ex-US Stocks Continue to Soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Bogle1984

Re: ex-US Stocks Continue to Soar!

Post by Bogle1984 »

freyj6 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:02 am https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?VTI,%20Vxus

Are we looking at the same market? US still dramatically outperforming over most time periods.
Thats right. US market cap rose from about 20% in 1990 to about 60% to date. But I don't expect the US to reach > 80% of the global market cap. Doesn't make sense to me. However, I don't know and by owning global stocks at their market cap I don't have to care.

freyj6

Post by freyj6 »

Bogle1984 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:35 am
freyj6 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:02 am https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?VTI,%20Vxus

Are we looking at the same market? US still dramatically outperforming over most time periods.
Thats right. US market cap rose from about 20% in 1990 to about 60% to date. But I don't expect the US to reach > 80% of the global market cap. Doesn't make sense to me. However, I don't know and by owning global stocks at their market cap I don't have to care.

I’ll add that I’ve been 40-45% international for most of my investing career. I still believe in international diversification. I just wish I decided on that now rather than before the 10 year monster run in US.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

freyj6 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:24 pm

I’ll add that I’ve been 40-45% international for most of my investing career. I still believe in international diversification. I just wish I decided on that now rather than before the 10 year monster run in US.
Do you have similar regrets to not being 100% on TSLA when it peaked and sold out?

The point of diversification is precisely that you DON'T know what the future would hold. A VT investor over the last decade has still made double digit returns. How is that not enough?

Speculating on individual stocks or countries means sometimes you win out, sometimes you don't. An investor in US only equities had a very painful prior 10-12 years leading up to 2012.
20% VOO | 20% VXUS | 20% AVUV | 20% AVDV | 20% AVES
freyj6

Post by freyj6 »

Nathan Drake wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:15 pm
freyj6 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:24 pm

Do you have similar regrets to not being 100% on TSLA when it peaked and sold out?

The point of diversification is precisely that you DON'T know what the future would hold. A VT investor over the last decade has still made double digit returns. How is that not enough?

Speculating on individual stocks or countries means sometimes you win out, sometimes you don't. An investor in US only equities had a very painful prior 10-12 years leading up to 2012.
I was half joking.

I’ve certainly had luck go both ways. For example, after I first learned about factors I had a big position in MTUM. It wasn’t until about 5 years later in late 2020 that I really understood that the outperformance was really just from the mega cap growth tilt. I sold my position after that; the timeline was obviously really lucky.

As cliche as it is, the biggest wins have been from having actual money on the line in the market and learning from experience. I’m grateful for the lessons I’ve learned and grateful that I didn’t need to make any portfolio-destroying errors along the way :)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Another day where ex US is beating US.

Now if this could just go in for the next 10 years or so…..
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Tamalak wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:14 pm VXUS +4.33% today. Just eye popping!
Remember that VXUS is not dollar hedged, unlike Vanguard's international bond index fund. When the dollar weakens, the share price rises.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

exodusNH wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:08 pm
Remember that VXUS is not dollar hedged, unlike Vanguard's international bond index fund. When the dollar weakens, the share price rises.
RIght. I almost view my ex-US holdings as a hedge against a weakening dollar. The US market really took off versus ex-US when the dollar began to strengthen in 2013
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

atdharris wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:27 pm
RIght. I almost view my ex-US holdings as a hedge against a weakening dollar. The US market really took off versus ex-US when the dollar began to strengthen in 2013
It's part of the reason I invest in international as well. I'm too dumb to make currency plays directly!
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

atdharris wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:27 pm
This is how I think of it too! Ex-us isn't "added currency volatility", it's a hedge against a weakening of what we're paid in elsewhere in our lives..
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Stinky wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:57 pm Another day where ex US is beating US.

Now if this could just go in for the next 10 years or so…..
Boom! Long May this continue for my taxable account and retirement dreams 😂
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold »

If international continues to outperform along with small cap value, then I may be able to retire early like I'm hoping.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

Another soaring day
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

gtwhitegold wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:46 pm If international continues to outperform along with small cap value, then I may be able to retire early like I'm hoping.
for your sake and my own, I hope for that same outperformance ;) :sharebeer
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold »

muffins14 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:21 am
gtwhitegold wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:46 pm If international continues to outperform along with small cap value, then I may be able to retire early like I'm hoping.
for your sake and my own, I hope for that same outperformance ;) :sharebeer
Yeah. I'm moving part of my I Fund to DEMSX tomorrow once it clears. After that I'll be much closer to my desired EM allocation. Hopefully next year I can start working on my Developed International SCV allocation.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Nathan Drake wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:19 am Another soaring day
Hahaha. Yesss best news today. I don’t even have to open my brokerage account following this thread. But I will ;)
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
case_of_ennui

Post by case_of_ennui »

My head is in the clouds today and so are international stocks!
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

The weather: cloudy, with a chance of this thread getting locked.
Frank2012

Post by Frank2012 »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 am The weather: cloudy, with a chance of this thread getting locked.
I honestly don't get the point of this thread anymore, and will likely stop peeking at it. Nothing actionable, just jokes it seems....
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

This thread will be frozen just like ex-us returns for the last 10 years
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

VXUS has a dividend yield of nearly 4% now

Wow
asif408

Post by asif408 »

Tamalak wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:41 am This thread will be frozen just like ex-us returns for the last 10 years
Now, now, now, it hasn't been that bad for the last 10 years, they did beat bonds: https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion3_3=100

But the last 15? Sure: https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... ion3_3=100
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Nathan Drake wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 am VXUS has a dividend yield of nearly 4% now

Wow
I see my dividends in my accounts for international funds and am surprised how much they are. Neat!
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

Frank2012 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:23 am
Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 am The weather: cloudy, with a chance of this thread getting locked.
I honestly don't get the point of this thread anymore, and will likely stop peeking at it. Nothing actionable, just jokes it seems....
Yup.
Bogleheads® emphasize regular saving, broad diversification, and sticking to one's investment plan regardless of market conditions.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Locked for moderator review
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread will remain locked. From the site owner's post: Subject: U.S. stocks in free fall
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:02 pm Thread is locked for at least 24 hours while I clean up several posts related to Fed policy and to forestall further such posts.

A reminder from the forum policies:

Investing - Theory, News & General

If it's investment related and it doesn't fall into the above category it goes here.
General economic discussions do not fall under the category of "investment related". Nor do they fall under the allowed topics in any of our other forums. You will have to find another site or outlet if you wish to take part in such discussions.

Just in case the previous was unclear, we specifically addressed this issue in the following policy:
Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
One day later...

Sorry folks, but this thread - along with "U.S. stocks continue to soar!" - are staying locked. It's not practical to sort out all of the OT posts and in general the threads have simply become too much of a burden on our volunteer moderators.

This happens occasionally which is why we have the following forum policy:

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.

Topics are locked to give everyone a chance to cool down. Thus if a topic is locked, please do not start up another thread to continue the discussion, at least right away. Such follow-on threads may be deleted without warning.

Please note the second part of this policy. Thanks.

(blue is a calming color, right?)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.