Richmond, VA Area Local Chapter

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Silver Bullet

Re: Richmond, VA Area Local Chapter

Post by Silver Bullet »

Tonight is definitely off, sorry.
No reason people still can't gather, but someone else will have to coordinate this evening.
Sounds like 6/25 doesn't work for many people - so we'll look at a couple of other dates as well - to assure a good first showing.
Thanks all!
curryitr

Post by curryitr »

Have we determined a new date that works for everyone yet? If the 25th doesn’t work for many of us can we shoot for an alternative?
nomas

Post by nomas »

Silver Bullet wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm Tonight is definitely off, sorry.
No reason people still can't gather, but someone else will have to coordinate this evening.
Sounds like 6/25 doesn't work for many people - so we'll look at a couple of other dates as well - to assure a good first showing.
Thanks all!
Its looking less likely that I will be able to attend a 6/25 meeting. Its good to see that other dates are being considered.
buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle »

I am still interested in attending. Will keep an eye out for dates/locations.
curryitr

Post by curryitr »

The 25th is one week from today. What about July 2nd which is 2 weeks from today?
mdshumaker

Post by mdshumaker »

Right now July 2nd works for us.
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

possibly works for me - work on Tuesdays so if not too late or far....
buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle »

Are we a go for Tuesday, June 25th?

Thanks!
jervalaw

Post by jervalaw »

interested in Boglehead local chapter in Richmond, VA

jervalaw
TurtleTurtle14

Post by TurtleTurtle14 »

Hey RVA Bogleheads,

Since we haven't had anything official get planned for the near future - wanted to throw out a personal finance event that definitely overlaps with a lot of Boglehead principles. The Byrd Theatre is hosting a screening of the FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early) documentary entitled Playing with Fire on Friday July 19 from 6-9. The hosts of the popular ChooseFI podcast will both be there along with some of the filmmakers.

Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the link below:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/financial- ... 3538175393

I couldn't talk my wife into giving up a Friday night for a personal finance documentary (surprise surprise haha - her exact words - "You want to pay for a babysitter for that?") so I'm planning to go alone and would be happy to meet some local Bogleheads there if anyone else is going.
dave.d

Post by dave.d »

I live in Raintree, back on the board after a long absence. Annoyed if I missed a meeting -- looks like not? -- but count me in for next time. And I have emails for some other people who might be interested.

--Dave
Value-based allocation.
TurtleTurtle14

Post by TurtleTurtle14 »

TurtleTurtle14 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:48 am Hey RVA Bogleheads,

Since we haven't had anything official get planned for the near future - wanted to throw out a personal finance event that definitely overlaps with a lot of Boglehead principles. The Byrd Theatre is hosting a screening of the FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early) documentary entitled Playing with Fire on Friday July 19 from 6-9. The hosts of the popular ChooseFI podcast will both be there along with some of the filmmakers.

Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the link below:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/financial- ... 3538175393

I couldn't talk my wife into giving up a Friday night for a personal finance documentary (surprise surprise haha - her exact words - "You want to pay for a babysitter for that?") so I'm planning to go alone and would be happy to meet some local Bogleheads there if anyone else is going.
Just a bump for this Friday. I'm bringing a co-worker with me but if you're interested in going - get your tickets fast - only 21 tickets left
buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle »

Are there any new proposed dates/times for a meeting? I have not heard anything in a few weeks. Wanted to make sure I have not missed anything.

Thanks!
curryitr

Post by curryitr »

Same here. Can we try to get something on schedule for the next week or 2? Perhaps August 1st?
strengthcoach

Post by strengthcoach »

I was thinking about checking out the FIRE doc the other week but realized it was going to cut into my weekend and figured it will eventually be online somewhere sometime... I may try to pop in a RVA event if I ever can (may need to try and follow this forum more!) though I am young in the investing game
"To have misfortune and prevail is good fortune" - Marcus Aurelius
bigbadbuff

Post by bigbadbuff »

nm wrong thread
Last edited by bigbadbuff on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TurtleTurtle14

Post by TurtleTurtle14 »

Any other VCU Health employees on here? I'm planning to go talk to HR/investment committee about the possibility of a mega backdoor roth which they do not currently allow. Would love to be able to bring that info from several employees and not just me. Anyone interested just let me know via private message or by replying on this thread
strengthcoach

Post by strengthcoach »

I work on Monroe Park campus... still in early accumulation phase without a President Rao type salary :dollar :dollar :dollar :moneybag :moneybag )so I don't maximize the retirement plan as much as I could/would/should
TurtleTurtle14

Post by TurtleTurtle14 »

strengthcoach wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:57 pm I work on Monroe Park campus... still in early accumulation phase without a President Rao type salary :dollar :dollar :dollar :moneybag :moneybag )so I don't maximize the retirement plan as much as I could/would/should
haha yes I am far far from Rao as well and like you in the early accumulation phase. I think there are different retirement set-ups for the academic side and the medical side but good to know you are out there so if I ever transition to academic side I'd have someone to go to HR with me because from what I'm looking at they don't allow mega backdoor roth on academic side as well. Of course with how fast VCU does anything this may be a moot point.

Do you know any VCUHealth Bogleheads?
strengthcoach

Post by strengthcoach »

I am guessing there could be since VCU is a big employer in the area. I am not sure about nuances in retirement plans but believe VCU Health employees get free tuition for their kids while monroe park or however they officially split campuses does not. The 457+403b is pretty solid though, especially with options available. I wish my money tree would sprout already so I could max them all out and try to get by on what's left.

Mega backdoor roth is out of my league; I am just trying to get to enough :mrgreen:
buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle »

We had some traction in the summer to get an event scheduled but sounds as if some conflicts got in the way. Now that fall is upon us, is there a chance to put some new dates out for an event?
Googliebear

Post by Googliebear »

I to would like to get involved with fellow Bogleheads but have become somewhat frustrated waiting for local chapters to hold meetings or events.

I would love some guidance on where to find more information on the Richmond chapter to participate and even present topics if desired.

But until then, if anyone would like to meet (chat over dinner) in the Richmond or Hampton Roads area just to discuss Boglehead topics associated with investing, finance, retirement planning, etc.; please feel free to private message me and possibly we can get the local chapter more active.
Last edited by Googliebear on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle »

I am still in Chesterfield and willing to attend local a BH meeting in the RVA area if something gets pulled together.
uconn97

Post by uconn97 »

Greetings! I'm in Chesterfield, off Hull Street Road. Just wanted to reach out. I feel alone in the wilderness sometimes out here with this investing strategy. Just nice to see some friendly faces from Richmond. Hull St corridor is packed with Edward Jones and shady financial sales people. I keep the course and have made a lot of money and kept it...thanks to this forum! For that I'm forever grateful.
Googliebear

Post by Googliebear »

uconn97 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:11 pm Greetings! I'm in Chesterfield, off Hull Street Road. Just wanted to reach out. I feel alone in the wilderness sometimes out here with this investing strategy. Just nice to see some friendly faces from Richmond. Hull St corridor is packed with Edward Jones and shady financial sales people. I keep the course and have made a lot of money and kept it...thanks to this forum! For that I'm forever grateful.
:sharebeer
strengthcoach

Post by strengthcoach »

I highly recommend Dick Proenneke Alone In The Wilderness DVD if you've never seen it before. Great watch for nights you're struggling to fall asleep or any night if you love the great outdoors and/or the simple Life.

You may want to check out Choose FI for local meet ups. I would say they are basically millennial bogleheads that I would imagine are more likely to coordinate events as I think it is part of their business model and they are from RVA. Personally, I grew out of their podcast rather quickly, though...
uconn97

Post by uconn97 »

Thanks for the welcome! I'll check out ChoseFI...I was just on an area Mom's Facebook group and someone was asking for recommendations for a FA..and WOW, did the EJ guy show up in force. I was shocked by the amount of people who use EJ.

One person said they had fabulous returns from one EJ guy and I ask, so what is your expense rate/ratio/fee? Crickets...till a couple days later, she posts she pays a flat management fee and the EJ rep is SUPER nice and easy to work with! I responsed, "well that fee is probably 1.3%...and did the math on a $1M investment."
For over $10K a year in fees on $1M she should be really nice to work with, plus the EJ rep has a degree in Broadcast Journalism, which I can see being really helpful in managing your investments....but at least someone ask EJ what the fee was, so I feel like a broke through the damn just a little bit.
thous

Post by thous »

greetings from Henrico
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Greetings! Is this chapter still active?

Gail Cox
buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle »

There was an effort to establish a gathering last summer but it never panned out. I think there is interest in the RVA area.

I am located in Chesterfield.

Mike
Googliebear

Post by Googliebear »

I'm interested too
Last edited by Googliebear on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Best of luck getting this chapter up and going again!

Gail Cox
HuddleRVA

Post by HuddleRVA »

I'm interested! I've had a forum login, but haven't been out here in years.
mdshumaker

Post by mdshumaker »

I'm interested too.
eternallygrateful

Post by eternallygrateful »

I am interested - Thanks.
RichmondDad

Post by RichmondDad »

Hello I’m new on the forum but interested
On the road

Post by On the road »

I’m interested too.
Googliebear

Post by Googliebear »

I'm interested too
jmartin3rd

Post by jmartin3rd »

Is this chapter still active?
eternallygrateful

There are sporadic responses. Do we have enough interest to have a get together?
buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle »

Still here, but have not seen any traction on a get together.
eternallygrateful

buxton.bogle wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:49 pm Still here, but have not seen any traction on a get together.
Any interest in getting together?
MDM804

Post by MDM804 »

I am a recent member and in the Richmond, VA area as well.
SSM1

Post by SSM1 »

I'm closer to Charlottesville but would go to Richmond, prefer mid-day meeting. Is anything in the works?
egri

Post by egri »

I'm in Norfolk, and it looks like this is the closest chapter to me. Depending on my schedule, if there is a get-together I'd be interested.
Steele

Post by Steele »

Williamsburg, here. Very interested in meeting up. Anyone else going to the conference in October?
newcollegeman

Post by newcollegeman »

DW & I are going in October to the Conference. Will be her first. We are near Roanoke.
millenial_boglehead

Post by millenial_boglehead »

I see there has been some interest in people in or near Richmond getting together, but it looks like that hasn't really come together. Has there been any progress? Are people still interested in getting together? I've recently returned to Richmond after living out-of-state for about a decade, and it would be great to connect with others in the area also interested in investing and personal finance, particularly the Boglehead approach. Cheers!
SSM1

Post by SSM1 »

I am interested...will anything be planned??
{NB. Live closer to C'ville tho.}
alanlnixon

Post by alanlnixon »

Interested. From Cville area. Are there any local gatherings. I wasnt avalible for 2023 c0nf.