jars/etc. that don't total a gallon.

I find at our version of Safeway (different store, owned by the same company) the meat, poultry, seafood and many other things can be had cheaper than Costco/TJs/Aldi if you find it on sale. Example: I paid $3.29 at Costco for bone in thighs but they are on sale at a nearby store for $1.29. Usually you have to buy the family/value pack to get the best price, but they usually aren't any bigger than the Costco size. That's a big difference. Costco's are packaged nicely into small vacuum sealed bags and I just didn't want to go to another store for 1 thing. The meat sales at some of the chain stores are 50% or more off frequently. Sometimes they have things like ribs and pork tenderloin buy one get 2 free.

We have a freezer in the garage which helps.

Some things are just crazy in size. I use soy sauce a fair amount, but the gallon I bought at Sam's will probably last years. I learned my lesson too on those 25 lb bags of rice. They are fine if you have a sealable container, but if not it is easy to get bugs and have the whole thing ruined.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:44 am Use all your local resources.

Aldi, Walmart, Asian Markets, local chains (sale items only)

Prices are up everywhere . As someone who eats whole food, plant based it has been a joy to skip dairy, cheeses, meats, fish and heavily processed/packaged food. :arrow:
+1

Selective shopping for quality food at various stores from Walmart to Trader Joe's to Costco to Sprouts to Natural Grocers to Fry's, etc, etc, has meant only a small impact on food prices for us. Some chicken and fish.

But, household items like Charmin Toilet Paper have really zoomed up.

All this. . . for many known and unknown reasons and influences, intentional and unintential

Solution: shop carefully, simplify lifestyle and food choices (IE: real nutritious foods perhaps or not, over convenience foods, etc, ad infinitum nauseum itis), consolidate shopping and car travel (*gas prices are nuts for many known and unknown reasons as well).

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

I have to ask, is that 100 March dollars or 100 May dollars? :P It's a moving target.

Just kidding, laughing to keep from crying.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:32 pm I learned my lesson too on those 25 lb bags of rice. They are fine if you have a sealable container, but if not it is easy to get bugs and have the whole thing ruined.
Hear me out... OXO dry storage containers.

The big ones are more than worth it if you buy certain dry good staples in bulk.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Ivygirl wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 pm

I have to ask, is that 100 March dollars or 100 May dollars? :P It's a moving target.

I feel you. We keep a stock of protein shakes too. For those "the anxiety is messing up my body so I can't eat / forgot to eat" moments.

But you can bring joy back to your diet.

Peanut (or sunflower seed) butter banana smoothies are also good. Literally bananas and milk (along with bread) are on my "always on the list" weekly items. And a tub of yogurt lasts longer than you'd think. If it's plain yogurt, you can use it to make more yogurt!

Also, adding peanut butter to curries. I discovered it when I... um... "over-peppered" something a few years ago. You can use it to counter spices. Or it just changes the flavor that little bit to sweet-nutty otherwise. And... it's protein!

If you haven't already, check out the "not cream cheese" cream cheese = neufchatel cheese. It's better than cream cheese and less expensive, go figure. That plus toast plus salt/pepper plus tomato and/or avocado (or maybe even a fried egg) to top make for some tasty open faced sandwich good times. Also, you can add it to different soups to make them taste way better.

Egg noodles (protein!) with pesto. TJ's for pesto (trust me). Garbonzo beans (from salads to curries to homemade hummus).

Spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, onions, and carrots. But you already know that part.

Granola blend cereals plus berries and/or bananas. You can eat it with yogurt instead of milk, if you want. That's like a $10 breakfast bowl dining out in these parts three years ago.

French toast.

if you've ever made deviled eggs, you can make an egg and potato salad where you mix the yolk/mayo/spices creamed filler in as a dressing (plus pickle juice or relish). Try it.

Lots of straight up sandwiches in this household too. So much consumption of the previously dreaded bread lol. Still losing weight, anyway.

I'm hanging on to the cheese as long as I can... Cheese shortages make for a grumpy household.

$100/wk groceries + sundries target. Hit it last week. Tomorrow is next week, and I should be quite under since no sundries are needed.

One shake a day. Bring the joy back to another meal.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:14 pm
I bought skin on thighs at Costco for $3.29 this week and boneless skinless thighs at a local grocery store for $2.49/lb. We can't even get the smallest salad shrimp for those prices. I typically buy the shrimp at Sam's and it comes to around $6/lb for 20/30 count. I bought chicken drumsticks for 69 cents/lb last week.
Prices from Sunday at local Safeway

Cheapest breast meat per pound I could find 6.99/lb
Cheapest thigh meat I could find 7.99/LB ( I only found 2 brands and 6 packages in the store)

I can get shrimp at these rates at Costco

Shrimp meat per pound (30-50 count) 14.99/2 lbs
Salad shrimp per pound 10.99/ 2 lbs
Argentine shrimp 11.99/2 lbs
Jumbo uncooked white(on sale) 9.99/2 lbs

It could be stock was running very low and only some brands are available but that is my 2 observations from last week. Costco does have chicken at 4.99/lb and 4.49/lb.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

HomeStretch wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:24 am Watty’s post about using a credit card with 2-3% rebate on groceries is good.

Depending on your grocery spend, evaluate whether the AMEX Blue Card Preferred is worthwhile - $95 annual fee, 6% grocery rebate up to $6k/yr.

It’s probably worthwhile to try the AMEX BCP for a year as there is a public offer (see link, below) to have the 1st year’s annual fee waived and to receive a $350 statement credit if you spend $3k in the first 6 months. Also check DoctorOfCredit to see if there is a better bonus offer. If a family member has an AMEX card, they may be able to send you a referral and earn a bonus reward. The AMEX BCP has offers that you can activate that sometimes will save you more, such as 10% off a cable bill.

https://card.americanexpress.com/m/blue ... gIJ-vD_BwE
I have the AMEX Blue Card Preferred. Can't say that I regret getting it, but keep in mind that you won't get the rebate at stores like Walmart that sell much more than groceries. You have to figure out whether you will spend less by going to a grocery store and getting the rebate versus going someplace like Walmart.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Just a few tips. Sometimes certain items are a lot cheaper if you can find and buy them from the bulk food section of a store. (That's if you can find a store that has a bulk food section. Most have done away with them.) I'm talking about the area where food is kept in large bins that customers put in containers themselves. Various nuts, trail mix, banana chips etc can be much cheaper when picked up in this section.

Also, various dried beans that you have to soak before cooking are usually dirt cheap. I haven't actually tried this, but have been thinking about it.
AnthonyC487

Post by AnthonyC487 »

Aldi is the closest supermarket near me, followed by Meijer by a minute, and then Walmart.
I only go to Walmart if I absolutely have to, but I guess I'll go to Aldi first and then head to Meijer for whatever I couldn't find (or found cheaper). Try it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, I'll simply go to Meijer. :)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

ray.james wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:14 am Prices from Sunday at local Safeway

Cheapest thigh meat I could find 7.99/LB ( I only found 2 brands and 6 packages in the store)

It could be stock was running very low and only some brands are available but that is my 2 observations from last week. Costco does have chicken at 4.99/lb and 4.49/lb.
Curious where you live, because these prices seem extremely high. I am in the midwest, and the regular (non-sale) price for boneless skinless chicken breasts at our local Jewel (which is owned by Safeway) are $3.99/lb for standard, $4.99/lb for hand-trimmed. I can't see the Costco prices online, but they should be similar to Sam's club, and I bought boneless skinless breasts there for $2.78/lb this past Sunday. That same day, I got bone-in/skin-on thighs at our local discount grocer for $1.29/lb.
OpenMinded1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:45 am Just a few tips. Sometimes certain items are a lot cheaper if you can find and buy them from the bulk food section of a store. (That's if you can find a store that has a bulk food section. Most have done away with them.) I'm talking about the area where food is kept in large bins that customers put in containers themselves. Various nuts, trail mix, banana chips etc can be much cheaper when picked up in this section..
Ironically enough, the only store near me that still has a bulk section is Whole Foods. So there goes that idea. :oops:
chazas

Post by chazas »

Agree with others, you have to comparison shop and be flexible. In NoVa we have a wealth of choices and competition, luckily. My mwain grocery store when I need a full trip and don’t have time to drive around is Food Lion, which is much cheaper than the other chains, even though it’s commonly owned with Giant. I spend a few minutes on the app clipping electronic coupons before I go in.

