How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
VictoriaF

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by VictoriaF »

I mailed the 2020 paper return on April 6, 2021, as a certified mail and the USPS tracking showed that it has been received. As of now, my IRS account does not show any 2020 transcripts.

Last week I mailed the 2021 paper return, and the USPS tracking now shows that it has been received. For both 2020 and 2021, I get a refund. For 2020, my refund is small and I can wait. For 2021, my refund is large because I am getting the Recovery Rebate Credit for the Economic Impact Payment Number 3. The longer the IRS delays the refund, the longer they'd have to pay me interest.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Chillpingu

Post by Chillpingu »

I filed at the extended deadline and am still waiting. The IRS refund status site says that the refund is still being processed. Hopefully the additional budget they received will speed this up.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

I had to bite the bullet and order my transcripts by mail. IRS is still requiring ID.me to access online. Hopefully they make it by snail mail.

It's been about 9 months since I e-filed. I'm concerned with filing for 2021 without knowing return status of 2020, I"ll probably do an extension if I do not recv the transcipts within the next couple weeks. We shall see.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

catchinup wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:48 pm For people who have still not received their refund, if you log into the IRS website, can you see your transcript? My transcript is there, which implies they did process my return. So not sure why still no refund?
It's been 5 and a half months and no transcript. I wonder if it is because of Californians which have slammed the Ogden processing center. The Fresno center was closed in September 2021. I properly mailed my return to Ogden since it was submitted in early October. For those waiting 6+ months, could you share which center you mailed your return to? (Note that this will also disclose what quadrant of the country you live in.)
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

The IRS opened its door at the Ogden processing center to the Washington Post for this article. While they aren't hiring anyone with a pulse, it is pretty close (one needed six months of full time work, one year of post-secondary education, or a combination of the two). Based on the schedule, the new employees won't start work until July so the backlog will continue to be whittled down by who they have.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... og-hiring/
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

I finally received my 2020 refund check yesterday. Return was filed in early September. It was supposed to be direct deposited, but I got a check in the mail with a little bit of interest. Not sure why I got a check vs direct deposit.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Recvd our refund yesterday as well by check, not DD. I supposed once it goes into the following yr the IRS only issues checks? IDK. e-Filed in early July, so 9 months.
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Exactly 1 year.

Submitted and accepted electronically April 6, 2021.
"Processed" April 26, 2021 (according to transcript).
Received check in the mail April 6, 2022.

No errors, no extra tax owed, no stimulus payment issues, submitted electronically, so no idea what took so long.
On the plus side, the check included quite a bit of interest. Much more than any savings account or CD available over the last year :D
corn18

Post by corn18 »

I filed my 2021 taxes yesterday via e-file (Turbo Tax online). I owed them $34k. I filed @ 1032 EST. They took it out of my bank account the same day. Seems that part of the system is very efficient.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
stlrick

Post by stlrick »

For 2021 return, electronically signed Form 8879 on March 28. CPA filed returns. Refunds in my checking account on April 4 from the state and April 5 from IRS.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

CyberBob wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:13 pm Exactly 1 year.

No errors, no extra tax owed, no stimulus payment issues, submitted electronically, so no idea what took so long.
On the plus side, the check included quite a bit of interest. Much more than any savings account or CD available over the last year :D
When was the IRS check dated? The check delay was after processing, so could have been IRS or US Post Office issue.
Did they pay you the 3% interest for the entire year?
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

VanGar+Goyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:30 pm

When was the IRS check dated? The check delay was after processing, so could have been IRS or US Post Office issue.
Check dated April 1.
3% interest from the processed date to April 1.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

CyberBob wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:56 pm
VanGar+Goyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:30 pm

Check dated April 1.
3% interest from the processed date to April 1.
I assume April 1, 2022, and 3% interest for 340 days from April 26, 2021.
Otherwise it could be an April's Fool joke, or the IRS Minority Report in action :)
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:47 pm I mailed the 2020 paper return on April 6, 2021, as a certified mail and the USPS tracking showed that it has been received. As of now, my IRS account does not show any 2020 transcripts.
Victoria
I mailed my 2020 paper return in mid October, 2021, and nothing showed up on the IRS website until April 10, when it shows they
received my return October 2021 ( but unopened?? ), refund approved in April 2022, and I should expect my refund by mid May.
The good news is that I get 360 days of interest at 3%. I will lower my overpayments for 4Q in January, file sooner, or use e-file.
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

Filed on paper, Oct 15, still waiting... That's now over 7 months, sigh...
25% VTI | 25% VXUS | 12.5% AVUV | 10% AVDV | 2.5% VWO | 25% BND/SCHR/SCHP
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

ivgrivchuck wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:23 pm Filed on paper, Oct 15, still waiting... That's now over 7 months, sigh...
Right there with you. Filed 9/13/21. Still waiting...
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

Tachyon wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:50 pm
ivgrivchuck wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:23 pm Filed on paper, Oct 15, still waiting... That's now over 7 months, sigh...
Right there with you. Filed 9/13/21. Still waiting...
+2. Unfortunately I picked 2020 to bunch DAF contributions, so IRS is sitting on a substantial refund :(
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Efiled on approx. 4/15/21 with acceptance a day or two later. Expecting a refund with I Bonds. According to IRS website, I forgot to include an estimated payment (which should increase the refund). The IRS at one time would find that and include it in the refund. Guess that is no longer true.
Still waiting. I'll be surprised if any I Bonds show up.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Be aware that you'll receive a 1099-INT from the Treasury Department reflecting the interest they paid you. Unfortunately these Federal 1099's usually don't arrive in a timely fashion, either.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

My return was postmarked October 15, 2021 and according to my transcript, the IRS received it on October 20, 2021 and the refund was issued June 8, 2022 (it actually posted a few days earlier) along with interest. However, the "processing date" is June 20, 2022, which doesn't make sense as it is a future date. I actually missed reporting some of my estimated tax payments, as I use the Excel 1040 spreadsheet. I updated my income and deductions but failed to update the payments, so a refund was direct deposited into my account and it appears some I Bonds will also be issued, although I don't know when that will be received.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

The IRS claimed in a press release today that all tax returns received in 2021 will have been processed by the end of this week. So anyone who filed by October 15, 2021 should have received their refunds by now.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-contin ... -this-week

Due to issues related to the pandemic and staffing limitations, the IRS began 2022 with a larger than usual inventory of paper tax returns and correspondence filed during 2021. The IRS took a number of steps to address this, and the agency is on track to complete processing of originally filed Form 1040 (individual tax returns without errors) received in 2021 this week.

Business paper returns filed in 2021 will follow shortly after. The IRS continues to work on the few remaining 2021 individual tax returns that have processing issues or require additional information from the taxpayer.

As of June 10, the IRS had processed more than 4.5 million of the more than 4.7 million individual paper tax returns received in 2021.

To update my thread, the I Bonds were received about a week after the direct deposit of the non-I Bond amount. They were dated June 2022 and will go back to the Treasury so it can be reflected in my TD account.
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

calwatch wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:30 pm The IRS claimed in a press release today that all tax returns received in 2021 will have been processed by the end of this week. So anyone who filed by October 15, 2021 should have received their refunds by now.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-contin ... -this-week
I filed my return Oct 15 and they started processing my return (finally!) last week.

So this sounds believable...
25% VTI | 25% VXUS | 12.5% AVUV | 10% AVDV | 2.5% VWO | 25% BND/SCHR/SCHP
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Grr, in that case, I think they lost my return. I have the certified mail with return receipt. Anyone know how to go about resubmitting?
cnrohio59

Post by cnrohio59 »

e-filed 15 October 2021; refund received in account on 4 April 2022.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

Tachyon wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:36 pm Grr, in that case, I think they lost my return. I have the certified mail with return receipt. Anyone know how to go about resubmitting?
I might wait another month or two. Does your transcript show receipt?
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

calwatch wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:56 pm
Tachyon wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:36 pm Grr, in that case, I think they lost my return. I have the certified mail with return receipt. Anyone know how to go about resubmitting?
I might wait another month or two. Does your transcript show receipt?
No, transcript does not show receipt at all. If it did, I'd be more like "ah they got it".
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

If you still get crickets by the end of the month I might try calling them (or, more likely, your congressman) for advice. My return was sent to Ogden and wasn't marked as received until just before the refund was issued. I had been checking about weekly for a status.
gips

Post by gips »

before I submitted my 2021 return, where's my refund status was "apologies for the delay..." Once I submitted my 2021 return, it no longer could find my 2020 return. Now that the irs has updated their website to include selecting a year. where's my refund still can't find my return.

however, my transcript for 2020 is showing processed jun 6. Hopefully this means I'll be receiving a refund this week.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

After several days of trying to talk to someone at IRS trying multiple times a day, finally got through. They found my return but for some reason the system marked me as "deceased". Up to another 30 days to reprocess. Hopefully it finally goes through. Better than a lost return and resubmitting I suppose.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Perhaps you should check your status with Social Security. If they also have you as "deceased", every financial institution will flag the account. (It's intended for fraud protection.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm ^^^ Perhaps you should check your status with Social Security. If they also have you as "deceased", every financial institution will flag the account. (It's intended for fraud protection.)
I agree with Ladygeek. This happened to one of my parents when the other one passed away (wrong parent marked deceased by accident when trying to inform them and get the small death benefit). It took some work to undo it, including an in person appearance at the social security office ("wave at the nice man behind the window and show him you're alive!" and then nice man found the appropriate paperwork to get things fixed, etc). Also required stopping at a couple of banks after the SS office got things straightened around.
gips

Post by gips »

Tachyon wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:51 pm After several days of trying to talk to someone at IRS trying multiple times a day, finally got through. They found my return but for some reason the system marked me as "deceased".
could be wrong here but I wouldn't be at all surprised, given all the data the IRS collects, if they generate predictive analytics around mortality and jumped the gun on your status. Maybe stay a way from busy intersections for the next couple of days :)
gips

Post by gips »

gips wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:30 pm before I submitted my 2021 return, where's my refund status was "apologies for the delay..." Once I submitted my 2021 return, it no longer could find my 2020 return. Now that the irs has updated their website to include selecting a year. where's my refund still can't find my return.

however, my transcript for 2020 is showing processed jun 6. Hopefully this means I'll be receiving a refund this week.
no refund in today's mail, called the irs, had the privilege of being placed on hold after the 12th try, estimated wait time was 30-60 minutes, took closer to 90 minutes. The IRS representative checked and said the refund had not been "systematically released". I asked why and what that meant, she said it means "it has not been systematically released" and she didn't know why. So I asked why it wasn't showing up on the "where's my refund?" page and she said "I can't answer that question".

She offered to manually release payment and asked if that was ok. I pondered that for 10 seconds, thinking it was some sort of trick question, finally decided the right answer was yes. So she put me on hold again, said she requested a manual release, and I should have payment in 4-6 weeks(!).

she asked if I had any other questions. Decided not to pursue the nuance between "releasing payment" and "requesting a release of payment", hesitated a second because I had about twenty other questions but figured I was holding up some other poor soul and let her go. reading this over, it might seem she wasn't that smart but quite the opposite, she was intelligent, well-spoken but hamstrung by the IRS byzantine processes and lack of data transparency.

best,
gips

Post by gips »

omigod, my refund finally showed up in the "where's my refund" site, due to be mailed this week!
susa

Post by susa »

For tax year 2020, have a refund confirmed on IRS CP21B one year ago.

No refund sent by IRS. Transcript for 2020 also shows the same refund due.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

gips wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:00 am omigod, my refund finally showed up in the "where's my refund" site, due to be mailed this week!
Congrats on the news
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
gips

Post by gips »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:33 pm
gips wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:00 am omigod, my refund finally showed up in the "where's my refund" site, due to be mailed this week!
Congrats on the news
thanks, refund check arrived today!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

2020 amended return filed electronically and received Aug. 27, 2021. Status constantly showed as being received on that date but "Not processed, sorry for the delay.".

Without it ever showing up as being processed, the refund showed up in my bank account about a week or so ago, with about eleven months' interest.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi