Morningstar interactive chart (part of "growth of 10k") is gone?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
justbpatient

Morningstar interactive chart (part of "growth of 10k") is gone?

Post by justbpatient »

I've noticed very recently that the interactive portion of the "growth of 10k" chart seems to be missing for me; I'm on safari browser and haven't downloaded another browser to try, wondering if this is working for anybody else. The "growth of 10k" chart still shows up, but not the button to expand to the interactive portion where you can choose custom start/end dates. Anybody else notice this? Maybe a browser issue? Or maybe a change on their end.
centrifuge41

Re: Morningstar interactive chart (part of "growth of 10k") is gone?

Post by centrifuge41 »

I can't expand it on Firefox either. No more ability to use the interactive widget to change timeframes, or add/remove funds for comparison.
Financial Engineer

Post by Financial Engineer »

I noticed the same thing. I hope it comes back.
Historical US Stock Market Returns | 1929 Peak to 1982 Bottom ~ 4% Real | 1966 Peak to 1987 Bottom ~ 2.5% Real | 2000 Peak to COVID-19 Bottom ~ 3% Real | If Investing Long-Term, Stay The Course
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

It's back. There was a post yesterday on a morningstar community forms explaining they had done a code update, and would get it fixed in a day. I should add, it's back from me, but I am a paying subscriber. I don't know if it shows for the nonsubscribed website visitors.
Kudu

Post by Kudu »

Still missing today for (non-subscriber) me.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I have long noticed that it is not rare to see glitches on the Morningstar website on Sundays. So far they've always been OK by Monday.

I have a no-cost "basic" account.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The old charting stuff is available through a secret link. For example. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to edit the URL to view what you would like to view.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Not available if I visit as general visitor. Though if I sign into my free basic account, then feature is available.
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

I thought it was me doing something wrong. Whew!...well, sorta. Hope that feature comes back.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:09 pm The old charting stuff is available through a secret link. For example. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to edit the URL to view what you would like to view.
http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VTI

works, too, and you can just edit the ticker symbol.

Alas, that whole system is gradually experiencing software rot. For example, it doesn't seem possible to add ticker symbols to plot comparisons any more. The dropdown is blank. Neither your link nor mine is working properly right this very instant, so I can't confirm that it's true of yours.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

nisiprius wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:10 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:09 pm The old charting stuff is available through a secret link. For example. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to edit the URL to view what you would like to view.
http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VTI

works, too, and you can just edit the ticker symbol.

Alas, that whole system is gradually experiencing software rot. For example, it doesn't seem possible to add ticker symbols to plot comparisons any more. The dropdown is blank. Neither your link nor mine is working properly right this very instant, so I can't confirm that it's true of yours.
And the "new" chart web page (even when working) don't let you make shareable links :annoyed
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
asif408

Post by asif408 »

I'm only able to see them if I login with my free account. Maybe they now require you join to see the interactive charts?
student

Morningstar performance tool

Post by student »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

For the longest time, I use its custom chart to compare performance for difference ETFs for selected periods. For example, if I want to compare DIA and ITOT. I will go to one of them, say ITOT, click on the performance tab. https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/itot/performance Then on the page, there is a button to go to the custom chart. I no longer see it. Did they take the option away or am I missing something?

Edit: I see that someone posted a solution. Thanks.
Last edited by student on Thu May 26, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged student's thread into a similar discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jacotus

Post by Jacotus »

As reported by others, I had to make a free basic account in order to access the interactive chart.
AQ

Post by AQ »

Too bad that this feature appears to be taken off. This is probably the only reason I go to morningstar site. Other sites have similar features but not as good
AQ

Post by AQ »

I signed up a free account, to get the interactive chart. It worked for a few days. But now it appears they have taken off the chart from free accounts as well?
Global100

Post by Global100 »

There is currently still free access to the Growth of 10,000 interactive chart: Go to the Morningstar website. Type a fund name into their search and go that that fund's page. Click on the tab for "Chart" which directs to the interactive chart. Add other funds to compare. Adjust the slider below the chart to choose a specific date range.

