one time credit card number or similar

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
heartwood

one time credit card number or similar

Post by heartwood »

I've googled BH and on the web in general and, no luck.

I'm looking for a single use virtual credit card for a subscription that automatically renews at a much higher rate. I'd rather avoid the additional task of cancelling or calling in 6 months time. This happens frequently, but the present instance is a 6 month teaser for a digital newspaper for $1, that then renews at $14.99/month.

Any suggestions?

Any experiences with privacy.com?
Normchad

Re: one time credit card number or similar

Post by Normchad »

heartwood wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:19 pm I've googled BH and on the web in general and, no luck.

I'm looking for a single use virtual credit card for a subscription that automatically renews at a much higher rate. I'd rather avoid the additional task of cancelling or calling in 6 months time. This happens frequently, but the present instance is a 6 month teaser for a digital newspaper for $1, that then renews at $14.99/month.

Any suggestions?

Visa prepaid gift card?
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

heartwood wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:19 pmI'm looking for a single use virtual credit card for a subscription that automatically renews at a much higher rate.
Citi offers that service at no charge to many/most of its credit card customers. Called a VAN (virtual account number) linked directly to your physical card number. You set the expiration month/year and maximum $$$ amount allowed.

Is this the type of thing you are seeking?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
dual

Post by dual »

That used to be available with several credit cards but most have dropped the service. As the other poster mentioned, one poor alternative is to use a gift card. Unfortunately, many websites will not accept them for online payments.

Another name for these is virtual card numbers so you might do a search on those.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

What happens if you like the newspaper? Then you have an additional task of calling to give them a new credit card number. Nothing is risk free in finances.

If you do end up using privacy.com please come back to update this post with your experience. It looks interesting.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

BolderBoy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:34 pm
heartwood wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:19 pmI'm looking for a single use virtual credit card for a subscription that automatically renews at a much higher rate.
Citi offers that service at no charge to many/most of its credit card customers. Called a VAN (virtual account number) linked directly to your physical card number. You set the expiration month/year and maximum $$$ amount allowed.

Is this the type of thing you are seeking?
Yes, that's what I think I'm looking for, but the only Citi card I have is the Costco Visa which appears not to support the feature.

I've tried my other CC companies (USBANK, AMEX, Fidelity, BOA) and haven't found a VAN.

I see that Capital One appears to have one, but I no longer have an account there.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

mega317 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:38 pm What happens if you like the newspaper? Then you have an additional task of calling to give them a new credit card number. Nothing is risk free in finances.

If you do end up using privacy.com please come back to update this post with your experience. It looks interesting.
I do know the paper. I was a print subscriber years ago for decades. My only interest now is with occasional town news.

$14.99 for digital access for this paper seems steep to me. I have the NYT digital for $10/4 weeks, and the WSJ print and digital for something like $190/year. I have print/digital at our condo location for $10/month as well.

I'll let you know if I go for privacy.com. Recent app reviews are poor (older are good.) One major complaint is you have to give your bank account info and phone number. It seems it doesn't link to a card, only to your checking account.

Guess I probably don't want the local digital paper after all.

Post by 123 »

heartwood wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:19 pm ... I'd rather avoid the additional task of cancelling or calling in 6 months time...
I frequently take advantage of these types of offers for digital newspapers. The terms and conditions generally provide for no refunds or adjustments and that the term of the service extends for the period you have paid for. As a result you can usually cancel on-line soon after the subscription begins and the subscription will still run for the initial period (6 months for example). I usually wait a day or two so that the new subscription has gotten established (I have canceled too quickly and have had the subscription reversed and the initial payment refunded).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

Privacy.com does this but you have to link to bank account
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

The only card I have that still offers virtual numbers is Citi Double Cash card. But the last time I set up a virtual number a couple months ago and tried to use it shortly thereafter online for a subscription, Citi’s fraud algorithm flagged it so I had to call in. Citi’s fraud group said there is a lot of fraud with virtual numbers. But this happened the next month when I tried to do my normal monthly redemption of my cash rewards. So while Citi offers virtual numbers, their fraud algorithms are overly onerous and it can take time to call in and get the card unlocked to then use the virtual number or redeem rewards.
mkc

Post by mkc »

HomeStretch wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm The only card I have that still offers virtual numbers is Citi Double Cash card. But the last time I set up a virtual number a couple months ago and tried to use it shortly thereafter online for a subscription, Citi’s fraud algorithm flagged it so I had to call in. Citi’s fraud group said there is a lot of fraud with virtual numbers. But this happened the next month when I tried to do my normal monthly redemption of my cash rewards. So while Citi offers virtual numbers, their fraud algorithms are overly onerous and it can take time to call in and get the card unlocked to then use the virtual number or redeem rewards.
We have tried Citi's newer VANs a couple of times and each time it put a fraud alert on our account.

CapOne's still work for us; they just don't let you set a limit (but they are easy to lock).
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

heartwood wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:19 pmAny suggestions?

I use privacy.com. It works well. You link to a bank account via ACH or a debit card (I would recommend the latter, since it doesn't require giving your bank credentials to Plaid for the linking) and can generate a number of virtual cards that draw money from the linked source. The cards "lock" to the merchant when first charged, and you can set limits or close cards at any time. Never had a problem with them. It's perfect for things like subscriptions or purchases from dubious merchants. One interesting aspect is that the cards accept any billing address, so you don't have to give out your real address for things that don't require physical shipping if you don't want to.
VictorStarr

Post by VictorStarr »

Eno Deb wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:54 pm
heartwood wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:19 pmAny suggestions?

I use privacy.com. It works well. You link to a bank account via ACH or a debit card (I would recommend the latter, since it doesn't require giving your bank credentials to Plaid for the linking) and can generate a number of virtual cards that draw money from the linked source. The cards "lock" to the merchant when first charged, and you can set limits or close cards at any time. Never had a problem with them. It's perfect for things like subscriptions or purchases from dubious merchants. One interesting aspect is that the cards accept any billing address, so you don't have to give out your real address for things that don't require physical shipping if you don't want to.
I also had a good experience with privacy.com and use a debit card for payments.
Revolut (https://www.revolut.com/en-US) allows to create virtual credit cards. The crucial difference from privacy, you can use virtual card with multiple merchants. For subscriptions, privacy.com is a better match.
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

See if they offer an annual rate that's cheap enough to tempt you. Or maybe you know a college student who could sign up for you? I'm actually considering adding the NY Times for an annual rate, just since we have so much time to read these days.....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I tried to sign up for privacy.com and had a difficult time of it, first trying to link an account, then bailing on that and trying to use a debit card instead. Finally almost got that to work, completed test deposit/withdrawal, and then was told "To finish, you need to apply for a charge card with our bank partner, Patriot Bank N.A."

:oops: no way I'm applying for a charge card, even though they say "will not affect your credit score"

I've given up. One time CC numbers sound like a great idea, but the details make it useless to me with my existing cards.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I've been using Cap One virtual cards for years. EVERY website I purchase from has a separate virtual number. After using, I either immediately close it (ready to be opened again when needed) or I delete it if it is of a site I don't expect to purchase from again. I have over 100 virtual numbers and it takes a few seconds to open/close or setup a new one.

You can also giving a future close date as well.
Eno Deb

Post by Eno Deb »

heartwood wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:21 pm I tried to sign up for privacy.com and had a difficult time of it, first trying to link an account, then bailing on that and trying to use a debit card instead. Finally almost got that to work, completed test deposit/withdrawal, and then was told "To finish, you need to apply for a charge card with our bank partner, Patriot Bank N.A."

:oops: no way I'm applying for a charge card, even though they say "will not affect your credit score"

I've given up. One time CC numbers sound like a great idea, but the details make it useless to me with my existing cards.
I think there is a misunderstanding. The virtual cards that you can create are technically charge cards that are issued by Privacy's partner bank. I don't remember the exact wording, but essentially you just agree to their terms and conditions. It does not mean that you are actually getting a physical charge card. And it really doesn't appear in your credit file, not even a "soft pull".
VictorStarr

Post by VictorStarr »

Eno Deb wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:37 pm
heartwood wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:21 pm I tried to sign up for privacy.com and had a difficult time of it, first trying to link an account, then bailing on that and trying to use a debit card instead. Finally almost got that to work, completed test deposit/withdrawal, and then was told "To finish, you need to apply for a charge card with our bank partner, Patriot Bank N.A."

I think there is a misunderstanding. The virtual cards that you can create are technically charge cards that are issued by Privacy's partner bank. I don't remember the exact wording, but essentially you just agree to their terms and conditions. It does not mean that you are actually getting a physical charge card. And it really doesn't appear in your credit file, not even a "soft pull".

It is what Eno Deb said. After your debit card is verified you are ready to go. There are no extra charge card, credit score, etc involved.
The charge would go directly to your debit card. Privacy.com provides value added service on the top of your debit card - allocation of virtual debit card numbers, lifetime and visibility of those numbers, limits on charges.
ee_guy

Post by ee_guy »

I use the Citibank Dividend card which has virtual credit card feature. I can set the expiration date on virtual number. The card also gives 5% back on rotating merchants. For Q1 it was amazon. For q2, it is grocery store.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Before you subscribe, take a quick look at AppleNews +. A single $9.99 a month provides you subscriptions to multiple digital papers, including my local paper who wanted $14.99 month directly.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

DoubleComma wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Before you subscribe, take a quick look at AppleNews +. A single $9.99 a month provides you subscriptions to multiple digital papers, including my local paper who wanted $14.99 month directly.
This! I started a similar thread on News +. Turns out it's pretty cool. If you read Atlantic, Nat Geo, etc. it can save you a bunch of money over the normal print subscription.
lukestuckenhymer

Post by lukestuckenhymer »

Citi (Double Cash) has virtual account numbers that are linked to your main CC# and I find the system extremely easy to use. I use it frequently for transactions where I give my card number to a human to enter manually. You can restrict the daily transaction amount and after the transaction is complete, just deactivate it, then you're done. After getting my card # stolen so many times, this feature is a godsend.