Which European travel destination with young kids?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Which European travel destination with young kids?

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'm going with my spouse and two kids (ages 5 and 10) to Europe this summer and we're thinking about adding a 4 day side trip while over there. Ideal location would be some place kid friendly, safe, lower key (or at least not super crowded / busy), close to an airport, easy to get out in nature (or a beach), memorable, great culture & food would be a plus.

Where would you recommend?
dboeger1

Re: Which European travel destination with young kids?

Post by dboeger1 »

I've never been to Europe, so I can't really recommend specific locations from experience, but I can't help but wonder what exactly you mean by a 4-day side trip. How long is the main trip and where? You mentioned an airport... are you saying you would fly to and/or from this location? Is it 4 fulls days spent there, or 4 including transit?

I was going to recommend a river cruise. Even though they usually appeal to a much older crowd, I think the ability to view the changing landscape from the water and get a taste of a few different destinations while having meals taken care of by the crew would make for a nice itinerary with kids. Unfortunately, it looks like they're mostly longer than 4 days, so unless you could extend your side trip or do a partial river cruise, it's probably a no-go.

I don't know what your kids are into, but I know when I was young, I was fascinated by medieval architecture, mostly because I associated it with fantasy video games and movies. I'm sure there are lots of places in Europe that would fit the bill, but one that comes to mind is the stretch from Belgium from Brussels to the sea through Ghent and Bruges. Like I said, I've never been, but doing some quick reading, it sounds like it's relatively quick and easy to get around via train there.
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

Agree that knowing your starting point would be useful if you're thinking of this as a side trip. The UK countryside (Cotswolds, staying at Thornbury Castle) and Switzerland (Wengen) were their favorites at ages 9 and 11. I'd just stay out of the big cities and the party locales. As much as I love Amsterdam, for example, it might be a little much for a five year old.
DemySD

Post by DemySD »

Florence and then take one or more food tours into Tuscany while you're over there.

It's a city, so there's a lot of take in, but it's fairly low-key with gorgeous, natural beauty in every direction...very safe, great museums, pedestrian friendly and some of the best food in Italy. The views in Tuscany are unreal and it's dotted with beautiful medieval villages you can stop in for quick/day trips. I had an elite tour guide on a private Tuscany tour when I was last in Italy who I can refer you to if you're interested. You're also moderately close to some other major attractions like Cinque Terre and Bologna if you want non-Florence full day excursions, although the kids might put a wrench in something like that.
Watty

Post by Watty »

ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm I'm going with my spouse and two kids (ages 5 and 10) to Europe this summer and we're thinking about adding a 4 day side trip while over there.
I am confused about that.

If you are will already be over there and want suggestions about where to take a four day side trip to, then where you are already going to will make a huge difference.

The pandemic is still going on and there is no telling what travel restrictions will be in place this summer. Even if you just need to get tested when you cross borders that can be a big complication and for four people the expensive may be non-trivial.

Most likely the best thing to do would just be to stay in the country you will already be, and see a different part of it for the additional four days. I would be tempted to just get a rental car and to see something that is within driving distance of where you are starting from.
ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm easy to get out in nature (or a beach),
There are good beaches in Europe but a lot of them are rocky or have water quality problems(check on that). The beaches there have a hard time competing with beaches in California, Florida, Hawaii, or the Caribbean. I would save the beach time for a different trip to one of those places.

Doing something like castles or medieval towns would be a lot more unique to Europe.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Watty wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:55 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm I'm going with my spouse and two kids (ages 5 and 10) to Europe this summer and we're thinking about adding a 4 day side trip while over there.
I am confused about that.

If you are will already be over there and want suggestions about where to take a four day side trip to, then where you are already going to will make a huge difference.

The pandemic is still going on and there is no telling what travel restrictions will be in place this summer. Even if you just need to get tested when you cross borders that can be a big complication and for four people the expensive may be non-trivial.

Most likely the best thing to do would just be to stay in the country you will already be, and see a different part of it for the additional four days. I would be tempted to just get a rental car and to see something that is within driving distance of where you are starting from.
ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm easy to get out in nature (or a beach),
There are good beaches in Europe but a lot of them are rocky or have water quality problems(check on that). The beaches there have a hard time competing with beaches in California, Florida, Hawaii, or the Caribbean. I would save the beach time for a different trip to one of those places.

Doing something like castles or medieval towns would be a lot more unique to Europe.
Agree European beaches are disappointing compared to North American.

In August, when all the schools are on break, all of Europe goes to the beach - absolutely avoid a beach holiday in Europe in August - the crowds & the prices.

We are also shaping up for the hottest summer ever - it's already over 100F in Madrid (40C) -- in May.

That would tilt me towards an Alpine Holiday - lots of great walking in Austria or Switzerland (or France or even Italian Alps or the Dolomites (Slovenia)). Again, in August, it will be very busy & it won't be cheap. Depends really on where you start off. That or something with castles (depends on age & interests of the kids).
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Information needed:
* How long is your overall trip?
* What do your kids like to do?

