Accessible minivan - where to buy used?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nyclon

Accessible minivan - where to buy used?

Post by nyclon »

Is there a place like carvana or Carmax to buy an accessible minivan? Any recommendations on where to buy used?

Edit: the vehicle would need to accommodate an electric wheelchair via ramp (or lift?)

Thanks
Last edited by nyclon on Fri May 20, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailaway

Re: Accessible minivan - where to buy used?

Post by sailaway »

It will make a difference depending on what kind of accessibility you require. Lifts might be removed before sale, hand controls might be intentionally passed to someone who needs the same modification, etc.
Topic Author
nyclon

Post by nyclon »

sailaway wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:49 pm It will make a difference depending on what kind of accessibility you require. Lifts might be removed before sale, hand controls might be intentionally passed to someone who needs the same modification, etc.
Thanks - just updated the post. It’s an electric wheelchair that would need to roll on and off
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Join any organization near you. For example, in the Midwest there is:
https://ilunitedspinal.org/

I know someone who registered for that and they get regular emails of people who're selling their old equipment, including vans. If that applies for your situation then hopefully that helps. But other disability organizations, especially those geared towards mobility disabilities, may also have similar used sales from members or the community.
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

I drive by an accessible vehicle store almost every day, I don't know much about the product but they appear to be in many states across the US:

check the used listings here:

https://www.braunability.com
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Craigslist is worth checking. There's an app that will ping you if your keywords come up for sale.
SeaDog

Post by SeaDog »

Disabled Dealer.com

Access Unlimited

Mobility Works

The two major players that do van conversions are Braun and VMI.

I recommend having a used van at least inspected by an authorized dealer for the company that did the conversion.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

SeaDog wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:34 am .....
I recommend having a used van at least inspected by an authorized dealer for the company that did the conversion.
This is critical, lift and van, especially if the van was used frequently.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

There are also lots of places that will modify the van and add the ramp. All you have to do is supply them with a van that you purchased.
SeaDog

Post by SeaDog »

Most of the mom & pop shops that would do vehicle modifications that involve lowering floors, wheelchair ramps or lifts and tie down systems have been bought by several national adaption companies, gone out of business or they just install seat belts and scooter lifts. Because of litigation, vehicle modifications have to be crash tested using several different impact tests. Braunability and VMI do that each time they have to adapt the new version of vehicle. For example, Toyota changed the Sienna mini van from Front Wheel Drive to an all wheel drive hybrid. The adaptions -lowered floor, in van ramp/ in floor ramp, safety restraints etc. all had to be re-engineered and crash tested. A very expensive engineering process. If buying a used vehicle with a ramp or lift I would stick with one converted by Braun or VMI at their factory. Each conversion is documented and repairs can be done by an authorized local Braun or VMI trained technician. Otherwise you will be spending money trying to figure out how the van was modified and which wire goes where and why.