Vanguard Trade Bonds page not working?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Rainmaker41

Vanguard Trade Bonds page not working?

Post by Rainmaker41 »

Hello all.

I am trying to buy some Treasury Bills in a Vanguard taxable brokerage account to set up a simple T-Bill ladder to eke out a bit more interest on our cash allocation.

When I navigate "My Account" >>> "Buy & sell" >>> "Check rates and buy bonds" >>> (select account and click continue) I get a blank page with the the menu bar still at the top of Vanguard's page but nothing below it.

This issue replicates on Safari, Chrome, and iPad app (distinct from the 'new Beacon app') across a MacBook, iPad, and iPhone. The rest of Vanguard's functionality for other things seems fine.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?
85% Global Stock, 15% US Fixed Income
summit

Re: Vanguard Trade Bonds page not working?

Post by summit »

I'm trying to buy stock and not working for me either. This might be my tipping point. Schwab here I come.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

I just put in an order for a 2 year T-note purchase at auction which worked correctly. I wait for the day after the auction announcement as the last time I tried to put in an order the day of the announcement it wouldn't take it.
cas

Post by cas »

Worked just fine for me a little bit ago (noon-ish). And I gave it a workout, looking in detail at auction treasuries, secondary treasuries, CDs, then making a purchase. Chrome/Windows
mega317

Post by mega317 »

This happened to me several times the past week or 2. Just go do something else for a little while and come back to it. I'm assuming it has something to do with high traffic caused by all the threads about T bills on bogleheads.org/forum.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Rainmaker41 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:07 am Hello all.

I am trying to buy some Treasury Bills in a Vanguard taxable brokerage account to set up a simple T-Bill ladder to eke out a bit more interest on our cash allocation.

When I navigate "My Account" >>> "Buy & sell" >>> "Check rates and buy bonds" >>> (select account and click continue) I get a blank page with the the menu bar still at the top of Vanguard's page but nothing below it.

This issue replicates on Safari, Chrome, and iPad app (distinct from the 'new Beacon app') across a MacBook, iPad, and iPhone. The rest of Vanguard's functionality for other things seems fine.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

yes, I just did…on VG I got the blank page….this has happened before when I use Safari.
I just tried both Schwab and Fidelity bond page; both worked just fine.
67Bosox

Post by 67Bosox »

This happened to me this week every time I went to that page. BUT, just wait a minute, and it comes up. Seems there is a time delay. Just stick with it and if it works for you, can you report back?
Good luck
ruud

Post by ruud »

Try disabling “Prevent Cross-Site Tracking” in your Safari settings.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

^^

neither waiting nor disabling site cross tracking worked.

I don’t think VG plays well with Safari.
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

Try disabling “Prevent Cross-Site Tracking” in your Safari settings
Thank you, this worked for me on my Mac! No need to switch for Firefox anymore for this functionality.
Topic Author
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

Thanks for your perspectives. It worked when I tried again later.

6 month T-bill ladder now set up for end June through November maturities. Not to say that is exciting with current inflation rate, but it beats out Ally Bank savings plus counts as USG interest for state tax exclusion for cash we'd hold anyway.
85% Global Stock, 15% US Fixed Income
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Rainmaker41 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:07 am When I navigate "My Account" >>> "Buy & sell" >>> "Check rates and buy bonds" >>> (select account and click continue) I get a blank page with the the menu bar still at the top of Vanguard's page but nothing below it.
Worked fine for me just now. I do see a white screen for a second or two before the securities appear. Using Firefox on Windows.

Tip: it's a bit easier to select the "Buy and sell" link directly from the account, then select Trade bonds or CDs from the drop-down menu. This will take you directly to the Buy bonds and CDs screen without having to select the account.
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.