General advice:
* For "first time in Europe", Paris is a good bet. Eiffel Tower, Seine cruise, Versaille day trip, etc...
* Side trip options to Loire Valley (castles), speed train to south of France, etc...
* Nice exposure to foreign language experience for kids (as opposed to London)
* Consider an open-jaw flight, so you don't have to backtrack to Paris

* Italy is a good bet as well. Rome for coliseum, St. Peters, Vatican, etc...
* Side trip options to Florence, Sienna, etc...

* Both of the above will be crowded in the summer (for good reason). If you want more low key and nature-oriented, Switzerland is a good bet. Hiking and outdoor fun, etc. down in the Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Zermatt general areas. Scenic train rides if the kids need a break from being active.

* In my experience, kids around that age won't really remember the specifics when they are older, so it's more about the travel experience. Don't overstress it by changing hotels too often, etc...
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

At ages 5 and 10, I would take my kids just about anywhere in Europe. I would just bring an umbrella stroller for the five year old for when they got tired walking.The five year old will have few if any memories of the trip and the ten year old will likely not care about where you go so I wouldn’t cater to them and would instead focus on what you want to see.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

How about Denmark? Tivoli, the Little Mermaid and the original Legoland.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

LeftCoastIV wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:08 am Information needed:
* How long is your overall trip?
* What do your kids like to do?

General advice:
* For "first time in Europe", Paris is a good bet. Eiffel Tower, Seine cruise, Versaille day trip, etc...
* Side trip options to Loire Valley (castles), speed train to south of France, etc...
* Nice exposure to foreign language experience for kids (as opposed to London)
* Consider an open-jaw flight, so you don't have to backtrack to Paris

* Italy is a good bet as well. Rome for coliseum, St. Peters, Vatican, etc...
* Side trip options to Florence, Sienna, etc...

* Both of the above will be crowded in the summer (for good reason). If you want more low key and nature-oriented, Switzerland is a good bet. Hiking and outdoor fun, etc. down in the Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Zermatt general areas. Scenic train rides if the kids need a break from being active.

* In my experience, kids around that age won't really remember the specifics when they are older, so it's more about the travel experience. Don't overstress it by changing hotels too often, etc...
Switzerland is a good suggestion. Tyrolia (Austria; Sud Tirole is actually in Italy) is also a possibility (Innsbruck & then various valleys, eg the Steubel (Neustift) is about 1 hour from Innsbruck and there is a comfortable hourly bus to Innsbruck (the train is actually a little more hassle, in that you have to change to a bus at an intervening town - train gets very crowded because it has spectacular views from up the side of the valley, but we decided that for comfort & convenience getting to and from Innsbruck, the bus would do).

I have been in Rome in summer.

I did not enjoy it. It is hot, the crowds are severe (maybe better in August as the locals get out of town). Air conditioning is nothing so ubiquitous nor effective as its American equivalent (the retail price of electricity is about 3x and the standard household connection will, for example, trip if you have both AC & an electric kettle on at the same time).

Things like the Forum just have no shade whatsoever - the best time to go is often 1 hour or so before closing time.

I agree that Paris has a lot to offer. Paris in August is curiously double sided: the locals are all away on holiday (many smaller shops & restaurants will be closed) but conversely the tourists are out in force. It's not a bad time to visit Paris-- less traffic, less commuter hassle. The Zoo has been revamped I believe, and there are family-oriented museums (the Louvre & the Musee D'Orsay are of course completely unique, but also crowded and tiring).

France is on holiday in August. That does mean tourist places like La Touraine (Loire Valley), Brittany, French Alps, are very busy and full. But usually you can find some sort of accommodation.

(the only exception to that rule is Sweden, and possibly other Scandinavian countries. Where the national vacation period is in July, not August, to coincide w summer solstice, originally).

My usual exhortations about petty crime in Europe in tourist centres - the pickpockets, phone stealers etc are plentiful and skilled, and as a tourist one is frequently distracted-- Paris and Rome are both very bad (for all I know, so is London). Any valuables keep in the hotel room safe or safe behind the front desk.

The suggestion to try to confine ones trips to 1-2 countries is perhaps a good one. I am not sure what the situation is with Covid checks between European countries right now, but of course renewed controls could be imposed.

For the same reason, I wouldn't recommend a hop across the Channel ie to England. We have no entry controls at the moment, we are not likely to. But you have to leave and then re-enter the EU, in both cases using the "non citizen" queues.

If one does decide to do London, from Paris say, then take the Eurostar to Kings Cross-- that's fun in and of itself. Do just 1-2 things such as: the London Eye (near Waterloo station*) and the Tower of London (Tower Hill station) or perhaps St Paul's Cathedral (Millennium Footbridge, from Tate Modern art museum which is about half way between Waterloo and Tower Bridge). Walk along the South Bank (eg from the Eye (upriver) down to Tower Bridge (opposite the Tower of London). That's at least a day's worth of activities. OR even take one of those double decker tour buses (if it's not raining; if it is raining, the ordinary buses just need a chip-and-pin card to pay) which is, in fact, one of the very best things about London.