My second go-tos are HMart and Lidl. HMart for veggies (well, some - some Western things like avocados and packaged romaine are at ripoff prices there) and Asian prepared foods and condiments. Lidl for just a run to see what’s good and inexpensive, and more “luxury” foods like charcuterie type meats and cheeses, though it’s gotten a lot more expensive recently.

I also go to Aldi and while I don’t like it I probably will more often since it’s stayed cheaper. Target I take a run through for groceries if I’m there otherwise. Harris Teeter (owned by Kroger) I take a run through if I’m there for prescriptions. But both have skyrocketed and I buy less there.

I have successfully avoided Walmart for groceries, but have been thinking about taking a look.

I look at the grocery store flyers and if there are any great loss leaders (like one store has $5.99 NY strips this week) I’ll go in just for that. For meats, I also just buy what’s on sale and work with it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

ray.james wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:14 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:14 pm
Prices from Sunday at local Safeway

I can get shrimp at these rates at Costco

Shrimp meat per pound (30-50 count) 14.99/2 lbs
Salad shrimp per pound 10.99/ 2 lbs
Argentine shrimp 11.99/2 lbs
Jumbo uncooked white(on sale) 9.99/2 lbs

Like I said above, you have to be flexible. I don't buy chicken on weeks when it is through the roof. When it is on sale, I buy it and if it is a really a good deal, I buy extra, vacuum pack and freeze. You also have to be flexible with where you shop. Some people only go to one or two stores (every, not weekly) so you can't expect to get the best prices if you do that.

Maybe being in a large city I am spoiled. The new weekly ad for our "Safeway" (owned by the same company) has boneless skinless chicken breasts for $3.99/lb. They also have a different type of boneless/skinless breasts BOGO. Looking online, I'm not sure what that comes to. I tend to not like those kinds of sales where the exact price is hard to determine without going to the store. Before the pandemic I would see them fairly regularly for $1.99/lb. I believe CA has the most Safeways and almost everything is more expensive there. Obviously if you want air chilled, free range, organic, etc. you are going to pay up.

I never buy shrimp at Costco as I can always find it less expensive elsewhere. I haven't looked into it, but most cheap shrimp is from Asia and maybe the Costco shrimp isn't.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

lazydavid wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:44 am
ray.james wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:14 am Prices from Sunday at local Safeway

Curious where you live, because these prices seem extremely high. I am in the midwest, and the regular (non-sale) price for boneless skinless chicken breasts at our local Jewel (which is owned by Safeway) are $3.99/lb for standard, $4.99/lb for hand-trimmed. I can't see the Costco prices online, but they should be similar to Sam's club, and I bought boneless skinless breasts there for $2.78/lb this past Sunday. That same day, I got bone-in/skin-on thighs at our local discount grocer for $1.29/lb.
Yes, I am surprised by the wide range of prices. Also in the midwest, I am seeing Boneless Chicken Breasts @ $3.79 and Thighs at $1.29.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Random Poster wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:03 pm Maybe shop in the poorer parts of town?
Just a funny reminder. Many years ago a company I used to work for was coming out with a premium CPG food product. I went on a sales call with one of the owners to A&P and the owner made a comment about how “this isn’t a Pathmark product-not for that type of clientele.” For those of you who aren’t familiar “The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company”, now out of business, used to operate 3 levels of stores — Pathmark - low end, A&P - mid tier, and Food Emporium - high end (among others depending on your market and the year). When we left the sales call I made a comment that I shopped at Pathmark. He said I should do something about that. I did and was gone within 6 months.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Beensabu wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:40 pm
Ivygirl wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:02 pm

I feel you. We keep a stock of protein shakes too. For those "the anxiety is messing up my body so I can't eat / forgot to eat" moments.

But you can bring joy back to your diet.

Peanut (or sunflower seed) butter banana smoothies are also good. Literally bananas and milk (along with bread) are on my "always on the list" weekly items. And a tub of yogurt lasts longer than you'd think. If it's plain yogurt, you can use it to make more yogurt!

Also, adding peanut butter to curries. I discovered it when I... um... "over-peppered" something a few years ago. You can use it to counter spices. Or it just changes the flavor that little bit to sweet-nutty otherwise. And... it's protein!

If you haven't already, check out the "not cream cheese" cream cheese = neufchatel cheese. It's better than cream cheese and less expensive, go figure. That plus toast plus salt/pepper plus tomato and/or avocado (or maybe even a fried egg) to top make for some tasty open faced sandwich good times. Also, you can add it to different soups to make them taste way better.

Egg noodles (protein!) with pesto. TJ's for pesto (trust me). Garbonzo beans (from salads to curries to homemade hummus).

Spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, onions, and carrots. But you already know that part.

Granola blend cereals plus berries and/or bananas. You can eat it with yogurt instead of milk, if you want. That's like a $10 breakfast bowl dining out in these parts three years ago.

French toast.

if you've ever made deviled eggs, you can make an egg and potato salad where you mix the yolk/mayo/spices creamed filler in as a dressing (plus pickle juice or relish). Try it.

Lots of straight up sandwiches in this household too. So much consumption of the previously dreaded bread lol. Still losing weight, anyway.

I'm hanging on to the cheese as long as I can... Cheese shortages make for a grumpy household.

$100/wk groceries + sundries target. Hit it last week. Tomorrow is next week, and I should be quite under since no sundries are needed.

One shake a day. Bring the joy back to another meal.
Beensabu, you sound like a great cook, creative in the kitchen, and food brings you a lot of joy.

Food brings me a lot of joy, too, but I don't need more joy right now. I need to hold down the grocery bill. Have you counted the sheer number of ingredients needed for the delicious feasts you have listed? I can't afford that and still maintain, in the present high-inflation, no-pay-raise-for-me environment, the progress I have made in securing my financial place in the world. I just had $1,700 of dental work done and my old car is about to konk out, I'm not thrilled about buying a new car right now.

Two protein shakes a day, then a meal with meat, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, cabbage, apples or oranges. That I can manage. I hope my faith that inflation will peak and begin to fall sharply this October-November is justified by the event.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Ivygirl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 am Beensabu, you sound like a great cook, creative in the kitchen, and food brings you a lot of joy.

Food brings me a lot of joy, too, but I don't need more joy right now. I need to hold down the grocery bill. Have you counted the sheer number of ingredients needed for the delicious feasts you have listed? I can't afford that and still maintain, in the present high-inflation, no-pay-raise-for-me environment, the progress I have made in securing my financial place in the world. I just had $1,700 of dental work done and my old car is about to konk out, I'm not thrilled about buying a new car right now.

Two protein shakes a day, then a meal with meat, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, cabbage, apples or oranges. That I can manage. I hope my faith that inflation will peak and begin to fall sharply this October-November is justified by the event.
I would just caution that there almost certainly won’t be deflation. Sure, some things will go down in price, but slowing inflation just means the rate of increase will lower. It won’t undo what’s already been done.

I highly recommend you check out things like the Shop Your Way Mastercard which routinely offers 10%-20% off on groceries as well as the Citi Custom Cash Mastercard which is 5% off on groceries (up to $500/mo) if that’s all you use it for.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:49 am
Ivygirl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 am Beensabu, you sound like a great cook, creative in the kitchen, and food brings you a lot of joy.

I would just caution that there almost certainly won’t be deflation. Sure, some things will go down in price, but slowing inflation just means the rate of increase will lower. It won’t undo what’s already been done.

I highly recommend you check out things like the Shop Your Way Mastercard which routinely offers 10%-20% off on groceries as well as the Citi Custom Cash Mastercard which is 5% off on groceries (up to $500/mo) if that’s all you use it for.
We'll see what happens in regard to inflation/deflation. My own intuitions have been pretty reliable so far. Reason is not much use in a situation like the present one, it is dominated by the spirits of the age. Maybe reason will return.

The kinds of credit cards you mention are not an option for me, I have a moral objection to them and regard the mindset behind them as part and parcel of our present predicament. Your mileage may vary of course.

A diet of protein shakes, meat, eggs, vegetables and fruit is a good diet. Practical, economical, nutritious, affordable. Many people in the world would like to eat so well. It won't kill me to eat plainly for awhile. It's wise and it's necessary.