Free in-home Covid test Kits

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
D. C. Pline

Re: Free in-home Covid test Kits

Post by D. C. Pline »

D. C. Pline wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:48 pm
D. C. Pline wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:57 pm Just ordered. Quick and easy. Confirmation came right away. This is much easier than trying to find some at a store. Will keep them on hand in case I feel ill, or if I am considering being around a crowd of people.
And still waiting. It's been very cold here, so I run to the mailbox as soon as I hear it close. I keep fearing that the tests will get mistakenly delivered to my neighbor.
Now arrived. Well packaged. Expires next January, apparently.

Postal carrier missed delivery initially, but quickly turned around and came back!
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I placed my order on Jan 19th, nothing yet no notifications of delivery or on informed delivery.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I placed my order on January 18. Today I received 4 iHealth test kits that expire July 2022.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Still don't have mine. But demand is way down. I can readily get 8 BinaxNow tests (4 boxes) from Walmart with next day shipping and, like most people, can get them reimbursed by my health plan. Though non-private healthplans (e.g. Tricare) still don't pay for them, which is worth noting.
FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob »

Placed my order Jan 17, a day before it officially went live. Received just now Feb 14, 30 mins ago, in CA. Never received email confirmation, delivery notice, or tracking (in either inbox or spam).

Got 2 orange boxes of iHealth, each box containing 2 tests. Not thrilled about getting more made in China stuff, especially given the long shipping voyage and unpredictable temperature on the reagents in these tests. Box says to keep it between 36 to 86 degrees F. Expires 7/12/22 so they've been on the shelf for some time.
rob

Post by rob »

Never got mine (ordered day before official launch)... at this point I assume it's no longer a thing that exists.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

rob wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:14 am Never got mine (ordered day before official launch)... at this point I assume it's no longer a thing that exists.
Can still happen. I too ordered day before launch, got them just 2 days ago.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Ordered maybe a week ago, arrived yesterday.

Yeah, great timeliness, but I have two kits that I about November, that expire in 2023, so I didn't order right away.

The new kits expire in July this year. Grrr. My friend in my same county got hers a few weeks before I did, hers with 2023 expiration dates. :confused
diy60

Post by diy60 »

I placed my order the day before the official launch date, and rec'd my "made in China" test kits late last week.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Ordered on Jan 20
Confirmed on Jan 20

First tracking email said delivery on Feb 25
Second tracking email said delivery on Feb 22

Arrived today Feb 22

SD Biosensor manufactured in the Republic of Korea
Distributed by Roche Diagnostics

Expiration date: 07/26/2022
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You can now order a 2nd pack of four test kits: Get free at-⁠home COVID-⁠19 tests
Starting this week, every home in the U.S. will be able to order an additional set of 4 tests.
I just placed my 2nd order. The order screen shows:
U.S. households can place a total of #2 separate orders for free, at-home COVID-19 rapid tests (#4 tests per order). If an order was previously placed for your address, you can place a second order now.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

LadyGeek,

Thanks, I just placed my second order.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

Thanks for the info on ordering the 2nd set of tests.
I noticed the iHealth tests I received were made in China. I was hoping to get the Abbot BinaxNow test but guess I cannot complain as long as they work.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I received mine about 5 weeks after ordering. They are the iHealth versions. Mine expire August 6th 2022.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Thanks. I ordered my second batch. I went through my first batch with every-other day home testing when my relative was hospitalized for non-COVID reasons (not required by the hospital to visit since I was vaxxed and boosted, but it gave me peace of mind during the process).

I don't much care for the iHealth kits with all of the steps where one has to squeeze the tube, unscrew little caps, and precisely drop into the test card. If my hands were even a little bit shaky, it was a real pain to get a clean test. I feel for anyone who has any sort of manual dexterity issues with trying to use this kit. But I'm not going to turn away free kits.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Mudpuppy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:15 pm Thanks. I ordered my second batch.
This time around, I already received the confirmation email that the kits have been shipped. They're supposed to arrive by Monday, but given where they're shipping from and typical USPS delivery times from there, I expect they'll actually arrive by Friday or Saturday.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Mudpuppy wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:38 am
This time around, I already received the confirmation email that the kits have been shipped. They're supposed to arrive by Monday, but given where they're shipping from and typical USPS delivery times from there, I expect they'll actually arrive by Friday or Saturday.
We quickly got a similar confirmation email, indicating a relatively quick estimated arrival date.
I wonder if we'll get the same or different 'brand". Are the different brands sent out per region or per pot luck? :wink:

ETA: Duh! There were two emails waiting this morning.
The first stated the parcel would be delivered on Monday.
The second stated that the parcel is already out for delivery, and is supposed to be delivered late TODAY!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Received email stating expect delivery by Monday March 14.