Morningstar has ads from other business on their webpages, so that's potential for them to generate some money even if visitors don't sign up for memberships.
benway

Post by benway »

Last edited by benway on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mdargusch

Post by Mdargusch »

It's there but it moved. Go to the "Chart" tab at the top of the page between the "Quote" tab and "Fund Analysis" tab.
amk0408

Post by amk0408 »

I recall there used to be an option to export the underlying values on the 10K growth chart to Excel. Is that feature only available for premium members now?
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

benway wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:30 pm Unfortunately it looks like they removed the ability to select specific dates unless you use the slider bar, which is very imprecise and frustrating from a user perspective. I really liked having the ability to select specific dates to see how a fund or ETF performed during a specific period such as during the Feb/Mar 2020 drop.
If you zoom in enough on your browser window view, the dates selection fields will magically appear above the chart.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Eagle33 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:56 pm
benway wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:30 pm Unfortunately it looks like they removed the ability to select specific dates unless you use the slider bar, which is very imprecise and frustrating from a user perspective. I really liked having the ability to select specific dates to see how a fund or ETF performed during a specific period such as during the Feb/Mar 2020 drop.
If you zoom in enough on your browser window view, the dates selection fields will magically appear above the chart.
What do you mean by this? I changed zoom from 33% to 200% on a PC and no date selection fields appeared.

(I do know that it used to depend on the size of the window or screen, because on my phone it would not show the date entry fields but on the PC it would. But now it is completely gone as far as I can tell.)
Global100

Post by Global100 »

jeffyscott wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:23 am
What do you mean by this? I changed zoom from 33% to 200% on a PC and no date selection fields appeared.

(I do know that it used to depend on the size of the window or screen, because on my phone it would not show the date entry fields but on the PC it would. But now it is completely gone as far as I can tell.)
Don't think that reply meant changing PC settings.

Try this: Go to Morningstar's graph for your fund/stock, click your mouse once anywhere inside the Morningstar graph box, and then scroll the mouse wheel which will have the graph zoom in or out. The numbered dates eventually appear on the bottom of the graph for about a two month period when zooming in. Could also do this with the slider bars at the bottom of the graph.

I don't see specific date entry fields any more.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Global100 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm

Don't think the reply meant changing PC settings.

Try this: Go to Morningstar's graph for your fund/stock, click your mouse once anywhere inside the Morningstar graph box, and then scroll the mouse wheel which will have the graph zoom in or out. When zooming in, the numbered dates eventually appear on the bottom of the graph for about a two month period. Could also do this with the slider bars at the bottom of the graph.

I don't have specific date selection fields (maybe now that is limited to those with paid subscriptions).
Thanks, as you note that doesn't let let you manually enter dates that you want to chart between.

Benway had said "...dates selection fields will magically appear above the chart" and that doesn't happen and I am on a paid premium.

Ah, I just discovered that if I click "launch investor" and then go to a fund, it is like the old site where the chart on the "performance" tab has a "show interactive chart" button and that chart has date entry fields like the regular site used to (provided the window is wide enough).

So, yes, it appears date selection fields are now restricted to paid accounts.
akam

Post by akam »

I found a workaround to get back the date boxes without even logging into an account. Click and drag the side of your browser window to resize (larger or smaller) and the date fields magically reappear and disappear. There is a sweet spot where the dates appear. This seems to be a design error and should be fixable on their end.

Image: https://i.imgur.com/hkRSxhL.png
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Using Firefox browser has a zoom feature under the View menu bar. It works on my Mac. But it was only displaying start & end date selection fields at one level of zoom - 170% for me, but the magnification does seem to be window size dependent. I use the keyboard shortcut keys to increment magnification up and down until I see the date fields.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

mystupidglasses wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:53 pm I found a workaround to get back the date boxes without even logging into an account. Click and drag the side of your browser window to resize (larger or smaller) and the date fields magically reappear and disappear. There is a sweet spot where the dates appear. This seems to be a design error and should be fixable on their end.

Image: https://i.imgur.com/hkRSxhL.png
Yes, I am able to recreate the same changes. And I also noticed what is causing the date entry fields to disappear after having appeared, it happens when a column for ads appears.

With a narrow window there are no date entry fields and no ads on the right side. As you widen the window, at some point it gets wide enough that they allow the date entry fields to show up. Then, as you keep going wider, a column of ads appears on the right. When the column of ads appears, this narrows the space for the chart and so the date fields disappear again. But once that column of ads appears, the date fields never seem to come back, no matter how wide you go or what the zoom level is, instead the webpage eventually just adds useless white space on the left and right.

Maybe it's a temporary glitch, but at least for now, to get the date entry fields you have to either make the window wider or narrower, depending on whether or not you see the column of ads on the right. If you see the column of ads, make the window narrow until this just disappears. OTOH, if there is not a column of ads and there are no date fields, then make the window wider but no so wide that the ads appear.
Alpha4

Post by Alpha4 »

Is it just me or does the Morningstar chart feature not let you export data as a CSV any more?

The chart feature used to let you export data (either daily, weekly, or monthly) as CSV's.

The button that let you do that is no longer on the chart.

See the screenshot in this post below:

There used to be a button near the "Drawing" and Display" buttons that let you export the data as a CSV. That appears to be gone now.

Anyone else having this issue?

Also, BTW, the "old" Morningstar charts feature (including the one-- http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VTI --linked in this thread a few posts above) seems to have finally given up the ghost; whenever I click on that link it just gives a message that says "The report is no longer supported".

For what it's worth I have a free Morningstar membership (albeit not the paid one) but I am getting the same issue with the new chart (unable to output as CSV) and the old charts (won't work at all) whether I am logged in with my Morningstar free membership or not.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Alpha4 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:27 pm There used to be a button near the "Drawing" and Display" buttons that let you export the data as a CSV. That appears to be gone now.
I never used it, but it does appear to be gone from the new "chart" tab of the free site.

The paid investor site still has it among the icons at the top right of interactive charts, the box with arrow says "export" when I hover over it.

Alpha4

Post by Alpha4 »

jeffyscott wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:40 pm
Alpha4 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:27 pm There used to be a button near the "Drawing" and Display" buttons that let you export the data as a CSV. That appears to be gone now.
I never used it, but it does appear to be gone from the new "chart" tab of the free site.

The paid investor site still has it among the icons at the top right of interactive charts, the box with arrow says "export" when I hover over it.

Hmmm...with either the free membership or when logged out; the box with the arrow (the backwards facing one; there is no box with the arrow facing diagonally out one corner) on it just says "reset" when you hover over it (i.e. it is a button to rest the chart back to original settings)....there is no option to export anything.
Last edited by Alpha4 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanksmoney

Post by Hanksmoney »

Why would they get rid of the most useful thing on the site? The chart is trash now. Obviously everyone clamors for it.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Alpha4 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:46 pm
jeffyscott wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:40 pm

Hmmm...with either the free membership or when logged out; the box with the arrow (the backwards facing one; there is no box with the arrow facing diagonally out one corner) on it just says "reset" when you hover over it (i.e. it is a button to rest the chart back to original settings)....there is no option to export anything.
Right, this icon: Image
is "export" and it is on the paid site only now, it seems. I do not see it on the free site, either.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Even with the window resizing trick to get the dates to show, has anybody else noticed 10K Growth showing different values from before? For example, the old version Mar 1, 2012 10k VT growth to Nov 1, 2021 used to display $28,082.51 whereas the new VT chart set to Daily displays $22,364.54. That's quite a difference between the two.

I found some other site that allows charting 10k growth based on month end, and it shows Feb 29, 2012 10k growth to Oct 29, 2021 as $27,963.52, which is much closer to what the old chart's value, so the difference here is probably more from the slightly different start/end dates.

Do I need to select some other display or options with the new chart?

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like the new 10K Growth chart doesn't include dividends. If I select "Dividend Effect" Display, for the original time period, it shows +123.65% growth and +178.72% "w Div." which would be equivalent to 10K Growth $27,872. So still not quite the same but close enough.

Edit 2: If I shift the start date 1 day earlier to Feb 29, 2012 (while keeping the original end date), I get the numbers to match the old chart: +180.83% i.e., 10K Growth to $28,083.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Looks like the website was updated to not need the window resizing trick to see the configurable start/end dates. The other parts of the interface changed too, so now it seems like one should open up "Data Type" and toggle "NAV Growth" and set the "Initial Value" to 10000.

However as from my previous post, the old interface used to show VT growth from Mar 1, 2012 to Nov 1, 2021 as $28,082.51; and for the new chart to show that, I still need to set the start date as 1 day earlier for Feb 29, 2012. For reference, "Growth With Dividend" doesn't get the same numbers as before:

Code: Select all

Growth:               22,580.17 | +12,580.17 | +125.80%
Growth With Dividend: 28,135.69 | +18,135.69 | +181.36%
NAV Growth:           28,082.51 | +18,082.51 | +180.83%
captmccrae

Post by captmccrae »

I can't find the 10K option in any of the dropdowns in Morningstar. Where/what do I need to click?

Growth of 10K used to be an option a few months ago (even in the re-vamped version).

Thanks
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

captmccrae wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:45 pm I can't find the 10K option in any of the dropdowns in Morningstar. Where/what do I need to click?

Growth of 10K used to be an option a few months ago (even in the re-vamped version).

Thanks
I posted this screen grab recently: viewtopic.php?p=6833910#p6833910
Does it help?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
captmccrae

Post by captmccrae »

Yes, thanks!