Google: Losing access to apps using less secure sign-in technology

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jagger

Google: Losing access to apps using less secure sign-in technology

Post by Jagger »

Hi all. I use Microsoft Office 2013 and access my Gmail on my laptop PC using Outlook. Beginning in March 2022, I've received several emails from Google that say:

On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology.
To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0.
What do you need to do?
Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.

I think what I need to do is to upgrade (for lots of $) to Outlook 2019 or newer to avoid email problems.
Question: Have you received this email from Google and, if so, what are you doing about it?
Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions...
jebmke

Re: Google: Losing access to apps using less secure sign-in technology

Post by jebmke »

Jagger wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:00 pm I think what I need to do is to upgrade (for lots of $) to Outlook 2019 or newer to avoid email problems.
Question: Have you received this email from Google and, if so, what are you doing about it?
Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions...
Thunderbird is free. open sourced and current. I have used it for many years. It works fine with Google (GMail and Outlook dot com)

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I wonder if you could, alternatively, switch the way you sign on to Office so that you're not using Google sign-in? That is, you just have a separate username and password for your Office account?
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

JupiterJones wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:06 pm I wonder if you could, alternatively, switch the way you sign on to Office so that you're not using Google sign-in? That is, you just have a separate username and password for your Office account?
OP's issue is accessing Gmail via Outlook (a Microsoft product), not signing on to Office with Google credentials.
bencahill

Post by bencahill »

Hi there,

New to the forum, but I work in IT and work with Google products often.

There is an option for you to continue using Outlook 2013 after May. After the "less-secure app" shutdown, your email client will need to connect in one of the following two ways:

1. OAuth 2.0 (this is what would be supported by newer versions of Outlook, or Thunderbird, as mentioned)
2. App password

If you enable 2-Step Verification on your account (which means you will have to have your phone with you when you sign in on a new PC), then you can set up an "App password" which will continue working for Outlook 2013 after May.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Hope that helps.
BoomerM3

Post by BoomerM3 »

There are a number of articles on the web related to this issue. I have the same configuration as you and the same issues as you. Here are some of the articles I have found. I HAVE NOT TIED THESE YET.

The most clear and concise solution is this one (which I plan to use):
https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/multi ... look-2013/

Some others are:
Enable Modern Authentication for Office ... devices –
Modern Authentication configuration req ... osoft Docs
Less secure apps & your Google Account ... count Help
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

You could also use https://mail.google.com web interface, and there's an option to take your mail offline here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1306849?hl=en

You don't need a dedicated mail client, and without one there's less attack surface and increased computer security.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

BoomerM3, the links you posted appear to be page titles rather than the page URLs themselves.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Why use an app to access your gmail account? Why not cut out the middleman altogether and just access it through your browser of choice?
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

lthenderson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:08 pm Why use an app to access your gmail account? Why not cut out the middleman altogether and just access it through your browser of choice?
I use thunderbird because I want my email on my laptop under my control.

I struggled with the gmail upgrades May 30th problem, moving to a newer WIndows version, a chaotic move to a newer thunderbird with horrible interface changes and mucking around setting POP stuff, and finally gave up and told everyone my new email which is my ISP provided one, and I set gmail to forward to that to catch the people I missed.

I may try to get gmail working with a newer thunderbird at some point, but no one should hold their breath.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

TimeRunner wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm You could also use https://mail.google.com web interface, and there's an option to take your mail offline here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1306849?hl=en

You don't need a dedicated mail client, and without one there's less attack surface and increased computer security.
I am confused by this. Email offline seems to mean using it when not connected to the Internet and then stuff happens when one reconnects, yes? It has nothing to do with my desire to have my actual email on my pc vs. out in google's hands somewhere?
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

tunafish wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:37 pmI use thunderbird because I want my email on my laptop under my control.
You can still do that (depending on your definition of control) and take Gmail offline, see: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1306849?hl=en

I mentioned this upthread. I promise not to mention it anymore. :wink:
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

TimeRunner wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm there's an option to take your mail offline here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1306849?hl=en
Doesn't that give you offline access to only your last 30 days of email, at most?
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

CFM300 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:22 pm
TimeRunner wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm there's an option to take your mail offline here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1306849?hl=en
Doesn't that give you offline access to only your last 30 days of email, at most?
30 days is default, other settings are 7 or 90 days. It's not intended to keep everything offline - it's for people who may have intermittent internet service. It is not the same as an Outlook or Thunderbird full-blown client, true!
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

lthenderson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:08 pm Why use an app to access your gmail account? Why not cut out the middleman altogether and just access it through your browser of choice?
Because the web interface to gmail sucks?

(Let me BEGIN with the way I can't change the window size or position when writing an email...)
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I administer an iMac from 2006 using Apple's Mail app to access Gmail, and also an iMac from 2011 with a slightly newer version of Apple Mail. Within the past week, I have turned on 2-factor authentication and established app passwords for a total of 8 family Gmail accounts. Works fine, but I had trouble finding the needed clarity when they first started sending out these notifications.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

adamthesmythe wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:02 pm

(Let me BEGIN with the way I can't change the window size or position when writing an email...)
Shift-click the popout icon in the upper right of the compose window to make it movable/resizable.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Most of the time I prefer Thunderbird, in part because I have multiple addresses from multiple providers; some are personal and some relate to my volunteer work. One feature I like with the web interface for GMail is scheduling sends. I can draft emails late in the day and then schedule the send for the morning of the next day (or even farther ahead).
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

tuningfork wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:00 am
adamthesmythe wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:02 pm

Shift-click the popout icon in the upper right of the compose window to make it movable/resizable.
Or Shift-C to open a new compose window that's resizable.
Topic Author
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

Hello! Thanks for all the responses. A good discussion!

BenCahill - Welcome to Bogleheads! We need more IT pros like you!

So, a couple of questions: What precisely do I need to do to continue to receive Gmails on my Outlook 2013 after the May 30 "less-secure app" shutdown? How exactly would I connect using either Oath 2.0 or an App password? Typically during the day, Outlook remains open on my laptop, and emails populate my inbox as they arrive. Is there a way to set things up in my Outlook 2013 app so there's no change?

And lastly, will the "less-secure app" shutdown impact receipt of Gmails on my iPhone?

All advice gratefully received! Thanks again.
bencahill

Post by bencahill »

Jagger wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:07 pm Hello! Thanks for all the responses. A good discussion!

BenCahill - Welcome to Bogleheads! We need more IT pros like you!

So, a couple of questions: What precisely do I need to do to continue to receive Gmails on my Outlook 2013 after the May 30 "less-secure app" shutdown? How exactly would I connect using either Oath 2.0 or an App password? Typically during the day, Outlook remains open on my laptop, and emails populate my inbox as they arrive. Is there a way to set things up in my Outlook 2013 app so there's no change?

And lastly, will the "less-secure app" shutdown impact receipt of Gmails on my iPhone?

All advice gratefully received! Thanks again.
You can set up an App password to continue using Outlook 2013 as follows:
  1. Go to gmail.com in a web browser and sign into your Gmail account
  2. On the top right, click the circular profile icon (either your profile picture or the first letter of your name or email address) > Manage your Google Account
  3. On the left, click on Security, and then 2-Step Verification
  4. Follow the steps to link a phone number (I'm not sure of the details here, since it is already enabled on my account)
  5. Return to the Security page again, and click App passwords
  6. Select relevant items on the two dropdowns "Select app" and "Select device" (e.g. "Mail" and "Custom" > "Outlook 2013 on Jagger's laptop") and click Generate
  7. Copy and paste the generated password into Outlook 2013. (Note that you will not be able to see this password again after you leave this screen, so it might be prudent to write it down somewhere.)
Let me know if you need help finding where the password is on Outlook. You will need to update both the IMAP and SMTP passwords to be the new "App password". You should be able to find those under Control Panel > Mail (32-bit) > Profiles > Email Accounts > Email tab > Change.

Once the password is updated, your Outlook should continue to work the same is it is currently, even after the end of May.

As for the iPhone, I'm not sure on that, but I don't think you will have any problems. I think iPhones have been using OAuth access for quite a while, and thus should be unaffected. However, if for some reason your iPhone doesn't support OAuth, it could be fixed by using the same App password set up above (or by generating a second one for the iPhone). I would recommend just waiting on that, and if you have any problems, switching to an App password on it after the May 30 shutdown.