We'll see.
IvanW

Post by IvanW »

I ordered my second set of test kits on Monday (apparently I jumped the gun by a day), and promptly received them in today's mail.
engel001

Post by engel001 »

If you have received your second set, what is the expiration date of the most recent kits? The administration ordered 1 billion tests of which 270 million were claimed in the first round mostly in February. I wonder if the new tests are from the same batch or have a later expiration date. Also, are there any from domestic production?? The set I got is made in China (iHealth). Doing the back-of-napkin math here, and I suspect there still will be many tests left over.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

engel001 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:42 pm If you have received your second set, what is the expiration date of the most recent kits? The administration ordered 1 billion tests of which 270 million were claimed in the first round mostly in February. I wonder if the new tests are from the same batch or have a later expiration date. Also, are there any from domestic production?? The set I got is made in China (iHealth). Doing the back-of-napkin math here, and I suspect there still will be many tests left over.
1st batch, ordered 1/18/2022, delievered 2/14/2022, expires 2/4/2023.

2nd batch, ordered 3/8/2022, delivered 3/10/2022, expires 4/30/2023.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:55 pm
engel001 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:42 pm If you have received your second set, what is the expiration date of the most recent kits? The administration ordered 1 billion tests of which 270 million were claimed in the first round mostly in February. I wonder if the new tests are from the same batch or have a later expiration date. Also, are there any from domestic production?? The set I got is made in China (iHealth). Doing the back-of-napkin math here, and I suspect there still will be many tests left over.

You got good expiration dates for both batches. Nice.

What brand did you get?

I'm wondering if the brands are geographically allotted, or some arbitrary process?

Thanks!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:16 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:55 pm

You got good expiration dates for both batches. Nice.

What brand did you get?

I'm wondering if the brands are geographically allotted, or some arbitrary process?

Thanks!
Abbot Labs, we are in the New England area.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

peppers wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:25 am Received email stating expect delivery by Monday March 14.

We'll see.
Same here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
engel001

Post by engel001 »

Well, just received my second set of iHealth tests. Expiration is 8/2022. The initial set I got in February will expire in June. Shipping to Southwest USA.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:10 am
We quickly got a similar confirmation email, indicating a relatively quick estimated arrival date.
I wonder if we'll get the same or different 'brand". Are the different brands sent out per region or per pot luck? :wink:

ETA: Duh! There were two emails waiting this morning.
The first stated the parcel would be delivered on Monday.
The second stated that the parcel is already out for delivery, and is supposed to be delivered late TODAY!

RM
Yup, it arrived early evening yesterday.
But the expiration date is something like August, of this year.

Meanwhile the first batch we got expires this month (March, 2022).
We had also purchased some just before learning about the freebies. Those include some that are dated til fall, 2022 (and also sooner), but nothing even approaching 2023.

I suppose we'll have a lot of opportunities to "practice" the testing procedure...
I wish there was more information about how much beyond the printed expiration date one can really use some of these. It might vary with the brand (?).

Does anyone happen to know if as they pass the printed expiration date (which I assume is very conservative, as it is with most drugs), is it just more likely to get a false negative or are false positives also a likely problem?
Two quite different issues, obviously.

RM
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

My first batch were iHealth expiring 7/22. My second batch (which arrived yesterday) are Roche expiring 8/22. Central USA.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My USPS email yesterday said the kits were arriving on 3/14. I got an email this morning stating that the kits were arriving today.

They just showed up. It's a single box pack of 4 tests. Distributed by Roche Labs, manufactured in the Republic of Korea.

From the website: COVID-19 At-Home Test
The manufacturing and expiry date can be found on the label of the kit box and on the back of the foil pouches inside the test kit.

Manufacturing date: 2022-02-25
Expiration date: 2022-08-21
peppers

Post by peppers »

peppers wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:25 am Received email stating expect delivery by Monday March 14.

We'll see.
Received kits today Friday March 11

Manufactured for iHealth Labs in China

Expiration date 07/14/2022
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:53 am Does anyone happen to know if as they pass the printed expiration date (which I assume is very conservative, as it is with most drugs), is it just more likely to get a false negative or are false positives also a likely problem?
Two quite different issues, obviously.

RM
That's a good question but probably can't be discussed on this forum. We're refraining from ordering another batch as our first batch expires May of this year and we haven't used it. Crossing fingers we never have to use it.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I received my kits today. It's four more iHealth kits expiring in August 2022. As noted above, I find the iHealth kits a little more annoying to use than other brands, but can't complain too much for free kits.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:02 pm Round 3 is now open. https://special.usps.com/testkits
Thanks very much!

RM
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:02 pm Round 3 is now open. https://special.usps.com/testkits
And now 8 tests at a time. Next 16, then 32, and so on, and so on, and so on...
"The demand for a free good is infinite." --- Jerry Pournelle
I'll put my order in soon.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Likewise, thanks! Order placed.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Thank you!
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Thank you!
Just ordered.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

tenkuky wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:14 am
Thank you!
Just ordered.
Thanks for the heads up.
8 versus 4 this time.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

SmileyFace wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:11 am
tenkuky wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:14 am
Thank you!
Just ordered.
Thanks for the heads up.
8 versus 4 this time.
I too have ordered these, thanks for mentioning!

The 8/month with no co-pay from my private health insurance also continue to be available. People should remember those, though not all insurance plans apparently cover them. e.g. Tricare (military medical) doesn't cover them I've heard from a friend who is covered by that.
worthit

Free additional Covid-19 home test kits available

Post by worthit »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

PSA:

https://www.covid.gov/tests
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post and reply discussing accuracy of the test kit results (medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Also see: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

My emailed confirmation consisted of two separate emails, each for 4 tests.
This third offer of Covid tests includes 8 tests.

And, there was a note:

"Note: If this is your first or second order, you can place another order."

RM
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged worthit's thread into the ongoing discussion.

I also removed a post discussing test kit results (medical advice).
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Just ordered round 3 tests.
Sent the link to my daughter and SIL as it is good timing for them having just booked a cruise.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
rob

Post by rob »

I was able to order 2 lots this round... got here this time.... Exp at start of Aug 2022 :oops: I mean.... Is this serious? I think the milk I got yesterday might have the tests beaten for used by dates....
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

rob wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:32 pm I was able to order 2 lots this round... got here this time.... Exp at start of Aug 2022 :oops: I mean.... Is this serious? I think the milk I got yesterday might have the tests beaten for used by dates....
I got 8 iHealth tests expiring in August. But note if you look at the iHealth website they have extended that for 3 months, saying: "As of Mar 29, the shelf life of iHealth tests with expiration dates on or before 2022-09-29 (YYYY-MM-DD) are extended for three months. Please click here for details or look up new expiration dates by lot numbers.". They are sending out different brands, so this may not apply to you.
rob

Post by rob »

Da5id wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:54 pm
rob wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:32 pm I was able to order 2 lots this round... got here this time.... Exp at start of Aug 2022 :oops: I mean.... Is this serious? I think the milk I got yesterday might have the tests beaten for used by dates....
I got 8 iHealth tests expiring in August. But note if you look at the iHealth website they have extended that for 3 months, saying: "As of Mar 29, the shelf life of iHealth tests with expiration dates on or before 2022-09-29 (YYYY-MM-DD) are extended for three months. Please click here for details or look up new expiration dates by lot numbers.". They are sending out different brands, so this may not apply to you.
Thx for that... + 3 months helps (they are all iHealth)....
tj

Post by tj »

I got 8 ihealth that expire July 20 2022...10 days after the original ones that were sent. Sounds like they were just trying to get rid of their inventory.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Da5id wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:15 am The 8/month with no co-pay from my private health insurance also continue to be available. People should remember those, though not all insurance plans apparently cover them. e.g. Tricare (military medical) doesn't cover them I've heard from a friend who is covered by that.
All private insurance is required to cover the 8 per month. As of last month, medicare began to cover the same amount. Based on their FAQ, it looks like TriCare is providing the 8 tests per person directly from their hospitals and clinics.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Katietsu wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:39 pm
Da5id wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:15 am The 8/month with no co-pay from my private health insurance also continue to be available. People should remember those, though not all insurance plans apparently cover them. e.g. Tricare (military medical) doesn't cover them I've heard from a friend who is covered by that.
All private insurance is required to cover the 8 per month. As of last month, medicare began to cover the same amount. Based on their FAQ, it looks like TriCare is providing the 8 tests per person directly from their hospitals and clinics.
Maybe the rules changed? I had a friend who was on Tricare and this is what she was told. https://www.tricare.mil/covid19testing# ... al%20order seems to still say you need a provider order.