TBH I think London is more fun when a child is older & can get into the history.

* the cabins on the Eye (wheel) are all transparent, so they would be *hot* on a warm sunny day.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue May 17, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

The Dordogne region of southwestern France is lovely in the summer. Rolling hills and many charming villages along the river valley, some castles and ruins to explore, lots of excellent markets and restaurants. With kids that age, you could spend a day kayaking the relatively calm river. Cave drawings at Lascaux nearby. It's the capitol of foie gras if you're into that. And of course, wine. :sharebeer

Probably easiest to fly into Bordeaux and rent a car. You should be able to rent a villa with a pool for a reasonable price.

If your kids can handle long hikes (my 5-year-old probably could not), I second the Lauterbrunnen suggestion. We arrived into town at night, and the views from the valley were literally jaw-dropping when I woke up in the morning. You can take an (expensive) train to the top of the Eiger, and bounce around the mountain towns by aerial cableway.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Talinn, Estonia, is like a real world theme park.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Go with the kids and stay on a farm. They will like the animals. Probably could do this in the Dordogne region where my family rented a French manor house and had a great time.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Great, thanks all. All good info. We still need to finalize things and do more research but based on the responses I'm leaning towards Switzerland or Italy.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm ... lower key (or at least not super crowded / busy)...
Europeans tend to migrate south over the summer. So from a crowd aspect the further north the less crowded. But, if you do head south, Italians (as best I can tell) are largely on holiday throughout August meaning lots of locals traveling around and lots of things are shutdown.
safari

Post by safari »

Croatia is off the beaten path, and everyone who went there is raving about it. Not crowded, beautiful country with friendly people and great food.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm I'm going with my spouse and two kids (ages 5 and 10) to Europe this summer and we're thinking about adding a 4 day side trip while over there. Ideal location would be some place kid friendly, safe, lower key (or at least not super crowded / busy), close to an airport, easy to get out in nature (or a beach), memorable, great culture & food would be a plus.

How about Munich, with a side trip to places on the "Romantic Road" such as Rothenburg?

For one thing, a lot of Bavaria looks like a Disney movie, which I'd imagine a kid would think is pretty cool. There's the famous glockenspiel clock in the center of town. Lots of museums a kid might like (BMW Museum, Bavarian Film Museum, Deutsches Museum). Good desserts and pretzels, etc. The famed Hofbrauhaus is family-friendly, although it can be a bit of a zoo... maybe go during off-peak times of the day?

For your nature fix, you could head over to the English Garden, check out the surfers and the Chinese Tower. Maybe go for a boat ride. Although be prepared for potentially encountering a few "european-style" sunbathers. :shock:
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ThankYouJack wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:30 am Great, thanks all. All good info. We still need to finalize things and do more research but based on the responses I'm leaning towards Switzerland or Italy.
Don't underestimate just how hot Italy gets.

And also that all of Europe has the same idea, from late July through August.

Switzerland is expensive, but it's clean, efficient. Not too hot.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ThankYouJack wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:42 pm I'm going with my spouse and two kids (ages 5 and 10) to Europe this summer and we're thinking about adding a 4 day side trip while over there. Ideal location would be some place kid friendly, safe, lower key (or at least not super crowded / busy), close to an airport, easy to get out in nature (or a beach), memorable, great culture & food would be a plus.

I would absolutely check out Rick Steve's books & website for ideas.

His guide to backpacking around Europe was my first introduction to the continent, 30 years ago, and I still treasure it.
delamer

Post by delamer »

dboeger1 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:09 pm I've never been to Europe, so I can't really recommend specific locations from experience, but I can't help but wonder what exactly you mean by a 4-day side trip. How long is the main trip and where? You mentioned an airport... are you saying you would fly to and/or from this location? Is it 4 fulls days spent there, or 4 including transit?

I was going to recommend a river cruise. Even though they usually appeal to a much older crowd, I think the ability to view the changing landscape from the water and get a taste of a few different destinations while having meals taken care of by the crew would make for a nice itinerary with kids. Unfortunately, it looks like they're mostly longer than 4 days, so unless you could extend your side trip or do a partial river cruise, it's probably a no-go.

I don't know what your kids are into, but I know when I was young, I was fascinated by medieval architecture, mostly because I associated it with fantasy video games and movies. I'm sure there are lots of places in Europe that would fit the bill, but one that comes to mind is the stretch from Belgium from Brussels to the sea through Ghent and Bruges. Like I said, I've never been, but doing some quick reading, it sounds like it's relatively quick and easy to get around via train there.
Most/all river cruise companies don’t allow anyone under age 18 to cruise.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils